• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ROG ALLY has 8TF performance in boost mode. Pricing aiming under $1000. Launches may 11 with 3 months of gamepass

GHG

Nah, it will do good 30-40 min judging by the 6800u handhelds. 😉

That's... Still not good.

But still a nice option to have I guess. I can't imagine the noise in that mode.

I'd like whatever the next steam deck is to have a sizable overhead above this so that it can comfortably deliver this kind of performance without compromising on battery life and needing the fans to go crazy.

Last edited:

MikeM

8 tittyflops
breast big boobs GIF

Was expecting more men of culture to arrive with that bait.

StereoVsn

This thing looked really interesting when they said it was going to be launched at a "market disrupting price". $1000 ain't it.
We are guessing here, mind you. But it's never a good sign when something is "under $x" because usually that means like $1 under or even $0.01 under.

They supposedly have 2 models so may have a lower power lower cost version.

That's... Still not good.

But still a nice option to have I guess. I can't imagine the noise in that mode.

I'd like whatever the next steam deck is to have a sizable overhead above this so that it can comfortably deliver this kind of performance without compromising on battery life and needing the fans to go crazy.
Yeah, it kind of sucks which is why any benches and game results taken at the 30w turbo mode are mostly pointless and misleading.

They do give you an option to run in docked which is nice. That said, Asus supposedly stated that we are looking at significant performance improvement over the Deck at 15w.

Soodanim

Gold Member
"Under $1000" can mean $999.99. Thought they were shooting for like $700.

Edit: Dammit darrylgorn darrylgorn ! 😅
"Can mean"? I think it's more "will mean". Companies don't advertise prices higher than they have to, and that strong commitment means nothing but $999.99

Edit: you beat me to it. I'll delete myself

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I’m pretty skeptical as a Steam Deck/Switch owner but fuck it if they can do it, great. The more competition in this space the better.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
"Under $1000" can mean $999.99. Thought they were shooting for like $700.

Edit: Dammit darrylgorn darrylgorn ! 😅
It's possible that they were talking about the high-end 8c/16t|12CU unit for performance, while simultaneously indirectly referring to the previously unknown until 4 days ago, 6c/12t|4CU cheaper model for price.

Sleepwalker

Im kinda not interested at 1k, money isnt a problem but I enjoy less demanding games on the deck despite being able to play AAA games so the extra horsepower is kinda lost on me.

If they had stuck an OLED screen in there I would buy day 1 lol

StereoVsn

Im kinda not interested at 1k, money isnt a problem but I enjoy less demanding games on the deck despite being able to play AAA games so the extra horsepower is kinda lost on me.

If they had stuck an OLED screen in there I would buy day 1 lol
The screen isn't bad. It's 500 nit, 100% SRGB color space, decent contrast AND Freesync/VRR. The latter is huge and I would take that over OLED.

Would it be good to have VRR and OLED? Sure, but that would add significant cost and nobody seems to be making such screen.

Banned
If this is coming in at $1k then no way a Switch 2 is coming in more powerful or even close to the power at a $300-$350 price point.

ROG has to make money from selling hardware, they don't have any revenue stream from selling the system beyond selling the system.

R&D costs also has to be brought back through selling the system.

Nintendo doesn't have to make a profit from selling a console. it can sell the system at the same price they pay to manufacture and ship it, and then make money from selling games/licensing fees.

the same reason the Steam Deck was able to be sold at near Switch pricing 1½ years ago, because Valve wants you to buy games on Steam for it.

also rumors say the high end version of the ROG will be 1000 bucks, but versions with less storage will be cheaper.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
The iGPU will never behave anywhere close to a 8TF desktop RDNA2.

First, because that GPU is starving on memory bandwidth with only 120GB/s shared with no less than 8 CPU Zen4 cores.
Second, because those 8TFLOPs result from the new double-pumped RDNA3 ALUs whose functionality hasn't been enabled in the compiler.

As it is, it'll be lucky to perform like a RX 6400 (sans the 4GB VRAM limitation, as it'll probably be able to access up to 12GB or so). Which is still mighty fine for a low-settings 1080p / high settings 720p scenario.

Sleepwalker

The screen isn't bad. It's 500 nit, 100% SRGB color space, decent contrast AND Freesync/VRR. The latter is huge and I would take that over OLED.

Would it be good to have VRR and OLED? Sure, but that would add significant cost and nobody seems to be making such screen.
Id take oled over vrr to be honest but you know what they say about opinions!

The switch OLED for example just looks so much better than my deck.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm seriously doubting 8tf is real, but if it is, that's impressive for sure.

But under $1000? I thought they said they understood it had to be competitive with steam deck? 999 is not. And if it's premium, it needs an oled screen.
It needs to be $599.

Last edited:
Top Bottom