• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise Of The Ronin Reportedly Suffers From An Unstable Frame Rate In Performance Mode

GHG

It's not looking good for this one in any sense.

Huge shame, looked really promising in the initial trailer but it looks like they've really fucked it.

Bry0

Not had any major issues frame-rate wise with any of Team Ninja's games really, even Final Fantasy Origins which ran like ass during its demo and preview stages was fine and played great in the final version.

Honestly, graphics whores are just going to do what they do. If they want games that look great but play average well, and are happy with that. Fine. Personally I'll take games that play great and look average any day of the week, because truth is, the novelty wears off pretty quick usually.
Yeah I think if you are a fan of TN games then this has kinda been par for course at the technical level, but the games are a ton of fun so whatever. More technical polish would be nice but it’s not a dealbreaker to me. The pc port of wo long didn’t stop me from devouring that game like a fiend.

Last edited:

octos

Neo Member
Still getting the game day 1. It's all about the gameplay, and if the combat system is anything like Nioh 2, then it's good enough for me!
I think that eventually there will be some patches, and if not, then there will be a PS5 pro and PS6 to solve the framerate issues.

StereoVsn

Games coming out with bugs and bad perfomance in 2024 ??? Noooo really?

Stop pre-ordering people! For fuck sake

Ill buy 6-12 months down the line more stable and cheaper... and play on the pro 😅
Yep, there is just no point to pick up games at release anymore with a few exceptions (small print run).

You get a much better performing game, potential improvements in patches and DLC and all that for better price.

If publishers/developers aren’t willing to release games in good state, I am unwilling to pay them $80 at the release.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah I think if you are a fan of TN games then this has kinda been par for course at the technical level, but the games are a ton of fun so whatever. More technical polish would be nice but it’s not a dealbreaker to me. The pc port of wo long didn’t stop me from devouring that game like a fiend.

Yep. Their engine may lack the high-end bells and whistles but it gets the job done. People really sleep on how accomplished the real-time cutscenes are in games like Nioh 2, how detailed the character rendering is, and overall how attractive these games are visually.

I think people are often misguided in their criticisms, basing thing on technical checklists and not overall effect. And then they complain about every game using Unreal engine....

Wo Long felt like a step back polish-wise from Nioh 2, something that I put down to it being developed during the heights of the pandemic. Also, Yasuda's back directing Ronin, and him being the studio head I suspect I'd expect maximum effort.

Honestly, they've built up a lot of credit with me these last few years, so its the easiest of easy day#1's regardless.

Valedix

I choose to remember the good times.

cH2bw4F.jpg
images

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Don't.
You also have an Xbox if I'm remembering correctly, right ?
Both NG black and NG2 are miles better than the sigma collection via BC 😉

Amazing games that really stood the test of time, their replayability is really something else...

Cheers
I own them on Xbox already, yeah. Just figured going forward, it makes more sense to grow my PS catalog.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Its interesting this game looks and perform worse than Ghost of Tsushima

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Sometimes people would rather play the game themselves and decide if it's fun or not.
Yea that's fine and good. I didn't say don't play it...I said something is off about the game. It's really just that this doesn't seem like a culmination of what Team Ninja has learned from othergames when Nioh 1 and 2 and even the Ninja Gaidens look smoother than this game. Maybe I couldn't place my finger on exactly what it was and maybe it's a tech issue that can be resolved, but the trailers I've seen so far have not been a good showing for the game. Right now that's all we have to go off, but I guess we will see very soon.

Last edited:
If I had a nickel for every time the hive mind decrees "LOL GAME SUCKS" but then I try it myself and somehow manage to have a fine enough time with it.

Not gonna lie, I recently played 3 games considered shit by community back to back. Fallout 76, Redfall, Gotham Knights. Had a great time with all of them for variety of reasons. Finished them quickly cause was enjoying them.

In parallel was playing Witcher 3, highly acclaimed title, was complete slog to me. Finished it with great difficulty then deleted quickly.

This hive mind thingy and opinions on games when they could have changed due to updates is quiet counter productive.

Puscifer

Wait, free sync still operates at 48hz? No wonder Nvidia insists on testing freesync monitors considering it works even at 2hz

hemo memo

Gold Member
Sometimes people would rather play the game themselves and decide if it's fun or not.
And most of the time people would want to save on a full-priced game to spend it on something worthwhile, especially considering how wonderful and hassle-free the refund policy for home consoles is.

Aion002

Don't pre order games and pay in advance for something that isn't finished.
That's the golden rule.

I love KT games and they almost always have demos before launch, most of the times I end up enjoying their games a lot and almost always I pre order them (when they have demos).

This time they didn't make a demo, so I will wait.

There's absolutely 0 incentive for me to pre order a game that I simply don't know if I will enjoy it or not, even though I like KT and I am huge Nioh fan.

SoSola

Banned
Isn't that still 10 FPS more than Dragon's Dogma 2 on consoles? Who cares anyway? I don't have a PS5 so I'll be waiting for the actual final release on PC. Thank you PS5 fans for beta testing though.

Same thing for Dragon's Dogma 2 on consoles, 30 fps? Not my problem. PC version runs higher than that.

At this point, console fans seriously need to reconsider why they fanboy so hard. What are you fanboying for? 30 FPS, remasters and exclusives that come to PC?

Been saying this game was janky AF since the first trailer. People laugh...people cope...I'm not fuckin blind dude.

The people saying this game is janky think Stellar Blade looks good. Have you seen the 40 minute demo on YouTube of that? Asides from graphics and the main character having an ass, the game looks mediocre at best with some boring ass recycled repetive enemies and combat where enemies don't show any reactivity to your attacks. If not for all the culture war stuff and people wanting to own woke idiots, people wouldn't even be paying attention to Stellar Blade.

And unlike Rise, a PC release won't improve Stellar Blade because the issue with the later isn't performance, it's gameplay. Rise will undoubtedly run fine on PC just like the Nioh games did. Up to 120 FPS in fact.

Not gonna lie, I recently played 3 games considered shit by community back to back. Fallout 76, Redfall, Gotham Knights. Had a great time with all of them for variety of reasons. Finished them quickly cause was enjoying them.

In parallel was playing Witcher 3, highly acclaimed title, was complete slog to me. Finished it with great difficulty then deleted quickly.

This hive mind thingy and opinions on games when they could have changed due to updates is quiet counter productive.

If you had a great time with those three turds then you should definitely not listen to anyone and buy Rise of the Ronin.

But how is pointing out how bad this looks for a Sony backed PS5 exclusive, that can't even maintain 60 fps in its performance mode a "hive mind mentality"? No that's just calling this what it is and frankly, we need more of that and less of your attitude of "I don't want to hear criticism for something I like"

if you hadn't noticed there are plenty more people who DO want to be able to pay $70 and get something that performs and looks good. It's not a bad thing to have a modicum of standards after having paid $550 for a PS5, a grand or more for a TV, and $70 on a game while being in 2024 when games aren't even stuck in the crossgen period anymore..Dragons Dogma 2 and RotR on the same day has got people rightfully annoyed

Isn't that still 10 FPS more than Dragon's Dogma 2 on consoles? Who cares anyway? I don't have a PS5 so I'll be waiting for the actual final release on PC. Thank you PS5 fans for beta testing though.

Same thing for Dragon's Dogma 2 on consoles, 30 fps? Not my problem. PC version runs higher than that.

At this point, console fans seriously need to reconsider why they fanboy so hard. What are you fanboying for? 30 FPS, remasters and exclusives that come to PC?

The people saying this game is janky think Stellar Blade looks good. Have you seen the 40 minute demo on YouTube of that? Asides from graphics and the main character having an ass, the game looks mediocre at best with some boring ass recycled repetive enemies and combat where enemies don't show any reactivity to your attacks. If not for all the culture war stuff and people wanting to own woke idiots, people wouldn't even be paying attention to Stellar Blade.

And unlike Rise, a PC release won't improve Stellar Blade because the issue with the later isn't performance, it's gameplay. Rise will undoubtedly run fine on PC just like the Nioh games did. Up to 120 FPS in fact.

We get it you are a PC master race type and therefore somehow none of these complaints about performance on console are valid. And everyone who owns a console is somehow a fanboy even though the only thing being debated here is about performance of two upcoming games sucking ..which is ironic because you're the only person acting like a fanboy with your bragging and weird insults.

Grow up

Slimboy Fat

That comment about japanese devs is so true. Europe and US are leagues ahead of them on tech by now but our asian friends make the best gameplay hands down, which is what truly matters at the end of the day. The japs also have great artists and composers. Both of which are sometimes underrated components of a successful presentation. No amount of polygons will make a transgender character appealing after all.

An ideal development would see a cross-continental inspiration wherein western devs took a page from japanese gameplay or simply assisted their japanese colleagues in the technical department. Unfortunately we have sometimes seen examples of the opposite: such as Forspoken outsorcing writing and story to embarrassingly untalented woke ideologues and Ghostwire: Tokyo adopting creatively bankrupt Ubisoft open-world map-marker design.

King Dazzar

It's not just the frame rate which has always looked unstable in a lot of the gameplay I've seen. But the colour palette and lighting just looks flat and very bland. It looks like a PS3 remaster. I'd rather just replay GoT instead.

If you had a great time with those three turds then you should definitely not listen to anyone and buy Rise of the Ronin.

But how is pointing out how bad this looks for a Sony backed PS5 exclusive, that can't even maintain 60 fps in its performance mode a "hive mind mentality"? No that's just calling this what it is and frankly, we need more of that and less of your attitude of "I don't want to hear criticism for something I like"

if you hadn't noticed there are plenty more people who DO want to be able to pay $70 and get something that performs and looks good. It's not a bad thing to have a modicum of standards after having paid $550 for a PS5, a grand or more for a TV, and $70 on a game while being in 2024 when games aren't even stuck in the crossgen period anymore..Dragons Dogma 2 and RotR on the same day has got people rightfully annoyed
60 fps criticism is fine. Its objective it cant hold it.

But am reading a lot “this is a shit game cause … reasons”. That’s something am not a fan of.

Mostly am open minded for the game cause just the swordplay here could be enough to carry the game for me. But haven’t made my mind about it yet.

King Dazzar

60 fps criticism is fine. Its objective it cant hold it.

But am reading a lot “this is a shit game cause … reasons”. That’s something am not a fan of.

Mostly am open minded for the game cause just the swordplay here could be enough to carry the game for me. But haven’t made my mind about it yet.
The mix of sword play with gun powder is what kept me hopeful that this would turn out well. But it's always looked dated from the off to me. So to then find it cant perform well, whilst looking dated. For me isnt good enough for an exclusive. The technical issues would impact the gameplay and immersion for me too.

That said, I hope you enjoy it.

The mix of sword play with gun powder is what kept me hopeful that this would turn out well. But it's always looked dated from the off to me. So to then find it cant perform well, whilst looking dated. For me isnt good enough for an exclusive. The technical issues would impact the gameplay and immersion for me too.

That said, I hope you enjoy it.
Not on PS5 so could be a while before I get to play it. That said, I will keep an eye on it. These are some of my favourite devs.

Top Bottom