• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
As in the functionality.

One source speculated it but I cannot confirm it. Free form would be likely for the handheld imo. Nintendo is apparently a confirmed customer of sharp free form, are they not?

Oh, I didn't know it has already been confirmed. After some quick search, I find that the original report is published by Japan Times, which is Japan's largest English-language newspaper. I guess the report is legit. Pretty excited about this. The controller may induce a wow factor if the design is good.

Link

BTW, thank you for all the info!

I would like to remind everyone that new 3-5" screens have been ordered by a partner from Sharp to ship this year. That sounds like what we're looking at.

Thanks for the info! The pieces are really coming together, isn't it?

Man GameXplain sure loves creating videos out of NeoGAF rumours

I just checked it out and saw this posted by youtuber HMK in the comments

this leak is coming out as second report from a COMPLETELY random post from Reddit that has NO proof WHATSOEVER and has no credentials and comes from a guy that really has some bad issues. So I wouldn't read into to that much here is the link

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/4db3ii/e3_portfolio_just_th

GamerJM

Banned
Welp, just caught up with this thread and read all of the posts.

I'm super hyped for NX if the rumors are true (well, I'm super hyped for it either way, but yeah). Idk about the second screen controller thing though. Functionally it's great, and I see why Nintendo has spent so much time pursuing two screens, but I just don't think it's something the mass market gives a shit about. I like the idea of it being something optional and being included in one bundle. I don't think them making it the central "gimmick," of the console again is a good idea.

I think we just don't know about the handheld yet because only Japanese devs know about it. I think maybe it won't launch until sometime in 2017 too.

Zalman

Alright, so I caught up. A lot of it sounds plausible, but the controller thing is very strange to me. It's hard to believe they would put another screen controller in the box, and it's hard to believe they would give their own handheld even more competition. Even if there is no handheld, that doesn't sound very Nintendo-like either since you're forced to have an internet connection on the go.

Anastasis

I have not kept up with all the rumors, patents, but here are a couple thoughts that may not be remotely new:

If streaming is build into the NX, why wouldn't Nintendo just use any of the millions of screens we already use on a daily basis (PC, smart phone, tablet)? Keeps the console powerful and the cost down.

Could the very phones we use get supplemental apps that go along with the games on the NX to help smooth out the streaming process?

I finally started Miitomo and it just seems like a Trojan horse for Nintendo to do something like I've suggested above.

J@hranimo

Banned
Man GameXplain sure loves creating videos out of NeoGAF rumours

eeeeeeeeeasy money vieeeeeeeeeews ;)

but really thanks 10k for sharing more possible info. Excited for an improved gamepad type controller. Luigi's Mansion 3...that's very plausible. LM2 was pretty good and sold well. Releasing a sequel on console + Pikmin 4 mimics the Gamecube launch in a sense (which was really good in my opinion both software and generational leap wise).

Had someone explain the GPU business which sounds cool too. 2 weeks months until E3 ladies and gents!!!

edit: When I typed 2 weeks, I was thinking the FY Report Meeting, my bad lmao.

Malus

Alright, so I caught up. A lot of it sounds plausible, but the controller thing is very strange to me. It's hard to believe they would put another screen controller in the box, and it's hard to believe they would give their own handheld even more competition. Even if there is no handheld, that doesn't sound very Nintendo-like either since you're forced to have an internet connection on the go.

The controller with a screen thing is the most believable aspect to me. I mean, they even filed a patent.

The Polaris thing I'm not counting on since it just came from 1 source.

Pinky

Banned
I have not kept up with all the rumors, patents, but here are a couple thoughts that may not be remotely new:

If streaming is build into the NX, why wouldn't Nintendo just use any of the millions of screens we already use on a daily basis (PC, smart phone, tablet)? Keeps the console powerful and the cost down.

Could the very phones we use get supplemental apps that go along with the games on the NX to help smooth out the streaming process?

I finally started Miitomo and it just seems like a Trojan horse for Nintendo to do something like I've suggested above.

I don't want to play console games on a tablet or phone. I need physical buttons/inputs.

eeeeeeeeeasy money vieeeeeeeeeews ;)

but really thanks 10k for sharing more possible info. Excited for an improved gamepad type controller. Luigi's Mansion 3...that's very plausible. LM2 was pretty good and sold well. Releasing a sequel on console + Pikmin 4 mimics the Gamecube launch in a sense (which was really good in my opinion both software and generational leap wise).

Had someone explain the GPU business which sounds cool too. 2 weeks until E3 ladies and gents!!!

64436392.jpg

MK_768

Wow. Just caught up with the new rumor. Pretty excited to be fair. I am resistant to be completely hyped though lol. The a lot of games rumor has me conflicted. It's very possible that it's true because a lot of Nintendo's studios moved on from Wii U after 2014 it seems. Also, they began trusting their younger devs as a garage like thing. Splatoon was a result of his. It's possible there's more of these small dev teams working on new IPs.

Also, Luigi's Mansion 3 doesn't shock. I've mentioned that here as if it's coming in the 1st year. LM2 did shockingly well so I figured 3 was being made in 2013.

However, I will not get my hopes up too much lol.

Meesh

Those YouTube comments though lol.

"10k is muk shoveling"
"Some 10 year old kid on Reddit"
"Fake as shit"

YouTube is poison.
Holy...

That's unfortunate but I wouldn't let it dissuade you from delivering da goods :)

Ya want we should "take care" of em for ya? >:)

10k, do you think NX will support wii and wii u controllers? I think GC controllers via USB is likely(for smash), but I'm hoping wiimote controls are possible. I can't imagine playing shooters without them. /:

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Those YouTube comments though lol.

"10k is muk shoveling"
"Some 10 year old kid on Reddit"
"Fake as shit"

YouTube is poison.

Yikes. I know it's hard but try to pay them no mind.

Did your sources say anything about the physical media to be used or an Ethernet jack?
At this point, maybe it's a Bring Your Own Sensor Bar kind of thing, where you can use some of the Wii Stuff but they'e not going to package any of it with the console.

Like the Wii U in Japan. It did not ship with a Sensor Bar.

udivision

10k, do you think NX will support wii and wii u controllers? I think GC controllers via USB is likely, but I'm hoping wiimote controls are possible. I can't imagine playing shooters without them. /:

At this point, maybe it's a Bring Your Own Sensor Bar kind of thing, where you can use some of the Wii Stuff but they'e not going to package any of it with the console.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yeah, I gotta agree with that. PS4 has the lion's share demographic for JRPGs, Nintendo also has a good demographic for JRPGs. MS doesn't really have much of anything for JRPG fans.

Which is also why I'm still baffled by KH3 getting an XBO release though it will sell terribly there.

People were so dumbfounded that KH3 was coming to XB1 over WiiU despite KH having a ton of history on nintendo platforms that square had to come out and say it couldnt work even tho the Wiiu was made so that downporting to it wouldnt be anywhere as bad as downporting to wii from a PS3

Zalman

The controller with a screen thing is the most believable aspect to me. I mean, they even filed a patent.
I can see them making a new NX-branded GamePad for optional use with games like Mario Maker, but I can't see them forcing it upon consumers again.

Nanashrew

Banned
People were so dumbfounded that KH3 was coming to XB1 over WiiU despite KH having a ton of history on nintendo platforms that square had to come out and say it couldnt work even tho the Wiiu was made so that downporting to it wouldnt be anywhere as bad as downporting to wii from a PS3

I dunno, there are still some feature sets missing for Wii U. But PC would have been a better choice than XBO.

Banned
10k, do you think NX will support wii and wii u controllers? I think GC controllers via USB is likely, but I'm hoping wiimote controls are possible. I can't imagine playing shooters without them. /:
Nintendo are distancing themselves as far away as possible from Wii and DS. Kimishima even said so. Also, I don't see any first party Wii remote or accessories at my local retailers in Toronto. Or there is low stock.

I think it's safe to assume there is no support for Wii remotes or it's accessories, and no Wii U BC.

GameCube controller support could just use the GameCube adapters since they're USB based. Some code would need to be written into the NX OS.

Forkball

I expected a screen controller, but I'm curious about the ergonomics of using it outside your house and it's portability.

This could all jus be BS anyways. Save us E3.

Like everything that 10k posted but won't let myself get too hyped. No offense or anything, just want lower expectations and be pleasantly surprised. That said, he's passed the mod verification previously so I believe these are things he's hearing from people in the know.

Thanks 10k! Nice to finally have some info to discuss.

Edit: my only concern is potentially the price.

Naw it stands for 10000k. A cheat code in gauntlet dark legacy for GameCube. Good times. Long story.

Oh I'm not discouraged lol. I always knew YouTube comments were hot garbage, it's just weird they're about me. 5 days ago nobody knew who I was lol.

When you get all famous in a couple of months remember I was with you all along

Nintendo are distancing themselves as far away as possible from Wii and DS. Kimishima even said so. Also, I don't see any first party Wii remote or accessories at my local retailers in Toronto. Or there is low stock.

I think it's safe to assume there is no support for Wii remotes or it's accessories, and no Wii U BC.

GameCube controller support could just use the GameCube adapters since they're USB based. Some code would need to be written into the NX OS.

Ugh. Don't want to go bak to dual analog for fpsers.. And the gamepad is too damn sluggish for a shooter with its gyro(hell even with LoZWW and TP HD in first person).. It worked for some in Splatoon, but for fast twitch shooter like CoD, I can't imagine going back.. ugh. Hell even

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Like, I'm not even sure they'll show Wii U games at E3. Maybe the Zelda trailer will have some tiny WII U logo at the end lol. I guess color splash and a last push for TMS#FE

No rumblings of a port of Paper Mario:CS? Interesting, I guess it makes sense.

And yeah, #FE is already out in Japan too. There's almost nothing left for Wii U.

J@hranimo

Banned
No way in hell am I going back to dual analog for fpsers.. And the gamepad is too damn sluggish for a shooter with its gyro. ;_;

Sluggish? Do you mean not as comfortable? Gyro controls are definitely more precise than any twin thumbstick control scheme for shooters imo. Almost close to Keyboard & Mouse on PC.

At the rate these rumors are spiraling out of control. I expect Nintendo to unveil NX to be a $300 machine that's almost as powerful as Xbox 1 and to have a innovative/gimmicky controller design launching with Zelda HD and Nintendoland 2: Amiibo Boogaloo. The Internet will cry and rage as they were expecting graphics almost a full generation step ahead of X1/PS4, with a $200 price point launching with Zelda, Smash Bros, 3D Mario, Splatoon, Mario Maker, Retro Studios game, Pikmin, Paper Mario, Mario Kart, etc. as well as decent 3rd party support.

Yeah I'm exaggerating both sides in terms of what people are expecting and what Nintendo will anounce. However it happens every new hardware cycle with Nintendo. Rumors both reliable and false slowly "leak" which builds up and misrepresents the console. To where everyone has unrealistic expectations. Meanwhile they forget it's Nintendo and they're gonna do whatever they want and there's no real telling either way what they will do.

I don't know. I see a ton Wii Remotes in all the stores in the US.

A ton of Wii U games still support the classic controller.

You also see the recent NES VC light gun games support it. Not to mention the several Wii U Party games.

Since it's just Bluetooth I don't see them having any problems in leaving the support in. Especially for a future Wii VC.

They can position it like the Classic Controllers for Wii if they wanted to.

Zalman

Wii Remotes better be compatible. Going back to traditional controls for Pikmin and Metroid Prime would be a huge downgrade.

Joqu

I'd prefer for them to create a wiimote revision somewhere down the line. I'd like to see a competent wireless nunchuck

javadoze

Not that I'm doubting it'll happen, but we never received confirmation from Takahashi about a third Xenoblade game.

Tetsuya Takahashi stated that whatever he does next will probably have "Xeno" as part of the name as a sign his team worked on it. He's also gone on to say that the next game will probably have more philosophical themes and a bigger story compared to Xenoblade X.

I wouldn't quite say these snippets confirm it, but Xenoblade 3 has been mostly implied by all this. That said, I doubt we'll be seeing any news of it until 2017 or so.

Sluggish? Do you mean not as comfortable? Gyro controls are definitely more precise than any twin thumbstick control scheme for shooters imo. Almost close to Keyboard & Mouse on PC.

I agree to an extent, but the awkwardness and inconsistency of absolutely needing to combine both inputs at time can be annoying.

To spin around you definitely need to use the sticks, but the gyro aiming is better for finer adjustments to your aim. I don't care for the combination of inputs, which is why mouse and keyboard will always be better to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom