• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
Wait...does Sony think that there's a huge audience of people who would rather buy a system that plays the exact same games slightly better (PS4.1) instead of a brand new system that could be roughly as powerful and has Nintendo games as well? Forget a shrinking audience for Nintendo platforms, what significant audience is Sony trying to target and why do they think that will work?

I own a PS4 and Wii U, and NX sounds far more intriguing than Sony's version of the New 3DS, I don't care if it's slightly more powerful either, that's not a generational upgrade, while Wii U to NX could be.
PS4K is being made to make VR games run better at higher framerates out of the box, while likely having all the necessary ports and processor box built into the console, being one of the first to have 4K blu-Ray built in, and help sell Sony branded 4K TV's (remember Sony is more than a gaming company).

Sony's counting on:

- the new people who haven't bought a PS4 yet to buy it
-The people who want better VR
- hardcore fans who buy anything PS-related
- People who want to test their 4K TV's with 4K content.

Neoxon

Wait...does Sony think that there's a huge audience of people who would rather buy a system that plays the exact same games slightly better (PS4.1) instead of a brand new system that could be roughly as powerful and has Nintendo games as well? Forget a shrinking audience for Nintendo platforms, what significant audience is Sony trying to target and why do they think that will work?

I own a PS4 and Wii U, and NX sounds far more intriguing than Sony's version of the New 3DS, I don't care if it's slightly more powerful either, that's not a generational upgrade, while Wii U to NX could be.
PS4K has 4K Blu-Ray, the NX Console will likely use a proprietary disc format or possible even cartridges similar to what the 3DS used.

Banned
This is the truest thing you've posted.
Yeah, most likely.
if sticker star was called paper legend of zelda, i think people would have been pretty okay with it. i like it as an action-adventure game and thought the game design was well-done throughout.

plus, it wasn't a complete waste of ambition like super paper mario.
Limiting my attacks to stickers I find in the field while exploring is such a terrible gameplay mechanic. Now it's cards instead of stickers.

Xmsn4pB.jpg

Nanashrew

Banned
Sony is usually associated with premium. PS4K isn't above them to do. Whether it might be a good idea to go that far, who knows. We still don't know how the market may react to iterative console evolutions.

I do hope that off screen play does stay around in some fashion. There's a reason my Wii U gets a lot more play than my Xbox One, and it's almost entirely because of off screen play. Being married with kids, it's incredibly hard to get tv time for gaming and it's great to be able to be in the same room as my family when they're watching their shows.

Banned
I've got a question about Trev actually. What recourse does Nintendo have to go after him if he himself didn't sign NDA's?

I assume you mean like this?

Very nice.
I have failed!

As per Trev, likely the marketing budget was considered very sensitive information and Nintendo contacted him to give up his source or face legal action. But I doubt he was under any NDA. His source was.

Meesh

Thanks for sharing 10k as always.

About the gimmick/hook being the controller, I'm fine with a streamlined/enhanced version of WiiUs gamepad, I mean how else are we gonna play some of those ports and presumably our back catalogs, not to mention it's sort of indicative of ZeldaU/NXs direction in relying on a second screen for gameplay "enhancements". Then least of all there's always the Art Academy users like myself lol. We're bound to see an actual handheld down the pipe that probably works or communicates with NX in some fashion, could be some form of a shared library aspect(?), could be anything I guess, I'm just overwhelmed trying to grasp the entire scope of what the NX actually is lol. Truth be told I believe the real gimmick lies in the scd and what that means for NX longevity.

As far as power is concerned, lol, as some have said it sounds almost too good to be true so I'm simply gonna pretend we're fixed in a realm near PS4 parity. If there really is a huge/marginal boost above that, yay, cookies for everyone...and games I should hope. Speaking of which the tons of games in the pipe quote is encouraging, but with very little to go on in the way of titles or developers I'm left wanting :( Still have high hopes for some FF love though.

Luigi's Mansion 3? It's not really my bag, that is to say while its popular to some degree I really never payed too much attention to the games. Bonus if true for lovers of LM, wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Right now it feels like all the rumours and pieces of the NX puzzle are pulling things into chaotic disorder, I think come E3 Nintendo will paint a more cohesive picture of what we can NeXpect...or they'll die trying.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
PS4K has 4K Blu-Ray, the NX Console will likely use a proprietary disc format or possible even cartridges similar to what the 3DS used.

No way to the game cards happening. I'll eat my hat if they do that. It'd be great for consumers (no installs needed to prevent huge load times, durable, frankly superior), but it's still more expensive, "but logistics" or not. I think some of you guys are going to be in for a shock, but considering the Wii U disc spec can essentially be reused if Panasonic can make them dual-layer, it shouldn't be too surprising.

PS4K is being made to make VR games run better at higher framerates out of the box, while likely having all the necessary ports and processor box built into the console, being one of the first to have 4K blu-Ray built in, and help sell Sony branded 4K TV's (remember Sony is more than a gaming company).

Sony's counting on:

- the new people who haven't bought a PS4 yet to buy it
-The people who want better VR
- hardcore fans who buy anything PS-related
- People who want to test their 4K TV's with 4K content.

That makes about as much sense as it will ever make, but it would spell doom for the traditional console upgrade, so I don't want to see it succeed.

AdanVC

Thanks, 10k for sharing all of that info!

Honestly the only one that got me real hyped there was that FFXV was once again hinted to appear on NX! A main FF fame could go back to a Nintendo system after more than 20 years! That's just excellent! It's also nice since that way I wouldn't need to buy a PS4 for it!

I'd be disappointed if FFXV came to NX and FFVIIR didn't. FFXV looks about as disappointing as FFXIII. FFVIIR is the most requested remake of all time and it's final fantasy in and out.

AniHawk

I don't own a PS4 because I like PC gaming... That doesn't sound like a well thought out plan if that's the case.

sony's history in the market is them wanting to look the best. they want the biggest, most cinematic things. they helped make an environment where fmv was a marketable term, allowed for voice acting to expand beyond voice clips in major titles, and started to increase value in what video game consoles were starting with the dvd player in the ps2. sony's never had the weakest platform of their generation or versus their competition. sony's method of revealing their consoles is how they talk about the emotion engine, cell, or 8gb gddr5 as ways to get people excited about power. psp played ps2-like games on the go, and ps vita played ps3-like games on the go. these were supposed to pull handheld gaming out of a sort of 'ghetto' (not my words), as they saw it.

it's possible that microsoft was looking to rebrand everything and have something ready even this year considering what's going on with uwp. sony's ps4k might have been a reaction to that, prompting microsoft to delay the new xbox so that it's a complete refresh. combined with the nx rumored to make the ps4 seem outdated, sony might have wanted to at least stay part of the conversation rather than being relegated to the 'weakest', especially if xbox and nx started looking like a new generation while sony was stuck in the previous one.

i think their hand was forced, a little by their own hubris and a little out of competition.

I'd hope that the first FF7 part remake is at most a timed exclusive. Not sure SE would give up all 3+ parts to Sony unless they offered a massive sum of money. Would be super unfortunate if Nintendo ended up marketing two Sony exclusives to Nintendo fans with Smash's DLC

Pinky

Banned
Wow! Shit, okay, where do I even start???

This all sounds incredible! Of course I will take it all with a grain of salt, but there are a few things I want to touch on.

- Polaris. I know very little about tech, chips, 14nm, etc... However, it was stated that it's possible that AMD pushed Nintendo to go with 14nm chips because it would not only serve the console well, but it would also work in a handheld form-factor. Could this be one of the two big "wins" AMD talked about a while back? One of the wins was associated with a game console if I remember correctly.

- GamePad 2.0. I can't remember where it came from(maybe the WSJ article?), but I remember a rumor a little while back stating that the NX would come with a handheld/mobile unit. This latest rumor does tend to line up with that. Also, if true, it sounds like Nintendo will have to put very little into the unit in comparison to what was in the Wii U GamePad. Basically, a chip that can connect the GamePad to the console via a hotspot or wi-fi access point. I would assume production costs would be lower in comparison to the Wii U GamePad, but I don't know.

- Costs. We very well could be looking at expensive package here. However, some have suggested that different bundles could be possible. Reminds me of the NES days when you had the Control Deck, Action Set and Deluxe Set. Would be kinda cool!

- Nintendo takes a loss. Nintendo took a big, fat slap to the face with Wii U. If I were Nintendo, my first priority would be to build an install base quickly and effectively. How? Take the hit. Offer us this dream machine at an attractive price point and build your base. Recoup costs through software sales, services, amiibo, mobile, etc... A couple posters in here stated that Nintendo never takes a loss on hardware, but I'm pretty damn sure they did with Wii U. I believe Reggie was the one that said Nintendo was able to make a profit on each Wii U sold as long as the customer purchased 1 game as well. Anyone feel free to correct me if wrong.

- Games. Sounds great! Again, we'll see how that goes. ;)

All in all, salt in hand, it all sounds amazing. Now, Nintendo needs to hurry their ass up!

10k!!! You are a beast! Thank you for your new round of info. It is greatly appreciated!

Pancake Mix

I have failed!

As per Trev, likely the marketing budget was considered very sensitive information and Nintendo contacted him to give up his source or face legal action. But I doubt he was under any NDA. His source was.

Indeed, and the budget really shouldn't have been leaked... but did they have any legal ground to go after Trev if he didn't out the source? Releasing sensitive information?

Thanks, 10k for sharing all of that info!

Honestly the only one that got me real hyped there was that FFXV was once again hinted to appear on NX! A main FF fame could go back to a Nintendo system after more than 20 years! That's just excellent! It's also nice since that way I wouldn't need to buy a PS4 for it!

Exactly my thought. My limited time and budget does not allow me to buy another console for a handful of games. Although I really want to play Bloodborne and Horizon, I guess I will not buy PS4 in the foreseeable future now given that FF15 is going to release on NX. I think FFVIIR will be on NX too, given that it is a console debut for PS4.

I am also excited to play Luigi Manson 3. The line-up of NX keeps getting better!

Servbot24

Banned
Exactly my thought. My limited time and budget does not allow me to buy another console for a handful of games. Although I really want to play Bloodborne and Horizon, I guess I will not buy PS4 in the foreseeable future now given that FF15 is going to release on NX. I think FFVIIR will be on NX too, given that it is a console debut for PS4.

I am also excited to play Luigi Manson 3. The line-up of NX keeps getting better!
The line up for NX doesn't exist yet.

Don't forget we go though this for every launch and get disappointed every single time.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Lol. Anyway, FF7 might not come to NX because its maybe co-funded by Sony.

Where did the rumor came from? I know FF7R is going to be released on PS4 first. I'm not even aware that the game is exclusive to ps4 only. I meant we could see this message in FF7R E3 2015 trailer.

Dsv4yph.png

Mory Dunz

I'd be disappointed if FFXV came to NX and FFVIIR didn't. FFXV looks about as disappointing as FFXIII. FFVIIR is the most requested remake of all time and it's final fantasy in and out.

KH3 seems like an interesting scenario. I'm expecting an 80/20 split at best for PS4 and Xbox tbh. So for every 800k by PS4, i see around 200k for xbox. I think even the wii u and it's paltry userbase could pull off a little more than a 200k. (if it wasn't so underpowered). But anyway, the point was that I think KH3 on a nintendo console is a viable product. I'm not sure about FF since it's been so long so I'm not gonna touch FF15 or FF7 performance on a nintendo console. I just think that a KH3 port wouldn't be a financial waste. So that'll be interesting to observe. Do I think it'll happen? dunno

Crono27

Where did the rumor came from? I know FF7R is going to be released on PS4 first. I'm not even aware that the game is exclusive to ps4 only. I meant we could see this message in FF7R E3 2015 trailer.

Dsv4yph.png

Think its cause people saw it at Sony e3 so they like to assume things.

Schnozberry

The primitive discard accelerator as a major feature seems kind of suspect to me. Most graphics cards have the ability to toss out triangles that are too small or are invisible. They also discard primitives and do depth culling. These have been around for years. If this was going to change the game by allowing software to run better on lower powered graphics cards, why wasn't a bigger deal made out of it at AMD's Polaris reveal? I'm wondering if this is one of those things that sounds good on paper but doesn't amount to much in practice. It's like Nvidia's extra tessellation units that they encouraged developers to use in situations where they offered a very small benefit to the end user but crippled AMD cards to the point that it was a marketing victory.

NX is going to be Nintendo X PS4, Nintendo is going to make the handheld version, Sony the PS4K = The end of internet and Gaf down forever.

I'm really sick of having to wait until the second year of every post N64 era system for the next 3D Mario. (formerly) Tokyo EAD has had a proper three years to work on the next game and Hayashida even said in Edge that 3D World's followup was being planned for the next system so it should be ready. LBW and 3DW launched the same day which was an amazing day for fans, if it's ready get it out the door with Zelda, even if people don't have time to play both titles right away they'll still buy both and it will make the launch all the more stronger. It's time to end the 20 year cycle and give us 3D Mario at launch again.

Anyways, between Trev's Feb leaks and 10k's epic posts we have come a long way from the WUST days (grain of salt still though, never forget):

nintendo_land.jpg

11071984bloomcounty.jpg

Banned
Wow! Shit, okay, where do I even start???

This all sounds incredible! Of course I will take it all with a grain of salt, but there are a few things I want to touch on.

- Polaris. I know very little about tech, chips, 14nm, etc... However, it was stated that it's possible that AMD pushed Nintendo to go with 14nm chips because it would not only serve the console well, but it would also work in a handheld form-factor. Could this be one of the two big "wins" AMD talked about a while back? One of the wins was associated with a game console if I remember correctly.

- GamePad 2.0. I can't remember where it came from(maybe the WSJ article?), but I remember a rumor a little while back stating that the NX would come with a handheld/mobile unit. This latest rumor does tend to line up with that. Also, if true, it sounds like Nintendo will have to put very little into the unit in comparison to what was in the Wii U GamePad. Basically, a chip that can connect the GamePad to the console via a hotspot or wi-fi access point. I would assume production costs would be lower in comparison to the Wii U GamePad, but I don't know.

- Costs. We very well could be looking at expensive package here. However, some have suggested that different bundles could be possible. Reminds me of the NES days when you had the Control Deck, Action Set and Deluxe Set. Would be kinda cool!

- Nintendo takes a loss. Nintendo took a big, fat slap to the face with Wii U. If I were Nintendo, my first priority would be to build an install base quickly and effectively. How? Take the hit. Offer us this dream machine at an attractive price point and build your base. Recoup costs through software sales, services, amiibo, mobile, etc... A couple posters in here stated that Nintendo never takes a loss on hardware, but I'm pretty damn sure they did with Wii U. I believe Reggie was the one that said Nintendo was able to make a profit on each Wii U sold as long as the customer purchased 1 game as well. Anyone feel free to correct me if wrong.

- Games. Sounds great! Again, we'll see how that goes. ;)

All in all, salt in hand, it all sounds amazing. Now, Nintendo needs to hurry their ass up!

10k!!! You are a beast! Thank you for your new round of info. It is greatly appreciated!
Don't thank me, thank my sources for sharing the info. And especially don't thank me if any of this shit ends up being fake (I would ne devastated after all this work and research lol)
Indeed, and the budget really shouldn't have been leaked... but did they have any legal ground to go after Trev if he didn't out the source? Releasing sensitive information?
I have no idea. If Nintendo contacts me soon, I guess we'll know :p

KH3 seems like an interesting scenario. I'm expecting an 80/20 split at best for PS4 and Xbox tbh. So for every 800k by PS4, i see around 200k for xbox. I think even the wii u and it's paltry userbase could pull off a little more than a 200k. (if it wasn't so underpowered). But anyway, the point was that I think KH3 on a nintendo console is a viable product. I'm not sure about FF since it's been so long so I'm not gonna touch FF15 or FF7 performance on a nintendo console. I just think that a KH3 port wouldn't be a financial waste. So that'll be interesting to observe. Do I think it'll happen? dunno
A lot of the FF purists likely own 3DS because Bravely Default is the closest thing to classic FF. So Nintendo likely has some of the FF audience who'd buy FFXV and VIIR on NX. Even KH got some games on 3DS.

The primitive discard accelerator as a major feature seems kind of suspect to me. Most graphics cards have the ability to toss out triangles that are too small or are invisible. They also discard primitives and do depth culling. These have been around for years. If this was going to change the game by allowing software to run better on lower powered graphics cards, why wasn't a bigger deal made out of it at AMD's Polaris reveal? I'm wondering if this is one of those things that sounds good on paper but doesn't amount to much in practice. It's like Nvidia's extra tessellation units that they encouraged developers to use in situations where they offered a very small benefit to the end user but crippled AMD cards to the point that it was a marketing victory.
The PS4 and Xbox use middleware to accomplish it. The NX would be able to do it natively from the gpu. That's the bigger benefit I was told.

Pancake Mix

Don't thank me, thank my sources for sharing the info. And especially don't thank me if any of this shit ends up being fake (I would ne devastated after all this work and research lol)

I have no idea. If Nintendo contacts me soon, I guess we'll know :p

Stay safe from the ninjas!

Think its cause people saw it at Sony e3 so they like to assume things.

"Play it first on PlayStation 4" means it will be on PS4 first.

Kagari's posts clarifying this fact in here It's might not be coming to Xbox or NX, that's the presumption, but that it's a PS4 exclusive, at least for a time, is a fact.

MuchoMalo

Banned
NX is going to be Nintendo X PS4, Nintendo is going to make the handheld version, Sony the PS4K = The end of internet and Gaf down forever.

In a way, this would be the best thing for everyone... Well, until it completely murders XBox and we have an effective monopoly.

The line up for NX doesn't exist yet.

Don't forget we go though this for every launch and get disappointed every single time.

Ok, I will temper my expectation. Not that I mind as I will buy NX anyway. Hell, in fact the line-up does not affect me as I will not have time for so many games. I haven't even beat Fire Emblem Fate Birthright even though I buy it day one.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

I don't know what rights businesses have to their documents. Since Trev was not an employee, he was obviously not under contract and thus had never agreed to not leak it. However, perhaps there are general laws like you described that protect the private documents of businesses and governments? I really don't know, but I doubt such things if they exist protect companies.

I would guess that Nintendo sent him a big scary email that potentially accused him of assisting an employee break his contract or knowingly causing damages to their business. If Nintendo could prove that the leak of that document caused damages, maybe they'd have some kind of case for a civil lawsuit? I'm really making this stuff up. Trev could have also, as a fan of Nintendo, decided to do what they asked as soon as they asked him.

With crimes, people obviously get into trouble for assisting them or can be potentially pressured to release any info they have on the crime (to avoid obstruction of justice, I think?). However, I feel almost certain that the employee wasn't doing anything criminal.

Dsv4yph.png

Actually this could have new meanings since the multi-part format reveal. Maybe the first game is for PS4 only and the others for PS5, so you would be playing the FF VII remake first on ps4 but still an exclusive which would mean Sony's involvement most likely. Or it really just a temp. exclusive for PS4 and the first game will release for NX or other platforms. Hard to know at this point.

Kimawolf

I don't know what rights businesses have to their documents. Since Trev was not an employee, he was obviously not under contract and thus had never agreed to not leak it. However, perhaps there are general laws like you described that protect the private documents of businesses and governments? I really don't know, but I doubt such things if they exist protect companies.

I would guess that Nintendo sent him a big scary email that potentially accused him of assisting an employee break his contract or knowingly causing damages to their business. If Nintendo could prove that the leak of that document caused damages, maybe they'd have some kind of case for a civil lawsuit? I'm really making this stuff up. Trev could have also, as a fan of Nintendo, decided to do what they asked as soon as they asked him.

With crimes, people obviously get into trouble for assisting them or can be potentially pressured to release any info they have on the crime (to avoid obstruction of justice, I think?). However, I feel almost certain that the employee wasn't doing anything criminal.

im thinking it's akin to if you somehow came into the Admin code for GAF and then posted it and there was damage to the site, the site owners could sue you and/or threaten you to reveal how you got said information.

diaspora

Hopefully the remote screen is optional, or if mandatory cheap to produce. What imo handicapped the Wii U was how the controller was 30-50% the price of the damn system.

Sciortino

Dsv4yph.png

Where does this come from? I could've sworn it say "play it first on PS4" which implies it's coming to other consoles. Square would be completely stupid to release it on one system.

I'm just going on assumption. No rumor and also Kagari has mentioned it:
Final Fantasy XV on NX. My single source on this said he's heard more of his sources mention it's coming to NX. No idea when. I pressed for FFVIIR but nobody has heard about it. Gaf's very own mod Kagari hinted that Sony may have co-funded it and it may never get released outside of PS4 and PC (like Street Fighter V).

Very possible it could come to other consoles outside of PS4 though.

AdanVC

Exactly! I was about to buy a damn PS4 literally once the Uncovered FFXV event finished but I managed to resist the temptation since I recalled those rumors about the possibility of FFXV appearing on NX as well. Right now I only own a Wii U and my gaming time (and budget as well) is pretty limited so no reason to spend 300 bucks in a console just to play one singe game. Oh man it seems Square Enix is going all in with NX and that is just excellent!

Pancake Mix

I'm just going on assumption. No rumour and also Kagari has mentioned it:

Very possible it could come to other consoles outside of PS4 though.

Maybe later, but not at launch. Not only did Kagari make it clear, but that teaser made it clear as well.

It's not like the Rise of the Tomb Raider situation didn't happen so this wouldn't be the first time Square Enix has even done a deal like that this gen.

Banned
Hopefully the remote screen is optional, or if mandatory cheap to produce. What imo handicapped the Wii U was how the controller was 30-50% the price of the damn system.
The gamepad was the least of the Wii U's problems. If it wasn't underpowered, had third party support, and didn't have software droughts, and it got clear messaging it would have done a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom