• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) Rockstar jumping ship??

From the Renderware to Unreal Engine? :D

One user on the PS3 board (who's posted good stuff before), has said:

SFLUFAN said:
The big unconfirmed news coming out of the The Edinburgh Interactive Entertainment Festival is that Rockstar Games has purchased the Unreal 3 engine for an upcoming, unnamed title. No official announcement from either Rockstar or Epic has been made as yet but once it happens, I'll be sure to let you guys know!

Hey, it's a slow news day and the f***ing NPD's late, so there you go.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I'd almost guarantee they're not using Renderware for their next gen game. The fact that EA owns it means they would be paying royalties or a pretty massive sum to their biggest compeititor. They have to pursue another route. Don't know if UE3 makes the most sense, but it seems to be the most full-featured competitor's product out there.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I guess it depends on the game...

They should just attempt to recruit the now defunct Wreckless/Double Steal team for their next generation engine. The technology those guys produced was absolutely amazing.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I THOUGHT THIS THREAD WAS ABOUT ROCKSTAR JUMPING SHIP FROM THIRD PARTY PUBLISHER TO THIRD PARTY PUBLISHER

hooo

boooy
Isn't Unreal 3 on PC, 360, and PS3? By jumping ship do you mean a game of musical chairs? It wouldn't be a shock to see the next GTA game come out on 360 first followed asap by the PS3 release and later on by the PC after the PC hardware market has had a chance to catch up to the consoles.

Edit: dooh, cursed inflammatory thread title.

bitwise said:
wtf does the title mean?

Wow, didn't realize your and Sporks avatars were so similar.

GTA has used the Renderware for all 3 of it's iterations. However, moving over to Unreal is pretty much the final straw as to 3rd party use for the Renderware engine since EA bought it. I don't know that we've heard of a single game (outside of EA's) that will continue to use it, while we've seen Unreal sign publisher after publisher, developer after developer to their engine.

Here's the actual website that reported it (pretty much 3rd hand, so grain of salt):

http://www.actiontrip.com/index.phtml#Edins

Edinburgh Games Festival: Rockstar Purchases Unreal 3 Engine for Future Title
06:51 am EDT @ August 12th, 2005

Got an e-mail last night from a guy whose brother attended The Edinburgh Interactive Entertainment Festival (it seems that he sent this same e-mail to a few more news sites). Apparently, the festival is getting some major backing from NVIDIA and Epic Games, and as some of you may know, Rockstar is from Scotland.

The big news to come out of the festival is that Rockstar have purchased the Unreal 3 Engine for a future title, though no official announcements have been made yet. Another thing is that Epic has once again reminded everyone that they've chosen the Swiss-made NovodeX Physics SDK over the Havok engine; something that they have officially announced quite some time ago.

Naturally, "Gears of War" will also be powered by the NovodeX engine, and, as some of you may recal, those are the guys that plan to make dedicated physics cards that will take the load off the GPU by doing all the physics calculations. "Gears of War" and the next Unreal game will have support for this technology.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
SantaCruZer said:
kinda annoying eh

mine's better anyway

in the words of the immortal michael bolton

"Why should i have to change? He's the one that sucks"

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This is getting nuts, I bet I could make a living with just their employee bonuses. Is there an empty chair at Epic? I'll work for food and benefits.

Razoric

Banned
Funky Papa said:
This is getting nuts, I bet I could make a living with just their employee bonuses. Is there an empty chair at Epic? I'll work for food and benefits.

I was thinking the same thing. It's time for mark rein to build one of these:

moneybin.jpg

bitwise

Banned
sp0rsk said:
mine's better anyway

in the words of the immortal michael bolton

"Why should i have to change? He's the one that sucks"

how am I not surprised that you listen to michael bolton.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Funky Papa said:

seriously. I think Cliffy B needs to send a big fucking "thank you" note to EA for purchasing renderware.

hmmmm. ok. and now? Is all over?

The thread title made me think about two things:

1) OMG they are going to put their games first on Xbox 360 and only later on on PS3.
2) OMG they are leaving Take 2 and go to EA or whoever.

But never, I repeat NEVER, I would have thought about what engine they are going to use in their next games. Well, maybe it was because I was pretty sure about which engine they were going to use. Next gen will be for Unreal 3 Engine what this gen was for Renderware. I'm pretty sure of this.

Are Epic shares sold publicly? Maybe it's a good time to buy some stock from them. :D

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The avatars of Bitwise, Sp0rsk, Razoric...in the same thread....I'm going to have a seizure.

Also, nice thread title. So vague, yet oh so intriguing....

TheDiave

Banned
Totally misleading topic... I expected to see something about them deciding to support X360 or something instead of PS3.

But anyway, interesting choice... Although I'm curious how they'll adapt the visuals to UE3, if it turns out to be the next-gen GTA they're working on with it.

Thats just great.... fucking hate the Unreal 3 Engine...

pretty soon every game is gonna look like its made of cheap fucking plastic ><

BURN IN HELL UE3 !!!

Razoric

Banned
Nobiru said:
Thats just great.... fucking hate the Unreal 3 Engine...

pretty soon every game is gonna look like its made of cheap fucking plastic ><

BURN IN HELL UE3 !!!

Um you do realize they can stylize the graphics any way they want right?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
:lol :lol :lol

I love you SCB. I bet you had a bunch of Xbots frothing at the mouth (and an equal number of Sony people shaking in their boots) with that title.

sangreal

JC10001 said:
:lol :lol :lol

I love you SCB. I bet you had a bunch of Xbots frothing at the mouth with that title.

er, GTA was on every platform but the GC. The only place they could jump ship to would be Nintendo :)

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
sangreal said:
er, GTA was on every platform but the GC. The only place they could jump ship to would be Nintendo :)

Yeah, that's rich. Like anyone would believe that Nintendo could garner any kind of 3rd party support from R*. ;)

Amir0x

Banned
sangreal said:

I think the optimal result from this thread for "Xbots" would be a reversal of roles - many months exclusive for Xbox 360, then release to PS3 later.

Thraktor

The decision makes perfect sense to me. I really don't know why they stayed with RenderWare for so long (well, I do, and it's that they could release 3 virtually identical games per generation). Unreal 3 Engine with some nice next-gen Havok physics will do very well indeed, so long as the Unreal 3 Engine doesn't suffer from the same fate as the Doom 3 engine, resulting in every game made with it looking exactly the same. Although, to be honest, the U3E tech demos and Gears of War have me slightly worried.

Razoric said:
Um you do realize they can stylize the graphics any way they want right?

Really? so everyone who uses the engine just chooses for it to look like shit? :p

thats good to know...i guess 0.o?

Seriously though, i didnt know that, i figured the shinny shit was just part of the engine, since every game that uses it seems to have it. Even in games i love like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, only half the time did the engine look right, Sam in his wet suit looked great, but the faces of just about everyone looked like ass in that game, i had the same problem with Halo 2 ( dont know if it uses the UE3 engine though :p) .....as far as i know, my real problem is with Normal mapping, aparently its normal mapping that causes the shiny rubber effect, but again i have no idea, and im probably wrong :p

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"The big unconfirmed news coming out of the The Edinburgh Interactive Entertainment Festival is that Rockstar Games has purchased the Unreal 3 engine for an upcoming, unnamed title. No official announcement from either Rockstar or Epic has been made as yet but once it happens, I'll be sure to let you guys know!"

GTA still undecided
UE3 is for both PS3 and X360
GTA still undecided
R* working on a new project for one of those platforms above that ISN'T GTA
GTA still undecided
You wont see GTA on either platform for a good year or so
*FLASHING NEON* GTA STILL UNDECIDED *FLASHING NEON*

DCharlie said:
GTA still undecided
UE3 is for both PS3 and X360
GTA still undecided
R* working on a new project for one of those platforms above that ISN'T GTA
GTA still undecided
You wont see GTA on either platform for a good year or so
*FLASHING NEON* GTA STILL UNDECIDED *FLASHING NEON*
I'm sure it's been decided, we just don't know yet.

Top Bottom