• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: RTX 50 series flagship model will have 24 GB GDDR7 with 28 Gbps speed and 512-bit interface

wait a sec, nvidia does the same again. I though 8GB cards are a thing of the past at least for the next generation of video cards.

Don't know why you would think that. The 8 GB cards are basically the entry level ones. That might get bumped to 12 when 3 GB chips come along.

wait a sec, nvidia does the same again. I though 8GB cards are a thing of the past at least for the next generation of video cards. So the next generation is lost again ... but I guess nvidia doesn't really want to go bigger in consumer pc market. The big chips are more or less reserved for AI cards.

What's wrong with offering a budget option? Toyota has a wide range from city cars to pickups. Doesn't make them greedy.

Schmendrick

Resorting to personal attacks is against this forums rules. You are coming off as angry and emotional, which makes discussion with you pointless.

I will simply say, I buy what I want because I can easily afford it. Spending is not an emotional decision for me.
So you went from a nonsense general apologism that does fit neither Nvidia's nor TSMC's numbers in the slightest to moving the goalposts across half the continent to " bUt I CAn aFforD it".
Short Hint: even if people can afford to get fucked only a very "special" few make up excuses for the ones fucking them.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Last edited:
Pushing the envelope? Compare Doom to Half-life and realise there was only 5 years between them...
Well, I played Doom with 66MHz 486 with no graphics accelerator, Half-Life with 266 MHz AMD K6 with 3Dfx Voodoo 3 graphics accelerator. Huge performance difference there…

The semiconductor industry is developing much slower now, but feature wise Nvidia is pushing the envelope. Ray-tracing, AI upscaling, frame generation etc.

Last edited:

Danknugz

Well, I played Doom with 66MHz 486 with no graphics accelerator, Half-Life with 266 MHz AMD K6 with 3Dfx Voodoo 3 graphics accelerator. Huge performance difference there…

The semiconductor industry is developing much slower now, but feature wise Nvidia is pushing the envelope. Ray-tracing, AI upscaling, frame generation etc.
In my opinion with gaming the paradigm has shifted due to dininishinng returns in both rasterized and ray traces graphics. Nvidia is considered pushing the envelope due to providing the chips for AI, video games are just a side thought. Any real advancements in how people enjoy gaming is going to have to come from developers and people who are actually creative and authentic, not just more horsepower.

Last edited:

SmokSmog

Gaming blackwell will use the same process as server B100 so 5nm+ aka N4 or what Nvidia calls it 4NP. So it will probably be 800mm2~.

Rumor is that GB202 will be 512bit for the full die.
5090 can be 512bit with 32GB GDDR7 28Gb/s
or cut down to 480bit 30GB or 448bit 28GB.

Xyphie

GDDR7 has option for asymmetric densities. So 3GB chips are possible, though mostly for super refresh next year.

Lowest density GDDR7 chips will be 16Gbit, and 512-bit would need 16 of those, so a total of 32GB minimum if it uses the full bus.

nkarafo

I just hope the "60" card of that generation to be worth it this time.

3060 12GB is the last worthy model but it's still too expensive at 300$. The 4060 series are the worst value cards ever released. Imagine paying 300$ for an 8GB VRAM/128bit bus or 500$ for 16GB but also with 4060 level of performance.

5060 needs to be 12GB/192bit at least and close to non-ti 4070 performance at 300$ or it's a bust.

peish

Gaming blackwell will use the same process as server B100 so 5nm+ aka N4 or what Nvidia calls it 4NP. So it will probably be 800mm2~.

Rumor is that GB202 will be 512bit for the full die.
5090 can be 512bit with 32GB GDDR7 28Gb/s
or cut down to 480bit 30GB or 448bit 28GB.

🙏 Master Jen please be generous and give us a $1999 5090 with 480bit 30GB

Hail Master, that is all we ask for.

Ev1L AuRoN

24GB will definitely be 384bit. I don't think there are 3 or 6gb chip modules. For a 512bit bus, the card needs to have at least 16gb or 32gb and so on...

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
People asking for 32GB... have we saturated 24GB, yet? I can honestly say, I haven't, personally. With 24GB going even faster, I am thinking it wasn't even worth the bump in capacity.
That said, going from a 3090 to a 5090 is going to the cutoff point. Meaning, this entire PC is as it is and the next time will be an upgrade in the form of an entirely new PC I believe we are looking at minimum 2k for this thing, during this tumultuous world economy.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
People asking for 32GB... have we saturated 24GB, yet? I can honestly say, I haven't, personally. With 24GB going even faster, I am thinking it wasn't even worth the bump in capacity.
That said, going from a 3090 to a 5090 is going to the cutoff point. Meaning, this entire PC is as it is and the next time will be an upgrade. I believe we are looking at minimum 2k for this thing, during this tumultuous world economy.
Well, considering the price of the card one would hope it would also last for a while so if we are maxing out 24 GB or not is relevant but also not really in a way…

Diddy X

I just built a 4070 pc and honestly, I don't care about more performance for the moment, gsync makes everything look super fluid plus dlss and frame generation I'm good for a good three years, or until nextgen hits and we really see a leap in demand for more powerful hardware.

Last edited:
Top Bottom