• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal's peak player count is 5642 on Steam!

ClosBSAS

It's a stuttering mess so I avoided it. I would have gladly bought it. If they fix it I'll buy it. I want it to be successful.
and you know this why? cause a bunch of overexaggerated gamers with toaster pcs say it? game runs smooth as fuck....its been confirmed rt is the culprit....and even with rt is not half as bad as ppl say it is. it still runs and loosk better than the ps5 version in every single regard.

Kerotan

60 dollars....

Sony has two options, release day and date with the ps5 or launch at half the price...you don't get both.

The last hurrah is last of us part 1....if that doesnt do big numbers...with the boost of the TV show too....Then they need to re evaluate if they are dedicated to this PC initiative or not.
They can just sell copies at that normal price and get all the cheap skates with sales down the line.

Chukhopops

Reminds me of the time people said this game would become super popular after being added to PS+ lmao.

Time to face it, it’s really close to being good but it misses the mark and it seems there’s no more patch or support coming.

Maybe it will work in a « 10 Tera-FLOPS bundle» with Sackboy, Dreams, Gravity Rush and 6 others.

Also get RoR 2 if you want a good roguelite TPS:

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They can just sell copies at that normal price and get all the cheap skates with sales down the line.

Calling people cheap skates for not wanting to part with 60 dollars for a two year old game is a bit off imo.

Sony needs to incentivize pc gamers and not just expect loads of sales because other games do well.

The reason those do well is that they are there day one.

They want to have their cake and eat it too, don't release an old game full price, it's a fucking bizarre practice and they get surprised pikachu face when it underperforms.

Release it launch window, or release it at a discount, not spending 60 while there's actual new games releasing for the same price as well.

Banjo64

cumsessed
They make very good games, I loved Resogun, just doubt they’ll ever be played by 10s of thousands of people concurrently.

Mr.Phoenix

Great game, but this comes down to the ridiculousness of the current game pricing scheme. Once you start telling people to pay $70 for a game, they are going to start looking at every purchase with more scrutiny. $70 is just past the impulse buy price for games (which I believe is actually $50). This game would probably have sod 10 times more if it was priced at $40.

Right now, I believe only the absolute best of the best games can command a $70 price.

.Pennywise

Banned
Stop trying to convince people that this game is the big thing.

Game's great, but as a roguelite it falls flat on its face.

PC audience is used to play late ports, don't expect them to act like the next Sony fanboy running straight away to buy a 2 years old game for full price.

Hot5pur

Even with it being $40 on keysites, it's still a hard sell. It's a repetitive rogue-like with limited content. Compare that To Hi-Fi rush at $30.
Sony needs to be less arrogant with its PC releases, putting them out at full price and all. They are already pissing off their loyal fanboys who get triggered every time a PS5 exclusive makes it to PC, now they also disrespecting the PC crowd.
If this launched at $40 retail it would have been an attractive proposition.

Kerotan

Calling people cheap skates for not wanting to part with 60 dollars for a two year old game is a bit off imo.

Sony needs to incentivize pc gamers and not just expect loads of sales because other games do well.

The reason those do well is that they are there day one.
So many PC games have modest launches but long legs when it's cheap.

Stuart360

Yes i'll admit i expected better due to the kind of game it is. I really thought this could get up toGOW and Horizon levels, again due to the kind of game it is.

I think its the price thats putting people off. Rightly or wrongly, a lot of PC gamers wont buy a game if they feel they are being taken advantage of, and if you read the forums for this game, a lot of poeple think charging full price for a year old game is wrong. And its not just with Sony, when devs take Epics moneyhat money, then release their game on Steam a year later, they need a decent discount or Steam users will NOT bite.

Pretty sure Sony's successes on PC so far, the likes of HZD and GOW, all released at a lower price.

If you want to charge full price and get good sales, they will need to release day and date, like MS does.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I wonder how much discount will it get during the next sale.

Kerotan

Yep its the PC way as PC gamers are not living from game to game release.
And i have no doubt over time Returnal will do fine.
Neither are PlayStation gamers yet with still buy full priced games in our droves. I've a 13 game backlog currently but yet I'll be buying 4 games Day 1 this year.

I guess when your rig only set's you back 500 in the case of a ps5 you don't feel you have to scrounge on software.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I thought PC gamers would appreciate this game more than the ps5 gamers. Very disappointing. Only 500k sold on ps5 in the first three months and this doesn’t look like it will be a big hit here either.

Game is phenomenal. Still the best Sony game this Gen. Deserves better. Definitely worth the $60. If pc games don’t want to spend $60 on these games let alone $70 then Sony shouldnt bother.

Last edited:

Fbh

It just seems like a bad timing and pricing for this.
A full priced port of a 2 years old game right next to a massive hit like Hogwards Legacy or the new Dead Space Remake will innevitably struggle.

Also IMO the game isn't worth full price. I played it through Ps+ Extra and had my fun with it but I don't think it's as amazing as some people say. While the core combat is extremely solid I didn't think the Roguelite elements were that well implemented, and it ends up just highlighting the rather low amount of content, even the visuals are pretty bland aside from some cool particle effects.

Last edited:
I'm hoping Sony's PC initiative ends with these "first part" games, give PC players a taste of greatness and make them buy a PS5 if they ever want to play the Sequels.

But I am okay with MP games coming to PC so long as the anti-cheat is good and controller/m&kb balancing is done well.

Kacho

I assume Hogwarts Legacy is a big problem. Didn't they also release Uncharted 4 around the same time as Modern Warfare 2? Their release timing is awful.
Yeah it’s been a rough couple launches for them. Doesn’t help that they’re charging premium prices for butt old ports. Square was smart enough to launch FF7R at a deep discount, but even that underperformed.

Larxia

I'm hoping Sony's PC initiative ends with these "first part" games, give PC players a taste of greatness and make them buy a PS5 if they ever want to play the Sequels.

But I am okay with MP games coming to PC so long as the anti-cheat is good and controller/m&kb balancing is done well.
What does it change for you on ps5 if people on PC can play those games too?

fermcr

A two year old game selling at full price... no wounder it doesn't have great sales.

If you sell a two year old game at full price on any platform, it won't sell as much as if was brand new.

Last edited:

nowhat

Gold Member
Hey I'm one of those Steam Players. Returnal is...a brutal game at first. I both enjoyed and was frustrated by it. How in the hell did people play this on controller?
It's not so much about precision aiming (you can turn off auto-aim on consoles if you're "that guy") but rather precision movement. Which, incidentally, is very good on a controller as you can direct your dash to a particular direction instead of only the cardinal directions.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Really? Damn…

Wonder what the budget for this game was.
I still don't even think it's a AAA game. It's randomized rocks, and some sick tentacle animations and a little particle effects. It looks great visually, but mostly down to a solid art style. Housemarque never makes giant games. The hype around it being some graphical next gen showpiece was confusing for me. I don't think the budget was THAT high. They put a lot into sound design though. The game has many good qualities, but also some core design issues (imho).

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Yeah well that's what you get when you overprice your content and release it 2 years later for almost the same price.

either day one with the PS version, or fuck off. we are not leftovers :/

PC gamers bought spider man and GOW to show sony there is a demand for PC ( plus they are Sony's biggest IPs ). but that doesn't apply to all your games.

Sack boy, Returnal, Days Gone they all flopped. for the same reason. way too late and charge way too much.

Also, magic is gone once its no longer PS exclusive lol :p

nowhat

Gold Member
some sick tentacle animations and a little particle effects
The tentacles are, in fact, particles as well.

The video will spoil a ton of stuff, so you have been warned. But the tech - it's really, really good. To take such a generic engine as UE4 and turn it into what's here is nothing short of amazing. Housemarque have their tech chops.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The tentacles are, in fact, particles as well.

The video will spoil a ton of stuff, so you have been warned. But the tech - it's really, really good. To take such a generic engine as UE4 and turn it into what's here is nothing short of amazing. Housemarque have their tech chops.

That is cool. I guess they've been playing with that since Resogun. I'll watch it later.

Top Bottom