• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPGs and Video Games in general might be the only digital medium that keep Reading relevant

Reading, the skill where one reads letters, words, sentences, is almost extinct in a leisure, passive sense in humanity.

Sound and pictorial reading have become the dominant way to communicate.

While Video games obviously are both sound and visuals. Text base reading is still prevalent in most games.

From menu heaving games like RPGs, to Visual novel games that mimic traditional graphic novel/comic.

Even subtle reading Skill like knowing what acronym like EXP and ATK is a testament to video games reliance to text.

Pronunciation of fictitious character, monster and places and terminologies I believe is more stimulant in gaming than any other digital media.

What are some of your personal favorites words, names and phrases in video games?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Right off the bat, you know this is going to be a memorable post.

Every time I see this face, I know I'll be eating crayons any minute.

iWrmCqS.png

Guilty_AI

Aside from, you know, books

Also, whenever someone says reading is an "antiquated" or "an extinct activity", you're allowed to assume its just that person in particular who doesn't read.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Literacy rates are higher than ever. Almost all books are targetted at women now because men would rather play games and use the internet. That is like a death spiral. Less fiction content for men, less of a good pass time it seems, then less content for men.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Literacy rates are higher than ever. Almost all books are targetted at women now because men would rather play games and use the internet. That is like a death spiral. Less fiction content for men, less of a good pass time it seems, then less content for men.
I think women are the dominant consumers in theater movies, TV, music and books. And consumer spending generally.

Aside from, you know, books

Also, whenever someone says reading is an "antiquated" or "an extinct activity", you're allowed to assume its just that person in particular that doesn't read.

I've published one book and currently working on 5 more novel.

I'm strictly referring to reading as nessassary. Obviously there is reading in other places, I'm acknowledging that video game is just as important to the skill of reading.

Fbh

You just need to get the younger generations with something that appeals to them:
Introducing: Books as a service.
Imagine the concept of a choose your own adventure book, except you only get the 20 pages until your first choice, then, once you have decided on a path and for the low price of $7.99 you get sent the next 20 pages following said path which will continue the story until the next choice.
Read fast and order new choice books frequently to complete the battle pass and unlock exclusive rewards!.

Also introducing: written book skins.
Want to enjoy the Harry Potter saga with an Avengers skin that replaces the words "Harry Potter" with "Tony Stark" and "Voldemort" with "Thanos"?
We've got you covered. Get the Avengers Harry Potter skin books now for only $49.99 (each)

Last edited:
Yes, nobody on earth reads e-books, nobody watches movies and TV shows with subtitles, and nobody looks up lyrics to songs.

Jesus wept.

I'm not speaking in absolute here.
Ebook and tradition book reading are very much niche in the majority of population.

I'm arguing that video games, which are very much not a niche, help prolonge the skill of reading, bringing awareness to it.

nush

Yes, nobody on earth reads e-books, nobody watches movies and TV shows with subtitles, and nobody looks up lyrics to songs.

Jesus wept.

He posted this observation on a text based medium as well...

DaGwaphics

Ebook and tradition book reading are very much niche in the majority of population.

I'm arguing that video games, which are very much not a niche, help prolonge the skill of reading, bringing awareness to it.

I know what you are getting at, I was just trying to be a clown.

It's sad really that more people don't enjoy reading. It's so much more immersive than TV and Film (depending on the book). Time is probably a factor though, I don't read as much as I used to just from lack of time. Where TV and Film can be stacked with tasks, chores, etc. reading requires your focus.

Last edited:

Pelao

With how crappy audio mixes are these days, I watch a lot of new movies with subtitles, so it's definitely still relevant to me there.
Also, I like to watch my foreign movies in their original language with subtitles, so there's that too.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Literacy rates are higher than ever.
Are they?
Is there a per-country rundown of literacy rates? I swear at least half of the emails I get from people at work areproof that literacy rates are actually plummeting.

You just need to get the younger generations with something that appeals to them:
Introducing: Books as a service.
Imagine the concept of a choose your own adventure book, except you only get the 20 pages until your first choice, then, once you have decided on a path and for the low price of $7.99 you get sent the next 20 pages following said path which will continue the story until the next choice.
Read fast and order new choice books frequently to complete the battle pass and unlock exclusive rewards!.

Also introducing: written book skins.
Want to enjoy the Harry Potter saga with an Avengers skin that replaces the words "Harry Potter" with "Tony Stark" and "Voldemort" with "Thanos"?
We've got you covered. Get the Avengers Harry Potter skin books now for only $49.99 (each)
To be frank, “choose your own adventure” books are what got me seriously into reading (and RPGs) after comics in the 80s.
I know I wasn’t alone.

neogaf keeps reading relevant
didnt read GIF

Nobody is working on 5 novels at the same time…stop this nonsense 😂
4bpeqew.gif

Chastten

Banned

Not saying you're wrong but I wonder how true this statement is? Are their any numbers that back-up this claim?

I mean, just talking anecdotally, but I know a lot of people who read, but only a few people who actually read text in their games. Most of my gamer friends never read a single quest or whatever. Meanwhile, pretty much all my female cosplayer friends are heavily into the ACOTAR books

OuterLimits

Perhaps some truth to this, but there certainly isn't a shortage of new releases in the horror/science fiction categories which I imagine appeal more to men than women.

While this post is complete hyperbole, my Son struggled to engage with reading in early years in school, and I got him to read pretty much exclusively via video games, all it took was for me to refuse to read the menus and in game text for him anymore and all of a sudden he could read, he literally skipped all of the reading stages kids usually go through.

Wildebeest

Perhaps some truth to this, but there certainly isn't a shortage of new releases in the horror/science fiction categories which I imagine appeal more to men than women.
Those genres are not anywhere near as "male dominated" as romance is "female dominated". If there is anything that stands out as a genre that appeals to men today, it is nonfiction. I was a big fiction reader when I was a teen, but today I find most new fiction to be annoying bullshit, especially movies, and would rather listen to a podcast or watch a documentary.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
OP had me until grammatical errors, now I'm done reading forever out of anger and will complete this response in a way befitting of my new chosen path fusisiwswwsfgf rewiasudufudeerrrrf dfjfjfirjesjsjfrreeeeeeeeeee sjsdkeid

Uhuh ever noticed why RPGs all have voice acting now? Used to be you had to read but Baldur's Gate 3 is an audiobook.

The ability to read long texts is a disappearing art.

StereoVsn

I've published one book and currently working on 5 more novel.

I'm strictly referring to reading as nessassary. Obviously there is reading in other places, I'm acknowledging that video game is just as important to the skill of reading.
Umm…. I can tell you that at least at my workplace, reading, reading comprehension, and writing are essential skills. I easily go through 200 pages of documentation a week, numerous in depth technical articles and hundreds of emails a day, and write 30-50 page documents myself at constant basis.

For most professional occupations these are essential skills. Which is why if you look at long term earnings, English and English Lit majors (at least in US) can catch up to technical majors in earnings.

StereoVsn

Those genres are not anywhere near as "male dominated" as romance is "female dominated". If there is anything that stands out as a genre that appeals to men today, it is nonfiction. I was a big fiction reader when I was a teen, but today I find most new fiction to be annoying bullshit, especially movies, and would rather listen to a podcast or watch a documentary.
Yep, and in any case, there are a ton of both fiction, and non fiction books including sci-fi and fantasy that are oriented not just at female demographics.

Edit: To be fair, I am sure book sales aren’t at the highest ever, but that isn’t indicative that people don’t read. We have web novels, freely published books, sub services like the one from Amazon and a lot more.

And of course in general folks have a lot more ways to spend their time than ever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom