• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

Were they not as positive as these overall? That's the part I'm skeptical about
The positives were just as good, but my point was that there were more negative impressions than what we've seen thus far. I think I've only seen two tweets that had anything bad to say about R1 and they were very minor. TFA was criticised more on day one I can definitely remember that. But it's also set up to be scrutinized more since it's a main episode.

The Collider crew seems to have loved it as well based on their Twitter. I think Campea said he liked it more than TFA. They can be very fanboyish be still, it's a good sign. I'm super excited for next thursday.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Haha, Gary Whitta didn't need redemption IMO, but he sure as shit got it according to early reports.

Ridisc

Banned
The Collider crew seems to have loved it as well based on their Twitter. I think Campea said he liked it more than TFA. They can be very fanboyish be still, it's a good sign. I'm super excited for next thursday.

I watch collider every day and Jedi councils on the thursday, of all impressions I dont take theirs to heart, they are relentlessly positive about all things.

Campea thinks BvS and Man of Steel are incredible films

Nothing wrong with their opinions, but they always, always, err on the incredibly optimistic side of the table.

The positives were just as good, but my point was that there were more negative impressions than what we've seen thus far.

You very well could be right, but I'm still skeptical unless I see those tweets myself, as I recall most of the early feedback being extremely positive in general--let alone early Twitter impressions. It wasn't until weeks or maybe even a couple months later that I remember the reaction turning a bit sour

I watch collider every day and Jedi councils on the thursday, of all impressions I dont take theirs to heart, they are relentlessly positive about all things.

Campea thinks BvS and Man of Steel are incredible films

Nothing wrong with their opinions, but they always, always, err on the incredibly optimistic side of the table.

Oh, I know. I really like them but I don't give much credence to their reviews since they never dare to get too negative with anything fanboy related (except for some easy targets like Transformers) but the fact that Campea quantified that he like it more than TFA is pretty interesting I think.

And Man of Steel IS an incredible film.

Ridisc

Banned
Oh, I know. I really like them but I don't give much credence to their reviews since they never dare to get too negative with anything fanboy related (except for some easy targets like Transformers) but the fact that Campea quantified that he like it more than TFA is pretty interesting I think.

Ill listen to their reviews of course, I dont write them off in terms of everything they say is wrong, but their overall vibe is "Lets look for all the good" which is admirable, but its not how I view movies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Yes. Jar Jar Binks is an example of a "Coon" caricature. Just because he isn't sporting blackface and living on a plantation doesn't mean his characterization isn't similar.
See also: Mudflap and Skids from Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Linkura

Oh my god, that banner. Thought for a second after seeing just 1 or 2 of them, "Fuck is Jar Jar in this?!?!" Then I realized everyone was Gungan and I'd been had.

Ridisc

Banned
Kristopher Tapley ✔ @kristapley
Rogue One: First time I've cared about the characters. Best Vader scene ever. Some VFX moments that will, well, annoy actors. Dug it.

Hyperbole of course, but ti does make me wonder what he is talking about

Boke1879

Rogue One: First time I've cared about the characters. Best Vader scene ever. Some VFX moments that will, well, annoy actors. Dug it.

Gonna go out on a limb and say it's scene that shows him being a true enforcer. Ruthless killer. A terminator of sorts.

Quick

Banned
Gonna go out on a limb and say it's scene that shows him being a true enforcer. Ruthless killer. A terminator of sorts.

This is something I've been wanting to see live-action in some time. Not Anakin, but straight up Vader himself.

I'm going to see this movie, at best, the 22th because I'm away for work now, but I don't think I'm going to see movie-ruining spoilers on social networks. I think.
Still sucks.

"First time I've cared about the characters" seems like an odd comment since it was the first time you've actually seen the movie. I don't really have the expectation of getting attached to characters through trailers.

sam777

I was not planning on watching this in the cinema as I did not expect it to be good, good to see it looks like I am wrong.

Mariolee

With this movie though, the only review I care about is Kristian Harloff's.

Quick

Banned
I wish I could just buy my ticket for Thursday already, but my job is unpredictable in that there's a chance I'd have to stay behind or something.

Checked reserved seating at the theatre - IMAX 3D is filled up aside from a couple of places and the front. Regular 3D is half-full, 2D is fairly filled.

sphagnum

Banned
I wonder to what extent the reshoots under Gilroy had a positive effect on the characters. Edwards' name will get associated with RO if it's really as great as the reviews are making it sound, but it may not have been entirely his doing.

Pachimari

Peter Sciretta ‏@slashfilm 12h12 hours ago
Theres an amazing amount of footage/dialogue in the #RogueOne trailers and marketing that are not in the film, including
Troopers in water.
This would deeply sadden me. It's such a beautiful shot.

Metalmarc

Except this time they dont sound very positive

The "lack of heart" one

Wrong

giphy.gif

Peter Sciretta ‏@slashfilm 12h12 hours ago
Theres an amazing amount of footage/dialogue in the #RogueOne trailers and marketing that are not in the film, including
Troopers in water.
Damn! That's my favorite shot in the trailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom