• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 - Some say Generation 5 is the worst...

IEHOlrt.jpg

However, I disagree

So we're only a few days away from Pokemon Sun and Moon's release, and after finishing White, Soul Silver, Y, and Platinum, I went back to the last DS Pokemon game, Black 2/ White 2. Now the interesting thing about B2W2 is that, these aren't exactly third versions that are the typical expanded rerelease Game Freak has put out since Pokemon Yellow. Instead, Game Freak decided to make direct sequels to Black and White, and release another pair of games instead of just one. And y'know what? This actually works really well as these games are completely different from their predecessor.

As these games are built off of Black and White, gameplay wise they're pretty much the same. But Game Freak has changed things, with updated Pokemon availability, Quality of life improvements, new side content, and a host of other cool things. Let's start with the updated Pokedex, we now have around 300 Pokemon available to Unova. While Black and White maintained that you would only catch new Gen 5 Pokemon before the post game, B2W2 make Pokemon from every generation available. You'll be able to catch old favourites like Psyduck, Mareep, and Riolu pretty early on which is pretty awesome. On top of that B2W2 have improved the Pokedex itself, creating a sort of new mode called Habitat mode. Habitat mode lists all of the Pokemon available in a given location by location. You'll be able to easily keep track of what you have and haven't caught in a given area, and you'll receive a stamp for the area once you've seen and caught everything. If you're like me and really need checklists for somethings, this is extremely helpful. New quality of life improvements include being able to add specific bag pokects, options and other things to the quick select menu. Annoyed that you have to go back your bag to get repels? No worries, as soon as one is done, the game will ask if you want to use another.

The side content is also pretty awesome. Black and White only had musicals and the Battle Subway, but this game added Pokestar Studios. In here, you'll have to follow a script and film movies. You'll gain accolades and fans who will give you items if your movie is received well and is a top grosser. Some of the movies are pretty funny too. The biggest piece of new side content in the game is Pokemon World Tournament. It's here where you'll be able to compete with trainers from every generation of games to see who is the greatest Pokemon Trainer in the series. These trainers include every Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova gym leader along with their champions. But this isn't going to be any cake walk, you're going to have to have proper competitive teams ready if you want to be the best.

There's some neat new mechanics to the game because they're a pair. The addition of memory link allows you transfer data from your Black and White save. Now people in the game will refer to the hero of the last games by the name you gave them, along with other neat surprises. There's also the key system, which adds the addition of easy and challenge mode. Challenge mode adds additional Pokemon to trainers along making them much tougher by adding a couple of more levels to them. Even Pokemon lineups may be different. Though this part is very flawed as easy and challenge mode are exclusives to one game each, and on top of that both are only unlockable after beating the Champion which is a bummer if you wanted to start with challenge mode from the beginning.

Visually, the games look just stellar. Beautiful spritework and enviromental design. The seasonal effects are in full force, you'll see the crisp red and golden brown autumn leaves all around in Fall, cherry blossoms in Spring and cute little snow flakes in Winter. B2W2 have also added a bunch of new cities, towns and areas to the game that have greatly expanded on the Unova Region. You'll also be traveling through the Unova region in a different path from the first pair of games, as you'll be starting from the very south west corner of the map and you'll only have access to the earlier route from BW post game.

Story wise, I quite enjoyed it. You start off as a new trainer once again, and your rival and you get caught up in an adventure to fight against the remnants of Team Plasma. This game takes place two years after BW, and has echoes of Gold and Silver, so you'll be traveling Unova where people have grown older and changed. Cheren, the rival from BW is now a gym leader and has matured quite a bit, as has Bianca who has become a researcher. Both still play a major role in the story. But just because this is the same region, it doesn't mean you'll only be seeing old faces. There are also two new gym leaders, Roxie, the Poison type trainer of the Virbank gym and Marlon the Water type trainer of Humilau City. Team Plasma itself has split into two, ex-Team Plasma who still follows N's wishes to make a peaceful world where Pokemon can be free, and Neo Team Plasma who follows Ghetsis' wishes to conquer Unova.

Character wise, the old characters make for good mentors. The rival is great, as he's more of a partner who tries to push you to be better. He's not even interested in the gym challenge, again with the echoes of Gold and Silver, he's interested in defeating Team Plasma and rescuing his sister's Pokemon. And once that's done, he actually peaces out. The new team leader for Plasma is Colress, a scientist who isn't really that interested in Plasma's ideals and just wants to see the power that blooms between Trainer and Pokemon.

There's also a lot of great new music tracks. Every single gym in the region has their own remixed theme that fits the theme of the gym. Lots of cool route tracks, and probably one of my favourite battle themes with Colress.

Route 19 (Fall) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgY2zyYv7vY
Rival Battle theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKqRMfquvgY
Colress Battle theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-6JV-M8oxE
Virbank Gym - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNsUdqCzNa8
Nimbasa Gym - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li7BJdF_pjs
Champion theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvHVAk2DjS8

Altogether, Black 2 and White 2 are an excellent package of games. They are the perfect way to close off the DS generation of Pokemon games, and is ultimately a celebration of the series itself. I highly recommend playing them.

Zalman

Gen 5 is great, although I will say I think I prefer BW1 over BW2. BW1 had more memorable moments for me, and
I loved N's Castle.
And Hugh was annoying in BW2.

By the way, Gen 3 is the worst. :)

BLCKATK

Yeah, I love Gen 5 as well. I really enjoyed the Pokemon introduced in Gen 5. Volcarona actually became my favorite. He was the "Ace" on my team and I used an entire team of bug type Pokemon for fun. It was the most immersed I had been in the series in quite sometime!

Mr-Joker

Banned
I loved Gen 5 and what it offered and I felt that it did a great job in acting as a soft reboot, putting the spotlight on the new Pokémon and made the old Pokémon feel new and exciting in the sequel.

It was the last truly great Pokémon game before Game Freak shifted over to the disappointment that was gen 6 a generation so bad that it didn't even get a third game.

wmlk

Go Ichinose made a huge contribution to this OST. I loved the soundtrack so much, and then I go to see the song credits and of course his name popped up a lot. It made so much sense. His departure in the next two games in the series was really evident.

Aspertia City
Marine Tube

Two of my favourites. One has that Pokémon sound for me that Ichinose's defined, and the other is some of the exciting, experimental stuff he did in the game that worked out really well.

Sterok

Best games in the series. Great campaign with a strong variety of Pokemon, a perfect level curve, the sweet Join Avenue, and a wonderful postgame that manages to be even more memorable than the great Battle Frontier. It's still a tad too easy, and Challenge mode being locked off was dumb, but aside from that this is Pokemon's magnum opus as far as singleplayer is concerned.

Gen 5 is one of the best imo, it just has the ugliest starters. Its like they purposely went out of their way to make the ugliest starters ever.

FZZ

Banned
Most people who love the series prefer Gen 5 because of the story elements and the enhancements it brought

Imo it's the best gen we ever had

Fuck gen 6

For me, B/W1 had the least interesting post game experience. The sequels were much better in that regard, I don't think they're the worst gen at all.

Syntsui

Skipped this generation, now it's too late to try it without burning myself or missing features from 6th Gen :|

The best generation IMO, after the shit we got in Generation VI. Black had the best story in the Pokemon series, followed by an interesting region that actually manages to feel like you're a traversing a world (even if it's linear). Black 2 took that further and had one of the best post-game content (as well as side content in general).

Gen VI really left a sour taste in my mouth.

Hugh is the worst rival in the game (Well apart from the abominations in X/Y), but other than that Gen 5 has some damn fine games. The only other thisng that could have possibly made them better is if they sprinkled a few other region's Pokémon into the first game to help with diversity as like Red/Blue it got a little annoying fighting a million Woobat's

Mr-Joker

Banned
Gen VI really left a sour taste in my mouth.

Same I was excited by what Gen 6 will offer as I was expecting a story on a similar level as gen 5 combined with new cross gen evolution especially of Pokémon from gen 4 and 5.

What we got instead was a total regression of the series with the most blandest region, boring NPC, a pitiful 1 new cross evolution which resulted with a low count of new Pokémon.

The worse part is that gen 6 was left unfinished as Game Freak jumped straight into gen 7.

Crayolan

You didn't give enough credit to the gym design in BW2, the new Unova gyms blow everything else out of the water, and it's not even close. Cocoon mazes, flashy catwalks, giant fighting dragon statues...all the crazy designs combined with the unique music and tougher gym battles made getting to a new gym exciting like in no other pokemon game.

I don't think any new pokemon game is gonna be able to even approach BW2 for me until they can match its gym designs again.

I loved it!

More than enough pokemon I really like to fill up my team.
Story was actually somewhat nuanced and interesting.
Pleasing graphics, everything felt more organic than earlier. Nice locales.
Boulders would for the first time stay down after you'd moved them.
Some great optional content like going back to catch legendaries (ofc), PWT etc.

There was some weird stuff, as there usually is with every new generation, I'll admit.
Zekrom and Reshiram wasn't that great, and I am still not sure if they represent good or evil or whatever. But I liked Victini and Shaymin. Some other less than great pokemon, too, even though it baffles me how someone can bash Garbodor and not Muk...

All in all, I found Gen V VERY refreshing.

Mr-Joker

Banned
You didn't give enough credit to the gym design in BW2, the new Unova gyms blow everything else out of the water, and it's not even close. Cocoon mazes, flashy catwalks, giant fighting dragon statues...all the crazy designs combined with the unique music and tougher gym battles made getting to a new gym exciting like in no other pokemon game.

I don't think any new pokemon game is gonna be able to even approach BW2 for me until they can match its gym designs again.

Yeah after their mediocre attempt with the gen 6 gym leader, it just felt like a regression once again with gym leader barely standing out.

There was some weird stuff, as there usually is with every new generation, I'll admit.
Zekrom and Reshiram wasn't that great, and I am still not sure if they represent good or evil or whatever.

They represented truth and ideal.

Red Fire

BW1 had the best story, BW2 had some cool features. I like the games. I also like the fact that BW2 are continuing the story.

But i gotta say gen 5 had by far the worst designs. Now don't get me wrong, i like quite a lot of gen 5 mons, but as a whole the designs sucked compared to other gens. Well, in my opinion at least.

Music was really great. Some touching pieces.

Region was meh though.

Also, some of the levels required to evolve pokemon were ridiculous.

In BW2 I really liked that one building where you could help to build more and more stores and level them up and buy things you couldn't get anywhere else.

RRockman

Banned
Gen 5 was brilliant. The only thing it was missing was that there is no Hilbert/Black or Hilda/White Battle. Hearing everyone talk about how cool they were was hyping me up to no end until you get to their house and they aren't there. The excuse given is rage inducing because they are said to be looking for N but N has been in Unova for almost the whole freaking game. Admittedly It would be hilarious
if they showed up in sun and moon, only to be told by Colress he's back in Unova

Game Freak also surprised the crap out of me with Yancy and Curtis. I was never expecting any sort of romance in a pokemon game and it wasn't bad. (Unless you had no idea this side quest existed and you beat the game already, so you are grinding messages like mad to see how it develops, like how I did. <_<.) I do wish that if they were going to go that route that the character could play a larger role in the story. It would be wicked cool if you were captured or in trouble (like when
Ghetsis was about to impale you with a bunch of icicles for example
) and they show up to bail you out and do a double battle or something.

Pokemon Black and White, in my opinion, had the best story in the franchise so far. It made me actually think about the oft-talked about discussion of whether or not Pokemon training is a bit like slavery. Cheren and Bianca are pretty relatable, and N was a pretty tragic character.

B2W2 was slightly weaker, but I did it nonetheless.

Infinite

Gen 5 had the best campaign as well as introducing a lot of metagame defining shit to competitive battles. I just thought a lot of the Pokemon were wack
Pokemon Black and White, in my opinion, had the best story in the franchise so far. It made me actually think about the oft-talked about discussion of whether or not Pokemon training is a bit like slavery. Cheren and Bianca are pretty relatable, and N was a pretty tragic character.

B2W2 was slightly weaker, but I did it nonetheless.
The funny thing about that is the story didn't really have a good answer for that lol

Nightbird

OP, once again you come around with an amazing LttP, and once again you forget something that made the game you are covering great xD

This time it's the medals. BW2 had its own achievement system that has never returned after that (I know it's in the PGL, but who uses this to check on his achievements?)

The only generation that I never bothered to "finish." Beat the story in Black and then quit. I'll probably go back over the next few days and try to catch Kyurem or whatever and the Genies. I hear Black 2 is better but I disliked Black 1 so much that I never bothered to get it.

Pokemon World Tournament is one of the best features the series has ever had. Nearly every single Gym leader and champion, all with solid teams, and can be fought singles, doubles, or triples. Crazy.

And it's never coming back because that's how Game Freak is.

Gen 5 had the best campaign as well as introducing a lot of metagame defining shit to competitive battles. I just thought a lot of the Pokemon were wack

The funny thing about that is the story didn't really have a good answer for that lol

It wouldn't surprise me if that was done on purpose to leave the answer up to the player.

Arguable best gen with two sets of games that offer a more diverse experience within the same world, 1 being a more focused and tighter adventure that puts new pokemon at the forefront at last, 2 offers a follow up that addresses some people's issues with only new pokemon (delivers a diverse dex with plenty of varied pokemon, some great ones early on to boot), bigger map expanding the "pokeball" shape of Unova, much more post game content and following up on previous plot points.

On top of that Gen 5 is basically Gen 4's improvements without the incredibly fatal flaw that was its piss poor performance and pace, Gen 5 is soooo much snappier.

Personally I prefer 1 to 2 here but I like that 2 offers something actually different to 1, that said the plot pacing is pretty naff and they pushed some of the new gen 5 crew a bit too far back so that they are even less usable than I'd like (Golurk at Victory Road? you villains!)

Top tier Pokemon OSTs as well.

Still internally debating between Black 2 & White 2 or HeartGold & SoulSilver as my favorite Pokemon games.

Best Pokemon designs, best music, best route/town/city designs...
But man, those starters were straight ass. Very promising base form designs, but they all just went to shit by their final evolution. Such a shame. =/

OP, once again you come around with an amazing LttP, and once again you forget something that made the game you are covering great xD

This time it's the medals. BW2 had its own achievement system that has never returned after that (I know it's in the PGL, but who uses this to check on his achievements?)
Oh man, I had the medals in my head and was going to make some comments about how it was great they added an in game achievements system but it slipped my mind. Was also going to complain about how their implemention for gen 6 was really lame too. My bad.

Strimei

B2W2 are my favorite pokemon games, period. I remember even actually having difficulty(!) at times against some of the fights. I would have loved to try out the whole hard mode thing, but a pity they decided to make it so damn wonky to work out in the first place.

Espada

BW1 was mediocre with some outright shitty parts sprinkled about, but BW2 was really nice. The improvements made over BW1 in addition to the brand new stuff introduced (including the major changes to the map and general pacing of the game) were phenomenal. BW2 is definitely in the Top 5 Pokemon games, without a doubt.

Some of my issues (with BW1) were stupid things like the excessive amount of slow + frail pokemon, pokemon with evolution levels so inflated they were not feasible for campaign runs, and the story/characters in BW1 rubbing me the wrong way. I do not like N.

True Fire

Gen V is only the worst because of the Pokemon cycle. Gen VI will be the worst starting in 4 days (and it's totally justified because Gen VI was really soulless and gross).

BW1 was mediocre with some outright shitty parts sprinkled about, but BW2 was really nice. The improvements made over BW1 in addition to the brand new stuff introduced (including the major changes to the map and general pacing of the game) were phenomenal. BW2 is definitely in the Top 5 Pokemon games, without a doubt.

Some of my issues (with BW1) were stupid things like the excessive amount of slow + frail pokemon, pokemon with evolution levels so inflated they were not feasible for campaign runs, and the story/characters in BW1 rubbing me the wrong way. I do not like N.

Speaking of characters, that would probably be one of the things about BW/B2W2 that I don't like. Cheren was uninteresting and just felt like an asshole, Bianca was a little too "ditsy" for my liking, Hugh was waaaaay too over the top about his hatred for Team Plasma, N didn't really... feel like he belonged in a Pokemon narrative, etc.. Some characters were fine, and the plot was... fairly interesting, but those that I mentioned. Eh.

Crayolan

Gen V is only the worst because of the Pokemon cycle. Gen VI will be the worst starting in 4 days (and it's totally justified because Gen VI was really soulless and gross).

nah, gen 6 was the worst the moment they announced Sun and Moon, confirming no Z to redeem it.

brinstar

I prefer BW1 to BW2 in terms of the general adventure-- BW2 felt like it had less to say in comparison, but man these two Gen 5 sets of games represent the peak of the series for me. I hope Sun/Moon can live up to them, because X/Y coming off this release was very disappointing.

People were pretty vocally critical of Gen 6 from the get-go when it came out how barebones the dex was.

The "Zelda Cycle" argument is BS. Some people (including myself) have already considered Gen VI the worst of the series.

PK Gaming

Pokemon BW2 is without a doubt one of the best Pokemon games in the franchise

Solid in-game, amazing postgame, filled with so many little secrets and goodies that'll make you smile (Like fixing up Gen V's major fuck up of not giving you Zorua in-game), pokestar studios, the fact the characters actually grow, memory link... It's just fantastic on all fronts.

hqdefault.jpg

It even has a goddamn dating sim

Mr-Joker

Banned

There's no such thing as the "Pokémon cycle" and as stated before people were pretty vocal about how disappointing gen 6 were not long after it was discovered that the Pokémon count was low and it continued to get worse as more of the game was uncovered.

In fact in my eyes Gen 6 is a disappointment because it had some potential that "Pokémon Z" could have fixed had it existed but alas it lived and died with X and Y.

BW2 are fine games, especially challenge mode. I greatly appreciate that they brought back the older Pokémon because I find most Gen 5 Pokémon abhorrent.

XY at least have better designs but are poorer games than BW2.

New Pokemon Only was a great idea in my opinion. After so many games, I needed that to keep the games fresh!

Sadly, BW1 wasn't really fresh in any other way. What made matters worse was that the new Pokemon designs were... not great. Every Pokemon just seemed like a retread of an old design, and not necessarily improved (Geodude, Zubat, Ponyta, Meowth, Rattata, a Magikarp that doesn't evolve, and finally Pidgey's worst incarnation ever). The designs that were actually original were also hit-and-miss. I hear a lot of complaints about Vanillish, but really, the problem wasn't the few awful designs; it was the low number of GREAT designs.

I have more negative feelings towards Gen 3 in general, but I'm not going to defend Gen 5 too much. BW1 Unova is easily the most forgettable region in the entire series. BW2 helped a lot, but not enough.

Happy to see after the woeful Gen 6 that Sun/Moon are willing to change things and focus on new designs!

Top Bottom