• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal's peak player count is 5642 on Steam!

Yeah well that's what you get when you overprice your content and release it 2 years later for almost the same price.

either day one with the PS version, or fuck off. we are not leftovers :/

PC gamers bought spider man and GOW to show sony there is a demand for PC ( plus they are Sony's biggest IPs ). but that doesn't apply to all your games.

Sack boy, Returnal, Days Gone they all flopped. for the same reason. way too late and charge way too much.

Also, magic is gone once its no longer PS exclusive lol :p
Wouldn‘t call it a flop, the games have already been made, porting them to PC is literally almost no work at all except some Steam contracting and bureaucrazy stuff, so even if it‘s just a few hundred people who buy it, it‘s extra cash for Sony. And they certainly don‘t want people to hop over from PS to PC, so they‘re probably calculating how much effort they‘re putting in the PC port to not lose any potential customer on PS.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Christ even Wild Hearts currently has 26k ingame, and thats a technical mess and terrible game with 'Mostly negative' reviews.
It a NEW game though charging full price.

Comandr

Returnal was an excellent experience on ps5. A steep price to be sure but I enjoyed every minute of it from start to finish. That said, it’s a stuttery fuckin mess on PC. Feels like a Hogwarts situation where it prepares shaders in the beginning but not all of them for some reason?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Also what an awful compound insult to Sony fanboys:

Insult 1) Release Sony's "pearls" on PC
Insult 2) PC gamers go "meh" and carry on playing their other games
I mean yeah, the game looks kinda cool, but I also have 100+ other cool looking games on my wishlist + another 50 or so that I've already bought and need to play.

So yeah, not going to get a roguelite day 1 for 60€.

Last edited:

Tg89

I get the idea that the price should be lower given it's an older game.

The idea that the price should be lower because it's a rogue lite is stupid and reductive. Would love for us to be able to see what larger budget rogue lites could do if they could find a place in the market.

Anyway, I double dipped happily. Will be a shame if it does poorly but I'm sure housemarque will be releasing more games regardless.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's not so much about precision aiming (you can turn off auto-aim on consoles if you're "that guy") but rather precision movement. Which, incidentally, is very good on a controller as you can direct your dash to a particular direction instead of only the cardinal directions.
I guess I should have guess there was aim assist. Thing is though, it's not really the aim or even the movement I was concerned about. It's more about how much my head was on a swivel. I suppose with aim assist it allows controller to use higher sensitivity if needed then.

dDoc

Don't sleep on this game PCMR. One hell of a time.

But yeah 60 buckaroos might be a bit too steep.

Metnut

Not surprised. 99% of people who want to play this game already own a PS5. Who wants to wait years to play the best games?

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
this was clearly an experiment trying to elevate Housemarque gameplay with more of "cinematic" or PlayStation sensibility. but they made a mistake making Lucy O'Brien the protagonist.

i wondering what is next for them. at this point I would like to see a VR game even a port of Returnal to VR as a half-step.

Holammer

It's a single player game, the amount of Steam user reviews 6-12 months later is the best way to gauge if it sold well.
When and if it breaks 20k reviews is what you should look for.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Also what an awful compound insult to Sony fanboys:

Insult 1) Release Sony's "pearls" on PC
Insult 2) PC gamers go "meh" and carry on playing their other games
But thats precisely what the 'fanboys' had predicted when Sony first announced their PC initiative. Hell, they were labeled fanboys for simply pointing out that the market for their games on PC isnt as large as some would have you believe, but simply pointing that out apparently turned you into a bitter fanboy.

phant0m

Already paid full price for it on PS5. Want to pick it up again to play co-op on PC but I ain’t playing more than $40.

Preferably $30 if I’m honest.

GametimeUK

and you know this why? cause a bunch of overexaggerated gamers with toaster pcs say it? game runs smooth as fuck....its been confirmed rt is the culprit....and even with rt is not half as bad as ppl say it is. it still runs and loosk better than the ps5 version in every single regard.
I'll wait for the DF tech review to make my mind up on the stutter. From what I've seen so far from every video I've clicked on is an insufferable amount of stutter just like every other recent PC game.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'll wait for the DF tech review to make my mind up on the stutter. From what I've seen so far from every video I've clicked on is an insufferable amount of stutter just like every other recent PC game.
People on this very forum say that it gets muuuch better when disabling RT. That said yeah, I'd still wait for reviews to be 100% sure.

Stuart360

Thats not true at all. Things change from rig to rig.
I only get the odd single stutter to 59fps with Returnal, which is barely noticable.
I'm playing at vsynced 60fps with no RT though.
Its the RT that seems to be causing the most problems.

ClosBSAS

not at all....i am playing with rt on and its very smooth...yes, a hicucp here and there...but its been said and confirmed that the culprit is RT. Disable RT and you will get a much smoother and better experience than the ps5 version.
granted i haave a high end PC and maybe some ppl try to run their games on a toaster. but for certain, its nowhere near as bad as callisto, hogwarts or dead space...shit is smooth sailing compared to those.

once again, overly dramatic people.

Interfectum

One could argue the need for Sony to push hard and fast on PC is going away thanks to the PS5 stock issues being cleared up. They could easily slow down releases if they don't perform to expectations.

//DEVIL//

Wouldn‘t call it a flop, the games have already been made, porting them to PC is literally almost no work at all except some Steam contracting and bureaucrazy stuff, so even if it‘s just a few hundred people who buy it, it‘s extra cash for Sony. And they certainly don‘t want people to hop over from PS to PC, so they‘re probably calculating how much effort they‘re putting in the PC port to not lose any potential customer on PS.
what are you talking about ? if there were only 2 guys in the marketing department that made the 2 youtube trailer for the PC version probably got paid by sony more than how much sales Sony got after steam cut.

let alone the third guy who posted the video on the PS blog lololol.

that's assuming the port was made by itself and no one did any development for it and it got magical PC stuff like dlss and proper ray tracing and ultra-wide support. all these came from heaven as a gift no one developed those lol.

7000 x 60 = 420k$ - people refunded it for shitty stuttering, - Steam cut = pack of cigarettes for sony to smoke while they are thinking about the future lol ( kidding .. i thnk )

Last edited:

k_trout

I have not bought any of this years 3 big releases because I'm waiting for a price drop
thats just the reality of the situation, full price these days is fool price

Graciaus

I was never that interested it was more everyone saying I should be instead. If the game is as good as everyone here claims it will have legs and sell a lot more on sales. I'm busy with other things and it is not cheap for the genre.

I think I've bought every single Housemarque game, except this one. Played Returnal on PS++ for quite a ways before petering out. I don't think I have any interest in going back to it, it's just not Twin Stickey enough for me.

solidus12

Loved Returnal.
4bg4wIh.jpg

I don't play on PC... So, I am curious what expectations were for Returnal... Obviously 5,600 is bad... but, what would be good? or at least moderately acceptable?

I got the game for free, played for 20 minutes, and put it down.

I'll return at some point, but my point is that I don't think this is indicative of how successful or not this game will be.

I think people need to stop thinking Sony games are all going to sell a million copies the first week, Sony certainly didn't think that would be the case here.

They could have dropped this at 30 like Hi-Fi Rush, but they are looking for some return (no pun intended) over time.

I don't play on PC... So, I am curious what expectations were for Returnal... Obviously 5,600 is bad... but, what would be good? or at least moderately acceptable?

Spider-Man Remastered topped like 66K at launch for concurrent players. No one thought return would be 1/10th as successful as Spider-Man. That being said, it should have legs and will get numerous life cycles as the price drops.

ClosBSAS

DF video is up...as expected and said, RT is the culprit, performance is not bad at all and looks and plays better than ps5.

Mid range cpus will suffer the most, as expected. Toasters not allowed to have fun. Confirms he spoke to devs to implement FSR 2.0 AND DLSS 3 in the future and a patch incoming.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Very compelling graphics, worlds and worth a play through their job on the second Returnal should be open world building, competitive multiplayer with lobbies, I think Returnal 2 trailer will happen this year.

Top Bottom