• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Ronin | Reveal Trailer | PS5 Exclusive

They really suck at making good looking games thats for sure, even if this wasnt a next-gen only it would still look like shit. "b...b....but gameplay....." stfu, From does better gameplay and has 10 times the art direction over this shit. They need to hire better artists.

NT80

Looked really impressive but it's so far off I don't know how much of that is really representative of the final product. Wo Long looks pretty underwhelming in comparison from what they've shown so far though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They really suck at making good looking games thats for sure, even if this wasnt a next-gen only it would still look like shit. "b...b....but gameplay....." stfu, From does better gameplay and has 10 times the art direction over this shit. They need to hire better artists.
What am I reading here!? It looks good to me with great looking character models and environments.

//DEVIL//

Early footage, anyway. It's a 2024 release, so such concerns are very, very premature, with all due respect.
Didn't pay attention to the release date. and was not a concern. more like what I saw. how much it will get better who knows?

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
You could argue From make better games overall but Team ninja combat and encounter design is unmatched

What am I reading here!? It looks good to me with great looking character models and environments.

80XjSVI.png

Sorry my bad, it looks as good as Assassins Creed 2, except it has better models.

Crayon

This looked solid. I'll be watching. I think team ninja is a lil overrated, but their games do always feel nice to play in terms of control. And that's like half the battle.

PJX

That looks bad. I think you need some glasses, that trailer wasn't impressive at all based on the graphics. At least they have time to improve it.

Last edited:
For a 2024 game that is obviously current-gen only it looks visually quite awful. High end PS3 looking game with a mix of early gen PS4.

I'll still play it though, Team Ninja usually makes solid games. Surprised they showed this game this far out though...I would of liked too see Pragmata instead and that's coming 2023. So I don't get why they showed a game that's even further out.

Last edited:

Haint

So I watched the stream 2 hours ago, even viewed the 4K trailer afterwords, and am legitimately only just now realizing that this and Wo Long are different games. Mind blown. Thought for sure this trailer was just showcasing a new area of Wo Long and they just changed the name like Project Eve. They really should have combined these budgets and resources to make 1 great game instead of 2 astonishingly similar ones that both look dated and low budget from a production standpoint.

Last edited:
Hyped because Team Ninja but holy fuck 2024 means it'll be 2025 by the earliest. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I am very positive about Team Ninja output and ability to meet deadlines. They seems to have multiple teams and proved they can release multiple games in a short period of time. Just remember they released DoA 6 in 2019 (plus Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 for Switch), Nioh 2 in 2020, Stranger of Paradise in 2022, they are in the final stages of development of Wo Long for a 2023 release. They proved to be a very efficient developer and I think the 2024 release date is at least reasonable. Ronin should be developed by the Nioh team since it will be published by SIE, just like Nioh and Nioh 2 outside of Japan. They have a strong relationship. It will be interesting to see if Team Ninja will also have the support of the Kou Shibusawa Studio (again, they teamed up for both Nioh and Nioh 2) to take advantage of their deep experience with historical settings.

Ozzie666

Almost thought it was the return of Tenchu, then Ninja Gaiden. But the game was one of the few bright spots of the show. Looked like it has some potential for sure.

So I watched the stream 2 hours ago, even viewed the 4K trailer afterwords, and am legitimately only just now realizing that this and Wo Long are different games. Mind blown. Thought for sure this trailer was just showcasing a new area of Wo Long and they just changed the name like Project Eve. They really should have combined these budgets and resources to make 1 great game instead of 2 astonishingly similar ones that both look dated and low budget from a production standpoint.
It's irrealistic, one has a chinese setting, the other a japanese one. If Wo Long is based on the Three Kingdoms there are more than 1500 years between that game setting and Rise of the Ronin setting. It's not their fault if people can't distinguish them just bc they are from the same developer. Can you distinguish two Assassin's Creed games, right?

Stuart360

So this is PS5 only, no PS4?. Man graphics really have reached a edge of a cliff havent they?. Honestly if this was a new PS4 game, would any of you really be like 'How is dis sorcery possible!!!'?.
I'd even say Ghosts of Tsushima looks better.

I mean the game does look quite interresting froma setting standpoint. I hope Ghosts hits PC before this though.

Thief1987

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/0...f-the-ronin-a-new-action-rpg-from-team-ninja/
Not that much of info, but some tidbits

- 7 years in development

- combat focused open-world action RPG(obvious from the trailer)

- "we really wanted to take things to the next level by attempting to thoroughly portray the most critical revolution in the history of Japan including the darkest and ugliest chapters that many will shy away from. "

- emphasize on multilayering story

- implying on some kind of choices ?
"The characters that you will meet all have their own brand of justice and motivations, and whether you decided to side with or against them… each decision you make will matter. "

- most ambitious TN game to date

Last edited:

YukiOnna

This game is probably the one Yasuda was talking about that would act as a successor to Nioh and that ambitious game directed by him mentionedlast year. They wanted to do open world with Nioh 2, but couldn't and Wo Long follows the same Nioh level design .Also, finally a game in the Bakumatsu Period, as much as I love the Sengoku Era, I can play out Rurouni Kenshin now.
Cool that you like the look of it but that still doesn't take away from the fact it's still a bad looking game.
Looks fantastic to me!

Top Bottom