• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian MPs accuse FIFA 17 of 'gay propaganda'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lender

The Guardian said:
Developer EA Sports backed a campaign in the UK to combat homophobia, biphobia and transphobia in football

Russian MPs have asked the state communications oversight agency to take action against the FIFA 17 video game for violating the country’s law against gay propaganda.

Communist MPs sent a letter to the communications oversight and state consumer protection agencies complaining that the popular EA Sports football game, which is rated all ages, “invites users to support the English football premier league’s Rainbow Laces action, a massive campaign in support of LGBT”, Izvestia newspaper reported.
Premier League backs LGBT rainbow laces campaign for weekend’s matches
Read more

According to the 2013 law, such propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations can cause “harm to children’s health and development”, the letter said.

The UK-based LGBT rights group Stonewall began the Rainbow Laces campaign last month to combat homophobia, biphobia and transphobia in football, noting that 72% of fans had heard anti-LGBT remarks at games over the past five years. Premier League matches and social media platforms have featured materials from the campaign.

EA Sports also backed the campaign by allowing FIFA 17 players to obtain free rainbow-coloured uniforms for their virtual footballers in the game’s ultimate team mode. This action expired on 28 November.

Nonetheless, parliamentarians suggested FIFA 17 could be banned in Russia. United Russia MP Irina Rodnina, a former figure skater who won three Olympic gold medals for the Soviet Union, told Izvestia that the authorities needed to “verify the possibility of distributing this game on the territory of the Russian Federation”.

“Every state has its internal laws and order; they need to be obeyed,” she said.

Communist MP Valery Rashkin told Izvestia that, following the investigation, the authorities should order the game’s developer, EA Canada, to “introduce changes to the programming code or the age classification of this information product, and if it refuses, adopt corresponding restrictive measures”.

In October, the communications oversight agency blacklisted the website of Deti 404, a group that posts messages of support by and for LGBT teenagers. Communist MPs introduced legislation in 2015 to fine or jail anyone who comes out or speaks of their homosexuality in public.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-accuse-fifa-17-video-game-of-gay-propaganda

Stay classy Russia!

50523cc547b3c.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Can confirm
giphy.gif

Edit: dammit! xD

Seriously though, pretty awful. If there's one thing that EA should actually be praised for it's its LGBT support. Fuck Russia.

I know it doesn't matter one cent but i will not set one foot in Russia in my lifetime because of shit like this. My heart to all the lgbt peeps in Russia and good luck getting out of that hellhole.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
53b8bed3487556ba6763a7237cc825d2.gif

EDIT: Still pissed off Russia bribed their way to hosting the next World Cup. It's going to be a fucking shitshow.

azyless

I always prefer a bit of gay propaganda in my video games.
Don't remind me of Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022.
I remember I got jumped on here once for saying you wouldn't catch me dead in the Middle East or Russia but when I see things like this :
Communist MPs introduced legislation in 2015 to fine or jail anyone who comes out or speaks of their homosexuality in public.
Nothing's gonna convince me.

Amalthea

Banned
Nobody forces you to play that game. If you want to do something productive look at photos of your president riding a horse half naked. Or firing a rifle half-naked. Or fishing half-naked.

Well, looks like the legacy of Fidel Castro, prosecuting gays, lives on with other communists. Shame on Russia, add it to the list.

Relevant to the story, though, EA does not get enough credit for being a prominent defender of LGBT rights. When they were repeatedly voted as "Worst Company in America" I thought it was pretty disappointing, given that EA has been out in front of LGBT issues louder and with more consistency than any other videogame developer.

Well, looks like the legacy of Fidel Castro, prosecuting gays, lives on with other communists. Shame on Russia, add it to the list.

Relevant to the story, though, EA does not get enough credit for being a prominent defender of LGBT rights. When they were repeatedly voted as "Worst Company in America" I thought it was pretty disappointing, given that EA has been out in front of LGBT issues louder and with more consistency than any other videogame developer.

why was that? people mad @ season passes or something?

How about we critique the Russian government's terrible attitude to LGBT rights and the fact that they will be hosting the next World Cup in just 18 months instead?
How about no.
SVikh.jpg

Attitudes towards LGBT rights are not the only aspect towards getting voted in by people on the internet.

Beefy

Russia must be a terrifying place to live for LBGTQ people. Fuck Putin.

It is! BBC did a programme on it a year ago. There are gangs that do Hunt a Paedo but with a twist and make it To hunt a Queer. They catfish gay and bi people and then arrange to meet up. When they meet them they basically abduct them, taking them back to their gang house. Were they subject the person to physical and verbal abuse, until the person admits they are gay on camera. That footage is now uploaded to a website with all their details. So the person has to live in fear for the rest of their lifes.

It's fucked up.

why was that? people mad @ season passes or something?

If someone were going to give a reason 7 or 8 years ago, they would have said something like... "EA makes bad cash-ins, bought the NFL license, they're an evil corporation who buys small companies and ruins their games, and has no new IPs"

When the reality of it is that videogame enthusiasts are spoiled, ignorant assholes who are incapable of seeing the forest from the trees. Mass Effect 3 has a bad ending and this spurred millions of enthusiasts to take to the Consumerist and overwhelming vote that EA was worse than, say, ExxonMobile or ENRON.

Attitudes towards LGBT rights are not the only aspect towards getting voted in by people on the internet.

Yeah, of course. The mediocre ending to Mass Effect 3 or that Madden 07 wasn't as good as NFL 2K5 is much more important. Such is the warped, sheltered reality of the videogame enthusiast. The same attitude powered the GamerGate movement.

kakashi08

Read on Reddit: "In heaven they don't have a**holes. Humans got it after Adam ate the apple. So hence, gayness won't be on the minds of humans in heaven. If gays had big enough ear holes they would be doing that also. Any hole they can fit in they fall in love with."

I didn't know to laugh or to be silent...

If someone were going to give a reason 7 or 8 years ago, they would have said something like... "EA makes bad cash-ins, bought the NFL license, they're an evil corporation who buys small companies and ruins their games, and has no new IPs"

When the reality of it is that videogame enthusiasts are spoiled, ignorant assholes who are incapable of seeing the forest from the trees. Mass Effect 3 has a bad ending and this spurred millions of enthusiasts to take to the Consumerist and overwhelming vote that EA was worse than, say, ExxonMobile or ENRON.

Bolded is exactly what I think as well.

BlackJet

Aww poor Russia.

They don't wanna teach kids that some people in the world are just different, so they have to threaten people to keep up some little fantasy world they live in.

Smellycat

I thought this was going be about the gay glitches lol

Speaking of those, are those actually glitches? Or did people hack the games?

MCN

Banned
Read on Reddit: "In heaven they don't have a**holes. Humans got it after Adam ate the apple. So hence, gayness won't be on the minds of humans in heaven. If gays had big enough ear holes they would be doing that also. Any hole they can fit in they fall in love with."

I didn't know to laugh or to be silent...

When you poop, that's concentrated evil coming out of you.

I'm pretty sure that was a Family Guy joke.

Adnor

Banned
Props on EA for helping fight bigotry, fuck Russia and love to everyone who has to hide because they are scares about what bigots will do against them, they deserve a better world.

Sesha

In my mind I imagine those companies giving EA execs gift baskets each year for taking heat off of them.

Donos

How about we critique the Russian government's terrible attitude to LGBT rights and the fact that they will be hosting the next World Cup in just 18 months instead?

Ask my gf how much i rage every week over Russia and all the terrible things their "democratic" government does...and how this country is developing backwards. I really gave up. Putin/Russia don't care. They also should not have the WC in the first place (like Quatar in 24).

But i apologize for derailing the thread.

Russian attitudes toward LGBT are pretty fucked.

So there's a certain russian girl who I've sort of gone a couple of dates with. So she's the sweetest and cutest girl ever. But once she said she didn't understand the point of Pride parades. She said like, "why do they have to make so much noise". So I tried to explain how it's about spreading awareness to spread acceptance in turn. And I think I almost got her around to my point of view, at least until this very traditional Chinese girl started backing her original stance up.

She's like the sweetest girl ever, but that was a huge turn-off

Yeah, of course. The mediocre ending to Mass Effect 3 or that Madden 07 wasn't as good as NFL 2K5 is much more important. Such is the warped, sheltered reality of the videogame enthusiast. The same attitude powered the GamerGate movement.
Funniest thing is people like yourself getting so angsty over the whole thing, when at the end of the day, it's just a stupid internet award that would have no bearing on any other "evil" companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom