• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Ronin | Reveal Trailer | PS5 Exclusive

Toots

Gold Member
80XjSVI.png

Sorry my bad, it looks as good as Assassins Creed 2, except it has better models.
I find it to look more like way of the samurai, the PS3 one.
It won't play the same unfortunately. I wish some studio could create something as exceptional as way of the samurai 1 and 2.

OZ9000

Banned
Were you expecting next gen graphic from nioh team? Their latest games can barely be considered AAA.

I think it looks perfectly fine, like a good mid tier ps4 game, probably in 4k60 on nextgen console or close to that.
It's slightly disappointing that there are hardly any titles taking advantage of the newer systems.

Gameplay looks like it was ripped straight out of the PS4. Everything looks so flat.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's slightly disappointing that there are hardly any titles taking advantage of the newer systems.

Gameplay looks like it was ripped straight out of the PS4. Everything looks so flat.
Gameplay looks fine to me, it is an action rpg similar to nioh\sekiro, i was not expecting gameplay paradigm shifting stuff from team ninja.

I know it is disappointing dude, crossgen stuff should never exist after 2-3 years of console life cycle but then again, i was never expecting mind blowing grqphic from team ninja even if this was ps5 only (i don't even know if it is an exclusive).

Last edited:
Looks a bit rough but Team Ninja were never graphics wizards. Also why is nobody talking about the American flag in 1863 Japan? Maybe in this alternate universe, Japan didn't open up to trade and thus got colonized by America?

OZ9000

Banned
Gameplay looks fine to me, it is an action rpg similar to nioh\sekiro, i was not expecting gameplay paradigm shifting stuff from team ninja.

I know it is disappointing dude, crossgen stuff should never exist after 2-3 years of console life cycle but then again, i was never expecting mind blowing grqphic from team ninja even if this was ps5 only (i don't even know if it is an exclusive).
Yes gameplay looks fine. I meant graphics being ripped out of the PS4.

The better the visuals, the more immersed I am, and the more I enjoy the game.

Team Ninja don't have to be graphical wizards if they use a good middleware engine.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yes gameplay looks fine. I meant graphics being ripped out of the PS4.

The better the visuals, the more immersed I am, and the more I enjoy the game.

Team Ninja don't have to be graphical wizards if they use a good middleware engine.
Even with a good engine the result is not assured, a lot of AA games use ue4 with mixed results and then you have days gone or gears 5 with the same engine...

BbMajor7th

Team ninja is great when it comes to gameplay but their tech sucks. Their games look like they are a gen behind everything else and yet they push the hardware hard

Strangers in paradise can literally look like a PS3 game at times and you can't get a 60fps lock on Ps5 or SX, not even at 1080p.

You have tu run the PS4 version which runs at 720p to get a near 60fps lock on Ps5 and even that's not perfect.

On PC they require a 1060 to run the game at 720p 30fps. The 1060 is dated sure but it still runs nice looking open world games like Horizon at 60fps/1080p with mid settings.
Stranger of Paradise is a bit of an outlier. Nioh 1 & 2, though they're not exactly cutting edge, did turn in the usual level of performance we expected last gen and I think Nioh was pretty much the first game to do the whole 'Fidelity/Performance' split. Their big issue is not the engine, so much as the technical direction; they don't got in for as many of the smart shortcuts that a lot of modern developers do. I'm not super keen on their art direction either, especially on environments. Excited for this none the less - I had a great time with Nioh.

Last edited:

Wohc

Banned
Looks more interesting than Ghost of Ubisoft, but it's not PS5 exclusive. Console exclusive usually means Pc day1.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Looks a bit rough but Team Ninja were never graphics wizards. Also why is nobody talking about the American flag in 1863 Japan? Maybe in this alternate universe, Japan didn't open up to trade and thus got colonized by America?

I'm not sure...maybe.

Japan was open for trade a decade prior, like 1854, so I knew why that flag was there. Certain harbors where only open for trade, as in you couldn't wonder the country freely and that flag was like some neutral thing.

Keep in mind, you could still be correct, like the story could be some historical fiction where they are fighting America or something lol

Last edited:
I don't know. It looks more like Ghost of tsushima than Nioh or Ninja gaiden to me.

I was very disappointed by Ghost of Tsushima which compared to Nioh I would define as an empty shell (combat) in an pointless open-world (reminding me AC and Horizon open-worlds).

Team Ninja had me hostage since Nioh and this won't be any different. This and Wo Long Fallen Dynasty are must have in my book.

Ubisoft really missed the opportunity years ago of giving the community a proper AC in Japan and now they have to compete with Ghost of Tsushima and Rise of the Ronin.

The only things that concerned me were the horse animations (which are pretty hard to pull off right) and the performance (team ninja isn't the best in that regard). I know the title is only scheduled for a 2024 release date but I will keep my expectations in check because we don't have a 100% confirmation if this will be an open-world game, and I fear if Team Ninja can pull it off something this ambitious and have a good performance.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Team Ninja are pretty crazy in terms of sheer output.

If this makes it out in time it'll be 4 games in 4 years, two of which (Nioh 2 and Stranger of Paradise) had year long DLC/Expansion seasons. Who else has maintained anything like this sort of schedule through the Pandemic?

This and Stellar Blade(and that Mecha game I forgot the name) were the salvation of the direct.

I'm so glad for these games! Thanks Team Ninja! I'm all for this!
Does two games were the salvation of SoP? You forgot a little game like GoWR. For me and many others this was one of the best SoP ever. I was going in with low expectations, but BOY😉 I was so wrong...

Last edited:
Well this was an awesome surprise!

Have they said if there will any fantasy or magic etc?

I personally got very tired of ghosts open world towards end. Especially regarding enemy variety. Would love to fight some mythical beasts!

Not just 2. I could not correctly identify trailers or images of at least the first 4 AC games. A probable super majority of their audience couldn't either. The macro similarities was the largest criticism of the series' early games.
Non being able to distinguish between Crusades, Renaissance, Colonial America and Golden Age of piracy settings is hardly a series' fault... I hope one can at least correcly identify Spiderman and Batman /jk

Call me intrigued. It looks like it might be up my alley, but at the same time, it's developed by Team Ninja and I have a hard time with most of their games. Otherwise, I find it interesting Team Ninja is developing this and Wo Long at the same time and that they seem to have two different design philosophies. Wo Long looks almost like "what if Nioh was closer to Ninja Gaiden?" and Rise of the Ronin looks almost like "what if Nioh was closer to Sekiro?"

Fbh

Stranger of Paradise is a bit of an outlier. Nioh 1 & 2, though they're not exactly cutting edge, did turn in the usual level of performance we expected last gen and I think Nioh was pretty much the first game to do the whole 'Fidelity/Performance' split. Their big issue is not the engine, so much as the technical direction; they don't got in for as many of the smart shortcuts that a lot of modern developers do. I'm not super keen on their art direction either, especially on environments. Excited for this none the less - I had a great time with Nioh.

Yeah Stranger of Paradise is definitely their worst offender.
Though I'd argue even Nioh 1&2 are surprisingly demanding given how they look almost cross gen (with ps3). They don't look particularly better than something like Dark Souls 2, Vanquish or Dragons Dogma and yet the hardware requirements are notoriously higher.

Either way, my point is that Team Ninja games usually look dated. People expecting this to look amazing and miles ahead of a Ps4 game just because they are developing it for Ps5 are setting themselves up for disappointment

Last edited:

John Wick

New to gaming I see. Imagine actually believing the game will look significantly better. Even Nioh 2 looks like a fucking turd. It's been always their style, which is generic shit. Great combat but their art team is poop.
Let's put it this way your hyperbolic shite of a statement holds no water. There is no PS3 game even in the Rise of the Ronin's league graphically even this early in on. I'd advise going Spec Savers.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Trailer looked sick, here's hoping to see more gameplay soon.

NT80

Team ninja is great when it comes to gameplay but their tech sucks. Their games look like they are a gen behind everything else and yet they push the hardware hard

Strangers in paradise can literally look like a PS3 game at times and you can't get a 60fps lock on Ps5 or SX, not even at 1080p.

You have tu run the PS4 version which runs at 720p to get a near 60fps lock on Ps5 and even that's not perfect.

On PC they require a 1060 to run the game at 720p 30fps. The 1060 is dated sure but it still runs nice looking open world games like Horizon at 60fps/1080p with mid settings.
Their games have not looked good since maybe the Ninja Gaiden Sigmas on PS3. I always thought Nioh 1 and 2 looked like PS3 games to me yet had to go to 720p to manage 60fps on PS4. Stranger in Paradise doesn't looks that much better than them and neither does their next game Wo Long. This Ronin game however looks miles better to me than any of those. Maybe I had low expectations but it really impressed me.

Kusarigama

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/0...f-the-ronin-a-new-action-rpg-from-team-ninja/
Not that much of info, but some tidbits

- 7 years in development

- combat focused open-world action RPG(obvious from the trailer)

- "we really wanted to take things to the next level by attempting to thoroughly portray the most critical revolution in the history of Japan including the darkest and ugliest chapters that many will shy away from. "

- emphasize on multilayering story

- implying on some kind of choices ?
"The characters that you will meet all have their own brand of justice and motivations, and whether you decided to side with or against them… each decision you make will matter. "

- most ambitious TN game to date
It was interesting they called this the most ambitious game yet from team Ninja.

I don't get it with so many people calling this looks dated or ugly. To me it looks very good and Team Ninja always have had pretty good looking games with very tight gameplay.

Also objectively team Ninja makes better games than from software interms of graphical fidelity and responsive and tight action gameplay. From software have better obscure narrative design and artstyle wise they both do pretty good. Elden Ring looked very dated with frame pacing issues but just got away in hype.

I am not a from software hater not denying their hardwork but it is just what it is. Team Ninja makes better action games than From software.

Last edited:

Thief1987

It was interesting they called this the most ambitious game yet from team Ninja.

I don't get it with so many people calling this looks dated or ugly. To me it looks very good and Team Ninja always have had pretty good looking games with very tight gameplay.

Also objectively team Ninja makes better games than from software interms of graphical fidelity and responsive and tight action gameplay. From software have better obscure narrative design and artstyle wise they both do pretty good. Elden Ring looked very dated with frame pacing issues but just got away in hype.

I am not a from software hater not denying their hardwork but it is just what it is. Team Ninja makes better action games than From software.
From is objectively better in exploration part and level design if compare to Nioh. But still it's an Action RPG and at least for me combat is 90% of these kind of games. And FS's combat... eh, it's not even in the same league with Team Ninja to put it lightly.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

As a playstation player I wish Wo Long was the console exclusive over this.

It looks good and I'll definitely get it but I prefer fantasy elements over realistic.

But then on top of it this 19th century period of Japan is not interesting at all to me.

bender

What time is it?
Yes it is.

No it isn't.

2023 Armageddon: Biblical scholar Ian Gurney wrote The Cassandra Prophecy: Armageddon Approaches in 1999. He claims that Judgement Day will come in “less than 25 years”. He comes to this conclusion through interpretations of the book of Revelation and of the Daniel story and some other Biblical prophesies.

Top Bottom