• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Review Thread (PS5)

McCarth

Love to see this reaction. Can't wait to play it this weekend, hope as many people who can buy this. What Sony has done here is critical for the industry to move forward, both in championing and taking risks on underserved types of gaming and most importantly, letting a studio stay independent in the process.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

oBDh7EG.jpg

Coincidence in this world is like winning in the loterry.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's a legit great game with tons of references to older and newer games and what's interesting about it is the synergies that can make you overpowered or ruin an awesome run (fuck soy milk).
Let me give you an example you can have a run where you shootlittle nails but with barely any damages then come across an item that makes you shoot laser which can be a bad thing since you lose the knockback effect that pushes the ennemy away from you when you shoot it.
But since your previous tears were nails that increase knockback now your laser has knockback and enemies can barely approach you and that happens constantly in the game for better or worse.
It was offered on the ps+ maybe you have it in your library.
Try it and maybe you'll get the the visuals to like the game.

Can't force myself through that torture, but really happy that you love it! It's something I might try on my cellphone while waiting for something in a public place.

chinoXL

Is it though? $109-$125 AUD here in Australia for returnal

Last generation new release games were commonly $69-$79 AUD at launch.

I am happy to miss all the B grade games at launch at those prices, pick them up later in the bargain bin.
for other countries i can feel your pain..i'm speaking from the USA perspective..should have started with that

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I mean it begs the question, why are you in this thread when you A) don’t have a PS5 and B) don’t like the genre of game?
Because someone quoted my post from another thread asking for it to be on psn+

don’t worry not posting in the official thread. Since like you said I don’t have much of an interest in the game.

Last edited:

chinoXL

Personally I’m not intentionally knocking the game itself. How long before they are £80 or £90? Gaming isn’t cheap as it is. We got the Days Gone guy yelling if they want a sequel more people should’ve bought the game yet Sony lauded the original games sales the year it came out. We also have publishers still trying to justify loot boxes and shit like that.
agreed it is a fine line they have to walk. i get it, cost of production, tech and marketing goes up so they need to recoup some of that but i HATE the push of loot boxes..that part i can't stand

skit_data

One of swedens biggest gaming sites (fz.se) gave the game 3/5 so i guess Grubb isn’t entirely alone.

Still find it curious that most sites gave it at least 9/10, and some 6/10. Thats quite a gap. IGN comes across as somewhat in between with their 8/10 score.

ethomaz

Banned
ethomaz ethomaz is your Profile on here a picture of you?

I always thought it was a picture of Jim Carrey :messenger_grinning_sweat:
That is the real me... very old pic (maybe 2009 I guess) where I was the first man in the wedding of my buddy.
I'm a bit different now (older) and with beard.

That one is very recent from late March 🤭 ohhh my beard is getting white but weirdly the hair not.

158720465_10218533131111644_5010335996607624679_n.jpg

PS. Yeap in 2009 I used to play over 5 hours per day... today well maybe 1 hours max (big releases I play 3-4 hours straight).

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, i really hope GamesBeat is gonna give Jeff Grubb at least some shit for that review. Like, it's not even well written - i'm not even a journalist and english isn't my native language either, but i'm sure i could publish a better written review than him.

People like to worship Jeff Grub In the Gaming Leaks and Rumours subreddit - it's a Xbox sub in disguise anyway - but i hope some folks wake up and realize that this dude is a Xbox shill, and everything he talks about is pro Xbox and contra PlayStation. Only occasionally he will say something good about Playstation, just so he has something to prove next time when he defends himself for not being a fanboy.

Haggard

Banned
After watching some reviews I guess I´m out.
I don`t think I have the patience level required to not throw my controller into the TV when I get thrown back to square zero after dying the 10th time on a boss even after a 90+ minute prep run beforehand.....

You masochists enjoy the hell out of it :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Tg89

Watched a few reviews and checked some streams, seems like these guys knocked it out of the park.

While I get the $70 lol crowd, I'm on the other side. Roguelikes have been one of my favourite genres for a while and I'm ecstatic some developer took the chance on making one with a large scale/budget/production values. Hope this opens the door for other devs to do the same.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Toward the complaints about Housemark made Selen less attractive or less of a Woman:
Here is Anne Beyer , the german Actress who plays her.

MV5BMjM2M2RhNmMtZTIyNS00OWFjLWJhMzMtNDAyY2M3YTFkZGMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

So we see that even the real Person has quite some androgynous features.

She really has that academic look to her and I think that's realy fitting here. As the astronauts we saw in real life so far all fell in that direction rather that let's say looking like Pamela Anderson..
She looks like any academic and strong woman trope in SciFi. Nothing wrong with that.

But I can see why those who get frustrated can't make her into a body pillow.

NahaNago

Congrats to Housemarquee. I was expecting this game to be in the mid to high 70s and they are pretty much 10 points on both critic averages. Still iffy on whether I will ever buy this game since I'm not into roguelike games.

wipeout364

Housemarque is developing another exclusive already??? When did they state this?
Housemarque might as well be exclusive to Sony I think almost every game they have released has been Sony exclusive . It’s surprising Sony hasn’t just bought them at this point.
I am a little disappointed to hear Returnal is a rogue like, I never really picked up on that before this thread, but I will still pick it up when there are PS5’s around and it’s discounted(rarely buy rogue like games at release).

Top Bottom