• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor- Pedro Pascal walked off mandalorian

NeoGiffer

This isn't the way.....

2hdg14.gif

dorkimoe

Just an FYI. I marked it rumor which has its own tag. Just thought it would be a good discussion

also, how dare some of you. This dude is a fantastic actor, and his voice now is perfect.
Disney should have never casted a star in the role then it wouldn’t have mattered

JimiNutz

Banned
If true, fuck him.
I'm sure they can find someone else that sounds similar to walk around in the armour and the audience won't notice a thing.

Everyone knows the real stars of the show are the Child and Gina Corano's tits anyway.

If true I understand where he's coming from. He's thinking this could be his iron man and if it is, he's losing tons of potential money from not having the face recognition from a huge role.

The star wars rumor mill is always overflowing and most of it is bullshit but this sounds pretty probable

Droxcy

They should've never took his mask off to begin with he's fugly lol. But he's insane to throw a bitch fit about not having his likeness shown like dude, they told you when you started filming this series and the character never takes the shit off. About to get killed off and have someone take his place..

MrMephistoX

I mean to be fair the never take off the helmet shtick is new: Mandos had their helmets off all the time in Attack of the Clones, Clone Wars and Rebels including one of the lead characters.

Fbh

Source: trust me bro.

Anyway, IF true hopefully they just replace him.

Claiming that he is replaceable just because you don't see his face is stupid as fuck. Imitating his voice isn't the same as performing as well as he does. Get a clue, GAF. Jesus.
His performance is supposed to be noteworthy ?.
What scene of the first season , in your opinion, has some top tier acting from him that would be hard to replicate?

quickwhips

If true I understand where he's coming from. He's thinking this could be his iron man and if it is, he's losing tons of potential money from not having the face recognition from a huge role.

The star wars rumor mill is always overflowing and most of it is bullshit but this sounds pretty probable
Karl urban dread says otherwise.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
"Pedro Pascal he/him".

I'm out.

Ugh. I fucking hate people like that so much. How ignorant, egocentric, self absorbed and retarded do you have to be to feel the need to announce your dumbass pronoun bullshit. Fuck celebrities, fuck people on social media. Fuck.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I found the voice acting in season 1 sounded poor and disconnected from the action on screen.
They Might as well replace him a talented voice actor if that is what it comes to.
I understand him wanting to be seen, he has his career to think about. Yes, he is risking it by playing stubborn here, but this could be his shot.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Yea this is incredible dumb on his side, its probably gg for his career at this point. The 5 seconds his face was in the picture can easily be removed and changed and he will basically culled from the entire series without effort.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Claiming that he is replaceable just because you don't see his face is stupid as fuck. Imitating his voice isn't the same as performing as well as he does. Get a clue, GAF. Jesus.
Yes... Never ever ever has an actor been replaced by another with something justifying it on a movie/series...
In this case is even easier, since its just the voice (ex: explosion damaged the vocal chords), no need to go full on body transplant or crazy surgery.

Flintty

Calling bullshit in this one. Rumour from a clout chaser, in an article that looks like it was written by a 5 year old.

And his acting skills were pretty decent, being able to convey mood and emotion through slight head movements and voice tones in lieu of being able to see his face.

Compsiox

Banned
Even if it is apart of the lore I think it's still pretty convienent for Disney cause that'd definitely make him super easy to replace.

The eyes of a young Bilbo Baggins.
The Cheeks of the bravest hobbit to ever lived Samwise.
The mouth and nose each resemble the dashing duo of the Fools of a Took.
Bad Strider Hair Day.
Tattered Frodo cloak.
I see it. And now you do too.

zrt18Ek.jpg

Oh and Smeagols eyes of sadness due to his precious not being in his possession...helmet.

Not Pictured: Pedro Pascal leaving a role that could have meant many years of steady and lucrative work on one of the few bright spots that have eked out an existence that is the 5 mile deep void of the Port-a-Toilet that has dominated the Star Wars series as of late.

(I own an xbox 360+ kinect because I love Star wars Kinect. I'm han solo.)

Nothing will ever beat this

what the FUCK. ARE YOU. DOING.

Is there any justification for that? Or was that what it sounded like: a grown man acting like an entitled fucking baby because someone was walking relatively close to where he was doing his job?

MastaKiiLA

FWIW, Pedro put up a rather shaky defense of the accusations that he wants to show his face.

Personally, I was disappointed in the face reveals this season. Last season? No problem with it. Given the situation, it was a necessity. This season, it felt more gratuitous. Force scenario the first time, given what transpired later. Then the second time, it was touching but unnecessary. It was setup with Bo Katan's character's comments and actions, but still not necessary. Love it or leave it, Bobba Fett lore kinda setup the general impression that a mandalorian's identity is a sacred secret. The first season reinforced that. I don't know how easily they can go back to reasserting that his identity must remain secret at all costs now, but I hope they try. We know what he looks like at this point, so no need to show it further. This is the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 888

MastaKiiLA

Imagine caring about this nerd shit. Could never be me
I actually hate the Star Wars movies, but have watched all of them at least twice. The original trilogy more times than I can count. Weird fixation. My issue with The Mandalorian (which is legitimately fun to watch), is that you don't establish rules that strict, and then break them on multiple occasions, without strong reasons for it. That's like a basic rule of universe-building. It delegitimizes the universe you've built.

EDIT: I also read 2 of the 3 original Bobba Fett books, as my AP English teacher had them in her library. The Mandalorian Armor and Slave Ship. I have Hard Merchandise, but kinda fell out of reading books a decade or so ago.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I actually hate the Star Wars movies, but have watched all of them at least twice. The original trilogy more times than I can count. Weird fixation. My issue with The Mandalorian (which is legitimately fun to watch), is that you don't establish rules that strict, and then break them on multiple occasions, without strong reasons for it. That's like a basic rule of universe-building. It delegitimizes the universe you've built.

EDIT: I also read 2 of the 3 original Bobba Fett books, as my AP English teacher had them in her library. The Mandalorian Armor and Slave Ship. I have Hard Merchandise, but kinda fell out of reading books a decade or so ago.

It's not like the show devoted two episode to that "strict" rule before he took his mask off this season or anything.

Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars

MastaKiiLA

It's not like the show devoted two episode to that "strict" rule before he took his mask off this season or anything.

Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars
They did, but felt more out of necessity to explain the levity they were going to take with ensuing episodes. I think it would have felt more organic if the exception was introduced in Season 1, even if in passing. Season 1 reinforced the rule on multiple occasions, and the one exception was in a very dire situation, where the penalty could be excused. This season? Not so much.

Don't get me wrong, like you, I shrugged it off. But I can see how some of the more fanatical viewers were unable to let it go. I disagreed with it strictly from a directorial/writing standpoint. Timing and process were not elegant at all IMO.

ManaByte

Gold Member
They did, but felt more out of necessity to explain the levity they were going to take with ensuing episodes. I think it would have felt more organic if the exception was introduced in Season 1, even if in passing. Season 1 reinforced the rule on multiple occasions, and the one exception was in a very dire situation, where the penalty could be excused. This season? Not so much.

Don't get me wrong, like you, I shrugged it off. But I can see how some of the more fanatical viewers were unable to let it go. I disagreed with it strictly from a directorial/writing standpoint. Timing and process were not elegant at all IMO.

No, it was purposely done for the story.

1. Bo Katan and the other Mando's refer to him as one of them. Explaining why Mandos in Clone Wars would remove their helmets and he wouldn't. He was raised by religious fanatics.
2. Mayfeld tells him that a belief is only strong enough until things get messy and everyone will disregard their belief when the cause is important enough. The Child was more important to Din than any religious fundamentalism the Children of the Watch indoctrinated him with.

It was done for the story, The Child and him, and not because of any bullshit rumor a YouTuber who hates Disney because they were fired by them made up for monetized video views.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

No, it was purposely done for the story.

1. Bo Katan and the other Mando's refer to him as one of them. Explaining why Mandos in Clone Wars would remove their helmets and he wouldn't. He was raised by religious fanatics.
2. Mayfeld tells him that a belief is only strong enough until things get messy and everyone will disregard their belief when the cause is important enough. The Child was more important to Din than any religious fundamentalism the Children of the Watch indoctrinated him with.

It was done for the story, The Child and him, and not because of any bullshit rumor a YouTuber who hates Disney because they were fired by them made up for monetized video views.
#1 makes me think. Like I said, I'm not a Star Wars fan, I'm actually a Trekky (yes, gaze upon me with disdain). So I haven't actually learned all the lore. If Clone Wars established lore for the mandalorians, then I defer to that. I wish the first season had established this more clearly. Season 2's Bo Katan episodes are the only time we learn this distinction between the foundlings and the rest of the race.

With this knowledge, I find the directorial/writing decisions to be less of an issue. I generally hate any movie or show that requires you to dig into lore that isn't explained in what you're actively watching, so there's still that. But what you said makes sense in the scope of the series. I appreciate that explanation.

#2 was part of my previous comments regarding the forced nature of the change, but you've covered that well with #1.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I remember Rian Johnson also using the “it was done for the story” excuse to explain away his shitfuck movie plots.

Not impressed with Mando. Some nostalgia heavily padded with filler. Kind of funny to me seeing people claiming “Star Wars is back”. Yes they said it for TFA too.

Last edited:

sol_bad

They were hard with the rule in season 1 as they primarily stuck with Djin. We can only assume the other Mandos in season 1 were members of the cult as well.

Bo Katan is an established character and if you haven't seen the Clone Wars cartoon you should check it out.
:)

-Arcadia-

Banned
K. Guess I’ll post that again, since random unclickable spoiler tags appeared everywhere.

I have zero problem with how the mask removals were handled.

Both were for love of the child, and made complete sense. The first would have seen Grogu lost to imprisonment and being medically experimented on for his entire life, or until disposal. The second was saying goodbye, and one of the most touching moments I’ve seen in film or TV for years. That he meant that much to him. It’s an incredible character moment.

Also seconding that Pedro, despite being a dipshit, does an incredible job with the subtle mannerisms in this series. Imbuing emotion and expression onto an actual walking suit of armor is not an easy thing to do.

gatti-man

I was replying to greasy caveman but the quote didn’t make the post somehow
So then why even click on the thread. To cling on nerd nuts? Gtfo

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
FWIW, Pedro put up a rather shaky defense of the accusations that he wants to show his face.

Personally, I was disappointed in the face reveals this season. Last season? No problem with it. Given the situation, it was a necessity. This season, it felt more gratuitous. Force scenario the first time, given what transpired later. Then the second time, it was touching but unnecessary. It was setup with Bo Katan's character's comments and actions, but still not necessary. Love it or leave it, Bobba Fett lore kinda setup the general impression that a mandalorian's identity is a sacred secret. The first season reinforced that. I don't know how easily they can go back to reasserting that his identity must remain secret at all costs now, but I hope they try. We know what he looks like at this point, so no need to show it further. This is the way.

Nah I don’t agree. The 2 seasons with the helmet was good enough. I liked that he was willing to give up his faith for grogu. Also Pedro a great actor. Amazing in game of thrones. The most bad ass gay/bi character I’ve ever seen in film.

Top Bottom