• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rez Infinite |OT| Fear is the Mind Killer-App

KiraXD

yo, if I pre-order a physical copy from iam8bit do they charge for it straight away or only when it ships?

straight away... i got effed with that lol.

Also for anyone is looking for a challenge...
Try beating my Rez HD Direct Assault score: 1,186,630 (im 233rd overall rank for Direct Assault in Rez HD)

CLEEK

Love the OT, just have a few suggestions about the FAQ section: "F.A.Q" looks odd without a period after the Q, and also, under "But Rez already got an HD port, didn't it? What does this add?" you could mention that Rez HD was actually limited to 720p. It's something I wasn't aware of up until recently.

Rez HD soundtrack was remixed for 5.1, but also made slight changes to parts of certain tracks. Nothing drastic, but I always preferred the original soundtrack, which Infinite seems to use.

The 3D audio with PSVR is as big of a deal as the actual VR stuff. It's incredible in Rez. So much better than having the audio come from my 5.1 system. A decent pair of ear buds are very important to the PSVR experience.

Are those extra stages and bonus stuff part of the original Rez release, or new?

Area X is an entirely new area, unique to the PS4 game, and it looks amazing. The various Beyond modes have been part of Rez since the original.

Ok, so I managed to get the standard boss. All I did was I only fought one of the walkers, usually I fight both, and I let myself get hit a few times so I wouldn't go into the battle in the final form. For those of you trying to get the alternate boss, try entering the fight in final form (this is easy if you kill all the cubes before the boss) and also try fighting both of the walkers. Should work. Also, the alternate boss music is way cooler, but I think that the music integrates better with the standard boss. Both are amazing, though.

I adore REZ. Played it so much on Dreamcast, PS2, 360 over the years.
Today i played it in VR and completely blown away by it all over again. Stunning.
It's REZ - perfected.

KiraXD

wait wait... so Infinite is missing:

Leaderboards
Replay Theater
Visual Effects

??

what the fuck? all of those things in HD were awesome. Leaderboards especially... and Replay theater let you watch the top player on the leaderboards runs so you could see how to get better chains and combos... this is really disappointing if those things were left out... what the fuck were they thinking?

Just played through Area X in PS VR and was just completely blown away. Please let there be a Rez 2 in the works that is more of that, because holy shit.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Rez HD soundtrack was remixed for 5.1, but also made slight changes to parts of certain tracks. Nothing drastic, but I always preferred the original soundtrack, which Infinite seems to use.
That is great to hear. There's a deep line of bass in Area 5 that was completely absent in Rez HD during the last three segments of the stage that was definitely present on the original PS2 and Dreamcast versions.

Alcahest

Where are the settings for area x?

I would like to shoot with Square, not Cross.

While the main game has all the necessary options, area x has none..?

LiK

Area X is awesome. Shame it's only one level.

I need a trophy guide. Dunno how to unlock the stuff in the trophy list.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Area5.
Its good! Everything looks amazing. I can't help but notice almost everything about it feels subtly different. Maybe the FOV is ever so slightly wider? I can't quite put my finger on it but it definitely feels just a teeny bit different to me. In a neutral way, I'll be curious to see if anyone compiles a list of all the changes. That'd be really neat to see. Things look a little deeper and bigger/taller. It also seems like there are more support items than past iterations.

The visuals are great, I kept exclaiming DUUUUDE to my girlfriend while I was playing.
Good verson! Happy to have it easily accessible now.

I'd love to see the VR version, might have to go down to the BestBuy and see if the cool demodude I've talked to a bunch has it in a few weeks. However I'm much much more curious about the 3D audio mix in the VR version... Almost a shame you can't hook that up for the 2D version.

Anyhow, good remaster all around. No complaints.

Now onto Area X.....

Area X is such a total proof of concept for Rez 2. It feels like a complete generational jump in structure and visuals while maintaining the feel of Rez. I so hope to all that is good in the world that Rez 2 is coming in the future. The taste of what could be after Area X has me frothing at the mouth!

Area X is such a total proof of concept for Rez 2. It feels like a complete generational jump in structure a visuals while maintaining the feel of Rez. I so hope to all that is good in the world that Rez 2 is coming in the future. The taste of what could be after Area X has me frothing at the mouth!

Jeff Gerstmann at Giant Bomb Dot Com on a podcast the other week was saying that when they've seen it at trade shows and stuff, there is a strong hinting at a possible REZ 2.

Again, it could be speculation on his part, but I like to think that if Infinite does well enough that Sony or somebody has promised/will help fund REZ 2.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I played it for only 20 minutes, but it was pretty complicated. I think I grasp what I'm supposed to do but it definitely was quite disorienting feels completely different. The visual/audio composition was really really cool and brought to mind all the best parts of CoE.. but with such limited impressions I can't really say anything other than its definitely new.

Pretty insane it exists. Pretty cool.

I was playin the boss with the tenticals and was like OH YEAH I CAN FLOAT OVER THERE

Also whats up with the pink ones, theres no alt fire I could see

I'm not even playing it on VR and finally got around to Area X... Dayum.

I think I've played and beatenevery version of Rez and even child of Eden and X just... Yeah it makes me happy with what there is but I almost want more.

Also want to add that Rez was the one game I played that literally made me decide to be a digital artist... Years later I have a master's in Fine Arts and teach the stuff at colleges. Rez sometimes finds its way into the semester somehow :)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Rez infinite VR is amazing once you get moving. And the runner boss? Damn exhilarating.

Man, I was getting skittish with my face close to the screen when its winding up to swing at you. I bet inside its so much crazier!

Teknoman

Man, I was getting skittish with my face close to the screen when its winding up to swing at you. I bet inside its so much crazier!

It's strange being able to look back at em too, or literally having to look up to shoot the panels on the ceiling of the tunnel. Doesn't hurt that it's one of the action packed boss themes.

How good would a VR Panzer Dragoon game be in the vein of Orta? Whoo.

I was about to order it from iam8bit but they want $15 for shipping to Alaska... Shipping from and to Alaska via USPS is identical to the prices within the lower 48 :/ Bummer.

KiraXD

I was about to order it from iam8bit but they want $15 for shipping to Alaska... Shipping from and to Alaska via USPS is identical to the prices within the lower 48 :/ Bummer.

im just bummed i wont get it until next month... but... fuck it... totally worth it to have that physical copy displayed next to my PS2 copy!

Just played though all but Area 5 (died during the boss and I should probably go to bed anyway) with 4 controllers in Trance Vibrator mode, headphones, and in a perfectly dark room.

Holy shit. I'm still recovering. The human body is not made for so much stimuli. It's enveloping. Pretty much every sense but taste and smell are being used at full force.

How are you or others setting the 4 controllers when playing?

Ogni-XR21

Just wanted to give area 1 a try with my headset yesterday (was my first time ever using VR) and ended up beating the whole game, in one sitting. What a ride, absolutely AMAZING!!!

When reading about it beforehand I always thought that aiming where you look was stupid and I would play this with regular controls. How wrong I was, aiming with the headset is definitely the way to go. Makes the game much easier though.

Absolutely amazing game and I really hope there will be more, or maybe a Child of Eden remaster for VR.

cilonen

I have them, and I'm in the UK.

Dynamic. It's wild.

I got my ass kicked by the third boss last night. Tips?

As you're moving anti-clockwise around the cylinder at the start look at the right edge of it (the one that is rotating towards you) and scan up and down repeatedly so you can take out the lasers right as they rotate into view before they get too much of a problem.

Save your overdrive for when you get swarmed by missiless in the second phase. Take out the rows of silver and red boxes in that phase ASAP as they emit the missiles.

Chopper

As you're moving anti-clockwise around the cylinder at the start look at the right edge of it (the one that is rotating towards you) and scan up and down repeatedly so you can take out the lasers right as they rotate into view before they get too much of a problem.

Save your overdrive for when you get swarmed by missiless in the second phase. Take out the rows of silver and red boxes in that phase ASAP as they emit the missiles.
Cheers for the tips. I assumed override was key when I got swarmed, but I'd already used it earlier in the level on those brutal flying centipede things. I'll give it another crack later.

cilonen

Cheers for the tips. I assumed override was key when I got swarmed, but I'd already used it earlier in the level on those brutal flying centipede things. I'll give it another crack later.

No worries :)

With the centipedes, go for the head and keep hammering it and you can take out the whole thing before it gets too messy.

In general for the bigger enemies there's almost always one point you can target that will take out the whole thing - it's the big circular pod on those blocky silver 'space battleships' for example.

Good luck, and if it's any consolation I think that third boss is the trickiest in the whole game!

goldenpp72

Jeff Gerstmann at Giant Bomb Dot Com on a podcast the other week was saying that when they've seen it at trade shows and stuff, there is a strong hinting at a possible REZ 2.

Again, it could be speculation on his part, but I like to think that if Infinite does well enough that Sony or somebody has promised/will help fund REZ 2.

If they ever made a kickstarter for REZ 2, i'd be all in, and I put 300 bucks into Shenmue 3 so i'm not afraid to go deep :p

LiK

On my first playthrough I killed the red one and a second one spawned. Last night I killed the blue one and a second one spawned in the distance.

the one that walks on the wall right? so i guess i should kill the blue one for the alt boss then. was wondering how to get there.

Top Bottom