• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pretty much everything I can tell you until Embargo drops, sorry.

Don't let my opinion discourage you, there were a loooot of people who loved it! I have a feeling this will be a really big hit with people who are huge fans of the original trilogy.

Are you not a huge fan of the OT?

Dinda

Just came out of a german showing and can't get into specifics until embargo drops, but it seems like half the audience thought it was great & better than 7, half thought it was merely OK and disappointing. I'm part of the second camp. Absolutely mindblowing action in the last 40 minutes, quite boring and confused until then - biggest problem are without a doubt the really weak characters.

When you say german showing that probably also includes german dubbed right?
Just asking because from my own experience a bad (or just not a real good) dub can go a long way to make characters look way worse than they are in the original.
I for example really don't think i would have liked Kylo Ren in the german dubbed version (to which i listened a bit on the blu ray version) since it is such a thin line with him between a good delivery and something that sounds just too emo.
But i'm just overall not a big fan of dubs.

Just came out of a german showing and can't get into specifics until embargo drops, but it seems like half the audience thought it was great & better than 7, half thought it was merely OK and disappointing. I'm part of the second camp. Absolutely mindblowing action in the last 40 minutes, quite boring and confused until then - biggest problem are without a doubt the really weak characters.

Can you comment on the underlined? How can you tell this at all? And an you tell us the basis for why you think half thought ti was great and half thought it was ok/disappointing?

SilentRob

When you say german showing that probably also includes german dubbed right?
Just asking because from my own experience a bad (or just not a real good) dub can go a long way to make characters look way worse than they are in the original.
I for example really don't think i would have liked Kylo Ren in the german dubbed version (to which i listened a bit on the blu ray version) since it is such a thin line with him between a good delivery and something that sounds just too emo.
But i'm just overall not a big fan of dubs.

Luckily press previews generally use the original voices, as was the case here. It was the original version.

Are you not a huge fan of the OT?

I like them but I didn't grow up with them. So I don't really count myself among the big Star Wars fans, even though I read a few books, played a whole lot of SW games and of course watched all of the movies. There's obviously a difference between people like me - who enjoy the universe but don't think the OT is the be-all end- all for the franchise - and the people who grew up with them and hold the OT in a very special place in their heart.

Can you comment on the underlined? How can you tell this at all? And an you tell us the basis for why you think half thought ti was great and half thought it was ok/disappointing?

Talked with quite a few and general chatter in the Foyer after the movie. Comparisons with 7 were running rampant. Obviously not a mathematically correct statistic ;) Entirely possible it's actually 1/4 to 3/4 or other way around.

Luckily press previews generally use the original voices, as was the case here. It was the original version.

I like them but I didn't grow up with them. So I don't really count myself among the big Star Wars fans, even though I read a few books, played a whole lot of SW games and of course watched all of the movies. There's obviously a difference between people like me - who enjoy the universe but don't think the OT is the be-all end- all for the franchise - and the people who grew up with them and hold the OT in a very special place in their heart.

Talked with quite a few and general chatter in the Foyer after the movie. Comparisons with 7 were running rampant. Obviously not a mathematically correct statistic ;) Entirely possible it's actually 1/4 to 3/4 or other way around.

Gotcha, I assumed there had to have been talking in there.

OmegaFax

Does anyone have a link to that Rogue One poster where all the characters are photoshopped as aliens from John Carpenter's "They Live"?

These poster photoshops are really great.

Timu

The Rottentomatoes score for this is going to be interesting tomorrow.

For some, myself included, it doesn't really ruin the experience.
Same here for me as well.

The Rottentomatoes score for this is going to be interesting tomorrow.

Not quite as much as the Metacritic will be, I think. For comparison's sake, it was 81 for TFA (with the RT aggregate settling at 92%).

Am generally curious as to where both will fall for R1, given the impressions we have at the moment.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Why do people insist on spoiling themselves so close to release? I'll never understand it

It's a way for some people to temper expectations so they don't spend the whole movie hoping for something that won't show up and they can just kick back and enjoy the ride.

It's a similar concept behind "I enjoyed it more the second time i saw it"

sphagnum

Banned
Why do people insist on spoiling themselves so close to release? I'll never understand it

It's fun.

It's a way for some people to temper expectations so they don't spend the whole movie hoping for something that won't show up and they can just kick back and enjoy the ride.

That too. I'm very glad that I spoiled myself for TFA because I would have been disappointed if I'd seen it blind. I had a lot of time to think over some of the choices they made beforehand and that made it better.

Maybe.

Seriously, I can spoil the whole movie for you in 16 hours if you want to. But not before :p

*stares at watch* We'll be waiting!

Timu

Not quite as much as the Metacritic will be, I think. For comparison's sake, it was 81 for TFA (with the RT aggregate settling at 92%).

Am generally curious as to where both will fall for R1, given the impressions we have at the moment.
Oh god, metacritic is going to be worse, it may fall in the 60-70 range, we'll see, hope I'm wrong.

Personally I'm going in not expecting to see a saber used, if it happens then it's a pleasant surprise.

Personally I'm going in not expecting to see a saber used, if it happens then it's a pleasant surprise.

I'm going in expecting one and if it doesn't happen I will be both impressed they didn't go down that road but crushed they didn't go down that road.

I need Vader redemption after the prequels, dammit.

Jocund

Yeah, like, he doesn't even have to have it out that long. Vader could just whip it out real quick to vanquish a couple rebels. That's not too much to ask, right?

Come on, I just need a taste. One hit to last until Episode VIII.

Quick

Banned
Yeah, like, he doesn't even have to have it out that long. Vader could just whip it out real quick to vanquish a couple rebels. That's not too much to ask, right?

Come on, I just need a taste. One hit to last until Episode VIII.

Me reading this post initially without context.

9de0d6f0-9946-0134-192a-060e3e89e053.gif

Surfinn

It's fun.

That too. I'm very glad that I spoiled myself for TFA because I would have been disappointed if I'd seen it blind. I had a lot of time to think over some of the choices they made beforehand and that made it better.

*stares at watch* We'll be waiting!

I don't really get how you could be disappointed seeing it in the film and not on paper.. that's bizarre to me.

I honestly don't get the obsession with spoilers either. For me, it's the opposite.. totally ruins the fun. I was spoiled on Han's death before I went in and it crushed me. Months before the film even came out. Sure, you're gunna see it again eventually but there's something really memorable and special about that first experience as it was designed to be seen by the director.

The fun is about not knowing and experiencing. Films aren't designed for people to know everything beforehand so I don't get where any of the "fun" comes from.

It wouldn't irk me as much if the spoiler obsession didn't negatively impact other people but it does. It's kind of a shame.

But to each their own.

I don't really get how you could be disappointed seeing it in the film and not on paper.. that's bizarre to me.

I honestly don't get the obsession with spoilers either. For me, it's the opposite.. totally ruins the fun. I was spoiled on Han's death before I went in and it crushed me. Months before the film even came out. Sure, you're gunna see it again eventually but there's something really memorable and special about that first experience as it was designed to be seen by the director.

The fun is about not knowing and experiencing. Films aren't designed for people to know everything beforehand so I don't get where any of the "fun" comes from.

It wouldn't irk me as much if the spoiler obsession didn't negatively impact other people but it does. It's kind of a shame.

But to each their own.

I would have been pretty bummed going into TFA, seeing Hamill making appearances, and then boom last scene only. That'd have soured me on the whole film. Knowing what to expect in that regard helped a ton.

Timu

Wow, really? I didn't even know about that months in advance, it was until the same month the movie was out I found out about Han's death after watching it.

I read a few of the early spoilers for TFA - I would have bet my house on Han dying anyway - but when 95% of the film leaked, I started to avoid them. I don't mind knowing a few bits and pieces but I wouldn't like to know how the entire film's going to pan out. That would ruin it for me. I've quit the spoiler thread now as no doubt the entire film will be out in the open soon.

Surfinn

I would have been pretty bummed going into TFA, seeing Hamill making appearances, and then boom last scene only. That'd have soured me on the whole film. Knowing what to expect in that regard helped a ton.

Well of course, anything that's negative about the film is going to be easier to deal with knowing before hand but on the flip side of that you're dampering the reward of being surprised by the great stuff. Double edged sword there.

I'd personally rather take the good with the bad and be surprised. For me that's the entire enjoyment of seeing a film -- experiencing it fresh, as it was designed to be viewed.

That said, I don't mind watching official trailers and seeing/hearing tidbits here and there.

Wow, really? I didn't even know about that months in advance, it was until the same month the movie was out I found out about Han's death after watching it.

Yeah, I accidentally read it. Just two words.. was devastated because I didn't know any spoilers at all before that.

That's the fucked up part. A lot of people who don't want to be spoiled get shit ruined for them because of fans feverishly ripping through the internet to uncover all they can.

I'm really failing to see the fun in that.

I read a few of the early spoilers for TFA - I would have bet my house on Han dying anyway - but when 95% of the film leaked, I started to avoid them. I don't mind knowing a few bits and pieces but I wouldn't like to know how the entire film's going to pan out. That would ruin it for me. I've quit the spoiler thread now as no doubt the entire film will be out in the open soon.

On the other end of the spectrum, if I don't go into the theater on Friday knowing everything that happens in this movie, I'm gonna be disappointed. Someone point me in the direction of all accurate spoilers.

Cheebo

Banned
On the other end of the spectrum, if I don't go into the theater on Friday knowing everything that happens in this movie, I'm gonna be disappointed. Someone point me in the direction of all accurate spoilers.
Seeing how the movie actually comes out Thursday the whole plot will be online easily by Friday.

Zereta

It's not just about the script. Direction can make or break characters in a film.

Yes, but if the material isn't in the script, you're grasping at nothing to find ways to make the character interesting.

If you look at the OT, those characters weren't necessarily acted well, but we like them because they were written well and given enough to work with that the audience can buy into that.

Surfinn

Yes, but if the material isn't in the script, you're grasping at nothing to find ways to make the character interesting.

If you look at the OT, those characters weren't necessarily acted well, but we like them because they were written well and given enough to work with that the audience can buy into that.

Right and I'm not blaming him for Godzilla, just pointing out that it's not just about a good script. I was speaking generally.

sphagnum

Banned

I would have been disappointed if I went I blind because the plot of TFA is not what I would have wanted it to be. Following the leaks allowed me to acclimate myself to it.

Gloam

I liked it.
I'm not a big SW guy, only seen EpIV and VII before this, so that perhaps colours my enjoyment of Rogue One, because a lot of the stuff is novel to me. The action sequences were good, particularly the stuff with Donnie Yen. I will say that I'd struggle to name any of the characters if put on the spot, I thought the characterization was a little poor but the spectacle and whiz bang of it all makes up for a weak cast of characters (portrayed by some great actors.)

Surfinn

I would have been disappointed if I went I blind because the plot of TFA is not what I would have wanted it to be. Following the leaks allowed me to acclimate myself to it.

For me though that first time experience of being surprised and watching everything unfold as a film is something you can't get back. You're always gunna be able to rewatch the movie as many times as you want and "acclimate" yourself to your hearts content. I saw TFA 7 times in theaters. Two ore three were acclimation, the rest were out of pure joy.

I'd rather have that memorable first experience and let the rest fall in place. I still remember my shock of learning Ren was Han's son, for example. Gasping with the audience was pretty cool. Those experiences don't exist with prior knowledge.

SilentRob

Is your GAF username so well known that you're risking something by discussing details?

I mean, it wouldn't be hard to figure out but I don't see how it matters. I signed the NDA and I won't break it because that's not what you do in this business? They specifically allowed short tweets and posts on social media so that's all I got. Sorry, man.

Sal from Making Star Wars posted his thoughts.

The choices and storytelling of this movie are bold and a strong departure from what we’re used to while still maintaining that Star Wars look and feel. The characters are very well done and each one gets to really shine. Wonderfully balanced storytelling that gives everyone their due. The film LOOKS AMAZING. All those sexy shots from the trailers are there and the galaxy is wide and sweeping. There were some very nice music cues that to me fit somewhere right in that spot between Star Wars Rebels and A New Hope. The action is ON FIRE! The actions scenes move and are very well put together.

The Force Awakens was a great movie that brought us back to the familiarity of everything we’ve loved about Star Wars since the beginning. Rogue One breaks the conventions of what Star Wars is and is beautiful for all the opposite reasons. This is not a sweeping opera of destiny and archetypes. This is a story of hope, unity, and courage. A story of what it takes to make a real difference when the entire world is against you. A story that needs to be told and heard in our world now.

Surfinn

Ouch. No mention of the
last 30 minutes though
? Just about every single person who commented said something about how incredible it is.

Thanks for your impressions.

Damn, that's more like it. I wonder why this is so incredibly different from the post in this thread?

EDIT: Oops I misread that, I thought you said FIRST 40 min, my bad.

I liked it.
I'm not a big SW guy, only seen EpIV and VII before this, so that perhaps colours my enjoyment of Rogue One, because a lot of the stuff is novel to me. The action sequences were good, particularly the stuff with Donnie Yen. I will say that I'd struggle to name any of the characters if put on the spot, I thought the characterization was a little poor but the spectacle and whiz bang of it all makes up for a weak cast of characters (portrayed by some great actors.)

I'm curious (and this can be addressed to SilentRob as well): I've no idea if you saw Godzilla (Gareth Edwards' last big blockbuster, for context) but if you did, how might you say it compares with R1?

Gloam

I'm curious (and this can be addressed to SilentRob as well): I've no idea if you saw Godzilla (Gareth Edwards' last big blockbuster, for context) but if you did, how might you say it compares with R1?

Better in that it didn't concentrate too much on exposition or setting up a family drama that wasn't all that entertaining. However, there is a lack of dimension to the characters in R1, or at least I felt that way. I could describe them in broad strokes via a characteristic, but there's little to keep them in my mind.

Damn, that's more like it. I wonder why this is so incredibly different from the post in this thread?

Because both of the posters here are self-admitted casual fans and thus can maintain a bit of objectivity, whereas Sal is very obviously on the other end of the spectrum.

Not saying that fan reviews are totally worthless, but it's telling that the most that review evoked in me was this MST3K bit:

zxOnICo.gif

SilentRob

All those sexy shots from the trailers are there and the galaxy is wide and sweeping.

I forgot to talk about this: There are actually quite a lot of scenes and snippets of dialogue from the trailers missing in the movie. Mostly for the better since I don't think anyone will miss stuff like "You destroyed our hope!" (still a lot of "hope" talk left!) or "Good." "Good." But there were one or two specific scenes I was looking forward to that didn't happen.

Both are shot really, really well but both also suffer from often melodramatic dialogue. Edwards didn't write the movies though, so i don't know if I can fault him for that. Great thing about R1 is that you actually see the action happening (and it's goddamn amazing), even though it still stakes quite a lot of time to really get going in that regard :p

Surfinn

Because both of the posters here are self-admitted casual fans and thus can maintain a bit of objectivity, whereas Sal is very obviously on the other end of the spectrum.

Not saying that fan reviews are totally worthless, but it's telling that the most that review evoked in me was this MST3K bit:

Meh I don't think that makes a whole lot of difference, I'd say there's just as many, if not more, HC fans that dislike TFA than casual fans.

Either way, criticism of the characters is something that I've been fearing and it seems to be creeping its way into impressions.

Better in that it didn't concentrate too much on exposition or setting up a family drama that wasn't all that entertaining. However, there is a lack of dimension to the characters in R1, or at least I felt that way. I could describe them in broad strokes via a characteristic, but there's little to keep them in my mind.

Very interesting, and also kind of a bummer, given the star-studded cast. Hard to imagine that pre-reshoots, it was even worse, going by what I've heard both here and elsewhere.

Both are shot really, really well but both also suffer from often melodramatic dialogue. Edwards didn't write the movies though, so i don't know if I can fault him for that. Great thing about R1 is that you actually see the action happening (and it's goddamn amazing), even though it still stakes quite a lot of time to really get going in that regard :p

Yeah, script was Weitz and Gilroy, at least in terms of dialogue. That said, melodramatic dialogue was certainly an expectation of mine given that it IS a Star Wars (albeit one with a wildly different tone than the rest). Thankfully, so was spectacular cinematography!

Ashhong

Welp, the reactions in this thread made me book my ticket to 70mm IMAX. 55$ for 2. That plus the 7 minute preview of Dunkirk should be amazing.

Worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom