• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobs

As great as these rumours sound, I'm having a difficult time believing them. Before the wii u launched it was hyped up as much as the NX is now. It doesn't sound like Nintendo to sell a reasonably powerful console at a loss. But I hope to be proven wrong.

Meesh

If there's a screen in the controller, I'm hoping it's around the size of a Vita. I don't want another Gamepad.
I'm hoping for a sleek, sexy game pad myself.

No more purple boxes either, no handles, no silly names, just a cutting edge looking system that looks like it means business with a light sprinkle of that Nintendo design aesthetic.

Linkhero1

As great as these rumours sound, I'm having a difficult time believing them. Bedore the wii u launched it was hypes up as much as the NX is now. It doesn't sound like Nintendo to sell a reasonably powerful console at a loss. But I hope to be proven wrong.
Honestly, a lot of the game rumors come off as educated guesses to me. I've seen people on GAF speculate that some of those titles would release for the NX. Not too sure about the hardware rumors to be honest. Nothing seems concrete and Nintendo sure seems tight lipped.

Going back to the 4k portable uprez games, here's SS on Dolphin at 4k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXPxvy4m4Zs
That's a Wii game though I'd imagine a NX handheld game wouldn't be much more technically demanding.
Would people be content just getting a lot of games from Nintendo that look like that?
I think they might.
Having a lot of 4k content might be a selling point even if they look like Wii games in HD.
Theoretically, I guess you could also make those games VR compatible with NX.
This is how I would see an a shared library not completely disappointing users if they make a considerable amount of content for it.
Would make this quote from Miyamoto make more sense:
“When it comes to games, I don’t see the need for Zelda in 4K but for Pikmin, making it 4K compatible could possibly further show more small detailed Pikmin moving around, show things from an even further perspective, and being able to see more may make a more fun game.”
Make the new pikmin for the handheld and allow it to run at 4k on the console.
If Zelda's a console exclusive it wouldn't run at 4k.
Make the handheld titles more stylized (admittedly, not a good example if we're using pikmin) and I think the result would be pretty pleasing like Wind Waker or Skyward Sword in HD.
Games like Mario/kart, DKCR, Kirby, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, etc would probably translate over well.
I also think that having these games in 4k would be some nice buzz words to throw around since even the PS4k will likely not have a ton of 4k gaming content.
Not sure if I'm off base here or if it's just wishful thinking.

Wii Remotes better be compatible. Going back to traditional controls for Pikmin and Metroid Prime would be a huge downgrade.
I think they need to separate themselves from the Wii name at all cost. No need to cause any more confusion. The NX is its own thing.

donny2112

Man GameXplain sure loves creating videos out of NeoGAF rumours

They suck at dissecting the likely legitimacy of rumors, though. They've been gun shy ever since that Rayman SSB fake, and now they're annoyingly gone the other way constantly trying to cover their butts and speaking from ignorance against rumors that seem very, very reasonable in context (e.g. SNES on n3DS leak before the NDirect).

Malus

I'm hoping for a sleek, sexy game pad myself.

Got you covered:
HcbnFczNohNTDD7DbmdDPbrMySXK5rw86UZlSOHjb_zIyrJ0LQG5mXctPaMFuE2IcUor1B1Rx4d1rnxuSqbr-Xhwxr9mWYRt0Ui-UR1njerO4BdBBgphisGdH_OEkbu0uUfNhjh-15cU6Czy8ti_zgPwA9maH5c_rc7vSKFH1JdacXE9l87A6MQ-f8u65NEDPmmRQeWDhZRwkIEfkQ52JDZb5M7hv4PZYAWX0NqbkASb3rSh6NA9bss2peyFSxDe4bKLUkKwfHx06U9qaG2dCGPwqICHdNYB8_vMkuz5rM-bhYKd-b2HfInZbbqOhGK87BevN4TWNFdpa3H45gPe3JYKHvc2xynhZKik6831BjESJF6m3bFLIgZDgul6U13AWnfUDMG6OwL8L-S0qZvUyiJaqRtoKEZNsJQzlusuvISq-RcLUZb06ErLE4fFVwt0f4GkV3MyRBflTvXvUu2XNzEQ3DMHxUSCgo0qd1Kj7rDPw4HhUY8biVSVctcLp180szVJCbnp_JYB7MSCgqOWff-HeOv7xE_Zn0iV6m5Jm_-jdkdTFQTwABz3NxOE7qtA3RYU=w1001-h731-no

No more purple boxes either, no handles, no silly names, just a cutting edge looking system that looks like it means business with a light sprinkle of that Nintendo design aesthetic.

If NX doesn't have a handle I'm done with gaming.

GamerJM

Banned
They suck at dissecting the likely legitimacy of rumors, though. They've been gun shy ever since that Rayman SSB fake, and now they're annoyingly gone the other way constantly trying to cover their butts and speaking from ignorance against rumors that seem very, very reasonable in context (e.g. SNES on n3DS leak before the NDirect).

Tbh, I think most people outside of GAF are pretty gunshy when it comes to rumors in general. We've just seen so many BS rumors over the years, and most people don't realize what GAF's verification process is like.

Whenever I see rumors like this (from GAF, citing GAF as a source) get posted on GameFAQs or Reddit there's a lot more skepticism than here.

They suck at dissecting the likely legitimacy of rumors, though.

I don't think they'd report it they didn't find it somewhat credible.

Tbh, I think most people outside of GAF are pretty gunshy when it comes to rumors in general.

Gaf seems to be the opposite where a lot of posters go all-in (including myself at times) even before verification. It's way too easy to get lost in the rumor hype around like-minded people in a news-starved era

MK_768

It's called being safe. They rarely ever say a rumor is 100% true. Nothing wrong with hedging considering how annoying the internet can be. They are gamers. Gamers who like to speculate and talk about rumors. There is nothing wrong with that and they certainly don't go crazy with rumors.

Also, the SNES leak was not reasonable lmfao. It was a nintendo direct leak. Those don't happen.

Sluggish? Do you mean not as comfortable? Gyro controls are definitely more precise than any twin thumbstick control scheme for shooters imo. Almost close to Keyboard & Mouse on PC.

No I mean its slow in turn speed compared to IR aiming for shooters, not to mention, it may need calibration occasionally. I don't hate gyroscope controls at all. I loved them for wii sports, and even mario kart. But for FSPErs, its an absolute priority to me that they support IR aiminng.

Wii Remotes better be compatible. Going back to traditional controls for Pikmin and Metroid Prime would be a huge downgrade.

Not to mention the inevitable Legend of Zelda:Skyward Sword remaster. if Nintendo just tosses it aside, I'm afraid there weren't be much reason for devs to use it. I hope Treyarch still does support wiimote play, if we do get compatibility. I feel fairly confident if NX does come out this holiday season, we will get IW's CoD.

Going back to the 4k portable uprez games, here's SS on Dolphin at 4k
That's a Wii game though I'd imagine a NX handheld game wouldn't be much more technically demanding.
Would people be content just getting a lot of games from Nintendo that look like that?
I think they might.
Having a lot of 4k content might be a selling point even if they look like Wii games in HD.
Theoretically, I guess you could also make those games VR compatible with NX.
This is how I would see an a shared library not completely disappointing users if they make a considerable amount of content for it.
Would make this quote from Miyamoto make more sense:

Make the new pikmin for the handheld and allow it to run at 4k on the console.
If Zelda's a console exclusive it wouldn't run at 4k.
Make the handheld titles more stylized (admittedly, not a good example if we're using pikmin) and I think the result would be pretty pleasing like Wind Waker or Skyward Sword in HD.
Games like Mario/kart, DKCR, Kirby, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, etc would probably translate over well.
I also think that having these games in 4k would be some nice buzz words to throw around since even the PS4k will likely not have a ton of 4k gaming content.
Not sure if I'm off base here or if it's just wishful thinking.
Holy shit.. Skyward sword looks amazing in 1080p!!!

Tbh, I think most people outside of GAF are pretty gunshy when it comes to rumors in general. We've just seen so many BS rumors over the years, and most people don't realize what GAF's verification process is like.

Whenever I see rumors like this (from GAF, citing GAF as a source) get posted on GameFAQs or Reddit there's a lot more skepticism than here.

That thread in r/game is exactly like this.

Pinky

Banned
This is kind of what I'm leaning towards. It would also give them an opportunity to rebrand the wiimote as an NX product.

That's what I'm thinking. Release a completely redesigned wiimote/nunchuk-type controller for NX, but don't brand it under the Wii name(obviously). They could call it N-Motion or something.

donny2112

I'm a little confused about your mention of Star Fox. If you simply hook your headphones into your gamepad then you get all audio (combined TV and gamepad audio). Of course that doesn't help with the fact you need to keep you eyes on both the gamepad screen and the TV to get the "full" experience, but audio-wise you can get the full package out of your gamepad :)

Wasn't speaking of Star Fox with the audio bug part. Was speaking of a DL game that had a bug where you couldn't hear sound on the GamePad. (That one with the girl protagonist that was a little like Zelda and had you eating real hearts for health.) I had the option of turning on the TV and playing it that way, but I so prefer Off-TV gaming that I just dealt with no sound instead! :lol

Mouse & KB > Pointer aiming >> gyro-assisted dual analogs >> dual analogs.

In general, I agree. But gyro assisted aim has its place too. I don't think Splatoon would have worked as well without it, and Star Fox wouldn't work either since the cursor is partially tied to movement (unless they decided to go straight-up S&P with the gameplay)

Meesh

If NX doesn't have a handle I'm done with gaming.
Oh yew :3

I just can't help gushing over what a new Metroids gonna look like, how expansive Zelda will be, how connected we could be through Animal Crossing, the sky's the limit with this beast...there's never been a longer wait for E3, including Wiis reveal. It's like Christmas is coming but I'm already lit up and ready to go!

Crono27

In general, I agree. But gyro assisted aim has its place too. I don't think Splatoon would have worked as well without it, and Star Fox wouldn't work either since the cursor is partially tied to movement

I played w.o gyro and had no issues. And this is someone who hates using a controller for shooters compared to mouse and keyboards

Having Wii Remotes compatible with the NX or whatever the console is called is not going to confuse consumers lol
The Gamepad confused customers. I wouldn't take any risks. Let the Wii name die off already. It's like people who want the GameCube controller to come back.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
In general, I agree. But gyro assisted aim has its place too. I don't think Splatoon would have worked as well without it

Certainly TPSes are more suited for dual analogs than FPSes. I would say they are even preferable on some situations to M&KB. But for FPSes is no contest, dual analogs should have never been the preferred input :( .

donny2112

Also, the SNES leak was not reasonable lmfao. It was a nintendo direct leak. Those don't happen.

Everything else around it was reasonable. We've known for years that the 3DS was borderline on handling real VC quality SNES titles and that n3DS didn't have those problems. Yet, they still talked about it as if it was as fake as fake could be. Annoyed me to no end trying to listen to that drivel (and plain ignorance when it came to what the 3DS could/couldn't handle for SNES with typical VC wrapper) with them covering their butts all the time. If you're going to be wrong, be wrong. Stop hedging every other word and spreading FUD out of ignorance! Still like their analysis videos and video reviews, but I've avoided their discussion of rumors since, since each one starts with the same CYB that the NDirect one had throughout.

Yes, the NDirect leak was unprecedented, but there wasn't anything out of sorts from it. It was much more reasonable than a typical fake one, which like to throw in one or two humdingers for fun.

Not a fan at all of what Next Level did with Luigi's Mansion compared to the original. Some aspects were good, but the segmented level design was bad, and made for collecting everything more of a chore than it needed to be. The performance was also pretty lack luster and the slowdown just made things seem janky, especially in 3D. Hopefully that one isn't true. That, or they do a much better job this time around.

The Gamepad confused customers. I wouldn't take any risks. Let the Wii name die off already. It's like people who want the GameCube controller to come back.
The gamepad did not confuse the blue ocean market at all. It was the Wii brand (Wii "U")that confused them.

Certainly TPSes are more suited for dual analogs than FPSes. I would say they are even preferable on some situations to M&KB. But for FPSes is no contest, dual analogs should have never been the preferred input :( .

RE4 Wii Edition was amazing with IR controls for a third person shooter and it really got critical acclaim for it. It was so damn simple too.

Everything else around it was reasonable. We've known for years that the 3DS was borderline on handling real VC quality SNES titles and that n3DS didn't have those problems. Yet, they still talked about it as if it was as fake as fake could be. Annoyed me to no end trying to listen to that drivel (and plain ignorance when it came to what the 3DS could/couldn't handle for SNES with typical VC wrapper) with them covering their butts all the time.

I just looked up the video I think you're talking about? From what I could find they didn't actually discuss the leak at all since they recorded their discussion before the leak happened; they only added a short segment in their Predictions piece at the end about it that was almost entirely opinion-free besides him saying "looks like it's going to happen"

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
RE4 Wii Edition was amazing with IR controls for a third person shooter and it really got critical acclaim for it. It was so damn simple too.

But RE4 is a special (old?) kind of TPS where you can't move while aiming. Is the perfect TPS for pointer aiming imo. Sadly, we didn't had many Gears-style pointer-aiming TPSes. I didn't had the chance to play ScarFace or Godfather Wii to test their aiming, but I would think the advantage over dual analog wouldn't be as great as in FPSes, and gyro aiming would be an acceptable compromise. Revelations controls very good with Gyro controls after all (I haven't played Splatoon).

MK_768

Everything else around it was reasonable. We've known for years that the 3DS was borderline on handling real VC quality SNES titles and that n3DS didn't have those problems. Yet, they still talked about it as if it was as fake as fake could be. Annoyed me to no end trying to listen to that drivel (and plain ignorance when it came to what the 3DS could/couldn't handle for SNES with typical VC wrapper) with them covering their butts all the time. If you're going to be wrong, be wrong. Stop hedging every other word and spreading FUD out of ignorance! Still like their analysis videos and video reviews, but I've avoided their discussion of rumors since, since each one starts with the same CYB that the NDirect one had throughout.

Yes, the NDirect leak was unprecedented, but there wasn't anything out of sorts from it. It was much more reasonable than a typical fake one, which like to throw in one or two humdingers for fun.

That's funny because they've admitted when they've been wrong from their rumor discussions. They did that just recently I think. Come on.

I can't even understand how you thought believing a leak of a direct was reasonable.

MomoQca

Tetsuya Takahashi stated that whatever he does next will probably have "Xeno" as part of the name as a sign his team worked on it. He's also gone on to say that the next game will probably have more philosophical themes and a bigger story compared to Xenoblade X.

I wouldn't quite say these snippets confirm it, but Xenoblade 3 has been mostly implied by all this. That said, I doubt we'll be seeing any news of it until 2017 or so.

Yup, that's more or less what I was saying in my previous post. Monolith Soft wrapped up development for XCX exactly one year ago, so I kinda doubt we'll hear anything about their next project in 2017. 2018 (or even 2019 based on Nintendo's recent trend of revealing and releasing games in the same year) is the more likely outcome.

But anyway, I'm hoping the rumor about new IPs is true. As discussed in another thread, I would like for Nintendo to create an IP similar to Perfect Dark. I have so many fond memories playing that game.

Brand confusion argument against wiimotes is dumb.

This thing will still use Miis and the Miiverse which a lot of people still associated with Wii.

Having controller support is fine.

Not a fan at all of what Next Level did with Luigi's Mansion compared to the original. Some aspects were good, but the segmented level design was bad, and made for collecting everything more of a chore than it needed to be. The performance was also pretty lack luster and the slowdown just made things seem janky, especially in 3D. Hopefully that one isn't true. That, or they do a much better job this time around.
Yeah.. On one hand I think its NLG.... on the second hand I feel like they made the game into a handheld version. If its console they may do it how tokyo did it.

Malus

Yup, that's more or less what I was saying in my previous post. Monolith Soft wrapped up development for XCX exactly one year ago, so I kinda doubt we'll hear anything about their next project in 2017. 2018 (or even 2019 based on Nintendo's recent trend of revealing and releasing games in the same year) is the more likely outcome.

But anyway, I'm hoping the rumor about new IPs is true. As discussed in another thread, I would like for Nintendo to create an IP similar to Perfect Dark. I have so many fond memories playing that game.

I hope they reveal it at E3 instead of a direct. Imagine if X's reveal trailer was at e3 2013? People would look back on it a lot more fondly.

Malus

Yeah.. On one hand I think its NLG.... on the second hand I feel like they made the game into a handheld version. If its console they may do it how tokyo did it.

I don't think the Tokyo studio did Luigi's Mansion.

edit:Back to back posts. There's a good 3 minutes between this one and the last one. Come on guys, don't go losing ur hype.

killroy87

If that new slate of rumors holds some truth, that's super exciting. Especially regarding the power of the system.

I wish some details would rise up regarding multiplayer. Really curious how this'll be handling it

But RE4 is a special (old?) kind of TPS where you can't move while aiming. Is the perfect TPS for pointer aiming imo. Sadly, we didn't had many Gears-style pointer-aiming TPSes. I didn't had the chance to play ScarFace or Godfather Wii to test their aiming, but I would think the advantage over dual analog wouldn't be as great as in FPSes, and gyro aiming would be an acceptable compromise. Revelations controls very good with Gyro controls after all (I haven't played Splatoon).

Most definitely. It's one of Wii's earlier titles to use shooting with IR controls on the wiimote, and they decided not to make Leon move like the GC and PS2 versions.

Meesh

So if this is real how many day 1ers have reconsidered.... Ha! This console unveiling will be glorious.
Glorious indeed, about as glorious as this legendary thread. If anything I need this newfangled NX now more than evah!!

Goodnight you princes of speculation, you kings of NX! XD

donny2112

That's funny because they've admitted when they've been wrong from their rumor discussions. They did that just recently I think. Come on.

They're not evil. Yes, they admit when they're wrong. They're just stupid about what they assume is wrong.

I can't even understand how you thought believing a leak of a direct was reasonable.

Because we've gotten some very big leaks this Spring that we haven't seen in years. Don't know if it's Iwata's passing or what, but Nintendo is not the water-tight organization it has been in years past. It's a failure of imagination to believe that a Nintendo leak is fake just because it's extensive. It's usually possible to figure out if a leak is fake by the content.

I just looked up the video I think you're talking about? From what I could find they didn't actually discuss the leak at all since they recorded their discussion before the leak happened; they only added a short segment in their Predictions piece at the end about it that was almost entirely opinion-free besides him saying "looks like it's going to happen"

Just reviewed that video, and you're correct. I know there was some legitimate sounding rumor (that turned out to be correct) that they were dragging through the mud that pissed me off in how they handled it, but it must not have been the SNES one.

watershed

Banned
These latest rumors sound good except for the 2nd screen stuff. I just don't find it very interesting and if this enhanced remote play is still limited enough to not be a full handheld experience then I really just don't get it. Remote play, which is kind of cool but not full gaming on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom