• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR from LR - Black Canary being cast for Justice League + beyond (Birds of Prey?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
From Latino Review

After releasing the first still and cast for Wonder Woman this week, it looks like Warners is ready to expand their roster of female heroes beyond Gal Godot's Diana. It looks like the way they plan to do that is to bring the Black Canary to the screen and use the character as a launching point for a female-centric team-up movie later on.
Right now, Black Canary is being eyed to make her debut in "Justice League Part 1" or "Justice League Part 2," both to be directed by Zack Snyder for release in 2017 and 2019, respectively. That means casting is heating up for the role.

The character is blonde in the comic books, so it fits that the current frontrunners for the role are blondes Abbey Lee (Mad Max: Fury Road) and Alona Tal (Burn Notice, Supernatural).

Since Warner Bros likes movies with teams of super heroes, the Black Canary plans don't end with her appearance in Justice League. If the character and actress perform to expectation, Black Canary will also be involved with an in-development Birds of Prey movie. The Birds of Prey are a female DC superhero team that originated with Black Canary and Barbra Gordon, the part that Jena Malone is probably playing in "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice."

Regardless if this ends up happening or not, a Birds of Prey movie seems like a rad idea. Both in terms of having more than one female-led movie in the DCEU, but also a full-female team. And hey, how cool would it be if years down the line, Black Canary gets charged with being the leader of the JL?

Also, I demand a song number, goddamnit.

Penguin

Focusing on teams is one way to differ themselves from Marvel, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey

That seems so bizarre. Black Canary? In the JL? She's akin to Daredevil; a street-level character. I mean, you have better choices for a female character in the Justice League; Power Girl with a redesigned costume, Stargirl, Starfire, Ms. Martian, Zatanna, Vixen, Hawkgirl.

I get she was retconned to be a founding member of the team, but on a team with an alien god, an actual demi-god, Batman, space cops with the power to make anything they can imagine, king of the seas, and Cyborg, a lady who can scream in a high-pitch and wield a staff seems drastically underpowered.

anaron

That seems so bizarre. Black Canary? In the JL? She's akin to Daredevil; a street-level character. I mean, you have better choices for a female character in the Justice League; Power Girl with a redesigned costume, Stargirl, Starfire, Ms. Martian, Zatanna, Vixen, Hawkgirl.

I get she was retconned to be a founding member of the team, but on a team with an alien god, an actual demi-god, Batman, space cops with the power to make anything they can imagine, king of the seas, and Cyborg, a lady who can scream in a high-pitch and wield a staff seems drastically underpowered.
Batman is just a dude in a suit and you think she'd be out of place?

Well, you're underselling the Canary Cry a bit, but she's got more of a role in a larger League than as one of the OG 7, you're right. This isn't about casting her as a Leaguer, though, just as being in the movies. She'd be more center stage in Birds of Prey.

Shaanyboi

Banned

She's been a JL member for a long-ass time. She led the team for a while in the comics too. Whether or not she's an actual league member in this movie is uncertain. It could very well be a BvS-style cameo like Flash/Aquaman. But that said, she deserves more credit than you're giving her.

black-canary-justice-league-117420.jpg

I'm now convinced DC is just tossing darts at comics.

How so?

Batman is just a dude in a suit and you think she'd be out of place?

True, but this is the same Batman whose superpower is fucking prep-time. Whose somehow managed to take out the whole Justice League, controlled the OMAC project, prep-times the shit out of Darkseid, and manages to become a New God.

Batman may just be a dude in a suit, but his "superpower" legitimately outclasses everyone in the League. Canary has none of that.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I hope this means Laurel's reign of terror is finally at an end on Arrow.

I wouldn't bet on it. Arrow will probably be done by the time they launch the teamup movie. Heck, it'll probably be almost done by the time Justice League Part 2 comes out. I think Amell said he signed up for 7 years, andI have the feeling that he'll want to move to more film work beyond that.

So I don't think there will be any concerns about character confusion.

Shaanyboi

Banned
True, but this is the same Batman whose superpower is fucking prep-time. Whose somehow managed to take out the whole Justice League, controlled the OMAC project, prep-times the shit out of Darkseid, and manages to become a New God.

Batman may just be a dude in a suit, but his "superpower" legitimately outclasses everyone in the League. Canary has none of that.

...Black Canary has an actual superpower though.

Magwik

Banned
I wouldn't bet on it. Arrow will probably be done by the time they launch the teamup movie. Heck, it'll probably be almost done by the time Justice League Part 2 comes out. I think Amell said he signed up for 7 years, andI have the feeling that he'll want to move to more film work beyond that.

So I don't think there will be any concerns about character confusion.

I honestly can't see Arrow getting a sixth season.
EDIT: Oh lovely this is already a Laurel hate thread

Blader

I wonder if JL1 will be more of a Big 7 lineup (with Cyborg swapped for Martian Manhunter), and then JL2 will have a much bigger cast to deal with a bigger threat? Kind of like the jump from JL to JLU.

She's been a JL member for a long-ass time. She led the team for a while in the comics too. Whether or not she's an actual league member in this movie is uncertain. It could very well be a BvS-style cameo like Flash/Aquaman. But that said, she deserves more credit than you're giving her.

black-canary-justice-league-117420.jpg

How so?

Fair enough. It just feels to me an odd choice to put in JL part 1.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I wonder if JL1 will be more of a Big 7 lineup (with Cyborg swapped for Martian Manhunter), and then JL2 will have a much bigger cast to deal with a bigger threat? Kind of like the jump from JL to JLU.

Well just because it starts with 7 doesn't mean it has to be restricted to 7. That team can get to be pretty damn sizable.

Blader

Why wouldn't it? Ratings are fine (and I think even improving?), the show's a major centerpiece for their brand, and they have Amell locked up for six years anyway.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Yeah, I could easily see The CW using Flash and Arrow to do a backdoor pilot for another DC comic show and then putting Arrow to bed if the rating dips too low. But it's doing well by CW standards right now. But I can't imagine there will be a 10+ season thing going on like Smallville or Supernatural.

...Black Canary has an actual superpower though.

But, has Black Canary taken down a god? The entire Justice League? Hell, has she even had a consistent Rogue's Gallery? I get that she has an actual superpower, but her presence in the DC universe is like C-tier, B-tier at best. To be fair, so has Cyborg until recently as, for some reason, DC is pushing him as a JL member. I guess what I'm trying to say is, she doesn't really appear to fit with the scale Justice League is going for. This is probably me just being super-misguided about her though.

Blader

Yeah, I could easily see The CW using Flash and Arrow to do a backdoor pilot for another DC comic show and then putting Arrow to bed if the rating dips too low. But it's doing well by CW standards right now. But I can't imagine there will be a 10+ season thing going on like Smallville or Supernatural.

Yeah, I could see The CW trying to merge Arrow and Legends into a Justice League-type show further down the road.

Penguin

Female superhero team up movie sounds awesome. Hope the characters they use to form the team are interesting though.

I'm curious as well, I mean Black Canary makes sense, but imagine they would want a named female in there somewhere to draw in some casuals.

And I mean from DC the only 4 that come to mind are.. Catwoman, Batgirl, Harley Quinn and Wonder Woman.

Assume the latter 2 are tied up in their own respective movies (and no real history with the franchise)

Would they do either of the first two?

Kalentan

I still find the whole thing so weird. To have a movie Flash and now a movie Black Canary.

I guess I just sort of wish the whole thing was like how the MCU treated it's show stuff. Granted, some of the 'bad' stuff in the CW shows could be fixed in the movie incarnations.

So pros and cons.

Slayven

People shitting on BC? Not only was she a founder of the JL, but she is one of the few people that can put the Trinity in check

black-canary-reads-the-trinity-117559.png

Folks best recognize.

But, has Black Canary taken down a god? The entire Justice League? Hell, has she even had a consistent Rogue's Gallery? I get that she has an actual superpower, but her presence in the DC universe is like C-tier, B-tier at best. To be fair, so has Cyborg until recently as, for some reason, DC is pushing him as a JL member. I guess what I'm trying to say is, she doesn't really appear to fit with the scale Justice League is going for. This is probably me just being super-misguided about her though.

Misguided for sure. Canary is one of the best martial artists in DC, has a crazy powerful ability, and trains other JLA members in combat on the regular. She's pretty cool in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom