• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Blitz |OT| Rocking Out in the Instrument-Free World

I haven't dipped below 25,000 coins in the past 8 days after over 400 "sessions" played.

Yeah, but you're not playing it like other people. You're just playing song after song and getting double coins and don't really care what score you get (they just happen to be good).

If you started playing score wars or trying to improve your scores, or you didn't have hundreds of songs, you'd be screwed. I played Maps like 20 times for a score war and lost thousands of coins even though I gold-starred it every time.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I haven't been using coins and I only have 11k. :\

I usually just 3/4 star a song without any power ups...

U2NUMB

I have like 50 people on my friends list and only 2 play RB Blitz :( and the 2 who play have crazy high scores. Guess I need to keep practicing. Having fun with the game though.

I have about 10 people on my list that have bought the game (out of 100) which I think is a pretty good ratio. I am enjoying the game very much, at this point I have plenty of coins.

gutabo

This might be way off topic but I don't know where's the right place for this question...

I have a rock band 2 drum set and I'm planning on buying another kick drum pedal. I just noticed a black hole in the back of the set, between the orange and the yellow/blue/green plugs. What is it for? Since I'm going to connect them to my PC, can I use it for a double pedal? Or do I need to buy the adapter? The difference is 40 bucks so... Thanks in advance!

I haven't dipped below 25,000 coins in the past 8 days after over 400 "sessions" played.

How many of those sessions were unique songs?

Play the same few songs over and over and watch how you'll lose 25,000 within a couple hours.

Not all of us have or want a 300+ song library. Also some of us want to compete for leaderboard scores.

Clearly if you have a giant song collection and jump from new song to new song, coins are not an issue. But that's literally the only way to play the game with the way it's been designed.

You're not playing it as a stand-alone game. It's a stand-alone game that requires tons of DLC to even be able to play well. Anyone that just buys the game is getting a turd. They're getting a game that is forcing them to play the same songs over and over and over without powerups. That's why the game's design is a huge failure. I expect better from Harmonix. The fact remains that you CANT earn coins ever by playing the game with 3 powerups unless you buy more and more DLC.

Holy Wars

Banned
Even playing new songs gives you less than you spend. I had to farm playing a short song 10 times again last night to get my coins up band I wasn't even doing any score duels.

How many of those sessions were unique songs?

Play the same few songs over and over and watch how you'll lose 25,000 within a couple hours.

Not all of us have or want a 300+ song library. Also some of us want to compete for leaderboard scores.

Clearly if you have a giant song collection and jump from new song to new song, coins are not an issue. But that's literally the only way to play the game with the way it's been designed.
Yup, in that regards, I can see it being an issue for anyone who has sub ~100 songs.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Nice review.

It was sad to see Jeff Green on twitter lauding Harmonix for what a great system they have in RBB.

I just don't have the same issues with it as other folks do, I guess. Maybe because I'm just enjoying playing the songs without an instrument, and don't really give a shit what my score is. So all the angst over power-ups, coins, etc is just not really something I can relate to. I'm sorry if that makes you sad. :(

I just don't have the same issues with it as other folks do, I guess. Maybe because I'm just enjoying playing the songs without an instrument, and don't really give a shit what my score is. So all the angst over power-ups, coins, etc is just not really something I can relate to. I'm sorry if that makes you sad. :(

Your way is a totally legit way to play it, the frustration just comes from that being the only way to play it, and how relatively simple a fix would be that would make the game viable for both groups of people.

I mean, I'm glad Harmonix has come out and said they're looking at it, but I wonder how much time they have before people like me who want to play it for score decide to move on, and people like you who enjoy playing different songs get bored after they go through everything and then move on as well.

Fox Mulder

Sure, that's fine.

The coins currently do nothing for people that play like that, but ruins the game for people that try for high scores. I played the hell out of Rock Band/Guitar Hero for fun, but came back to get gold stars as I progressed to higher difficulty levels. I want my scores to be limited by skill, not coins.

I guess it's good I have a bunch of dlc.

Now that I've actually burned through a fourth of my songs (~120 ish), I'm starting to look through high scoring, and I'm definitely hitting the same cap that many of you have mentioned. My sight-reads are usually yielding 4 stars (close to 4.5), but even with repeated practice, it seems like nailing 5 is not possible for a lot of tracks without using at least one power up.

More importantly, this also means that gold starring is pretty much impossible without any powerup (and some are just fubar-ed, like not hitting any notes and using the pinball and getting gold stars on certain songs).

I'm more than happy right now just burning through my catalogue of songs and just getting a decent score on them, but I can see this turning south REAL FAST when I have to try to repeat certain songs just for the coins.

So far I've gold starred 171 songs out of the 382 unique songs I've played. I'll continue working on playing "new" songs until my catalog is completed. Most of those gold stars came from sight reads. It's always a pleasant surprise to get a top ten score from random dlc, of course every day that becomes harder since more and more people are playing the game.

I've been bumped down to 7th on the overall Xbox leaderboards (the highest position I've held was 4th)

It's a high score-centric game. Playing without powerups defeats the purpose of playing the game. If the gameplay was solid without powerups, I'd have less of a problem. But two-gem notetracks is braindead easy.

I don't mind using coins to buy powerups. Where the game is a huge failure is that the best you can do in a song is 5 Gold Star it. And when you do that, the reward for doing so is often twice as few coins as you spent just to play it. Incredibly stupid game design.

Minamu

My left thumb hurts now after some serious jamming :( I can't keep up when it goes left left right left left right left left right and so on.

Fox Mulder

My left thumb hurts now after some serious jamming :( I can't keep up when it goes left left right left left right left left right and so on.

I switched to playing notes with the L/R triggers. I used to play guitar hero aerosmith with a controller, so it's kind of similar.

Grohl songs should be Nirvana, and Foo Fighters obviously. Also Them Crooked Vultures and Queens of the Stone Age. There has to be so much more ... maybe Tenacious D?

Grohl songs should be Nirvana, and Foo Fighters obviously. Also Them Crooked Vultures and Queens of the Stone Age. There has to be so much more ... maybe Tenacious D?
Yes, Tenacious D they did count in the RB3 achievement.

(hint: You can play this goal in both RB3 and RB Blitz!)
Does this mean I can do the same song twice, once in RB3 and in RBB?

Holy Wars

Banned
The amount of DLC required to complete most the goals is ridiculous, and I own hundreds and hundreds of songs. I think my library is over 600 or so songs and I still can't do most of them.

Robin64

So I just nabbed this. Halfway through a go of Still Alive, I lost connection to Rock Band Central. Now it can't connect to it at all. Is this normal? The game seems to rely so heavily on it, I feel playing without it connected would be pointless.

louiedog

Glad it's back up, but I'll give it awhile before trying again. I just shut off my console.

I came home, started something for dinner that has to sit for an hour, and sat down to relax with some RBB. I can't play with powerups at all because the server is down. Seriously? I'd be fine if it meant no leaderboard play, no goals, but no powerups? There are some serious player-unfriendly design choices made in this game.

Montresor

I played Maps for the first time and gold-starred it with a score good enough for #5 on the leaderboard. I was awarded 300 coins for gold-starring and an extra 300 for playing it for the first time. 600 coins for a #5 performance and it cost 750 coins...

Holy Wars

Banned
I played Maps for the first time and gold-starred it with a score good enough for #5 on the leaderboard. I was awarded 300 coins for gold-starring and an extra 300 for playing it for the first time. 600 coins for a #5 performance and it cost 750 coins...

Economy

Played a bunch of this, pretty neat. Only using the middle powerups, which seems to do well, and of course playing lots of new songs. Noone else on my friend's list playing this yet. Also did some easy goals ...

Ozone

Play it again real quick with no power-ups, and boom, you'll be in the green again.

I play songs all the time with no power-ups. It's good practice for lane-switching and getting a feel for the charts. Then I can go back later with power-ups based on what I observed from how I played (what super instrument I should use, if I should use note-removing power-ups if I struggle with filling the lanes, etc.) and get a high score and even more coins. Maybe it's just me, but I'd like to take my time an just enjoy playing the game rather than constantly be rushing in and gold starring everything off the bat.

louiedog

Play it again real quick with no power-ups, and boom, you'll be in the green again.

I play songs all the time with no power-ups. It's good practice for lane-switching and getting a feel for the charts. Then I can go back later with power-ups based on what I observed from how I played (what super instrument I should use, if I should use note-removing power-ups if I struggle with filling the lanes, etc.) and get a high score and even more coins. Maybe it's just me, but I'd like to take my time an just enjoy playing the game rather than constantly be rushing in and gold starring everything off the bat.

I don't play for practice or score. I play for fun. I have more fun when I'm using the powerups. I'd play an offline leaderboardless mode if it meant I could use powerups whenever I want.

jgkspsx

Can't complete any of the new setlists (besides the two easy ones and the community one). I love Jack White, but don't care much for Dead Weather or the second Raconteurs album. Bah.

Top Bottom