• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: RTX 50 series flagship model will have 24 GB GDDR7 with 28 Gbps speed and 512-bit interface

Nvidia is going full post-Sandy Bridge Intel. Except rather than performance stagnation, it's price and power consumption increases that effectively results in performance stagnation on the low-mid end. A high end GPU like the 5080 should be pushing 24GB to be relevant for a potential PS5 Pro refresh and PS6. I guess you could say we don't need more than 16GB at the moment, but anyone buying one of these cards is going to be upset when its life cycle is short lived. If I were to buy a $1k GPU, I'd want it to be a top performer for the rest of this console generation and strong enough to get me through next-gen without sacrifices.

If I were to buy a $1k GPU, I'd want it to be a top performer for the rest of this console generation and strong enough to get me through next-gen without sacrifices.
no card has ever beefed through 2 console generations unscathed.

plus RT is only going to be used more and more, and even the 5090 will fall unless there's some major processing efficiency breakthrough.

According to the latest behind-the-scenes information, NVIDIA's new flagship card will feature 24 GB of GDDR7 VRAM with a speed of 28 Gbps, a 384-bit bus and a bandwidth of 1536 GB/s.

The new information, released by leaker @kopite7kimi, points to the jump in speed from 21 Gbps in the RTX 4090 to 28 Gbps for the implementation of GDDR7 in NVIDIA's new top of the line, based on the Blackwell architecture. Remember that this new DRAM standard can exceed this barrier, reaching up to 64 Gbit. As for the bus, the new rumors point to 384-bits, instead of the 512-bits initially rumored.

If the rumors are true. The RTX 50 should be configured as follows:
  • GB202 - 512-bit bus, 24 GB VRAM, 1536 GB/s bandwidth;
  • GB203 - 256-bit bus, 16 GB VRAM, 1024 GB/s bandwidth;
  • GB204 - 192-bit bus, 12 GB VRAM, 768 GB/s bandwidth;
  • GB206 - 128-bit bus, 8 GB VRAM, 512 GB bandwidth;
  • GB207 - 128-bit bus, 8 GB VRAM, 512 GB/s bandwidth.

No 32gb?

Fredrik

I love this man :messenger_heart::lollipop_fire:

Invested in Nvda, cant wait for 5090. I skipped 4090 because of the 12vhpw nonsense.
Wasn’t the melting cable just FUD?
I checked my cable and connector with a temp camera, saw nothing worth being concerned about and stopped thinking about it.
Plugged in a new one in a 4080S recently and just made sure to push it in until it clicked.

By the way, we all know why this is happening. Nvidia has a new core market now in making their AI chips that demand significant memory. That, and memory prices have jumped and will continue to increase later this year, into next. Rather than eat into Nvidia's egregious profit margins, they will refuse to increase capacity. Then in a couple years when it threatens their growth/market share (because AMD or Intel undercut them) they'll bump the spec and tout huge performance gains.

The new standard, The only thing I've done with my GPU that has legitimately utilized all that memory was when I ran AI models with Stable diffusion or when I mined crypto.

It's gonna get to the point where GPU becomes seen as more than just a 'gaming thing' by the masses. We just aren't at that stage yet so people will continue to think the price being put on something like this be out of the norm.

DragonNCM

According to the latest behind-the-scenes information, NVIDIA's new flagship card will feature 24 GB of GDDR7 VRAM with a speed of 28 Gbps, a 384-bit bus and a bandwidth of 1536 GB/s.

The new information, released by leaker @kopite7kimi, points to the jump in speed from 21 Gbps in the RTX 4090 to 28 Gbps for the implementation of GDDR7 in NVIDIA's new top of the line, based on the Blackwell architecture. Remember that this new DRAM standard can exceed this barrier, reaching up to 64 Gbit. As for the bus, the new rumors point to 384-bits, instead of the 512-bits initially rumored.

If the rumors are true. The RTX 50 should be configured as follows:
  • GB202 - 512-bit bus, 24 GB VRAM, 1536 GB/s bandwidth;
  • GB203 - 256-bit bus, 16 GB VRAM, 1024 GB/s bandwidth;

There is no game at least next 10 years who will need close to this spec to be played on this GPU, totally waste of money.

There is no game at least next 10 years who will need close to this spec to be played on this GPU, totally waste of money.
I bought the remake of Brothers a tale of two sons. Forget 10 years from now, a remake from a game 10 years OLD is making current hardware struggle.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
dimensing returns for the most part and probably not worth the initial cost this thing is going to cost.

OEqc9E0.jpg

🤷🏼‍♂️

Hudo

Lmao. Offering 8GB VRAM cards post 2022 was already an insult.

Holy fucking hell. Consumers should tell Nvidia to fuck off.

Also, If the 5090 doesn't have 32GB of VRAM, then what is the fucking point of that card even existing?

If these rumors are indeed true then the 5000 series looks like absolute dogshit.

Last edited:
Nvidia is going full post-Sandy Bridge Intel. Except rather than performance stagnation, it's price and power consumption increases that effectively results in performance stagnation on the low-mid end. A high end GPU like the 5080 should be pushing 24GB to be relevant for a potential PS5 Pro refresh and PS6. I guess you could say we don't need more than 16GB at the moment, but anyone buying one of these cards is going to be upset when its life cycle is short lived. If I were to buy a $1k GPU, I'd want it to be a top performer for the rest of this console generation and strong enough to get me through next-gen without sacrifices.
Well you will be disappointed if the ps6 is in at least the same tier as the ps5 was at release then with 7090 releasing at the same time as the ps6 it means rhe ps6 should perform just about a 6080 in rasterization

tkscz

Lmao. Offering 8GB VRAM cards post 2022 was already an insult.

Holy fucking hell. Consumers should tell Nvidia to fuck off.
And yet, the 3060 8GB edition, 1650 4GB and 2060 6GB are the top three GPUs used on Steam right now.

If you don't care about having Ultra settings at 4K, and are fine with medium settings at 1080p, then 8GBs is more than enough for even new games.

Couldn't stand every single Youtube video that came out about 8GBs not being enough but none of them playing the games on lower than Ultra settings.

PC gaming is getting more popular and with that more people will take cheaper hardware that just runs the game, they don't care to run them at the highest settings possible and nvidia will sell GPUs to those people considering those people are starting to outnumber everyone else.

Just hope nvidia doesn't charge a ridiculous amount for it.

Soodanim

Gold Member
At this point the lower end looks like the spec equivalent of nVidia throwing a GPU in the mud at your feet and spitting on you when you dare to kneel down and pick it up.

They're obviously offering a shit low end to encourage the expensive end after 970 and then 1060ti did so well. And look how it has worked. People talk about 4080/4090, but how often do 4070 and 4060 get shout outs?

StereoVsn

16gb on 5080 is a joke. Nvidia insist to not give vram so gpus dies fast.

I will wait with my 4080 for 6080 hope with 32gb vram
Yeah, it’s kind of ridiculous considering this is probably a 2025 release. And you know Nvidia will charge the 32GB price for the thing.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see $1200-1300 again for an 80 series card.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
At this point the lower end looks like the spec equivalent of nVidia throwing a GPU in the mud at your feet and spitting on you when you dare to kneel down and pick it up.

They're obviously offering a shit low end to encourage the expensive end after 970 and then 1060ti did so well. And look how it has worked. People talk about 4080/4090, but how often do 4070 and 4060 get shout outs?
4070 gets attention. 4060 doesn’t when 60 cards have historically been the most popular class. NVIDIA was tired of offering value and has been making them increasingly shittier since Ampere.

Senua

And yet, the 3060 8GB edition, 1650 4GB and 2060 6GB are the top three GPUs used on Steam right now.

If you don't care about having Ultra settings at 4K, and are fine with medium settings at 1080p, then 8GBs is more than enough for even new games.

Couldn't stand every single Youtube video that came out about 8GBs not being enough but none of them playing the games on lower than Ultra settings.

PC gaming is getting more popular and with that more people will take cheaper hardware that just runs the game, they don't care to run them at the highest settings possible and nvidia will sell GPUs to those people considering those people are starting to outnumber everyone else.

Just hope nvidia doesn't charge a ridiculous amount for it.
While there is some truth to that, don't act like it's not Nvidia just being tight as a ducks arsehole to save a buck. They are reselling lower tier cards as higher tier ones because they can get away with it.

Just not in vram :D
I mean, GDDR7 is going to be fast as fuck, not to mention the RTX50 series are on PCIe 5.0. So, I'm sure whatever is lost in quantity we gain in speed. These people build GPU's for a living, they would know more than we would.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I mean, GDDR7 is going to be fast as fuck, not to mention the RTX50 series are on PCIe 5.0. So, I'm sure whatever is lost in quantity we gain in speed. These people build GPU's for a living, they would know more than we would.

As a rule, the improved bandwidth doesn't lesson the need for quantity of memory. This is not the first shift to faster memory we've had.

RayHell

Nvidia clearly doesn't want to hurt their RTX 5000 Ada sales by going for 32GB. I run three RTX 4090 and there's no reason to upgrade for no extra vram.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Only thing i care about is what DLSS 4 is going to offer and if 4000 series support it. If 5000 introduces another form of doubling framerate will probably upgrade again, if not i will wait for the 6000 series.

Top Bottom