• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revisiting: Jonathan Blow devtalk "we don't expect software to work anymore"

Latest example:

Diablo 4 can't add extra stash tabs for players because when you're in the vicinity of another player their entire stash is loaded into your memory.

Why would that even be the case and why is that so taxing?

It’s not an MMO by any margin, so at most you see like 12 people on your screen.
And the inventory shouldn’t be more than an array of integer id’s for every item.

So this is either a load of bullshit or I am a better programmer than the people working at Blizzard (which I can assure you is not the case).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Latest example:

Diablo 4 can't add extra stash tabs for players because when you're in the vicinity of another player their entire stash is loaded into your memory.

Sad, really. The tech debt in that game is much larger than it really needed to be. This shit was a problem in Diablo 3 and they still never did anything about it.

Q: What are the technical limitations preventing us from adding more stash tabs?

To explain this, we have to start with the foundation on which Diablo III is built.

Most objects in the games are actors: special effects, enemies, summons, followers, and items. Gems, weapons, armor, potions, pets, crafting materials, and more; all the things we love to horde. All players in a party sync on everything that every player has - in memory, all the time.

That doesn't sound like a lot at first, but it adds up very fast. The more actors active in a game (like enemies on screen AND items in your stash), the more the game will tax your system's memory. This issue on console is particularly difficult because there is a limit to how much system memory we can access. PC is more flexible in this manner, which is why we're able to add more stash space there.

On console, we tried lowering the number of tabs to be added, but there was still an unacceptable rise in latency and rubberbanding. As much as we'd all enjoy the additional stash space, it's not worth the cost to gameplay.

Why would that even be the case and why is that so taxing?

It’s not an MMO by any margin, so at most you see like 12 people on your screen.
And the inventory shouldn’t be more than an array of integer id’s for every item.

So this is either a load of bullshit or I am a better programmer than the people working at Blizzard (which I can assure you is not the case).
yeah i dont understand how the stash is anything more complicated than a comma delineated spreadsheet, which you can manage in notepad.exe ffs

404games

Banned
(for the nerds)
actually the inventory systems in games & state over the network
(& specifically Diablo)
can be complicated technical problem:
Here's the dev who did Warcraft & later updated Diablo (Pat Wyatt)
talking about the technical problems
with client server code and client server state:

Top Bottom