• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP Star Trek: The Next Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeletron

I've been rewatching TNG with a friend lately after finally making it through the original series and we just got to the episode "Sarek" in Season 3. Holy damn, I forgot how amazing Patrick Stewart is in that scene.

It helps that the writers are starting to understand who they're dealing with and giving the cast opportunities to show their strengths. The whole crew has hit their stride during this season and everyone's really settled into their characters but Stewart elevates the atmosphere of the entire show. Is there any more impressive display of acting chops in all of Star Trek than in this two minute breakdown after Picard mind melds with Sarek? The dude goes through such an unbelievable range of emotion. It's almost bizarre to see such a performance in Star Trek...I mean, it's not Macbeth. But...there it is.

https://youtu.be/MGd1z2OhHXA?t=1m16s (warning: Patrick Stewart shouting "noooooo")

What are some of your favorite moments?

kyser73

OP you're correct on saying it isn't Macbeth.

It's King Lear. That performance is Stewart pulling from the madness on the moor scenes.

Still my fave Enterprise captain.

Skeletron

OP you're correct on saying it isn't Macbeth.

It's King Lear. That performance is Stewart pulling from the madness on the moor scenes.

Still my fave Enterprise captain.
Right! Thanks, it's been a while but I've been in the mood for some Shakespeare. I seem to recall Macbeth going a little nuts as well.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Season 3-5 are the golden years. 6 and 7 had their highlights, never as bad overall as Season 1 and 2 though.

One of the strangest episodes had to be the one where Wesley was facing the death sentence for crashing into the garden on that Bohemian planet. Strange because Picard and the whole crew were totally baffled by "God" and seemed oblivious of the concept as if the general idea of a deity was alien to them.

Mossybrew

This is a timely thread for me. I haven't watched TNG since the original airings, and at that I was never a diehard fan and certainly missed a lot of them. So a couple months ago I'm looking on Netflix for a show to fall asleep to as I like to do, and I started with Season 3. Before you know it it's having the opposite effect, keeping me awake and interested. So I've still been watching an episode in bed each night and am about halfway through season 5. It's amazing how well the show stands up over time in terms of storytelling and characters. At this rate I'll be on to Deep Space Nine in a couple months.

Skeletron

Damn...so good.

I gotta say, watching this show again for the first time in HD on a modern TV is stunning. I can see the wrinkles on Picard's forehead.

and Troi in that blue Season 3 dress was like
200w.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom