• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX Micron Memory

The Fartist

Gold Member
I recently bought an RTX 2070 OC before doing any thorough research (I know) and just read about Micron Memory artifacting. Just wondering how wide spread it is and if any of you fine folks have experienced it. I've looked into it and can't find a straight answer. Some say return it and get one with Samsung memory others say it was just a small batch that had defects. I haven't really put it to the test other than a quick test play of Horizon (not the best game to test with) I was in a rush and now I'm away from my rig to do any RTX testing.

The Fartist

Gold Member
No cards should artifect if you just plug it in and play.
RMA it if otherwise imo.
I ran Horizon for a good five minutes with no problems other than the bad frame rate, I've read that artifacting occurs when the GPU is in full stress load long enough and the temp starts to rise. Just wondering if anyone has done a full session on their Micron RTX card without serious problems. I can't wait to get home and test it for real.

I have had my 2080ti since launch and it's been running fine. The memory thing was a bit blown up I feel as many people were angry at the price so any negative news went viral to paint a picture.

Anyway I'm sure you will be fine, there were problems with the initial batch years back but that should not be am issue now, it would be just bad luck of you got a bad card.

I will say the cards are more sensitive to other issues in the PC. I suffered some lock ups while browsing the net multiple times and I thought it was the card but it turned out to be bad memory configuration (was using 4 sticks when I should have been using 2).

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Srsly get rid of OG 2070
If Samsung memory, it's a good card, it's not my main but bought it back then and it runs fine. But obviously if not heavily discounted it's a stupid buy, when Super version is few bucks more expensive (at least here 12k Reference OG, 13.5k S...not sure what is an exchange but % should be enough)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I ran Horizon for a good five minutes with no problems other than the bad frame rate, I've read that artifacting occurs when the GPU is in full stress load long enough and the temp starts to rise. Just wondering if anyone has done a full session on their Micron RTX card without serious problems. I can't wait to get home and test it for real.

my RTX 2080 that i bought in October 2018 had Micron and started artifacting. Nvidia replaced it and that card also had Micron memory. I've been using it since October 2018 with no issues. It has been overclocked since the day I got it and I play at 1440p 144hz. I've played all sorts of games on it for hundreds maybe thousands of hours. So no, Micron memory doesn't mean it will fail or that it's a bad card. Nvidia use multiple manufacturers just like almost every other company that makes stuff does. Micron memory is still within spec. Sure the Samsung memory might overclock a bit better but it's not with the hassle of going out of your way to find a card with it.

it was likely just an early batch that was faulty. Just use your card, enjoy your games, and if anything happens then get it replaced. you could get a Samsung card and it could also end up faulty.

and in regards to the quote. that's false. for whatever it's worth, the game i was playing when my card started artifacting was Fortnite so it wasn't under full stress or high temps. it happened after 15 minutes of loading up so the GPU wasn't been used that long either. the card was just faulty and it's as simple as that.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
With CyberPunk 2077 coming out in a few days I remembered this thread and I must say my PNY GeForce RTX 2070 XLR8 8GB GDDR6 is pretty nice. I was skeptical (it's PNY after all and having only paid exactly $394.68 USD for it) I was half expecting something to go bad, mainly the Micron memory. Low and behold this thing is a little beast, it handles everything I throw at it pretty goddamn well (RDR2, HZD to name a few) and I'm excited to see how it handles CP2077.

I still wish it had a backplate, though. It just looks kinda jank when I open up my case, but for $400, I can cope.

Anyway, that's my cool story for tonight.

Top Bottom