• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Blitz |OT| Rocking Out in the Instrument-Free World

Holy Wars

Banned
That's not true at all, I spent years on the forums and as long as the complaints were well written and not spit out like twelve year old trying to be seen things were debated well.

Then again, I haven't been a regular for a year+ :/

Well if it's true that guy got his posting rights removed for his posts, nothing he said was poorly written or insulting.

Harmonix has always been a very arrogant company who isn't used to criticism.

padlock

Well if it's true that guy got his posting rights removed for his posts, nothing he said was poorly written or insulting.

Harmonix has always been a very arrogant company who isn't used to criticism.

It appears I was mistaken about what happened. For some reason, logging out and back in fixed my problem. Sorry about the confusion.

SuperPac

Can't really say that I'm hurting for coins... hrm...

coins.png

But I agree with what was said. I'm never using power-ups unless I'm in a score war with someone and it probably would be good to get more practice with each power-up beforehand.

Also kind of silly that coins aren't awarded for getting the achievements in the game. I mean if they're going to lift coin/economy mechanics from social games why not go full-on?

Ridley327

Also kind of silly that coins aren't awarded for getting the achievements in the game. I mean if they're going to lift coin/economy mechanics from social games why not go full-on?

It's even stranger since that's exactly what RB3 did with the challenges; generally, the ones associated with the challenges netted you items on top of fans. Why they would move away from that is quite puzzling.

Honestly I think the best way they could change the coin system would be:

Gold Stars: Make a 100 to 200 coin profit
5 Stars: Break Even
4 Stars: Lose 100 to 200 coins
3 Stars and lower: Lose 300 to 400 coins.

That way trying over and over again to get Gold Stars on a song would cost nothing, but there is still incentive to do well so you don't lose coins.

Either way, I still haven't personally run into issues with running out of coins and the actual gameplay is just so damn fun that I really don't care.

Holy Wars

Banned
The coins aren't a massive issue if you're playing songs for the first time, if you build up a thousand or so backlog you can go through new songs and not take a major hit.

The second you want to reply score duels or just try and get a higher spot on a leaderboard, which is presumably the whole point of the game, you are fucked.

The coins aren't a massive issue if you're playing songs for the first time, if you build up a thousand or so backlog you can go through new songs and not take a major hit.

The second you want to reply score duels or just try and get a higher spot on a leaderboard, which is presumably the whole point of the game, you are fucked.

Solve this problem by getting the highest score on the leaderboards from your first attempt.

This is the strategy I use ;-)

Yeah, I'm in a Score War on Maps and had to have nine goes at it to actually beat the score I was set, and all I can do is helplessly watch my balance tick down and have nothing to show for it. It's just insane that no matter how well I do, I lose coins.

Anyway, I don't think I'm enjoying this game at all any more. I always like the idea of it so I keep putting it on, but then I play it and I'm finding it nearly impossible to have fun. It's a music game where the music comes second, the song may as well not be there half the time because you can never get into the zone because the game doesn't let you. I'm certainly not going to bother trying to gold star anything since Harmonix have decided that practicing the same song over and over is not allowed.

I know I'm still going to load the damn thing every day anyway though because when I'm not playing it the idea of it appeals to me, but then I'm just sick of it after a song when I remember how much it sucks.

jgkspsx

I would like to point out that the Facebook stuff might not be entirely their choice. Maybe they just didn't have the resources to implement that in game across both platforms. Maybe they wanted to allow cross-platform challenges and plan to do a mobile version in the future. I want to believe.

Nothing can excuse the broken powerup/coin system, of course. They'd just better fix that.

Holy Wars

Banned
I would like to point out that the Facebook stuff might not be entirely their choice. Maybe they just didn't have the resources to implement that in game across both platforms. Maybe they wanted to allow cross-platform challenges and plan to do a mobile version in the future. I want to believe.

Nothing can excuse the broken powerup/coin system, of course. They'd just better fix that.

The Facebook stuff would be good, IF they hadn't removed any way to challenge people on your friends list on the console. As an OPTION, Facebook is good. As your only option, it's a disaster.

A lot of my friends list is playing this game, and I'd really like to challenge them to some songs, but unless I get super lucky with the randomly created challenge option (which is proof it's totally feasible for the game to let you send challenges on the console), I can't.

Montresor

Solve this problem by getting the highest score on the leaderboards from your first attempt.

This is the strategy I use ;-)

I just sightread Clouds Over California with Road Rage / Blast Notes / Super Guitar and got a 19th-place-in-the-leaderboards gold star.

Feels good man. There are so many random DLC songs you can do this with, since there are so few playing such DLC songs in Blitz, unless it's a really popular song.

Also, I just gold-starred Spoonman. I finally got that one out of the way. Road Rage / Blast Notes / Super Bass was what helped me, making sure to 100% both the drum solo and the bass solo, and focusing on bass whenever possible after maxing out multipliers.

Roto13

How many coins do you get from gold starring a song? I know five stars gets you 375, which means exactly half what it costs to use the full loadout you need to earn five stars in the first place.

Holy Wars

Banned
How many coins do you get from gold starring a song? I know five stars gets you 375, which means exactly half what it costs to use the full loadout you need to earn five stars in the first place.

It depends on the difficulty of the song. It's based on the band difficulty level. For the hardest songs, gold will get you 600 max. Falls to 400 and then 250 I think.

e: this is before any bonuses.

Depends on the difficulty levels of the individual instruments. I've cleared well over 1000 coins on lots of songs with the "first time played" bonus.

It depends on the difficulty of the song. It's based on the band difficulty level. For the hardest songs, gold will get you 600 max. Falls to 400 and then 250 I think.

1/2 difficulty - 300
3/4 difficulty - 450
5/6 difficulty - 600

You get 50, 75 or 100 points per star depending on the difficulty you choose.

jgkspsx

I don't know what's going on with the Queen goal. I had 24 of 30 stars before (4 stars x 6) and played 3 of the songs again without powerups getting 3 or 4 stars each. And now I have 27 of 30 stars? WTF. Do you get one star per play after the first play?

jgkspsx

If you replayed the same song, it doesn't count.

But what I'm saying is that it DID count. I have not played any of those 6 tracks in RB3 and I have not 5-starred any of them. The maximum star count I should have is 24.

Edit: Or, on the other hand, I could learn to count to 7. Never mind :)

Edit 2: So what characteristics should I try to get the Shockwave achievement on? Does Super X track powerup help? I'd like to avoid wasting too many coins on a mostly disappointing powerup.

Only 2 Blitz songs yet to 5 star: Death on Two Legs and Sing. Any tips?

Sing was one of the songs I gold starred without even really trying. So I can't help there. But the Queen song was more difficult. I used the usual - Road Rage, Blast Notes, and Guitar. 5 starring it like that was easy, getting the gold proved a little bit harder.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
They've said they can adjust coin values without a patch, and we know they're reading this thread, so hopefully soon...

This is correct, and it's something we're actively looking at and considering how to approach. While a great number of people don't share the complaints about Power-ups, Facebook, and economy, we're hearing your feedback. How all of this affects you (if at all), really depends on how you choose to play the game; plenty of folks aren't having issues in this arena, and are enjoying the game quite a bit.

That said, we're hoping we can balance the game so that everyone is happy; how we can do that is TBD. Certainly, rewarding the cost of a complete Power-up loadout for achieving 5 or gold stars is one way to do that, but nothing has been decided yet.

This is correct, and it's something we're actively looking at and considering how to approach. While a great number of people don't share the complaints about Power-ups, Facebook, and economy, we're hearing your feedback. How all of this affects you (if at all), really depends on how you choose to play the game; plenty of folks aren't having issues in this arena, and are enjoying the game quite a bit.

That said, we're hoping we can balance the game so that everyone is happy; how we can do that is TBD. Certainly, rewarding the cost of a complete Power-up loadout for achieving 5 or gold stars is one way to do that, but nothing has been decided yet.

I guess what I don't understand is how we have two groups of people:

1. Those that play for high scores, thus aren't pleased with the coin system.

2. Those that play just to hear the songs and the scores aren't all that important.

Now, there's two ways things could go. You could leave things as they are at which point group one is negative and group two stays positive. Or you could change the coin system by either changing the values or eliminating it altogether. In that situation the first group would be positive and the second group would...still be positive? I'd have to say obviously they would be since changing the coin system doesn't negatively impact them.

So why leave the coin system as it is?

Edit: And of course I'll be realistic. Harmonix has their reasons they won't be completely transparent related to how the coin system theoretically leads to more DLC sales as well as pushing people to use the Facebook out of necessity instead of preference. I believe it's fairly obvious why theirs a very outspoken group of us, the majority in this thread, that would at least like to see some changes.

MrBS

Well I beat all the songs, did all goals via facebook app I can so I'm happy. Got some solid fun out of it and my RB3 library is that much bigger. Great purchase.

VanWinkle

Here's the thing. Say I want to go on there, and start getting five stars on some songs (I have four stars on everything right now). I have 300 coins right now. I use one powerup (which is all I can afford). I still get four stars because it's hard to get more without more powerups. I earn 300 coins, which is the same amound I spent on that one powerup earlier, so I'm back to square one. If playing the game and trying to beat my star ratings is how I want to play the game (which seems like a perfectly legit way to play and how score-based games have been played for many many years), it seems wrong that I cannot play the game in its current state. I can't get 5 stars because I can't afford powerups, and I'm stuck in this 300 coin nightmare. I played the game for at least an hour for the first three days and haven't played it since a single time. I want to. I love the gameplay.

I shouldn't have to buy more songs to get a double coin bonus, and I shouldn't have to use Facebook to get coins, just so I can get five stars on a song! I never had this problem with any other rhythm game. I bought your game; let me play it.

Roto13

I guess what I don't understand is how we have two groups of people:

1. Those that play for high scores, thus aren't pleased with the coin system.

2. Those that play just to hear the songs and the scores aren't all that important.

Now, there's two ways things could go. You could leave things as they are at which point group one is negative and group two stays positive. Or you could change the coin system by either changing the values or eliminating it altogether. In that situation the first group would be positive and the second group would...still be positive? I'd have to say obviously they would be since changing the coin system doesn't negatively impact them.

So why leave the coin system as it is?

Edit: And of course I'll be realistic. Harmonix has their reasons they won't be completely transparent related to how the coin system theoretically leads to more DLC sales as well as pushing people to use the Facebook out of necessity instead of preference. I believe it's fairly obvious why theirs a very outspoken group of us, the majority in this thread, that would at least like to see some changes.

I don't know how anyone can just play this game for fun and not be bothered by the coin system. I'm not having fun when I'm not playing with power-ups. The power-ups are one of only two things that keep Blitz from being a dumbed down version of Unplugged. (The other being the multiplier system.)

I don't know how anyone can just play this game for fun and not be bothered by the coin system. I'm not having fun when I'm not playing with power-ups. The power-ups are one of only two things that keep Blitz from being a dumbed down version of Unplugged. (The other being the multiplier system.)

There's a handful of people in this thread that have stated that they play without power-ups and/or don't really care about scores. So they're out there. On this site it's definitely the minority.

For me the solution would just be to include leaderboards for each song for playing it with no power-ups. I don't find it particularly fun going for high scores as it is anyway because you're never sure if you're just bad at the game or you haven't found that magic combination of power-ups which means you'll never be able to challenge. I understand that there's a "challenge" in choosing the correct power-ups but it's not one I find fun.

If there were leaderboards for no power-ups, it'd effectively double the size of the game and it'd mean that if you had to grind for coins you would still have something to play for. The leaderboards would be far more interesting too, since they'd be purely skill based.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can't really say that I'm hurting for coins... hrm...

coins.png

But I agree with what was said. I'm never using power-ups unless I'm in a score war with someone and it probably would be good to get more practice with each power-up beforehand.

Where do these goals live? I bought the game Saturday night whilst drunk enjoyed it quite a lot but it is annoying not being able to use power-ups every song because I earn less coins than I use all the time :(. Even though I am getting 4/5 stars most of the time.

For me the solution would just be to include leaderboards for each song for playing it with no power-ups. I don't find it particularly fun going for high scores as it is anyway because you're never sure if you're just bad at the game or you haven't found that magic combination of power-ups which means you'll never be able to challenge. I understand that there's a "challenge" in choosing the correct power-ups but it's not one I find fun.

If there were leaderboards for no power-ups, it'd effectively double the size of the game and it'd mean that if you had to grind for coins you would still have something to play for. The leaderboards would be far more interesting too, since they'd be purely skill based.

I've been playing the game all weekend and I'm totally addicted to it. I came into this thread to post the same suggestion as the above.

So at first I played with no power ups and was just learning the basic board switching and multiplier system.
Once I'd unlocked all the power ups I went for the achievements for each, while continuing to play new songs.
Now that I've done that, I'm grinding my way (while having a good time) to the 300 songs played achievement.
Then I'll try and gold star the 25 Blitz songs.

After that.... I think I'm done. But I've put about 7 or 8 hours into the game and if it ends there, then I've definitely had my money's worth and it'll be back to RB3. If there were a "no power up" leaderboard, I think I'd stick with this game for a long time as I'd have something to aim for while grinding coins for taking a run at the actual high scores.

Holy Wars

Banned
A vanilla mode leaderboards would be great, but it obviously won't happen.

Just either ditch the coin system, or of you insist on having it have a 5 star score break even. It's so easy.

There's a handful of people in this thread that have stated that they play without power-ups and/or don't really care about scores. So they're out there. On this site it's definitely the minority.

They must work for Harmonix then. Without powerups the game is a sub-standard Amplitude clone. With powerups, well it's still that, but at least it's more fun than playing with the knowledge that you have no chance of getting a high score. I hope the defense posts from Harmonix that popped up on their forums doesn't mean that they actually believe they're right and the complainers are wrong.

jgkspsx

It's not awful without powerups. For songs I like, which I have a lot of, I really enjoy just hearing emphasis on one part at a time. It was worth playing through my REM collection just for that.

But it's not nearly as exciting as with the powerups.

Roto13

It's not awful without powerups. For songs I like, which I have a lot of, I really enjoy just hearing emphasis on one part at a time. It was worth playing through my REM collection just for that.

But it's not nearly as exciting as with the powerups.

Ha, I hate that so much I would have stopped playing immediately if I couldn't turn it off.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
The coin system is incredibly dumb. It's a F2P model that I paid real money for. Take that shit out.

It's not good design, it's bloody awful design. What were they even thinking?

louiedog

I really like the gameplay. I really like using the powerups. I hate picking my song and finding out I can't use them. It makes me want to stop playing every single time.

As the game was about to come out I was listening to a lot of Queen and thought, "Hmmm, maybe it's time to finally buy those Queen packs." After playing the game for a few days I still haven't bought any of them even though there's a challenge involving those songs. It's not some stand against the coin system or out of principle thinking if I announce my reluctance to buy DLC they'll change it. I have the msp sitting on my account ready to spend. I'm just not having as much fun as I'd like because I really like playing with the powerups and getting to the screen where I see that I can't afford them washes that fun away. It's a real bummer and makes me want to play less. I'm not sure if I'll get as much out of those songs as I'd like.

Holy Wars

Banned
But just think, if you buy those songs you'll get enough coins to last you 3 or 4 songs! Then all you have to is buy some more amazing songs on the Rock Band Music store to get even more coins! Don't forget to visit us on Facebook to earn even more coins and get the chance to compete for the top spots on the leaderboards for your new songs!

I have like 50 people on my friends list and only 2 play RB Blitz :( and the 2 who play have crazy high scores. Guess I need to keep practicing. Having fun with the game though.

Top Bottom