• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Liljagare

Romania will donate the Patriot System to Ukraine !

Official news from Romania:

Liljagare

q0tzIWo.jpeg

Ukraine war briefing, with Agence France-Presse, Reuters and Associated Press

FT: US to redirect Patriot air defense orders to Ukraine until it has enough to defend itself.

Single Ukrainian Magura drone hit 4 Russian patrol boats at once, Kyiv claims.

Last edited:
100%. If going into battle was the only way to keep my family safe then I'd be in the front line without hesitation. If there was a way for me to get my family to safety then I'd do that as well.
Or maybe the best way to keep your family safe is to help the invaders win quickly and provide them with names of potential troublemakers. You and your family will be rewarded with one of the important positions now left vacant, as your family's wellbeing is the only thing to consider.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Or maybe the best way to keep your family safe is to help the invaders win quickly and provide them with names of potential troublemakers. You and your family will be rewarded with one of the important positions now left vacant, as your family's wellbeing is the only thing to consider.

No, I think fighting and/or becoming refugees would be better than condemning innocent people to death.

That's the last I'll say on the subject. No need to further derail this thread with hypothetical invasion scenarios.

BlackTron

Gold Member

Yeah I wouldn't assume that siding with Russia would be a good way to keep anyone safe. Suddenly I have to worry about trouble from both my new "allies", and my old comrades whose space I plan to take up and now want to kill me.

winjer

The Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security said it imposed the “first of its kind” ban, arguing that Kaspersky threatens U.S. national security and users’ privacy because the company is based in Russia.

“Russia has shown it has the capacity, and even more than that, the intent to exploit Russian companies like Kaspersky to collect and weaponize the personal information of Americans. And that’s why we are compelled to take the action that we’re taking today,”

“U.S. individuals and businesses that continue to use or have existing Kaspersky products and services are not in violation of the law, you have done nothing wrong and you are not subject to any criminal or civil penalties,” said Raimondo. “However, I would encourage you in the strongest possible terms, to immediately stop using that software and switch to an alternative in order to protect yourself and your data and your family.”

Dr.Morris79

Mate... you can't just complain that comments are 'underhand' because they disagree with you :messenger_tears_of_joy: Like I said, just take it on the chin that you don't understand what's going on properly, and maybe go find out a bit more, and by all means come back to continue the discussion when you do.
After a few weeks of delving into a few things, I can honestly say, yep. You're all right.

I still think we're being screwed on an un imaginable level, though.

Us little folk are being fucked over something chronic.

Liljagare

FYpHJRv.jpeg

Netherlands teams up with another country to supply Ukraine with Patriot missile system.

BlackTron

Gold Member
After a few weeks of delving into a few things, I can honestly say, yep. You're all right.

Glad you took a breather to read up. The little people are getting a pretty good deal according to the arguments you now say are right.

How are they being fucked over exactly?

T-0800

Glad you took a breather to read up. The little people are getting a pretty good deal according to the arguments you now say are right.

How are they being fucked over exactly?
Probably thinks his local school is being denied funding and is being sent to Ukraine instead. The money being spent on Ukraine is peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Kudos for doing that (y)

How do you feel that we're being screwed? Did you see the post I made about what percentage of money is going to Ukraine from the US budget? It's such a tiny sum of money, that will result in a better and more prosperous west for all of us, once the fighting is done. Weakening the Russia/China axis will fundamentally change the balance of trade power. The US will benefit more than anyone else from that.

In theory, turning a tank into a heavily protected APC is a solid idea. The Canadians did in WW2, Israel did it with captured Soviet tanks and it would be a more effective use of a T-62 hull.
Of course, those countries took off the turret to save a massive amount of useless weight and space to put to better use. Keeping the turret on just makes it look slightly more dangerous at the cost of decreasing every other useful attribute.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

The bulk of the US aid money comes from a valuation of U.S. stock being sent to Ukraine.

How many schools and bridges would you convert 15 year old Strykers and HIMARS into?

Artoris

Gold Member
In theory, turning a tank into a heavily protected APC is a solid idea. The Canadians did in WW2, Israel did it with captured Soviet tanks and it would be a more effective use of a T-62 hull.
Of course, those countries took off the turret to save a massive amount of useless weight and space to put to better use. Keeping the turret on just makes it look slightly more dangerous at the cost of decreasing every other useful attribute.
yes but you can use tanks as mobile artillery

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It is easier to blame problems on external factors like the war than to confront the internal ones that are really screwing people.

Bingo. There are a lot of people in the US who want to convince Americans (and in other western democracies of course) that they're being screwed by money going to Ukraine... when in actual fact internal politics and poor management are far more to blame for problems in the country.

Rule of thumb: anyone screaming about how bad it is to help Ukraine are hiding/obfuscating the real problems being caused by them.

Last edited:
yes but you can use tanks as mobile artillery
The T-62 is the worst possible tank for that. Its gun is too big for the turret which leads to a very slow reload time and having to aim the gun to a specific position to have the room to reload.
And as stated in the video (of course they could be lying to make Russia look bad) the gun is locked into place and the tank had no ammo on board.

I've seen footage of a turtle tank firing its gun so not every one has its ammo removed.But still it removes much of the functionality of a tank to build a shed on it.

Nonehxc

The bulk of the US aid money comes from a valuation of U.S. stock being sent to Ukraine.

How many schools and bridges would you convert 15 year old Strykers and HIMARS into?
And there has been already two accounting corrections because that U.S. stock was appraised at first as 'spanking shiny new kind for kind todays prices' when, in fact, there are lots things going back 40-50-60 years and unsellable, not because bad, but because buyers really like 'spanking shiny new top of the shizz'.

Which in turn gave a span of +10b between the 'spanking shiny new' and what was really valued at. 😁

Last edited:

Liljagare

krAk5Ox.jpeg

When the factory of the Diehl Group in Berlin was burning last month, suspicions that this was no accident were already making rounds. Russian terrorists and their quislings were previously caught in preparing an attack. Apparently, we are getting proof that this was in fact a Russian terrorist attack after all.

A new attack on Kharkiv killed at least one person and wounded 11 on Sunday, according to local officials. Mayor Ihor Terekhov said the city was attacked by a guided bomb and that around half of Kharkiv was without electricity because of the strike.
Armed militants attacked two Orthodox churches, a synagogue and a traffic police post in Russia’s southern republic of Dagestan, killing a priest, a church security guard and at least six police officers, Russian state news agency Tass said Sunday. Dagestan’s ministry of internal affairs said a group of armed men fired at a synagogue and a church in the city of Derbent, located on the Caspian Sea. Almost simultaneously, reports appeared about an attack on a traffic police post in the capital of the largely Muslim region, Makhachkala. Russian media later reported that five gunmen involved in the attack had been killed.
Ukraine’s energy operator Ukrenergo said on Sunday that rolling electricity blackouts would be imposed nationwide throughout Monday because of increased Russian attacks on power stations. Ukraine has had to impose power restrictions since May due to intense Russian attacks. The more severe power outages will start from midnight Sunday and last until midnight Monday, Ukrenergo said
Serbia has sold hundreds of millions of dollars of ammunition to western countries that have likely helped Ukraine’s fight against Russia, President Aleksandar Vucic said in an interview with the Financial Times. Russia and Serbia have traditionally been close. But the Financial Times reported on Saturday that exported ammunition that ended up in Ukraine through third countries is estimated at about 800m euros, a figure that the Serbian president acknowledged in the interview was largely accurate.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
When the factory of the Diehl Group in Berlin was burning last month, suspicions that this was no accident were already making rounds. Russian terrorists and their quislings were previously caught in preparing an attack. Apparently, we are getting proof that this was in fact a Russian terrorist attack after all.

I wonder what super harsh reprisals the German government will undertake for this attack on their sovereign soil?

No Christmas card for Putin this year?
A strongly worded letter?
Olaf wagging his finger with a furrowed brow?
Only inviting 90% of their Russian oligarch chums to the annual Bundestag knees up?

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Every time I see those loss numbers, its mind blowing.

My god... 8,000 tanks destroyed.

Google tells me the US only has 5,500 tanks in its arsenal lol.

It says Russia has/had about 12k.

I mean I know theyre pulling old pieces of shit out of storage and throwing them out there... but is there the possibility they actually run out?

Or do they just buy more from China/North Korea or something? I mean damn, cue the THATSALOTOFDAMAGE.gif

Last edited:

Darius87

It says Russia has/had about 12k. of tankers

I mean I know theyre pulling old pieces of shit out of storage and throwing them out there... but is there the possibility they actually run out?

Or do they just buy more from China/North Korea or something? I mean damn, cue the THATSALOTOFDAMAGE.gif
their running out before tank loss were in double digits now only single digit and they getting more crappy, the question is will russia runs out of tankers before tanks?

FunkMiller

Gold Member

It says Russia has/had about 12k.

Welcome to the main reason this shitshow has been allowed to go on for so long. It's basically destroying the Russian military machine and their economy. Stupid cunts.

winjer

Welcome to the main reason this shitshow has been allowed to go on for so long. It's basically destroying the Russian military machine and their economy. Stupid cunts.

I don't think this is planned. The USA doesn't want to destroy Russia and it's economy.
I think this is just pure incompetence and lack of foresight.
Be it in the USA or EU, we don't have the most intelligent, competent leaders. A lot of them are dumb asses.

Just remember that, after the fall of the USSR, the USA and Europe, gave several Billion to Russia and former soviet states, to avoid a collapse of their economies and military.
And this was when Russia and the USSR were a much bigger threat than today.
All that aid was meant to assist with the change to a modern, capitalist system. But it also included aid for agriculture modernization. And the maintaining of state services.
Despite the USSR being a great threat. The thought of a bunch of rogue states, with no rule of law, with nuclear weapons, was much worse.
Today, the same reasoning can be made, that if the Russian federation collapses, we might have a disintegration of any rule of law, in a country with the most nukes in the world.

Liljagare

UXwGkmL.jpeg

Ukrainian air defenders shoot down nearly all Russian targets attacking Ukraine overnight.

New DeepStateMap update. In the past 24 hours or so, Ukraine has liberated some 4.5 km2 east of Terny (north Donetsk area).

Meanwhile, Russia has taken 0.3 km2 near Vymivka (Siversk direction) and 0.3 km2 at Krasnohorivka.

Additionally, Russia is trying to open up a new salient in northern Kharkiv direction, this time to the northwest of the city. They haven't had much success yet, and only one village (Sotnytskyi Kozachok) is in the gray zone.

Not alot of tank losses, but fever have been reported on the battlefield, and more and more that are seen are the aged T-54, first year of service 1948 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-54/T-55).

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
Don't put the onus on us.

Russia could stop all this today. They won't, but they could.
I don't think this is planned. The USA doesn't want to destroy Russia and it's economy.
I think this is just pure incompetence and lack of foresight.

Regarding this topic, I found this video from a few pages back pretty thought-provoking. But don't assume it's just a long winded video saying "can't bc nukes", gotta hear the guy out.

Nonehxc

Fuckin A' :lollipop_thescream:

That's 8 full batteries, with C&C, Radar and several launcher pods each, I think 64. That can pretty much shield Ukraine and free some to intercept those flying fucks again.

Next news will be, S. Korea is bringing in the goods.

Keep making friends, Putin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom