• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Killzone VR hinted at by PSVR Without Parole

Skyfox

I had a PSVR with my PS4 Pro. I sold it when PS5 came out thinking I'd replace it with a PSVR2.

It's been so long that I'd given up on the idea of getting back into VR because I didn't miss it that much.

Killzone VR would definitely be of interest to me though. That or Alyx would convince me.

ShakenG

Surely something like killzone 2 and 3 would be doable on VR right? Those cell processors gave some good games but seriously messed up compatibility for future consoles..

This has my attention anyway, killzone VR has potential if done right.

Fahdis

Please don't butcher my Boy like this. Ret-Con Shadowfall and the ending of 3. For fuck's sake Sony! Make some shit up like some time travelling shadow marshall or some shit to undo this shit and kill off Rico too in the process.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
no brainer. Gaze aiming could become the next benchmark in FPS > mouse and Keyboard.

Gaze aiming makes zero sense. VR is all about immersion and making it feel like you're there, and that includes your physical motions having realistic results in the game. So you aim a gun by actually moving your hands as if you're aiming it, not just by looking at stuff. That has no connection to how anything works in the real world.

Gaze aiming makes zero sense. VR is all about immersion and making it feel like you're there, and that includes your physical motions having realistic results in the game. So you aim a gun by actually moving your hands as if you're aiming it, not just by looking at stuff. That has no connection to how anything works in the real world.
VR is not the real world.

VR is intended to FEEL like an alternate, real world though. Again, it's all about immersion, and what you're suggesting wouldn't be immersive. It kinda sounds like you haven't experienced VR, you don't seem to really understand it.
VR is not the real world. There are tons of 'tricks' Developers need to figure out/develop in order to achieve a successful synergy between the player and technology/medium.

Gaze aming is one of those 'trick' that COULD (as I said early) be a game changer.

You cannot discount (gaze aming) as nonsensical (makes zero sense). Let the actual developers figure out that one.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
VR is not the real world. There are tons of 'tricks' Developers need to figure out/develop in order to achieve a successful synergy between the player and technology/medium.

Gaze aming is one of those 'trick' that COULD (as I said early) be a game changer.

You cannot discount (gaze aming) as nonsensical (makes zero sense). Let the actual developers figure out that one.

It would only work if there's an in-universe explanation, like some futuristic weapon that actually works like that (i.e. one you don't actually hold in your hands). But honestly it sounds like it would be pretty boring and unengaging. Just look at something and hit it every time? Actually aiming in VR is much more immersive and rewarding. I turned off the laser sight when playing RE4VR because it made hitting enemies a matter of just pointing and clicking. Extremely fast and accurate, but not very engaging. Actually having to aim the gun like you would in real life is much more fun.

It would only work if there's an in-universe explanation,
No.
This is not about videogame design/lore.

This is about technology that could improve HCI (Human Computer Interaction)
like some futuristic weapon that actually works like that (i.e. one you don't actually hold in your hands). But honestly it sounds like it would be pretty boring and unengaging.
Without research no one would know.

Just look at something and hit it every time? Actually aiming in VR is much more immersive and rewarding.
Bruh. Bad take.

I turned off the laser sight when playing RE4VR because it made hitting enemies a matter of just pointing and clicking. Extremely fast and accurate, but not very engaging. Actually having to aim the gun like you would in real life is much more fun.
Three Things.
1. Theoretically. Gaze Aming. COULD made you substantially better by default.

a. Some average gamers will kill to be better at competitive gaming FPS.Huge appeal.

b. A.I. will take into consideration this factor = more engaging/challenging and 'fun'. (Which is subjective)

C. Level/Game design will change.

But again, it is going to depend of how successful this technology is implemented. Could change the current paradigm of game design.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No.

Bruh. Bad take.

Three Things.

a. Some average gamers will kill to be better at competitive gaming FPS.Huge appeal.

b. A.I. will take into consideration this factor = more engaging/challenging and 'fun'. (Which is subjective)

But again, it is going to depend of how successful this technology is implemented. Could change the current paradigm of game design.

It would have to change DRAMATICALLY. Gazing at something is so much faster and easier than actually aiming at it, so the difficulty would have to be upped massively for there to be any challenge. Maybe you're right that many online FPS players just want to kill as many opponents as quickly and easily as possible (that's why aimbots exist I suppose), but to me that sounds incredibly unengaging. I want a fair and rewarding challenge.

But again, I feel like you don't quite understand what makes VR work. It's NOT just about HCI, it's about immersion and tricking your brain into feeling like you're really there and actually interacting with the world.

RPSleon

No.

Bruh. Bad take.

Three Things.

Nah id have much more fun with the motion controllers to actually aim a weapon and use my head movement to look around independent to the weapon

It would have to change DRAMATICALLY.
That's for game developers to figure out.
Gazing at something is so much faster and easier than actually aiming at it, so the difficulty would have to be upped massively for there to be any challenge. Maybe you're right that many online FPS players just want to kill as many opponents as quickly and easily as possible (that's why aimbots exist I suppose),
but to me that sounds incredibly unengaging. I want a fair and rewarding challenge.
Narrow minded.

They're tons of things that make something engaging (taking specifically about aiming in FPS).

But again, I feel like you don't quite understand what makes VR work. It's NOT just about HCI, it's about immersion and tricking your brain into feeling like you're really there and actually interacting with the world.
Gaze aiming could dramatically improve immersion and enhance game design/interactivity in so many levels.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's for game developers to figure out.

Narrow minded.

They're tons of things that make something engaging (taking specifically about aiming in FPS).

Gaze aiming could dramatically improve immersion and enhance game design/interactivity in so many levels.

I'm not saying using gaze detection wouldn't work for certain interactions, it could be a great new form of input in some cases. But not for aiming a gun. And I say that as someone with a few years of experience aiming guns (and other things) in VR.

But we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not saying using gaze detection wouldn't work for certain interactions, it could be a great new form of input in some cases. But not for aiming a gun. And I say that as someone with a few years of experience aiming guns (and other things) in VR.

But we'll just have to agree to disagree.
That's why I use the word, COULD. We need to wait and see how devs implement this technology. I mean, the potential is there.

"I know exactly what i want from vr"
mnhO3eo.jpg
LFuYtI3.jpg
7UPb0rb.jpg

RPSleon

Youre so condescending.

The difference here is that i know what it is you are describing, its not some unheard of thing that i cant yet comprehend. Its a simple idea youre talking about.

I wanna move my arms and head in the same way as the character im controlling. Thats the appeal of vr to me, that doesnt make me blind to other possibilities.

I wanna move my arms and head in the same way as the character im controlling. Thats the appeal of vr to me, that doesnt make me blind to other possibilities.
I have been condescending because is so ironic/hypocrite to embrace VR and a the same time reject something like Gaze Aming. VR (especially now) is the medium for experimentation in so many ways. If you are an advocate for VR you should be and advocate for experimentation.

Gaze Aming ≠ 'less movements' It could bring more subtle mechanics in an organic manner, and even enhance the relation between your movement and the character movement.

Romulus

Surely something like killzone 2 and 3 would be doable on VR right? Those cell processors gave some good games but seriously messed up compatibility for future consoles..

This has my attention anyway, killzone VR has potential if done right.

The cell processor did nothing. Guerilla games could have made a similarly priced pc-like console sing. Since it was newer, a ps3 with x86, more Ram and a slightly better gpu/cpu than 360 would have been miles better than a pos cell processor with a gimped gpu and RAM.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
VR is intended to FEEL like an alternate, real world though. Again, it's all about immersion, and what you're suggesting wouldn't be immersive. It kinda sounds like you haven't experienced VR, you don't seem to really understand it.
this, smoke weed and try Tetris effect, then we talk

Last edited:
Have you tried it? It actually works well and feels great. A combination of motion controls and head tracking aiming would be perfect.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Have you tried it? It actually works well and feels great. A combination of motion controls and head tracking aiming would be perfect.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, I'm saying it wouldn't be immersive the way actually aiming a gun using your hands is.

I'm sure you could make a cool experience using gaze aiming, but not in a game where you use more or less traditional weapons like KZ. There I would want to actually aim the guns using my hands.

Shmunter

Obviously the weapons will be detached from gaze and controlled with motion.

The only issue, what of my PSVR gun controller? - will they do a new version or just rely on the bundled hand trackers?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Obviously the weapons will be detached from gaze and controlled with motion.

The only issue, what of my PSVR gun controller? - will they do a new version or just rely on the bundled hand trackers?

Yeah, aiming two-handed guns with two detached VR controllers isn't OPTIMAL (although it works well enough and your brain overcomes the slight disconnect). They could probably make a gun shell that you could slide he controllers into, or even a gun controller that's independently tracked (although that would be more expensive).

Apocryphon

They should give it the same kind of movement as Contractors.

No slow mo shit either. I literally just want Killzone 2 in VR with the Contractors movement.

Do it Sony.

Yeah, aiming two-handed guns with two detached VR controllers isn't OPTIMAL (although it works well enough and your brain overcomes the slight disconnect). They could probably make a gun shell that you could slide he controllers into, or even a gun controller that's independently tracked (although that would be more expensive).
The PSVR gun-peripheral works outstanding.
You don't even need to slide anything in, as it already has two sticks and all buttons.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm not saying it wouldn't work, I'm saying it wouldn't be immersive the way actually aiming a gun using your hands is.

I'm sure you could make a cool experience using gaze aiming, but not in a game where you use more or less traditional weapons like KZ. There I would want to actually aim the guns using my hands.
A superman game with gaze tracking :messenger_fearful:

Top Bottom