• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Ronin is the best selling Koei Tecmo title to date

tommib

Gold Member
They usually slowly reach 1 million plus on their main games. For example: they shipped/sold digitally 7 million units of the Nioh games by 2022, 3.5 million of Hyrule Agent of Calamity by 2021 and 3 million of One Piece Musou 4 by 2023.

However, Wo Long sold 1 million units (even though it also launched on gamepass) quite fast for a KT game:

I guess Rise of The Ronin is surpassing Wo Long and will probably reach or surpass both Nioh games combined according to their expectations.
Watch it because according to our expert Ronin bombed:

CFJSdIG.jpeg

Eager to pull the trigger, harder to put the gun back in the glove compartment.

CosmicComet

That's really surprising.

I gave the game up just because I found it so uninteresting.

Probably because of the late time period taking away any sense of mysticism.

YukiOnna

Great game, it's the first time team ninja attempted something like this (I think?) and probably a good learning experience for them considering they implied they're investing more into this. I'm still slowly going through it and enjoying my time, but the gameplay and worldview is right up my alley. Performance is definitely going to be an issue for people, but I don't get it on issues with the visuals. Engine is definitely showing it's age though

Anyways, I hope it does well for Koei.

Boss Mog

I didn't get it but I might when it's cheap, which is more than I can say about Assassin's Creed Shadows, which I wouldn't even add to my PS+ collection for free.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

CFJSdIG.jpeg

I'm not a sales expert at all. The post you're highlighting shows me saying I have no idea what Stella Blade is going to sell. I avoid most sales threads and don't follow it like some of the experts on here. I honestly did think RotR didn't sell that well. This is the first I've heard of it doing this well. Pretty easy for me to just read new info and update my opinion. Maybe we'll get actual numbers at their next investor report.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
If they drop that bad boy on Steam, they can make it sell even better. (I have all the other Team Ninja games there too.)

I'm not a sales expert at all. The post you're highlighting shows me saying I have no idea what Stella Blade is going to sell. I avoid most sales threads and don't follow it like some of the experts on here. I honestly did think RotR didn't sell that well. This is the first I've heard of it doing this well. Pretty easy for me to just read new info and update my opinion. Maybe we'll get actual numbers at their next investor report.

What's with that tag lol

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What's with that tag lol
I just searched,

He really wrote this.🤣

nial

Gold Member
What's with that tag lol
I just searched,

He really wrote this.🤣
Based mod being based.

Punished Miku

Aion002

CFJSdIG.jpeg

He definitely jumped the gun.

KT is the opposite of Square-Enix, they don't create crazy expectations and they don't spend more than what they need on making games.

Even if Rise of The Ronin wasn't a success, it would definitely not bomb, because the Nioh and Wo Long fans would buy enough copies to make a profit.

Koei Tecmo always play safe, even when the shit hit the fan they know what to do:

Now combining all that with Sony marketing, no way it would bomb.

Bry0

The problem with this game is it dragged on a bit too long and by the end of it the cast of characters was way, way too big. Does Nioh have this problem too?
No, nioh is a lot more soulsy and isn’t trying to tell a grand story like this game.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I think that if we manage to get the below at 4K, locked 60 and no traversal stutter, we’re looking at very fine looking game:

Damn just realized being a Koei-Tecmo game.....and a Team Ninja game at that the PC version is likely not even going to have anything to help the textures out.

Variahunter

I dropped it close to finishing the first city but I'm waiting for the PC release to play it again. This game will truly shine if they implement better post processing, LOD, frame rate and resolution.

7,6 is a decent score but people minds are warped nowadays so a 7,5 sound super bad.

if 5 is mediocre, 6 is decent and 7 is good, 7,5 is more than good in my book.

Also it doesn't help that shit like starfield or ac valhalla gets 8 or more...

Agreed anything 7 and up is something I consider good. You also have to take into account that scores wont line up exactly with yours. Thief 2014 was a great game if played in all stealth mode which I did and it got under a 7. To me the game was an 8 or higher. Even had bosses that I had to beat using stealth only.

Kokoloko85

Good for them if true. Game is decent and the combat is great, deserved a better score.

I wonder what the total sale number is though? Biggest ever means more than Ninja Gaiden, DoA, Nioh etc.…Impressive if true. All within 3-4 months on 1 console? Cant be right?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Agreed anything 7 and up is something I consider good. You also have to take into account that scores wont line up exactly with yours. Thief 2014 was a great game if played in all stealth mode which I did and it got under a 7. To me the game was an 8 or higher. Even had bosses that I had to beat using stealth only.
I'm extremely strict with scores so i never align with almost anyone :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But yeah i have pity for people who can't enjoy 7\10 games.

Last edited:

Killer8

They should do another marketing push now that Assassins Creed Shadows has been revealed and looks underwhelming.

Ronin is not a looker and the engine is struggling with the open world, but it more than makes up for it with its gameplay.

Out of all the samurai games releasing it's come out on top as the one with the best combat - which is exactly what you want in your samurai game, not just pretty virtual tourism.

Punished Miku

Semi-hot take: Nearly all of Tecmo Koei’s games have a level of ugliness to them, but it doesn’t matter because they consistently make fun 8/10 content.
That's definitely the case with Stranger in Paradise. Game was great though. They haven't had a truly great visual game since Ninja Gaiden Black / DOA 4. Rise of the Ronin has more detailed buildings than you'd expect though. Clearly spent a lot of time on it, in their AA style.

Elios83

The game was done dirty in the reviews.
It was quite good in my opinion.

Yup fantastic game with great combat system, compelling story, characters and settings. I was totally hooked for a month playing it.
It's great that it's selling really well for Tecmo/Koei, a sequel where they can iron out the weak points is definetly going to happen 🔥 :messenger_beermugs:

Reviews are a joke these days. It's just a showcase of double standards, fansites handing fake 10/10 reviews, shills/ambassadors, people who review the hype and the sentiment they read online.
It doesn't matter in the end real gamers will always have the final word.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah i looked into it.

It wasn't that i didn't believe it sold that much, more so that Nioh, Gadien, DOA etc sold less. Turns out they did which was very surprising.

So what do we think it sold then, going by this information? 2 million? 3 million?

clarky

Gold Member
So what do we think it sold then, going by this information? 2 million? 3 million?
Looks to be around that. Nearer to 3 i'd say. I think I had Gaidien and Nioh at around 1-2 million after a quick google before.

Bodes well for a sequel for those that enjoyed it, like i said i've yet to get round to it.

Last edited:
The nice thing about Team Ninja is that its a safe bet they'll have another game out around Feb-March next year. Probably will get announced end of summer.
Yes and no. I enjoy their games a lot, but I would much rather they get longer development times, honestly. They would be viewed as one of the best studios in the industry if they did that, imo. And as much as I love ROTR, it seems like a missed opportunity of what the game could have been with an extra year of development time and a new game engine. Katana sucks ass, especially for open world games

March Climber

Gold Member
Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball says hi.
And this is why I said nearly all instead of all lol.

They haven't had a truly great visual game since Ninja Gaiden Black / DOA 4. Rise of the Ronin has more detailed buildings than you'd expect though. Clearly spent a lot of time on it, in their AA style.
Ever since the PS360 generation ended, I have put Tecmo Koei on their own separate ladder of graphical fidelity. So when comparing their games to themselves, RotR is their best looking game to date.

Last edited:
Games being exclusive does bring more attention to them. Plus this game has an easy mode so it's more accessible.
I toggle to easy mode before I get too frustrated. Just trying to enjoy it.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I dropped it close to finishing the first city but I'm waiting for the PC release to play it again. This game will truly shine if they implement better post processing, LOD, frame rate and resolution.
With Koei Tecmo PC ports I would not bet on it. It will probably take a month before a mod that can tweak internal graphics settings to run without hiccups is released. Many post processing effects are pretty much hardcoded.

Last edited:

Elios83

Yes and no. I enjoy their games a lot, but I would much rather they get longer development times, honestly. They would be viewed as one of the best studios in the industry if they did that, imo. And as much as I love ROTR, it seems like a missed opportunity of what the game could have been with an extra year of development time and a new game engine. Katana sucks ass, especially for open world games

They're a business and they're forced to make responsible decisions in first place. Switching engine, having to learn how to use it and develop specific tools within the new engine costs a lot.
They know that these games tend to sell in the 2-5m units range if things go well.
They can't budget the game as a mega production that will sell 10m lifetime sales because it won't happen and it would hurt the studio with losses especially if things go wrong.
That's why most japanese developers do not target cutting edge graphics in first place. Many of them are still stucked in a PS3.5 era. Even From Software with all the success they have enjoyed is still sticking to their old technically limited engine.

This doesn't mean they can't improve things, Rise of the Ronin is a huge step up compared to Nioh and it can look stunning thanks to the great artistic direction. They could pull a Kojima and ask Sony to support them with a new engine but I doubt it will happen, they will probably be happy with Xdev helping them to improve their own tools.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Good. The game was better than i expected, even with the horrible graphics

And it's on one device and it's only been out for less than 3 months. This is ONLY good news. If and when it comes out on PC and also sells more on PS5 this holiday season, there's reasons to believe it could end up selling 5 million units in the next 2 years.

I really don't get it, you mean to tell me that Ninja Gaiden black and Ninja Gaiden 2, two of the best character action games of all time sold less after all these years compared to ROTR ? How the fook is that even possible ?

I don't know if I should be sad about NG underperforming or happy about ROTR's success...

Top Bottom