• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
As star fox!? How
630x.jpg
?
On rails sucker? Kinda like this

Mory Dunz

A lot of the FF purists likely own 3DS because Bravely Default is the closest thing to classic FF. So Nintendo likely has some of the FF audience who'd buy FFXV and VIIR on NX. Even KH got some games on 3DS.

I'm just not sure the handheld 3ds JRPG audience translates to the console one currently. And plus the 3ds had a bigger install base altogether.

But outside of Xenoblade, #FE, and an upcoming slap in the face, RPGs have been pretty nonexistent on Wii U in the west. Even Wii didn't have too many. And they didn't do that well.

so console wise? It remains to be seen imo.

diaspora

The gamepad was the least of the Wii U's problems. If it wasn't underpowered, had third party support, and didn't have software droughts, and it got clear messaging it would have done a lot better.
Being underpowered isn't a non-issue as DICE/EA aptly demonstrated but it would have been able to perform better had it launched at 200-250 instead of 300-350. Messaging was a clusterfuck, worst branding and product intro up there with x1.

The Giant

Banned
Reading thru these rad new rumors ... Thanks 10k!

😎

One thing jumped out at me.

Did a source say NLG is this big or so we know that for a fact? I thought we'd known them to be smaller...was I thinking of Monster Games?

NLG is about 70 people. MG is under 30 people.

Banned
I'm just not sure the handheld 3ds JRPG audience translates to the console one currently. And plus the 3ds had a bigger install base altogether.

But outside of Xenoblade, #FE, and an upcoming slap in the face, RPGs have been pretty nonexistent on Wii U in the west. Even Wii didn't have too many. And they didn't do that well.

so console wise? It remains to be seen imo.
Well, every new console is a chance to build a new audience. We will see.

The NX is going to have a screen controller (whether it's optional or standard I don't know)
Basically, it's remote play built into the box and won't require a $200 add-on to experience it."

Anyone else see the problem with these two statements?

Hint: Price isn't the issue here

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

Banned
Those rumors are as good as 10K.. they both say "Might" or "May" and both dont know straight up lol.
That's how rumors work. Very rare is something confirmed unless it's straight from the company PR.

Even Zelda NX is a rumor until Nintendo says otherwise. We just assume it's coming because it would be dumb to send that large of an investment to die on Wii U.

Mory Dunz

Well, every new console is a chance to build a new audience. We will see.

Yeah. To get the JRPG audience, they should try and get:
DQ11 (which seems kinda probable)
KH3
FF15 or FF7 or both
Their own RPG (Xeno or a new IP)
Then a good amount of AA JRPGs like the 3DS has.

And maybe make that upcoming slap in the face franchise into an rpg again...:)

diaspora

He's guessing that it'll be $200 because Miyamoto said the Gamepad was $100?
Well and the Wii U pad had unnecessary shit like gyro/motion, a camera, IR, etc built in. The device itself was fucking amazing for me to off-tv play in bed but had so much more useless crap in it.

Edit: Square fucked up and accidentally announced DQ11 on NX didn't they?

Banned
Yeah. To get the JRPG audience, they should try and get:
DQ11 (which seems kinda probable)
KH3
FF15 or FF7 or both
Their own RPG (Xeno or a new IP)
Then a good amount of AA JRPGs like the 3DS has.

And maybe make that upcoming slap in the face franchise into an rpg again...:)
DQXI was like the first "announced" game lol. Whether it's based on the 3DS or PS4 version I have no idea.
FFXV has a chance.
Xenoblade 3 is happening according to its director.
I'm very sure Monster Hunter, Tales, and late ports of star ocean and such will make their way over to NX. Japanese devs need a second console to sell their console RPG's on besides the PS4 and aging PS3 in Japan.

Nanashrew

Banned
I mean using the second screen to look around and follow ghosts. Basically first person Luigis Mansion.

Could be like the ecto goggles or a mini spectral analyzer. I'd be down for that.

It's not like Luigi's Mansion doesn't already borrow a lot from Ghostbusters anyway.

Well and the Wii U pad had unnecessary shit like gyro/motion, a camera, IR, etc built in. The device itself was fucking amazing for me to off-tv play in bed but had so much more useless crap in it.

Edit: Square fucked up and accidentally announced DQ11 on NX didn't they?

Gyro is not unnecessary shit. It'll stay on every controller Nintendo releases as it should.
IR it can ditch (it was useless), Camera can go too.

I'm not seeing the issue...
The remote play tech is built into the box and the $200 add on is the optional thing? right

If I'm reading it right, he's saying the screen controller may or may not be optional and yet, the system has remote play built into the box unlike the PS4, which implies it has to come with the controller.

Exactly! I was about to buy a damn PS4 literally once the Uncovered FFXV event finished but I managed to resist the temptation since I recalled those rumors about the possibility of FFXV appearing on NX as well. Right now I only own a Wii U and my gaming time (and budget as well) is pretty limited so no reason to spend 300 bucks in a console just to play one singe game. Oh man it seems Square Enix is going all in with NX and that is just excellent!

Man, I still remember that moment where the Square Enix announcer said DQXI is going to be on NX. My jaw dropped and I could not believe they announce a NX game before Nintendo. Although later the website revised the statement to be "considering", I think it is a lock that it will be on NX.

Banned
Hint: the price wasn't the issue
To experience remote play right now you need to buy a vita ($170) and a PS4 ($350) right now.

If Nintendo sells it out of the box it'll likely be much cheaper since it won't need a functioning handheld and just a dummy controller.

Nanashrew

Banned
Wii U's 9-axis gyro is super accurate and I want it to stay. It's not unnecessary at all, it's enhanced games like Splatoon. Heck, without, I'd probably never would have played Splatoon cause I suck so bad with dual sticks.

Joqu

Gyro is not unnecessary shit. It'll stay on every controller Nintendo releases as it should.
IR it can ditch (it was useless), Camera can go too.

Man the camera wasn't used much at all was it? Jeez. Yeah, really if they cut that and the IR and use a smaller screen they're already shaving some money off things. Maybe they could actually reach a reasonable price

No way gyro should go though. Works great with a screen and it's not like Nintendo are the only ones using it

To experience remote play right now you need to buy a vita ($170) and a PS4 ($350) right now.

If Nintendo sells it out of the box it'll likely be much cheaper since it won't need a functioning handheld and just a dummy controller.

But you said earlier it "was built into the box"

Banned
That he's saying that he doesn't know if it's optional or mandatory but then says it's mandatory
I worded it poorly.

The screen controller will likely cost $80 or so, it's not going to be the price of a handheld. So it'll be cheaper to use remote play with the NX compared to PS4 and Vita. Will likely perform better too. That was just speculation on my part. It's even noted.

phanphare

Banned
Wii U's 9-axis gyro is super accurate and I want it to stay. It's not unnecessary at all, it's enhanced games like Splatoon. Heck, without, I'd probably never would have played Splatoon cause I suck so bad with dual sticks.

yeah it should be standard in all controllers tbh

I worded it poorly.

The screen controller will likely cost $80 or so, it's not going to be the price of a handheld. So it'll be cheaper to use remote play with the NX compared to PS4 and Vita. Will likely perform better too. That was just speculation on my part. It's even noted.

BTW, 10k have you heard anything about the screen of the controller? Will the screen be a free-form display instead of a standard regular screen?

Mory Dunz

DQXI was like the first "announced" game lol. Whether it's based on the 3DS or PS4 version I have no idea.
FFXV has a chance.
I'm very sure Monster Hunter, Tales, and late ports of star ocean and such will make their way over to NX. Japanese devs need a second console to sell their console RPG's on besides the PS4 and aging PS3 in Japan.

Well, are we splitting console nx and handheld nx? Although I'm not even sure what that means at this point.

cause I definitely think MH Stories and DQ11 are locks for NX handheld. JRPG support wasn't a huge issue for nintendo handhelds regardless.

Man the camera wasn't used much at all was it? Jeez. Yeah, really if they cut that and the IR and use a smaller screen they're already shaving some money off things. Maybe they could actually reach a reasonable price

No way gyro should go though. Works great with a screen and it's not like Nintendo are the only ones using it
Gyro is really good and it's in mostly everything now a days from Smart Phones, to 3DS/Vita, to even PS4's DS4.
IR was never used, I think? The camera was for very minor things like the Mii builder which isn't very useful and for the nintendo land mini games with the camera

Where did the rumor came from? I know FF7R is going to be released on PS4 first. I'm not even aware that the game is exclusive to ps4 only. I meant we could see this message in FF7R E3 2015 trailer.

Dsv4yph.png

I also believe Cloud being in Smash helps the case for it coming to NX. I know they said he won the popular vote but it could easily have been manipulated.

antonz

Square Enix is going to put its stuff on every single device capable of it. I mean they are wanting 10 million sales of FF15. Even while Final Fantasy has been on a decline sales wise and 13 only hit around 7 million on consoles. There is no way they are growing 3 million+ sales on PS4/XBO only. That is not to say NX will sell 3 million either cause its very doubtful but if they expect the series to experience growth it will be on more than just PS4/XBO.

The fact SE has embraced UE4 further backs the on everything they can get it

Square Enix used the same bumper at the end as E3 2015 in their conference and uploaded to Youtube.

It couldn't be any clearer.

...You expect them to exclude platforms on the ending bumper...?
What can't be clearer? Its coming to PS4 first? Yeah I see that

That's how rumors work. Very rare is something confirmed unless it's straight from the company PR.

Even Zelda NX is a rumor until Nintendo says otherwise. We just assume it's coming because it would be dumb to send that large of an investment to die on Wii U.
Some rumors people be knowing for sure. I feel like assuming isnt a rumor. I feel like a rumor is something like Trev said. Its known not assumed but still not confirmed by the company PR.

Nanashrew

Banned
yeah it should be standard in all controllers tbh

I agree. Though I think Sony is still using 6-axis gryo alongside Move lights which has inaccurate tracking and latency. Industry leading tech means a lot of things as vague as it sounds. 9-axis is leading industry tech for motion controls.

9-axis gyro is also less effected by magnetic interference which is a problem for 6-axis too.

MuchoMalo

Banned
In theory, if Nintendo is willing to break even or take a small loss at first, a screen controller could add as little as $20-40 to the BOM as compared to a standard controller. With how cheap tablets are these days, it can't cost too much if they use the correct technologies right?

Square Enix is going to put its stuff on every single device capable of it. I mean they are wanting 10 million sales of FF15. Even while Final Fantasy has been on a decline sales wise and 13 only hit around 7 million on consoles. There is no way they are growing 3 million+ sales on PS4/XBO only. That is not to say NX will sell 3 million either cause its very doubtful but if they expect the series to experience growth it will be on more than just PS4/XBO.

Yeah, I can't see SE making a claim like that if at least a PC version isn't planned. Nintendo's brand is still dam strong in Japan though, so I think an NX version is worth it especially if it ends up being cheapest way to get FFXV running at 1080p without reconstruction.

BTW, 10k have you heard anything about the screen of the controller? Will the screen be a free-form display instead of a standard regular screen?

I would like to remind everyone that new 3-5" screens have been ordered by a partner from Sharp to ship this year. That sounds like what we're looking at.

I read the quote wrong. It's for shipments in general of 3.1-5 inch screens increasing. http://www.geek.com/games/nintendo-...set-to-release-this-year-report-says-1645848/

Banned
But you said earlier it "was built into the box"
As in the functionality.

One source speculated it but I cannot confirm it. Free form would be likely for the handheld imo. Nintendo is apparently a confirmed customer of sharp free form, are they not?

MomoQca

FFXV has a chance.

Not that I'm doubting it'll happen, but we never received confirmation from Takahashi about a third Xenoblade game.

Nanashrew

Banned
As in the functionality.

One source speculated it but I cannot confirm it. Free form would be likely for the handheld imo. Nintendo is apparently a confirmed customer of sharp free form, are they not?

Pretty much. Nintendo always uses Sharp and old reports show they've been looking into free-form displays.

Banned

I legitimately believe if FFXV and VIIR come to NX, it'll outsell the Xbox One versions in every market but nowhere near the PS4.

For example, if it sells 10M worldwide the breakdown would be:

PS4 7M
PC - 1M
XB - 750k
NX 1.25M

RedSwirl

They need a big, Western styled graphical showcase game at E3, and a realistic racer. I firmly believe if they had those two games published by Nintendo, it'd go a long way to show 3rd parties they are willing to build a western audience on their platform. They should also do whatever they need to ensure they get the sports games and COD day and date with the other consoles.

And maybe in advertising feature said "western" games and these will at least get some change on their audience.

Just posted this in another thread:

Main Objective: Convince western publishers there is a market for their games on a Nintendo platform. Everything else is really just a step towards that.

Earlier steps would definitely be solving the technology end of it -- the hardware itself as well as the toolchain for it, as well as building closer relationships with publishers. The latter thing is something Nintendo has never done on the same level as Sony or Microsoft. One reason it might actually be harder for Nintendo is because a lot of today's important western developers: guys like Bethesda, CDProjekt, Obsidian, Blizzard, or really most of the old PC guard, have never really had a working relationship with Nintendo. They've shipped pretty much no games on Nintendo platforms.

After that though, after some thought, I've come to the conclusion that at this point the onus really is on Nintendo to prove the market for the kinds of games EA and Ubisoft make indeed exists on Nintendo consoles. Ironically, that was kind of the case if you look back to the N64 era. Perfect Dark was a perfect example for the OP to bring up, but the situation back then was also pretty different.

Halo hadn't hit the market yet in 2000, but leading up to that year the N64 actually was the console for shooters and other western-style games. The N64 probably had a better selection of certain types of western games than the PlayStation, and while the hardware never matched PS1's sales, the N64 wasn't really unpopular in North America. It's just that back then everybody was still focused on succeeding in Japan. People have theorized that had Nintendo pushed forward with Perfect Dark 2 on the Gamecube or even pushed the original Perfect Dark back a year or so to the Gamecube (assuming it was a more technologically advanced version of the PD1 we got), it could have stood up to some of Halo's momentum and altered how the market looked at the Gamecube.

It would be way harder for Nintendo to do this today, when the market is inundated with super-popular multiplatform shooters that have even overshadowed Halo at this point. I'm not saying it's impossible for Nintendo to bring out some new action game that shocks the market the way Combat Evolved did in 2001 or the way Modern Warfare did in 2007 (or more fittingly the way GoldenEye did in 1997), but it would be damn hard. It'll be hard enough just getting Overwatch, Destiny, The Division, Paragon, Call of Duty, and Battlefield on Nintendo's console.

To the person who said the west is all about shooters, it's probably more accurate to say the western console market is mostly about action games and sports (which includes racing).

And I don't think it's impossible to balance that with Mario. Sony has Killzone, Infamous, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, God of War, and Ratchet & Clank.

Considering the fact that it only took one game for the Wii U to beat PS4 for almost every week for 6 months straight, Japan is the last region Nintendo should give up any hardware in. Nintendo can slaughter Sony on any front in Japan with the right software.

I get that you only said this in an older thread, but where would that leave Nintendo's handhelds? Would they be Nintendo's only in with the Japanese market?

I didn't say not to launch in Japan at all. I just meant that in regards to the console market, Japan is basically tier-2 at this point. Sony has been treating Japan like tier-2, and yet the PS4 is still getting pretty much all the Japanese console games. Exclusively even for many of them. Nintendo should probably just do the same thing. If it doesn't fuck up, you could very well see FFXV, DQXI, and probably a bunch of other niche Japanese things show up on NX. Not to mention the idea of having the console play all the handheld's games.

Yes there should definitely still be a handheld, and the handheld would probably be seen as the flagship of the platform as far as Japan is concerned. The Japanese developers currently doing 3DS and Vita games would probably swap over to NX handheld, and those games would thus also probably end up being for the NX console.

Nanashrew

Banned
Yeah, I gotta agree with that. PS4 has the lion's share demographic for JRPGs, Nintendo also has a good demographic for JRPGs. MS doesn't really have much of anything for JRPG fans.

Which is also why I'm still baffled by KH3 getting an XBO release though it will sell terribly there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom