• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rez Infinite |OT| Fear is the Mind Killer-App

liquidtmd

Banned
Such a nice little offer you ran Kyonashi, kudos to you

I think after writing about Rez once again and seeing this thread I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy it regardless this weekend haha!

KiraXD

Where has this game been all my life? Played through the first two levels and I'm in love. I've heard people praise Rez for years and years but only just now played it myself.

so jealous! to be able to play it again for the first time is something i wish i could do... everyone whos just now playing this for the first time... SAVOR THIS MOMENT!

...and now im sad i finished all Area X trophies... T_T

Rez 2 needs to happen...

Fisty

Hmm so I left on Trance mission last night to run up the clock and get The Rezident.... woke up this morning, the pink alien thing is unlocked and usable, but I never got the trophy... What's the deal with that?

Alucrid

Banned
Hmm so I left on Trance mission last night to run up the clock and get The Rezident.... woke up this morning, the pink alien thing is unlocked and usable, but I never got the trophy... What's the deal with that?

try finishing an area and it should unlock

Sorral

Playing this in VR(first time playing it too).... Holy shit

Goosebumps throughout the whole game and then played Area X... I just didn't want it to end and I want more. 😭

KiraXD

Come on guys! post your High Scores (also... god DAMN we need online leaderboards for this game, like Rez HD... they dropped the ball on that one for sure) :(

My new Direct Assault score (almost beat my Rez HD score which placed me at 233rd on the worldwide leaderboard [1,186,630]... ALMOST!)
1ZauGe0.png

Boss Rush

Area 1

KiraXD

Yeah, wonder why they left out leaderboards.
Too expensive to implement and maintain?

which is weird considering Rez HD on 360 still has Active Online Leaderboards (And REPLAY theater... so you can watch others playthroughs)

Really bummed neither of those are here... makes no sense considering the biggest point of the game is those scores...

Orcastar

Playing this in VR(first time playing it too).... Holy shit

Goosebumps throughout the whole game and then played Area X... I just didn't want it to end and I want more. 😭

I just played this for the first time in VR last night too, and yeah, holy shit. And I didn't even get to Area X yet, only played the first two levels and died on the second boss. Kinda annoying that you have to replay the entire level when that happens, but otherwise I'm loving it.

gfxtwin

It's unfuckingbelievable that this was originally a dreamcast game. Holds up ridiculously well. Still as trippy as ever, especially the graphics, but also, just as important, the gameplay is fun and timeless. The first time I played it on PS2 I thought "I won't ever need to do psychedelics after playing this shit". It's like a hallucination or lucid dream. Can't even imagine how it will feel playing it in VR.

KiraXD

OH MAN! i fucking did it! i just beat my Rez HD Direct Assault score which took YEARS of playing Rez PS2 and Rez HD... Not only did i beat my all time high... but it was a junk run! (i screwed up the first two areas because i was just trying to get my Trance Hacker trophy, so i wasnt going for scores...) so im positive i can even beat this one!

By the final boss i was sitting at 1.17M points (my high score was 1.18M... and the last blow to the boss gave me the score boost i needed!

Anyone up to Challenge Me? come on!!

Shin-Ra

RezInfPlat.png

Platinum get! Can't wait to try the game on PS4 Pro next. Hopefully the UI assets were future-proofed.

Sorral

I just played this for the first time in VR last night too, and yeah, holy shit. And I didn't even get to Area X yet, only played the first two levels and died on the second boss. Kinda annoying that you have to replay the entire level when that happens, but otherwise I'm loving it.

You're in for a big treat. Level 4's boss fight in VR was amazing and then playing Area X... I would to have a full game based on Area X.

OmahaG8

Sorry it's later than I said guys, but I had something come up.

Been great reading all your stories (special shoutout to liquidtmd, loved your history with the game and what it makes you think of) but unfortunately there can only be one winner.

I put all your names in a randomiser (two entries per person whose post I particularly enjoyed) in the interest of fairness, and the winner is...

KiraXD!

I can tell you were excited from the posts so hope this makes your day. ;) Check your inbox for the code.

Sorry to everyone else, I wish I had more codes to give!! I can only hope you all find the money (or the patience for your iam8bit versions) and come back here to post impressions.
Thanks all.

Thanks for the chance, and congrats to you KiraXD!

I am going to hold strong and see about the physical release :D

LiK

VR is like cheating. Way easier to beat high scores with it since you can lock-on so much faster than with controller. Platinum here I come!

KiraXD

VR is like cheating. Way easier to beat high scores with it since you can lock-on so much faster than with controller. Platinum here I come!

Id be willing to bet it probably makes Mars WAYYYYY easier... those mines that pop out of the little tendrils are sometimes impossible to gauge how close they are to you (i often get hit if im trying to keep max chain up.)

Its seriously hard to judge the depth of these fuckers...

Also... Broke my DA High Score AGAIN! (i was still getting my Trance Hacker Trophy lol)

1upsuper

I played through levels 3 through 5 last night for the first time in my life and I feel like I had some sort of crazy out of body experience. Absolutely incredible game. Right now I feel like this is about as close to a perfect game as you can get. I don't think I'll ever be good enough to get any of the real endings for level 5 but I can see myself putting a lot of time into this game. I got to the very last part of 5 and then dropped down from the final form down to the second or third form, and I only got 85% shot-down. How on earth do you guys manage to get the
white or pink butterfly endings?!

I still have the area added to HD to play as well as Area X, not to mention all the bonus unlocks. I hear X was really made with VR in mind, but I don't have PSVR. Am I going to be losing a lot by just playing that area normally?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
i played through the entire game using dynamic mode and the video overlays that play during the final boss as eden gets pieced back together aren't being projected properly and appear garbled and corrupted. did anyone else have this problem and is it specific to dynamic mode?

edit: played through it again in standard and it displayed correctly. ill have to try dynamic again to confirm.

KiraXD

I don't think I liked Area X as much as I liked the core game. But this is so great.

it felt slightly different to me...but after playing it over and over it started feeling great (still different than vanilla Rez... but it became second nature) .. i loved the free-flying... it was just different enough to feel fresh, but not so crazy that it didnt feel like Rez.

I just wish it had a Score Attack mode...

...and 10 more areas afterwards.
seriously, i hope Area X was a demo of Rez 2... because, FUCK. I want Rez 2!

Also... Platinum! (I love the platinum icon!)
gvfyUs6.png

jon_dojah

Banned
Cant wait for my physical copy to come in. I hope it comes early Nov. And fighting the urge to double dip on digital version. I can at least play my Dreamcast copy until then but Thumper has also helped make the wait easier.

Orcastar

Just finished the game for the first time ever, by which I mean that I died at what I'm assuming is the last boss. Seriously, how are you supposed to shoot down all those missiles?

Also tried Area X and yeah, holy shit! Please make a full sequel like this, pretty please? Shame about the framerate dips though.

1upsuper

I played for a while last night and managed to get the
white butterflies
ending, which was cool. And consequently it unlocked boss rush mode. I also got a high score in each of the five areas so I got some more unlocks. This game is stupendous. I'm sad I won't get to play it for a week now.

Ogni-XR21

Just finished the game for the first time ever, by which I mean that I died at what I'm assuming is the last boss. Seriously, how are you supposed to shoot down all those missiles?

Also tried Area X and yeah, holy shit! Please make a full sequel like this, pretty please? Shame about the framerate dips though.

I always make sure to have at least 2 overdrive (better yet all 4) left when facing the final boss, just for those missiles.

She is quite easy if you know what to shoot at. Focus on the rotating ring targets around her. Whenever one of them is destroyed, immediately start firing at the tip of the upper center pillar as it appears. You can kill it and start the cutscene before it shoots any missiles. In the later stages you might have to occasionally shoot at the moving diamond enemies to keep them out of your face (you can also get upgrades and overdrives from them), but mostly just concentrate on the rings and then the middle. It's good to have a couple of overdrives in case you slip up in the last stage and the missiles get out.

KiraXD

She is quite easy if you know what to shoot at. Focus on the rotating ring targets around her. Whenever one of them is destroyed, immediately start firing at the tip of the upper center pillar as it appears. You can kill it and start the cutscene before it shoots any missiles. In the later stages you might have to occasionally shoot at the moving diamond enemies to keep them out of your face (you can also get upgrades and overdrives from them), but mostly just concentrate on the rings and then the middle. It's good to have a couple of overdrives in case you slip up in the last stage and the missiles get out.

Yeah... after years of playing... the final boss is hands down the easiest (and best way to get massive points by focusing on the little "ships" that break off the center spinning rings)

Those missles only get launched twice per evolution... you can use that time to gain more points by shooting all the missles, and the broken off ships... after the second barrage, you have like 30 seconds until it automatically triggers the next evolution cutscene. Ill post a video showing some good tips for the entire Area 5. Its actually my best Score Run to Date!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTb3nAWIIKQ

KiraXD

What do the green (support?) items do in score attack/direct assault?

Theyre bonus score... I forget how much they add exactly but it adds to your total score, plus you can use them to chain with enemies.

(Area 3 boss with the cubes rolling at you at the start of the boss, you can get 3 or 4 of them by destroying all the cubes coming at you)

The PSVR dust has settled...Rez is my killer app. So replayable.

If anyone wants to approximate the trance suit effect and money is not a major issue, I highly recommend picking up a SubPac.

I have the old seat back cushion type and it works fantastically. Just plug the audio output from the PSVR headset into the SubPac and run the headphones from the SubPac. The positional audio stays intact. The SubPac turns bass frequencies into vibration and it has enough power to really kick (intensity is adjustable on the fly).

Stunning experience all round.
YES YES YES

SubPac+VR+Rez/Thumper/FPS/driving is amazing

kyser73

I played Rez accompanied by molly and my PSVR headset.

I have no words to describe the level of euphoria I reached.

Shin-Ra

The screenshots released don't show it, but apparently the original areas and Area X will be native 2160p on PS4 Pro.

How Rez Infinite Shines Brighter Than Ever on PS4 Pro
The benefits you’ll see in Rez Infinite on your PS4 Pro depend on your home setup, but, for example, those of you lucky enough to own a 4K-capable display can enjoy both classic Rez and Area X in stunning 3840 x 2160 resolution; that’s right – the entire game runs in native 4K!

30688977571_51dc10792b_o.png

From classic Rez’s simple shapes and stark lines to all the thousands of tiny particles that make up everything in Area X, this increased resolution brings a sharpness and crisp clarity that really adds to the experience. (In fact, the first time we saw Rez Infinite running on a PS4 Pro at 4K here at Enhance Games, a big group of us spontaneously gathered around to gape at it, even though we’d all been seeing those same levels running on a normal PS4 everyday for months!)

Similarly, those of you who have PS VR hooked up to your PS4 Pro might notice Area X looking a little different than you’re used to—that’s because the image being passed along to each of your eyes is being rendered at a higher resolution (1920 x 1080, instead of 1440 x 810 on a standard PS4), before being passed to the PS VR headset. Even though the final resolution it’s displayed at on the headset in the same either way, the extra rendering from the PS4 Pro makes a difference: each particle looks a little more clear, a little more solid, adding up to objects and enemies that look more distinct and “real,” whether close-up or at a distance.

Ogni-XR21

That's great news!

I remember when they announced it being 4k for the 'old' game but not native 4k for Area X. Kudos to them for making it happen for the full game. Also one of the few times a developer was upfront about probably not being able to deliver something and still achive their goal by the end. I'm very impressed!!

Fisty

So weird question I guess, is there a "right" way to play the game which makes the songs play like they are supposed to? I think the closest I got to a cohesive song with the backbeat and sound effect hits was just using infinite overdrive and timing the circle press with the beat at 4/4 I think, basically a small pause after the full overdrive animation. This keeps the overdrive sound on beat and also makes the kills happen at really rhythmic intervals.

Basically is there a more challenging way to accomplish this same "correct" sound while say, building chains?

Shin-Ra

I think the game already supported PS4 Pro with or before the first patch because it hasn't been updated since but it's good to go in 4K!

30603208150_76ce070558_o.png

30816276851_0c06dfdb54_o.png

30904282375_0cb8125a56_o.png

30904393265_889e550e7f_o.png

30788202362_3d88ebbb0a_o.png

Rasterised UI elements like the aiming reticule, HUD and parts of the menus are upscaled.

Thanks for the new wallpaper!

Guess what, another delay! Now they're saying December.

What a joke. How could they originally think it was coming out in October and then have it be delayed this long? Luckily, Rez is one of only a handful of games in which I'd let a half-rate company have me by the balls like this, so I won't be buying anything else from them in the future (hopefully).

ghibli99

Screenshots like those really need to make some appearances in the other Pro/4K threads. SO SHARP! :D Thanks for posting! Looking forward to finally trying it tomorrow.

Top Bottom