• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 3080 crew

Sleepwalker

I have a 4080 on my main PC but a 2080s on my wifes and it still runs pretty well, pretty much can run anything you throw at it with optimized settings and dlss.

The 3080 still has long legs.

Rickyiez

3080 Ti here since launch and I'm getting impatient with the performance because of path tracing. 5080 where are youuu

Elysium44

Banned
300 quid m8

'recently extremely expensive' means when it was new, IIRC these were £1000 during Covid. edit - in fact apparently £1500-£2000 was not uncommon during the peak of GPU pricing insanity. Back then even a used GTX 1660 would go for £300.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
3080 is still a dope card. Don’t have any plans on upgrading anything soon. You are not alone OP. 🦾

ahtlas7

I got the RTX 3080 12g version at the height of the price craze and won’t disclose the embarrassing price paid to an Eastern European online store for it but my 2080 died so…

The card has been great. I play 4k, 60fps with most games at high to max settings (I don’t mind minor fps dipping) RTX is spotty but can usually use it to some degree. I had intended to upgrade to a 4090 but screw those Nvidia prices because the 3080 plays my games, runs well with all the Adobe Suite and keeps me happy 2 years running.

Senua

'recently extremely expensive' means when it was new, IIRC these were £1000 during Covid. edit - in fact apparently £1500-£2000 was not uncommon during the peak of GPU pricing insanity. Back then even a used GTX 1660 would go for £300.
I never kept up because it was all so retarded but jesus fucking christ

300 punds? You got scammed. Worth half that price.
Damn I wish I lived in your fantasy land mate. £150 for a 3080 is the dream. It'll come when Nvidia stop being cunts and actually put out some half decent mid range cards

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
300 punds? You got scammed. Worth half that price.

Probably a joking post but in case genuine, £300 is right at the lowest end of what they go for on ebay (non-faulty ones), usually more. I know OP didn't buy on ebay but that's the probably best place to determine the real market price of GPUs.

Kenpachii

Bought a 3080 2-3 years ago, to boot my 3440x1440 screen. Worked great. Had no issue's with v-ram in any title but in the last year didn't really play much newer titles. As the resolution was high and i didn't use my desktop much anymore after getting a steam deck, i decided to move to a gaming laptop as i stay at different places and needed one for work anyway.

A thing i hated however about whole raytracing stuff with the 3080 was that it tanked CPU performance a lot, frame gen kinda cures this and its sad it didn't had framegen with it.

I moved to a gaming laptop with a 4080 in it, which is a 4070 desktop which is about the same as a 3080 performance wise but with framegen. With also moving to 1080p again, and 12gb of v-ram happier then ever, runs everything even with the most demanding RT pathtracing in games.

3080 still is a very good card, its just a shame it doesn't have frame gen, that would have given it far longer legs.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Retired my 3080 to my dedicated emulation PC, Hey..some of those shaders at 4K are seriously bandwidth heavy!.

Don't think I'll change it unless it dies.

Senua

Probably a joking post but in case genuine, £300 is right at the lowest end of what they go for on ebay (non-faulty ones), usually more. I know OP didn't buy on ebay but that's the probably best place to determine the real market price of GPUs.
3060 tis are going for 250 so i'm happy

The Fartist

Gold Member
My EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra is a little beast, runs everything I throw at it @1440p mid-high settings, RT, 65fps+, I wis it had more VRAM, though.

I managed to get a 3080 during the great gpu crisis and was unimpressed from the get go (at least for an ultrawide, high refresh rate set up). It was loud as hell and would heat up my room to unbearable levels when playing long sessions. It would damn near begin to melt with ray tracing on.

I should've waited for the 3090, but at the time I couldn't say no. The shortage had me acting like a crack addict and my beloved 1080 ti just couldn't cut it anymore.

Thank God for the 4090.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

eBay is for retards. No disrespect . But it's the last price I'll ever go to buy a used gpu.. not only it s'more expensive than local market,it's also almost garantueed I am going to get screwedone way or another.

Not to mention the mining cards of the3000 series and below. Just NOooo and big fat one too.

The OP said he has rust on his friggin card ffs

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm still using my rtx 3090. People said that 24gb was a waste for gaming and the 3080 had enough vram to last the generation. Who's laughing now, people from 2020? Mwahaha
dude that 3090 will last you a long time.
The only problem with my 3080 is the stupid 10gb

Elysium44

Banned
3060 tis are going for 250 so i'm happy

I paid £290 for a 3060 non-Ti early in 2023 although that was a new price and was considered cheap at the time.
eBay is for retards. No disrespect . But it's the last price I'll ever go to buy a used gpu.. not only it s'more expensive than local market,it's also almost garantueed I am going to get screwedone way or another.

Not to mention the mining cards of the3000 series and below. Just NOooo and big fat one too.

I wouldn't buy a used GPU at all. ebay completed prices are as good a barometer as anything for what the fair market value is though. And it has quite strong buyer protection, they will almost always side with the buyer in any dispute.

kiphalfton

Why does this scream "Trust me bro"

Have you ever sold anything on eBay? Buyers have so much fucking protection, it's ridiculous.

A seller would have to be stupid to try and pull a fast one. Buyers can file chargebacks on eBay up to like half a year, and all they would have to do is file a "not as described" claim and they'll easily get their money back.

And like the guy above me said, eBay sets the market rate for used stuff. Just because "somebody sells it cheaper locally" doesn't mean anything. Just means the seller is uninformed or they are trying to pull a fast one.

I totally contest your statement you have to be an idiot to buy off eBay, and would say you have to be an idiot to buy locally. You literally have zero recourse if you buy something locally, and the seller fucks you. And not like there aren't people who sell locally who have mined with their cards.

Last edited:
I bought one last year and I'm happy at 1080p. Unleashed its performance with a 14700k, replacing my old 9600k. The Matrix demo plays like a dream now.

Last edited:

Senua

Ebay is safe as houses, you're talking a load of old bobbins mate.

Arun1910

It's a solid card. I use it to run games to my LG C1.

It struggles running 60FPS medium settings 4K in most new titles. wouldn't even bother with Ray Tracing in newer titles. It's much better used for 1440p medium.

Last edited:

yamaci17

4070 is great, its on par with the 3080, but way more efficient, has Frame Gen, and has 2 GB more VRAM :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
frame gen instantly negates the extra 2 gb vram actually

so with frame gen, they still have the similar baseline vram budget from games' perspective

frame gen will usually use around an extra, undocumented, non intentional 1.5-2 gb vram outside from the control of game developers

which once again leaves you around 10 gb of vram budget for baseline game, which 10 gb 3080 has

Top Bottom