• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revisting John Carmacks tweet six years later

bottom line: it's all about the bottom line

and the bottom line is making money on consoles squeezing every juice its got, not wasting time optimizing for pc when a few fanatics can just buy the best hardware their bottom line affords them

Mass Shift

Carmack knows his stuff. He was also right about when ray tracing would finally become feasible for the consoles and the methods of rendering for it as well.

I need tissue samples of his brain so I can clone it for later.

Skifi28

At the start of this gen, a 750ti could generally keep pace with a ps4 trading blows. I'd like to see some tests on more recent games, it probably wouldn't fare so well now. I used to have a 760 and it would be so much better than the equivalent ps4 version .....until it wasn't and I had to upgrade while PS4s keep soldiering on. It's really amazing what devs can do with such ancient hardware.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I want to build a cheap, tiny, PC that can play fallout 4, and Skyrim at 1080p60. Not at max obviously.

Was thinking of a 4400g when they come out. Thoughts on a build?

llien

Carmack's comment was in the last days of the 7th gen and right ahead of when the low overhead movement made it to PC.

That's not how I read it. OS overhead on PC was NEVER EVER that high to justify "doubling performance". It was always mostly about having "tailor made" games, and as far as the latter go, nothing has changed this gen.

An interesting twist to it is that both consoles have 2080-ish GPU (XSeX more of a super), which means more raw power than whopping 95% of the PC market and seems to rub many here in the wrong way.

vkbest

Nah. It totally can.

We have seen that a similar PC to a PS4 can produce the same or better performance compared to a PS4.

There's always that argument that says "but those are multiplats, I'm talking about exclusives" .... but then former PS4 exclusives end up on PC and it turns out there was nothing magical about them. They perform on the PC as expected.

Detroit Become Human doesn't require a PC more powerful than a PS4 to run at 1080p30. The same will be true for Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding.

The entire console secret sauce and "coding to the metal" advantage ( in the rare circumstanteces it existed ) evaporated with low level API's on PC like DX 12 and Vulkan.

horizon minimum requirements (1080p/30fps) is a 780 ( 4 tflops machine vs 1.84)

you can prove, only show us current games running on a 7850 (PS4 GPU) and netbook cpu

Last edited:
No.

This tweet was written before low level APIs like DX12, Vulkan, Metal, and originally Mantle were introduced to PC, with literal order of magnitude increases in draw call performance.

PCs are still chipping away at other things like hardware GPU scheduling and DirectStorage/GPUdirect (which are more related to next gen SSDs than Carmack's old tweet), but the above was a large bulk of this. Is there still more overhead on a full windowed OS, yeah, but is any console magically outputting twice what we would expect from the hardware, no.

Impressive first party games are the result of a lot of time (=$$$) and polish, if you gave Naughty Dog the same with an equivalent PC who knows what we'd see.

Back in 2013 himself along with Tim Sweeney, & Johan Andersson were talking about Mantel like a year before it got added into BF4?

I thought Mantel was a flavor of mantel?

LordOfChaos

Back in 2013 himself along with Tim Sweeney, & Johan Andersson were talking about Mantel like a year before it got added into BF4?

I thought Mantel was a flavor of mantel?

Mantle started it off and got absorbed into the Vulkan project, yeah. In 2013 it wasn't prevalent at all though, being optimized for AMD hardware and few games bothered then.

Top Bottom