• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Zen 4 to feature 25% IPC gain and 40% overall boost over Zen 3

SantaC

Gold Member
Last edited:

DonMigs85

Intel might have a chance if they start using TSMC 5nm as well. But even their latest architecture is slightly behind Zen 3's IPC

martino

Intel might have a chance if they start using TSMC 5nm as well. But even their latest architecture is slightly behind Zen 3's IPC
if i remember well nothing is planed for intel on 5nm tsmc this year (unlike amd)

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Not hard to choose a CPU these days, powerful and cheap, I hope it stays like that.

Arent AMDs new CPUs more expensive than Intels with similar performance at this point?
Especially the 5000 series vs the i5 for gaming its not exactly an easy choice.

Gaming: r5 vs i5.
Productivity: r7 vs i7 both not point ful chips
Dollars: r9 vs i9 I still believe the 3900X is the best bet here.

9 series vs 3000 series yeah it was easy to choose the 3000 series because the savings made sense for the reduced performance
10 series vs 5000 series, its a flip of the coin realistically and bang for buck Intel might actually be leading.
11 series vs 5000 series i5 vs r5 and i7 vs r7 are totally the same shit.

Its good to have choice but it isnt really an easy choice because the CPUs perform very very similarly.

SantaC

Gold Member
Arent AMDs new CPUs more expensive than Intels with similar performance at this point?
Especially the 5000 series vs the i5 for gaming its not exactly an easy choice.

Gaming: r5 vs i5.
Productivity: r7 vs i7 both not point ful chips
Dollars: r9 vs i9 I still believe the 3900X is the best bet here.

9 series vs 3000 series yeah it was easy to choose the 3000 series because the savings made sense for the reduced performance
10 series vs 5000 series, its a flip of the coin realistically and bang for buck Intel might actually be leading.
11 series vs 5000 series i5 vs r5 and i7 vs r7 are totally the same shit.

Its good to have choice but it isnt really an easy choice because the CPUs perform very very similarly.
AMD cpus are more attractive due to a newer process node and wont cause a fire.

Black_Stride

AMD cpus are more attractive due to a newer process node and wont cause a fire.

Well chances are you are gonna buy an expensive cooler anyway if you are buying an i7/r7 or higher so thats not really an issue.
The 10850K and 5800X cost the same and they trade blows with each other performance wise.

I moved to AMD myself but I dont undersell the fact that Intels 10 series is still very much in the race on price and performance.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This will put even more pressure on Intel. AMD clearly has their longterm strategy sorted out already. It's ovah!

True, but unless Apple and others accelerate their ramp-up and thus orders on 5nm, 7nm+ capacity is not cut to give space to 5nm lines, and Zen 4 is not on 5nm... they risk having a great processor and low volumes which is BAD if you want to get big enterprise design wins.

We will see, maybe AMD can invest a bit more in manufacturing: despite their process issues, owning their own fabs is what has saved Intel’s ass for the last 4-5 years to date IMHO... they have high dependable volumes.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
We are all talking about gaming here right?
I have 3700x. It was a big switch from 2500k.
My buddy just got 5800x which is also 20% better ipc than 3700x but absolutely no difference in games.

What's the point if we do not utilize cpu currently? On 3700x rarely I see more than lik 20% of usage

Irobot82

True, but unless Apple and others accelerate their ramp-up and thus orders on 5nm, 7nm+ capacity is not cut to give space to 5nm lines, and Zen 4 is not on 5nm... they risk having a great processor and low volumes which is BAD if you want to get big enterprise design wins.

We will see, maybe AMD can invest a bit more in manufacturing: despite their process issues, owning their own fabs is what has saved Intel’s ass for the last 4-5 years to date IMHO... they have high dependable volumes.
AMD used to have their own fabs. It spun off as Global Foundries years ago because they just couldn't keep up with the R&D. GF is now relegated to like 12nm I think. They are also falling behind.

Erebus

That's nice to hear. Anxiously waiting to see what the Intel 11th gen will have to offer to finally upgrade my Ivy Bridge CPU.

Black_Stride

My buddy just got 5800x which is also 20% better ipc than 3700x but absolutely no difference in games.

What's the point if we do not utilize cpu currently? On 3700x rarely I see more than lik 20% of usage

This happens every few years.

You get CPUs good enough that gen on gen gains are hard to justify till you start doing weird shit like playing at min settings 1080p just to hit that ohh so sweet 240Hz limit.
Ryzen and up playing at 60Hz will gain nothing gen on gen because very good chance you are GPU bound.
Beyond any hitches that might show up id say a 6600K for 60Hz gaming is actually still fine.

The gains being made gen on gen a good portion of the time are for those who play at high refresh rates and/or productivity.
People stuck in peasantville dont need to worry upgrading their CPUs for many many years beyond needing new features like PCIE5/DDR5.

Getting to 100fps is currently doable with an r3 3300.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
AMD used to have their own fabs. It spun off as Global Foundries years ago because they just couldn't keep up with the R&D. GF is now relegated to like 12nm I think. They are also falling behind.

I know I remember how they spun them off and it is quite sad that Global Foundries actually failed to compete with UMC first and TMSC later.

AMD had to divest to save money, but they lost an asset, a trump card Intel is benefiting from as Intel is the only one not called Apple with a decent guaranteed production volume.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

U probably play games that are not cpu dependend or bottlenecking on your GPU.

Go play anno 1800 / they are billions and u will see cpu performance is pretty much very much a thing. However the small increases we see gen over gen aren't much of a upgrade to most people that already upgraded once in the last few years. My next cpu upgrade will be 2-3x the performance of what we got now and all those ryzens and intels aren't doing it they are pretty much rebrands of the same chips.

However its good to see amd pushing intel now, sadly the price jump we saw with the 5000 series doesn't really bode to well for us as ocnsumers.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Go play anno 1800 / they are billions and u will see cpu performance is pretty much very much a thing. However the small increases we see gen over gen aren't much of a upgrade to most people that already upgraded once in the last few years. My next cpu upgrade will be 2-3x the performance of what we got now and all those ryzens and intels aren't doing it they are pretty much rebrands of the same chips.

However its good to see amd pushing intel now, sadly the price jump we saw with the 5000 series doesn't really bode to well for us as ocnsumers.

Hahahaha one of the worst game engines to ever engine in recent years?

You do know that engine basically depends on a single core and offloads very little to other threads and cores.
Its one of the worst ways to "benchmark" a modern CPU. Might as well just run singlecore Cinebench tis why you dont see the game used in too many reviews for anything.....its not a very good engine by modern standards.
So if you want higher framerates in that game a 4 core high IPC chip will outdo even an 8 core 3900X.

Anno-1800-CPU.png

And even as the poster you quoted said.
The gains are practically nill because chances are you get GPU bound before you get CPU in pretty much any game.
AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X-Review-Anno-1800-Benchmark-1080p.png

I am really happy with my 5900x but just curious, when Zen 4 hits will it still be Socket AM4 (will my X570 mobo be compatible?) or will I need to upgrade again. I was thinking a 5900x should have me covered for the next 5 years

Kenpachii

Hahahaha one of the worst game engines to ever engine in recent years?

You do know that engine basically depends on a single core and offloads very little to other threads and cores.
Its one of the worst ways to "benchmark" a modern CPU. Might as well just run singlecore Cinebench tis why you dont see the game used in too many reviews for anything.....its not a very good engine by modern standards.
So if you want higher framerates in that game a 4 core high IPC chip will outdo even an 8 core 3900X.

Anno-1800-CPU.png

And even as the poster you quoted said.
The gains are practically nill because chances are you get GPU bound before you get CPU in pretty much any game.
AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X-Review-Anno-1800-Benchmark-1080p.png

Should probably read what i say mate.

If anno is a good engine or is a engine for modern cpu benchmarks isn't relevant towards what i say.

If you want good performance in games like anno 1800 and they are billions u need tons of cpu power and no matter what gpu you place in it u won't be seeing much difference going forwards ( anno u actually do at higher settings)

also a 3900x = 12 core cpu not 8 core and the benchmark you linked with 47 fps minimums on a 3900x ryzen is laughable. That game hits low 20's on a 9900k at 5ghz no way in hell any of those cpu's sit at those minimums. Probably benched a empty field with 50 buildings on it.

8247488136034068059b62bd86b870f5.jpg

How do i know this, i kinda play those games a lot

58ca545bdbdcca5b64a56fca3b65d6ee.jpg

d8be9a216bf860218e2fd1d3df160c40.png

0c55e4f23f20c7a65bb5302682a71c9a.png

So again i will quote myself

And that's why i also say

Because why bother going from 20 fps to 25 fps? when its still shit? not much, 20 to 40 or 60 fps is actually a solid increase.

Also why do i post this information? because i can see the next reaction already incoming its pretty much like clockwork over here. That a well known website knows it better then a random guy on the internet, yet that random guy on the internet played the game probably a lot more then they ever did after 2k hours probably knows the ins and outs of it right? probably.

Anyway u tried tho.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member

It absolutely will matter for CPU-bound games, eg. games often running in lowe resolutions such as 1080p and 1440p on higher end graphics cards. But it does matter for other things that are gaming related such as streaming, video encoding, compiling etc. I got the 5950x to last me a bit, so if the IPC upswing is that high for next generation, I might be tempted :)

Kazza

I'm confused by by the whole GPU/CPU performance split. For my new PC (whenever the parts are in stock again) I plan to get an RTX3070 and a 1440p/144Hz monitor. So, will keeping the resolution at 1440p and trying to get as close to 144Hz as possible mean that a next ge AMD CPU will be significantly better than a 3700x? I think High settings will be fine for me (I think you get into diminishing returns above that).

Md Ray

IIRC, there's a noticeable difference in WD Legion between 5800X & 3700X, no?

Last edited:

Unknown?

Hopefully both these bastards remove their hidden hardware backdoors. I forogot what AMD calls it but Intel has MINIX OS running at all times, even if the laptop is powered down and you can't easily disable it.

Here's the cpu in cyberpunk

G1uolEp.jpg

The usage of the cpu doesnt indicate its performance. You dont want high cpu usage like a gpu because then you'll lag and stutter. I've always thought that cpu's are undersold in modern gaming and most, nearly all benchmarks for them are poorly done and dont show the real picture. The ingame benchmarks games have are designed almost always to stress the gpu and most times arent even indicative of the ingame performance. Therefore nearly every cpu benchmark you'll ever see is using a gpu stress test and then make claims of cpu performance.

You always want as much cpu performance as possible in order to reach those high framerates, keep the 0.1% high as possible, which means fluid, stutter free gameplay and have enough headroom for when theose specific areas come up in games where the cpu is hammererd.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Here's the cpu in cyberpunk

G1uolEp.jpg

The usage of the cpu doesnt indicate its performance. You dont want high cpu usage like a gpu because then you'll lag and stutter. I've always thought that cpu's are undersold in modern gaming and most, nearly all benchmarks for them are poorly done and dont show the real picture. The ingame benchmarks games have are designed almost always to stress the gpu and most times arent even indicative of the ingame performance. Therefore nearly every cpu benchmark you'll ever see is using a gpu stress test and then make claims of cpu performance.

You always want as much cpu performance as possible in order to reach those high framerates, keep the 0.1% high as possible, which means fluid, stutter free gameplay and have enough headroom for when theose specific areas come up in games where the cpu is hammererd.
yeah I see it.
That said - playing 4k60, I will never be limited by cpu probably aside from cities skylines :p

iHaunter

My next build is going to be AMD. Intel CPUs are an embarrassment.

I still have my i9 9900K which should be good for a while though. But for PCIE4 it'll be AMD unless Intel redesigns architecture.

FireFly

Slightly? Aren't they leading Intel by upwards of 20%?
On the desktop, yes. In the laptop space Zen 3 has a similar IPC to Intel's Tiger Lake architecture, the next version of which will come to desktops this year as Alder Lake.
I'm confused by by the whole GPU/CPU performance split. For my new PC (whenever the parts are in stock again) I plan to get an RTX3070 and a 1440p/144Hz monitor. So, will keeping the resolution at 1440p and trying to get as close to 144Hz as possible mean that a next ge AMD CPU will be significantly better than a 3700x? I think High settings will be fine for me (I think you get into diminishing returns above that).
I think it is easier to think of them as separate workloads. If the GPU can render 144 frames per second at 1440p, you need a CPU that can keep up so the GPU isn't waiting. To get an idea of this you can check out the CPU benchmarks at 1080p, and see how many will hit 144 FPS on a 3700x.

When is AMD and OEMs gonna have RDNA 2 based APUs for desktop/laptops with:

-4K HDR+ 120hz Refresh rate with AMD Freesync2
-Multiple USB 4.0 Ports
-DDR5 RAM
-PCIE 5.0
-Bluetooth 5.2
-Wifi6E

:messenger_face_steam:

Top Bottom