• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumors of a possible acquisition of CD Projekt Red by Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varteras

Gold Member
I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Yoboman

Gold Member
It's true, I was in the room. CD Projekt accepted unlimited supply of salted peanuts and a quick handy from Herman

Flutta

Banned
By just a random guy with no credibility?

Or is he even someone we should pay attention to?
That’s usually the case with 4ch leaks. People with no credibility sometimes have real info 🤷‍♂️

This shit appearing again… i’m not so sure if it’s fake anymore.

Also Sony should’ve acquired CD when their value hit rockbottom during the CP77 release. Not sure what their value is atm tho.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That’s usually the case with 4ch leaks. People with no credibility sometimes have real info 🤷‍♂️

This shit appearing again… i’m not so sure if it’s fake anymore.

Also Sony should’ve acquired CD when their value hit rockbottom during the CP77 release. Not sure what their value is atm tho.
Last year there was a lot of smoke about Sony x CDPR. Even I'm on record predicting that this will happen (it is just one of those things that makes sense, like SquareEnix x PS, but of course that isn't a guarantee that it will happen).

Let's see. Though I don't necessarily think Sony needs to buy anyone. I think their next investment will be / should be in mobile games.

P.S. This isn't from 4Chan. This particular rumor is from a YouTuber that I linked above (Twitter profile). (I don't believe this one though).

The following image is very interesting and well done, however 😛

Og4nTjK.png

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The only company who released a product so bad that Sony had to remove it from the Playstation store, make a global announcement apologizing to everyone and give out refunds.

Yeah, I'm sure Sony is really interested in that.

Flutta

Banned
Last year there was a lot of smoke about Sony x CDPR. Even I'm on record predicting that this will happen (it is just one of those things that makes sense, like SquareEnix x PS, but of course that isn't a guarantee that it will happen).

Let's see. Though I don't necessarily think Sony needs to buy anyone. I think their next investment will be / should be in mobile games.

P.S. This isn't from 4Chan. This particular rumor is from a YouTuber that I linked above (Twitter profile). (I don't believe this one though).

The following image is very interesting and well done, however 😛

Og4nTjK.png

Interesting. Sony seems keen on making that PC money and CD got GoG that means they keep everything instead of only relying on steam where they have to share some of the earnings.

I also think Sony want’s to expand their earning pipeline and the best way to do it is through PC. Basically wanting a bigger slice of the pie.

4Chan was just an example of unknown leakers having legit leaks because people where saying he’s a nobody. Well you have to start somewhere 🤣

Last edited:
The only company who released a product so bad that Sony had to remove it from the Playstation store, make a global announcement apologizing to everyone and give out refunds.

Sony had to remove it from the Playstation store Cyberpunk 2077 for PS4.

Denton

Sony ain't buying CDP, but this is completely irrelevant to that. It's business, Sony does not hold a "grudge" because they once took a game down to avoid dealing with refunds.

kuncol02

Banned
Doubt it but I could see Sony buying them not just for their studio but to opt in the PC marketplace via GoG.
Whole point of existence of GoG is to be DRM free. It's polar opposite of philosophy of company that was installing rootkits on computers of people who bought their music.
If Sony buys CDP then GoG is dead.

Three

Source: random guy on Twitter

When will people realise that mergers like this WILL NOT LEAK BEFOREHAND?
You can't buy publicly traded company and not tell anybody for several days/weeks/months.
Didn't this happen with Bluepoint though? You can plan to buy but you can't have bought them already but not tell anyone.

Godot25

Banned
Didn't this happen with Bluepoint though? You can plan to buy but you can't have bought them already but not tell anyone.
Bluepoint is not publicly traded company.
That's the difference. Obsidian and Playground also leaked in advance, but the difference is that you can buy private company and then make announcement suit your timetable (like Microsoft waiting for E3 despite they already owned PG by the time they announced purchase).
If you are buying publicly traded company there is a process that needs to be followed because...it is publicly traded company.

Last edited:

nowhat

Gold Member
It's true, I was in the room. CD Projekt accepted unlimited supply of salted peanuts and a quick handy from Herman
I was there also, and you are blatantly lying.

That handy took at least 15 minutes, so it was hardly quick.

I for one think they should buy Konami, or at least its major IPs, such as Metal Gear, Silent Hill, and Castlevania. They would get those IPs into the right hands, and we would get AAA games.

Robb

Gold Member
We’ll see. I don’t really dare to even speculate about this stuff anymore. Never thought we’d be where we are today with Sony owning Bungie etc. and MS owning Bethesda let alone the entirety of ActiBlizz..

SSfox

Would make sens, Ms by getting Bethesda they almost got the monopoly on western rpg

Sounds like a great get, but I don't it will happen tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom