• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGNoire

30fps?? With this setup you're not doing 30fps. I assume you're playing in 4K? 60fps minimum in every game, except perhaps new demanding titles like Alan Wake 2,which requires som DLSS 3 magic to give the stable 60fps with everything enabled and maxed out with this setup.
I meant im ok with 30fps if thats the requirement to push native. Not a fan of reconstruction artifacts.

Hohenheim

That useless cpu upgrade 😂 it’s like when I “upgraded” my 7950x to a 7950x3D
The upgrade was from one pc to another,so naturally it had a newer cpu. Also had newer ram (ddr5) instead of ddr4 and a more capable psu.
But yeah, I know the difference between 12900 and 13900 is not very big:)

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Alright, ive finally unboxed my steam controller today and its way too confusing and difficult to use.

This might sound a little trivial, but i really need some help with picking a controller for windows 10.
I was checking out the "xbox series controller" because it apparently has the best compatibility, but it looks like it uses batteries or something, or maybe it doesnt, i wasnt able to find a concrete answer and this is uncharted territory for me.

My only requirement is a controller which can be exclusively powered and charged through usb-c or regular micro/usb, do they exist or do they all need some stations/batteries?

These are the prices:
nintendo switch pro controller (1500)
dual sense (1200)
dual shock (1430)
xbox series controller (1400)

Also, any recommendations for ~150eur ATX cases? Aiming for airflow and low noise with good cable management.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

Do it.. join the cool kids :messenger_winking:
I've been doing my best to hold off on "upgrading" my 7700x to a 7800x3d. I play in 4k and I literally have no reason to upgrade, but the itch is still there!
Just upgrade to a 7800X3D. The AM5 platform will be around for quite some time and they've announced future processors will be on AM5 for a while. Might as well just get it and future proof your rig and when a new one comes out, get it, provided you should have gotten a AM5 motherboard at the time anyway.

Last edited:

Bojji

Alright, ive finally unboxed my steam controller today and its way too confusing and difficult to use.

This might sound a little trivial, but i really need some help with picking a controller for windows 10.
I was checking out the "xbox series controller" because it apparently has the best compatibility, but it looks like it uses batteries or something, or maybe it doesnt, i wasnt able to find a concrete answer and this is uncharted territory for me.

My only requirement is a controller which can be exclusively powered and charged through usb-c or regular micro/usb, do they exist or do they all need some stations/batteries?

These are the prices:
dual sense (1200)
dual shock (1430)

Also, any recommendations for ~150eur ATX cases? Aiming for airflow and low noise with good cable management.

Xbox series x controller is the best for pc. It can be used both wirelessy (the best with MS dongle, it acts like on Xbox basically) or trough USB c without any batteries.

On windows 11 you can even use screenshot button.

Yerd

These are the prices:
dual sense (1200)
dual shock (1430)

So I have 2 elite v2 xbox controllers that both have bumper buttons that don't register completely. I tried to do a fix on one myself and somehow made it fix one side and the other side got worse. In the interim to me opening it up again, I started using one of my dual sense controllers.

I like the dualsense quite a bit as the new controller. As long as you can do the button conversions in your head. Most games are designed with xbox controller interface. X is square, not X, and A is X.

Oh, and I use the cable from my elite controller to power it.

Last edited:
Xbox series x controller is the best for pc. It can be used both wirelessy (the best with MS dongle, it acts like on Xbox basically) or trough USB c without any batteries.

On windows 11 you can even use screenshot button.
can still use x360 controllers too, which is my preference.
any x360 controller will connect/sync to the wireless pc adapter.

rechargeable battery packs are available, but i prefer rechargeable AA.

Cynical_Aries

Gold Member
I'm looking to get at Gaming PC. I've always been on Console with exception of the games my laptop can run. Any recommendations for a pre-built on Cyber Monday? I'd like to stay around $2K. Lenovo, Amazon, Meta pcs?

I'm looking to get at Gaming PC. I've always been on Console with exception of the games my laptop can run. Any recommendations for a pre-built on Cyber Monday? I'd like to stay around $2K. Lenovo, Amazon, Meta pcs?
Don't go pre build I went from a pc noob to building my own pc in two weeks after searching what's what on the internet. You'll get more from your 2k with your own build.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Don't go pre build I went from a pc noob to building my own pc in two weeks after searching what's what on the internet. You'll get more from your 2k with your own build.
Most people understand that you will usually save money building it yourself, but there are some decent pre-built deals to be had out there.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I was looking at TVs all weekend instead of looking at components for a new build, which would have been a far better use of my time.

For UK GAFers, how much lower have the popular AMD CPUs been than normal this weekend? 58000X3D and the other one that went down to about £30 more, possibly the 7800X3D.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I was looking at TVs all weekend instead of looking at components for a new build, which would have been a far better use of my time.

For UK GAFers, how much lower have the popular AMD CPUs been than normal this weekend? 58000X3D and the other one that went down to about £30 more, possibly the 7800X3D.
This is a lazy question. Nobody is going to go and do a price history search for a CPU when you can do it for yourself. I will say that there are some good deals for 5800X3D and 7800X3Ds to be had right now. if you want any of those, now is as good a time as any.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
This is a lazy question. Nobody is going to go and do a price history search for a GPU when you can do it for yourself. I will say that there are some good deals for 5800X3D and 7800X3Ds to be had right now. if you want any of those, now is as good a time as any.
If no one knows roughly how much they are when not on sale then no one knows, tough luck me. The only price tracker I know of is Amazon's, and I don't know how reliable that would be compared to an average. I wouldn't want anyone to research for me.

If you want me to rephase it:

Were component sales noticeably better or worse than any other sale this weekend?

Cynical_Aries

Gold Member
7800X3D 4070ti prebuilt for $2k pretty damn good deal imo at Best Buy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/skytec...-ti-1tb-nvme-ssd-blue/6562543.p?skuId=6562543
Thanks to everyone for the help. This looks like one that I definitely will look at for sure. I know that I'd save money by building. But, I feel better getting a pre-built one to get started, then upgrade in the future. I'm certain that I'll learn a lot over the next year, or so. So, I'll definitely upgrade, and potentially build in the future. I can't wait to play all those Steam games that I've been buying forever.

Cynical_Aries

Gold Member
Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I know this one is more, but how do you compare this one at Meta Pcs with the Best Buy deal. Just looking at the Windows and Wifi included. Sorry, I'm a noob at all this PC parts stuff. I'm too damn old to be messing with this mess, but I've always wanted a gaming pc.
I don't know anything about that PC site but a quick look shows a lesser of a video card for $500 more and that Best Buy pc will for sure come with Windows and looks to have built in WiFi as well

Plus IF you live close to a Best Buy its so simple to walk in and get help if its broke in any way, to me thats huge

And don't apologize for asking questions though likely here you may get 100 different answers :)

Last edited:

Cynical_Aries

Gold Member
I don't know anything about that PC site but a quick look shows a lesser of a video card for $500 more and that Best Buy pc will for sure come with Windows and looks to have built in WiFi as well

Plus IF you live close to a Best Buy its so simple to walk in and get help if its broke in any way, to me thats huge

And don't apologize for asking questions though likely here you may get 100 different answers :)
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Im really curious to see how the nvidia supers and intel battlemage shake up the current financial value stagnation that's going on in the gpu market. I have no hope that AMD will be able to do anything worthwhile, they are the dumbest company of all time.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sure thing a lot of people here very helpful and if JohnnyFootball JohnnyFootball gave his stamp of approval on a PC that's saying something ;)

And thank you
This day and age I feel like PC building has become more and more frustrating due to things like platform instability and sill incompatibilities. Pre-builds can be had for good prices. When it comes to building PCs we all need to start somewhere. I love my 7800X3D/4090 I built but there are so many little things I have to tweak ti get best performance (EXPO, undervolting) that I feel it will need another year for AM5 to stabilize.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This day and age I feel like PC building has become more and more frustrating due to things like platform instability and sill incompatibilities. Pre-builds can be had for good prices. When it comes to building PCs we all need to start somewhere. I love my 7800X3D/4090 I built but there are so many little things I have to tweak ti get best performance (EXPO, undervolting) that I feel it will need another year for AM5 to stabilize.
I have been there done that type of thing of building my own PCs and even a few for family and friends but I am over it at this point as I will pay the few hundred dollars to get one complete

Plus had one PC not boot after building and came down to a faulty mobo that obviously I had to diagnose and anymore its just so much easier to walk into a store and let them order me a new one

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Im really curious to see how the nvidia supers and intel battlemage shake up the current financial value stagnation that's going on in the gpu market. I have no hope that AMD will be able to do anything worthwhile, they are the dumbest company of all time.
The same AMD that has wrestled the CPU crown from Intel? That AMD?!

Their GPU division is unexciting but still good. 7900XTX is a great gaming GPU. It still needs to get an MSRP of about $850 to be a no brainer, while 7900XT needs to be about $700

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have been there done that type of thing of building my own PCs and even a few for family and friends but I am over it at this point as I will pay the few hundred dollars to get one complete

Plus had one PC not boot after building and came down to a faulty mobo that obviously I had to diagnose and anymore its just so much easier to walk into a store and let them order me a new one
Putting the parts into the case is pretty easy and there are a ton of good tutorials on that. The CPU cooler can be the only hassle, but the stuff after the build has gotten tiring to deal with.
I still love building PCs and will do it until the day I die, but I also live reasonably close to a Microcenter where issues can easily get fixed.

It can be an absurd hassle dealing with online returns/RMA for those buying online.

Last edited:

Yerd

I wouldn't mind building for other people, but I don't know people that want gaming pcs.

I can only build myself so many. Mine is getting ready to be replaceable, for my likes. Waiting on the next gpu cycle. I got myself into custom loops, and I'm not sure if I want to continue doing it or not. I set up an external radiator that will just need to be plugged into a new water cooled pc, so easy peasy. Do I want to waste the money on the extra parts and work?

I meant im ok with 30fps if thats the requirement to push native. Not a fan of reconstruction artifacts.
Depends on the game, some games DLSS actually looks better than native. And of course DLAA is often far superior to native.
Whats the safest and best way to aquire Windows 10 now that MS has discontinued it?
I use whokeys with affiliate code from youtubers
7800X3D 4070ti prebuilt for $2k pretty damn good deal imo at Best Buy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/skytec...-ti-1tb-nvme-ssd-blue/6562543.p?skuId=6562543
newegg has a similar build for 1799$
And I think they don't have tax setup in all states so some have no tax collected.

edit:
if you're going for 2000 for around 2300~ you can do custom build with the current CM deals with a 4080 instead.

edit 2:

if you sacrifice cpu and ram a bit there's a 4080 for under 2000

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

5800x3D lowest i saw was £269 on ebay with a code.

7800x3D was at £329 from scan or overlockers.

Soodanim

Gold Member
5800x3D lowest i saw was £269 on ebay with a code.

7800x3D was at £329 from scan or overlockers.
Cheers.

That's a much bigger difference than I've seen this weekend (my only frame of reference), I started to wonder why people bothered with the 7 over the 5 but this makes more sense.

Rossco EZ

Cheers.

That's a much bigger difference than I've seen this weekend (my only frame of reference), I started to wonder why people bothered with the 7 over the 5 but this makes more sense.
actually found out that topcashback were doing 20% on ebay purchases so the 5800x3D deal on ebay actually worked out to like £212. not bad really if i’ve or seen that the other day i think ive of snapped that up.

DanEON

These are the prices:
dual sense (1200)
dual shock (1430)

do you use gyro? If yes, go for the dualsense. If not, go for the xbox controller, it has better compatibility, but does not have gyro.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Ugh, the worst thing ever is having parts start trickling in for a new build, with others still a week or more out, and only being able to sit there and stare impotently at the boxes....

It's been 9 years since I built my current one, and I must say motherboards and their packaging has vastly improved! The box for my X670E ASRock Taichi is massively impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom