• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ROG ALLY has 8TF performance in boost mode. Pricing aiming under $1000. Launches may 11 with 3 months of gamepass

TwinB242

If they can deliver a Windows image that's functionally at least 90-95% equivalent to a Desktop/Laptop, that alone will be a night and day improvement over Steamdeck's janky ass Linux, Proton nonsense, and tiered compatibility horseshit.

As someone who for some reason bought a Ayaneo Air, I can tell you without a doubt that Windows on a handheld is an AWFUL experience, and any alternative to that would be better.

Somewhere between the price of a steam deck and 999.99 I stop caring about it being handheld. I'd rather just get a dedicated gaming desktop

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Enticing indeed. I look forward to reading reviews, what accessories it comes with. I would wait a few months before making the purchase. Would hate to spend all that money only to have a faulty device.

graywolf323

has there been anything official for the price? $700 seems like a crazy good deal and given it launches in ~2 weeks and all Asus has said is it would be ”below $1k” I feel like if they knew they were going to be $700 that they would have just said that instead?

if it’s not though they better nip this in the bud quickly or when they announce the real price that’s higher a lot of people are going to be even more disappointed because they got hyped for a fake price

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
has there been anything official for the price? $700 seems like a crazy good deal and given it launches in ~2 weeks and all Asus has said is it would be ”below $1k” I feel like if they knew they were going to be $700 that they would have just said that instead?

if it’s not though they better nip this in the bud quickly or when they announce the real price that’s higher a lot of people are going to be even more disappointed because they got hyped for a fake price

It's 699...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If they can deliver a Windows image that's functionally at least 90-95% equivalent to a Desktop/Laptop, that alone will be a night and day improvement over Steamdeck's janky ass Linux, Proton nonsense, and tiered compatibility horseshit.
Let me tell you, for whatever jank or whatever opinion that you stated, the steam deck is the best handheld I've ever used given everything that it does. Tell me one that has the kind of support and usability that makes it even easy for a casual to get into as easy as the steam day. Mind you I don't disagree and I'm pretty excited about this thing given the price. I would even maybe consider selling my steam bag for this thing pending reliability and quality issues.

But let's not be too quick and haste to completely go to the deep end criticizing valve for putting out a really good piece of hardware with a compatibility layer that just works for the most part. And I repeat again, for the casual person they might not want to mess with desktop mode and things like that to further enhance the experience and things like emulation. But for those just want to turn it on and run it like a console or dedicated handheld, this thing is unbeatable.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

The marketing for this thing has been a disaster from day one (day one being fucking April fools day, when they advertised it alongside their contact lenses prank from last year). It's like they're flying by the seat of their pants.

graywolf323

It's 699...
yes I’m aware that’s what the leak from that twitter user Snoopy Tech claims which then the Verge and others have since reported on but why are people acting like that’s confirmed and not just a rumor? what kind of history does this Snoopy Tech have for previous leaks being correct?

The marketing for this thing has been a disaster from day one (day one being fucking April fools day, when they advertised it alongside their contact lenses prank from last year). It's like they're flying by the seat of their pants.
agreed, I don’t understand what Asus is doing here at all marketing wise but if that $700 price is in fact accurate I’m intrigued

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
yes I’m aware that’s what the leak from that twitter user Snoopy Tech claims which then the Verge and others have since reported on but why are people acting like that’s confirmed and not just a rumor? what kind of history does this Snoopy Tech have for previous leaks being correct?

agreed, I don’t understand what Asus is doing here at all marketing wise but if that $700 price is in fact accurate I’m intrigued

I said it yesterday before the twitter account...I am no insider but I have foreseen it!

Trust me.

supernova8

Banned
I mean here we are talking about it, and not the Steam Deck or the Aya Neo or GPD Win etc etc so I'd say their marketing is pretty spot on.

On the rumored $699 price, I don't recall ASUS ever being generous with pricing so if it really is 699, perhaps AMD is partially subsidizing it and/or gave ASUS a good deal on the chips in return for ASUS committing to doing a lot more AMD-based laptops or something? It's not like AMD cares who "wins" the gaming handheld war. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a long-term play to gradually entice Nintendo over to team red.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Im kinda not interested at 1k, money isnt a problem but I enjoy less demanding games on the deck despite being able to play AAA games so the extra horsepower is kinda lost on me.

If they had stuck an OLED screen in there I would buy day 1 lol
This is why Switch has this area cornered for me. I guess people are into it but I find full on AAA/3D games designed for a TV/monitor on that little screen is usually crappy. If the game is a good fit for the screen size/form factor chances are the Switch could run it anyway. Yeah I know PC/Switch software are worlds apart but it's more than sufficient for just having something to fall back on when the need for a "game boy" arises. I'd rather get a laptop at $1k

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I’ll gift you a game of your choice from my Humble Bundle collection of keys I either didn’t want or already had if you end up being right 😜 (and I have a lot 😅)
Oh, this is amazing thank you so much :D I am feeling confident :D.

Are you in the UK at all? if you are in the UK, do you like Curry's?
This is unbelievable, wow. I assume it supports keyboard and mouse and you can plug it to a tv/monitor, if so I will think about buying one instead of a laptop.

It is literally a windows 11 PC in your hand, it supports all accessories a PC will support and even supports Asus external GPU's in their propriety hardware so you can even boost your graphics to your monitor if you wanted to invest in that option. It has thunderbolt out too so you can use a dock to run on your TV.

Ozriel

M$FT
As someone who for some reason bought a Ayaneo Air, I can tell you without a doubt that Windows on a handheld is an AWFUL experience, and any alternative to that would be better.

As someone who’s installed Windows on a partition on my Steamdeck, it’s perfectly fine, especially if you’re just gaming on it and spend all your time inside Steam etc.

Asus Armor Crate software overlay seems to be a nice way to make the interface really controller friendly.

Tams

The amount of cope in this thread from Deckboys.

Marine Life Reaction GIF by pikaole

SABRE220

procesory-amd-ryzen-z1-extreme-zen4-rdna3-02.jpg

If this thing has 8TF RDNA3 then these performance results are oddly several times too low... something shady here
Typical marketing bs dont be surpised if theres a * next to 8tflops. Its the inflated rdna3 tflops which gives the impression its much more powerful than rdna2 equivilants even series s etc, then theres heat throttling which would ensure it can almost never output that peak ingame and finally the bandwidth simply isn't there in the handheld form to keep up not even close.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Typical marketing bs. Its the inflated rdna3 tflops which gives the impression its much more powerful than rdna2 equivilants even series s etc, then theres heat throttling which would ensure it can almost never output that peak ingame and finally the bandwidth simply isn't there in the handheld form to keep up not even close.
Realistically I think we can expect like 15-20% uplift at same TDP over the Deck and quite a bit more at say 20w.

Most folks wouldn't be running this thing with over 20w (30-40%?) unless docked since it would kill battery life.

SABRE220

Realistically I think we can expect like 15-20% uplift at same TDP over the Deck and quite a bit more at say 20w.

Most folks wouldn't be running this thing with over 20w (30-40%?) unless docked since it would kill battery life.
Yeah the benchmarks pretty much killed most of the hype, its hardly a massive leap from the deck.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I'm happy if this thing does 1080p 60 and I can squeeze 4-5 hours of battery life from it. That's what I want from a handheld.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm happy if this thing does 1080p 60 and I can squeeze 4-5 hours of battery life from it. That's what I want from a handheld.
That seems reasonable, as long as you're playing something that isn't very demanding. If you're expecting something like this to play Elden Ring for 4 hours at 1080p / 60fps, you're going to be disappointed. At least for now.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
That seems reasonable, as long as you're playing something that isn't very demanding. If you're expecting something like this to play Elden Ring for 4 hours at 1080p / 60fps, you're going to be disappointed. At least for now.

I mostly play indies and AA games, but of course there is the occasional AAA game too. Playing Elden Ring on the go would be awesome, but 60 fps maybe is stretching it too far. Would battery life improve drastically if go 30 fps? For portable play I can live with 30.

Last edited:

jshackles

I mostly play indies and AA games, but of course there is the occasional AAA game too. Playing Elden Ring on the go would be awesome, but 60 fps maybe is stretching it too far. Would battery life improve drastically if go 30 fps? For portable play I can live with 30.
For comparison’s sake, the Steam Deck can play Doom 3 BFG Edition for 5 hours at 1280x800, 60fps before running out of juice. Given the Ally's specs it's reasonable to assume that it could do 1080p / 60fps for at least the same amount of playtime, maybe longer (depending on a TON of different factors, like how much battery life this thing actually has in practice, how it is configured to perform when unplugged, etc...)

So - while it may be capable of 8TF (lol) and could probably play something like Elden Ring at 1080p/60fps, it may only be able to do so for about 30-40 minutes tops. Cutting the framerate in half to 30 would theoretically double that time (though in reality, not really) so you might be able to get an hour and a half, maybe two hours out of it? Steam Deck can play it for about 2 hours, but that's at 30fps and 800p.

Anyway, this is all very crystal ball at this point until we have confirmed specs and the hands on reviews out there now all say that the battery hardware they received isn't final and that they're not allowed to comment on it. Again lol.

Last edited:

JCK75

It's awesome to see better chips, but what I want to know is about how repairable it is and how cheap/available parts are..
most of my decision to take a shot at the steam deck was how much I could replace myself.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Anyway, this is all very crystal ball at this point until we have confirmed specs and the hands on reviews out there now all say that the battery hardware they received isn't final and that they're not allowed to comment on it. Again lol.

It's kinda worrisome that they aren't allowed to speak on the battery. It doesn't instill confidence regarding how much juice this thing actually has.

Lysandros

What does "8 TF of performance" even mean? Absolutely meaningless statement. It will perform at "4TF" XSS levels at the very best, possibly worse. It's hilarious to see some to fall into this PR trick yet again.

UnNamed

Banned
What does "8 TF of performance" even mean? Absolutely meaningless statement. It will perform at "4TF" XSS levels at the very best, possibly worse. It's hilarious to see some to fall into this PR trick yet again.
I don't know what type of chipset is inside, but 8TF could be 2100cores at 1.8ghz in boost mode. I don't know if there is a mobile chipset with all that cores though.

Baki

It’s probably a controlled leak.

SABRE220

Its typical marketing bullshit, even if by a miracle it actually is equivalent to 8tflops of rdna2 it would be hilariously unbalanced since its bandwidth would choke it. Its not even close to series S levels it runs farcy6 at low settings at 720p upscaled with frs....if it actually performed even close to series s it would be an actual market shaker.

Last edited:

Zathalus

It's 8 TF of RDNA3, so equal to (roughly) 4.4 TF of RDNA2. You would think it would perform better then a Series S, but alas it is hampered by the extremally low memory bandwidth of around 120GB/s. Honestly they should have doubled the memory channels to 8x for almost 250GB/s bandwidth. Sure cost would have gone up but it certainly would be worth it from a performance standpoint.

Lysandros

Its typical marketing bullshit, even if by a miracle it actually is equivalent to 8tflops of rdna2 it would be hilariously unbalanced since its bandwidth would choke it. Its not even close to series S levels it runs farcy6 at low settings at 720p upscaled with frs....if it actually performed even close to series s it would be an actual market shaker.
Yeah, even XSS is a far reach apparently, it makes sense with the power and bandwidth constraints.

Now I want this instead of a laptop. $700 is good for the specs!
Personally I'd much prefer 60Hz 720p OLED. 120fps on handheld is the same as 2K display - waste of resources (or battery life).

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I like how most media think this 8.6 TF makes it close to PS5/XSX.

The TF counts for those machines is based on FP32 workloads. This is, without a doubt, FP16.

Top Bottom