• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Microsoft has tried the first path and it did not work at all. We believe we have a meaningful subscription service." - Jim Ryan

Pelta88

Although it feels unlikely I can't say it is impossible for them to make more money off COD eople by releasing day and date. But no serious person was including COD on a list of games that people don't buy on Xbox.

Really?

Microsoft themselves also Activision before the purchase both called GP Value destructive to COD. In court and to various regulators across the globe and you think there's a possibility they make money from a failing service. MS has resorted to obfuscating GP numbers for PR purposes. We know how much it takes to Dev COD for an annual release. GP is going to blow a tectonic plate sized hole in that number when they fail to recoup.

NickFire

Really?

Microsoft themselves also Activision before the purchase both called GP Value destructive to COD. In court and to various regulators across the globe and you think there's a possibility they make money from a failing service. MS has resorted to obfuscating GP numbers for PR purposes. We know how much it takes to Dev COD for an annual release. GP is going to blow a tectonic plate sized hole in that number when they fail to recoup.
I said it feels unlikely. I just cannot say it is literally "impossible." I don't think any of us can without a crystal ball.

Pelta88

I said it feels unlikely. I just cannot say it is literally "impossible." I don't think any of us can without a crystal ball.

Not really crystal ball territory.

XB/MS/ACTI themselves put that info out there. The service is so value destructive that they're now placing their ip on other platforms after almost oath like promises to keep their ip exclusive. Kotick said it best...

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No. A ‘lie’ in this context means Phil and MS always planned to keep all Bethesda games multiplatform when that statement was made, and knew by 2021 that Redfall would crash and burn and Starfield would underperform.

Why is this so hard for people to understand?

The current reality doesn’t have anything to do with this.
Ah you are trying the George Costanza defence:
b15tSHN.gif

:LOL: .

ReBurn

Gold Member
Ah you are trying the George Costanza defence:
b15tSHN.gif

:LOL: .
Not sure that's it at all.

To go back to 2020 and dredge something up to frame it as an explicit lie that way sets up the argument that Phil Spencer had a functional knowledge of exactly what was going to happen in the future and chose to intentionally lie about it years in advance, weaving an intricate pattern of lies on top of lies.

Occam's razor would suggest that it's more easily explained as Spencer being an idiot and making dumb guesses in the moment that turn out to be wrong, then having to change course because he doesn't know what he's doing.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No. A ‘lie’ in this context means Phil and MS always planned to keep all Bethesda games multiplatform when that statement was made, and knew by 2021 that Redfall would crash and burn and Starfield would underperform.

Why is this so hard for people to understand?

The current reality doesn’t have anything to do with this.

Yes....that's exactly what some of us are saying. We don't buy that Phil honestly believed that Gamepass helps games sell more copies. We too think he was lying there also. Maybe that's the difference between some of us and you. In these cases you seem to believe Phil knew less than he we think he knew about what was going on.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not sure that's it at all.

To go back to 2020 and dredge something up to frame it as an explicit lie that way sets up the argument that Phil Spencer had a functional knowledge of exactly what was going to happen in the future and chose to intentionally lie about it years in advance, weaving an intricate pattern of lies on top of lies.

Occam's razor would suggest that it's more easily explained as Spencer being an idiot and making dumb guesses in the moment that turn out to be wrong, then having to change course because he doesn't know what he's doing.

The bolded is hard for me to agree with. I refuse to think Phil is just this dumb and that much of an idiot. To me and many others, Phil always knew the current realities were possible but decided to lie to Xbox gamers in the hopes that GamePass would save them.

But if every other big Publisher exec knew GP was value destructive, why wouldn't Phil? He has the numbers! NO! He's a liar and just probably expected Daddy MS to keep pumping money into his firepit.

his opinion in the Israel / Hamas conflict was different than those of the mods...
And yes, the ban was permanent... On the ban page for october 8th

So we aren't that different from the Purple site after all. 🤔 🤔 🤔

I'm not shocked. Not at all.

Mahavastu

So we aren't that different from the Purple site after all. 🤔 🤔 🤔

I'm not shocked. Not at all.
Tbh, I am here only reading the gaming stuff and ignore the other stuff, therefore I do not know the messages which got him banned. But what I know from him I really doubt he flooded the forum with hate messages.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The bolded is hard for me to agree with. I refuse to think Phil is just this dumb and that much of an idiot. To me and many others, Phil always knew the current realities were possible but decided to lie to Xbox gamers in the hopes that GamePass would save them.

But if every other big Publisher exec knew GP was value destructive, why wouldn't Phil? He has the numbers! NO! He's a liar and just probably expected Daddy MS to keep pumping money into his firepit.
That's fair.

I think some people giving him credit for building such an intricate web of lies and manipulation that is part of some grand design to destroy video games as a whole or any one specific competitor is tin foil hat conspiracy that can more easily be explained as him just being wrong a lot instead of him being some kind of evil genius liar mastermind. The memes are funny, though.

I have no doubt that Phil actually thought Game Pass was the right path and that a subscription service was the way to go. From a Microsoft perspective selling software as a service has been highly profitable since corporations don't mind paying monthly to use office, etc. When reality hit that gamers weren't ready to wholesale adopt that model it didn't mean he lied. He probably believed it, he was just wrong. He actually needs to shut up and stop talking because he's been wrong more than he's been right.

Top Bottom