• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gay World Cup fan left with brain injury after brutal attack

KevinKeene

Banned
A gay football fan has been hospitalised in Russia after a vicious attack ahead of the FIFA World Cup.

There have long been fears of violence against LGBT people travelling to the country for the tournament – which starts on June 14 – with the Government directing fans to advice telling them to hide their sexuality in public.
LGBT activist group Pride in Football also revealed that it had been sent death threats saying that any gay fans going to the World Cup would be hunted down and stabbed.

Russia fans (Oleg Nikishin/Getty)
And it appears that these fears have been realised, with reports indicating that a gay couple – who had travelled to Russia to cheer on France – have been beaten in St Petersburg.
Advertisement

The pair were targeted after catching a taxi together, according to Telegram channel Operdrain, which reports news from police and other law agencies straight from the source.
The main victim, named as O. Davrius, was taken to the hospital, where doctors discovered that he had a brain contusion and open craniocerebral injury, as well as an upper jaw fracture.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/06/14/fifa-world-cup-russia-gay-fan-brain-injuries-brutal-attack/

This has been feared before the world cup, now it materialized. Shockingly, I haven't seen any mainstream media cover this. Guess they don't want to 'spoil the fun' (fuck you, ARD and ZDF).

That's just pathetic. Almost murdered because you're visiting the world cup in 2018. Fuck any 'they should have known better' voices. Hoping that this news blows up and becomes big.

russia's treatment of the lgbt is appalling. Perhaps not as the same level as some middle eastern countries, but still just bad. Like the paranoia of all gay men because they might be pedo's.

//DEVIL//

The world doesn't evolve around US and other countries that support gay community. When you go to a country , check what their believes are toward such a thing. Going there and you know they don't support gay people it's like you going against them in their country and challenge them for what you believe is right when they believe it's sick and wrong. Gay is not ok in most countries in the world. Stop acting like it's and act all shock and mad . Keep it for your self. Be glad they were not in Muslim countries. They would have been dead for sure .

They should have known better regardless what the OP think. Dont challenge other countries beliefes. They will stomp on you.

And same goes for anything really aside from gay stuff. Like, visiting Israel and you are wearing a Palestinian flag shirt or vise versa or eating pork in public in a Muslim country etc. Some stuff you do might get you killed.

When you go to other country respect it's habbits and culture . What these 2 did was the opposite. What did you expect the results to be ?

FIFA has nothing to do with this.it goes with any sports that goes world wide

Edit: just to clarify, I don't support violence. And I hope he gets better. But fuck lol honestly what did they expect ?

Last edited:

lil puff

The world doesn't evolve around US and other countries that support gay community. When you go to a country , check what their believes are toward such a thing. Going there and you know they don't support gay people it's like you going against them in their country and challenge them for what you believe is right when they believe it's sick and wrong. Gay is not ok in most countries in the world. Stop acting like it's and act all shock and mad . Keep it for your self. Be glad they were not in Muslim countries. They would have been dead for sure .

They should have known better regardless what the OP think. Dont challenge other countries beliefes. They will stomp on you.

And same goes for anything really aside from gay stuff. Like, visiting Israel and you are wearing a Palestinian flag shirt or vise versa or eating pork in public in a Muslim country etc. Some stuff you do might get you killed.

When you go to other country respect it's habbits and culture . What these 2 did was the opposite. What did you expect the results to be ?

Edit: just to clarify, I don't support violence. And I hope he gets better. But fuck lol honestly what did they expect ?
I hate this. But this is the truth. This is real life. It is not FIFA's fault

It’s a shame people can’t live how they want without dealing with others hatred. Humans can’t seem to treat each other kindly.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Two comments here.

1. Russia has an appalling record of LGBT treatment and oppression.

2. If you intentionally go swimming with Great White Sharks, don't put blood in the water.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I hate this. But this is the truth. This is real life. It is not FIFA's fault

I disagree and feel that it's very much FIFA's fault. If you value and support your gay fans, don't hold your sporting event in a society that has laws against their existence.

I disagree and feel that it's very much FIFA's fault. If you value and support your gay fans, don't hold your sporting event in a society that has laws against their existence.

Exactly, this comes first.

Now that there has been an attack, unfortunately it's time to enter the survivors mentality. And FIFA needs to do better if they want global participation.

Cybrwzrd

Banned

I agree with this just as much as I also think that one has an obligation to have situational awareness when travelling.

But I think FIFA has already proven time and time again that the only thing they care about is something manufactured by central banks.

Boss Mog

Football and especially the World Cup should be a celebration that brings people together. To see this kind of behavior is truly disgusting.

//DEVIL//

Lol by that logic let's just put FIFA world cup in only the few countries that support gay community. This is a world cup. It goes around the world . By your logic let's just call it North America and some European countries cup .

Why the logic is hard to understand ? Stop fucking around other countries rules and tradition . They will fuck u up. That simple.

You are gay ? Good for you . The other country you visiting don't like it ? Keep that shit for your self or don't visit. But don't go around their streets proud to be gay ? Like seriously ? Lol

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned

This is a disgusting posting.

FIFA chose to bring the world together in this country. So it's that country's and FIFA's task to make sure thee world gets to enjoy it. In Iran women aren't allowed to enter stadiums. Should female football fans put up with that in case of a world cup in Iran?

The thing is: There is nothing wrong about being gay. This is valid anywhere in the world. If a country encourages violence against groups of people, that is unacceptable. It is unacceptable. Now, if you're just on vacation and choose a backasswards country, that's dangerous. But visiting the FUCKING world cup? Fuck you, Russia, it's international social rules now.

This is a disgusting posting.

FIFA chose to bring the world together in this country. So it's that country's and FIFA's task to make sure thee world gets to enjoy it. In Iran women aren't allowed to enter stadiums. Should female football fans put up with that in case of a world cup in Iran?

The thing is: There is nothing wrong about being gay. This is valid anywhere in the world. If a country encourages violence against groups of people, that is unacceptable. It is unacceptable. Now, if you're just on vacation and choose a backasswards country, that's dangerous. But visiting the FUCKING world cup? Fuck you, Russia, it's international social rules now.

While it may have been less than tactful the point was that if you choose a backasswards country to go on vacation (even if they are hosting the world cup), it is still dangerous. The fact that the world cup is taking place really doesn't matter, bigots aren't just going to magically stop hating for the time being. I mean, it's not like the world cup is Pepsi or something...

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Lol by that logic let's just put FIFA world cup in only the few countries that support gay community. This is a world cup. It goes around the world . By your logic let's just call it North America and some European countries cup .

Your country doesn't have to support gay rights to decide not to jail or kill people for being gay. For countries who do so, I'm fine with them not being included in the world cup. I think not hosting a soccer game is pretty low on the pile when it comes to the consequences of basic human rights violations.

//DEVIL//

Your country doesn't have to support gay rights to decide not to jail or kill people for being gay. For countries who do so, I'm fine with them not being included in the world cup. I think not hosting a soccer game is pretty low on the pile when it comes to the consequences of basic human rights violations.
You are digging deep in other culture that will lead to different topic. You are talking about human rights for gay people. In Islamic countries gay person is beheaded or whatever way of method they use to execute someone. And you say human rights ? Human rights to you in USA isn't the same as human rights for someone else in different countries. Same as wild animals support. If you killed a dog in USA you are going to jail probably when other countries eat them for dinner.

What you and your country believe in and support is not the same world wide. Which goes to my original post. When you travel to some other countries try to learn a thing or two about them . It might save your life.

Russia isn't keen on gay . Regardless if you are a pro gay marriage or actvisit or support or think it's normal to be gay or not. So respect their rules if you want to visit them. It's not like you are going there by force.

I know i am sounding Harsh or toxic to you or to whoever thought my post is disgusting ( lol ) . But honestly I am far from it.

It's just the way it's around the world.

Snoopycat

Banned

It don't matter what people believe, it don't give them the right to go around attacking others. Your cowardly victim blaming bullshit is what makes this place look bad. Get some standards.

//DEVIL//

It don't matter what people believe, it don't give them the right to go around attacking others. Your cowardly victim blaming bullshit is what makes this place look bad. Get some standards.
This post made me laugh.

So the country has to be pro gay for them to have a standard ? Otherwise to you they don't have a standards lol. Newsflash for you then. 70% of the world isn't pro gay. I guess they all low class and cowards right ? Lol .

I am done here. I hope the guy gets better. No one deserves a beating over his sexual preferences . Let alone get killed.

Last edited:

iBuzzati

This post made me laugh.

So the country has to be pro gay or then to have a standard ? Otherwise to you they don't have a standards lol. Newsflash for you then. 70% of the world isn't pro gay. I guess they all love class and cowards right ? Lol .

I am done here. I hope the guy gets better. No one deserves a beating over his sexual preferences . Let alone get killed.

They're Europeans, and they should act civilized and treat gay people with the same decorum and respect that Western Europe does. That should be the de-facto expectation from Russia. Not harming gay people is not "Pro-Gay", it's just not being a complete and utter savage.

Last edited:

Snoopycat

Banned
This post made me laugh.

So the country has to be pro gay or then to have a standard ? Otherwise to you they don't have a standards lol. Newsflash for you then. 70% of the world isn't pro gay. I guess they all love class and cowards right ? Lol .

I didn't say a country has to be pro gay. I said people do not have the right to attack others because of their beliefs or lifestyle. As for standards that was directed exclusively at you. Posting your hateful bile and thinking your being cute with your little disclaimers. Your a disgrace.

KevinKeene

Banned
You are digging deep in other culture that will lead to different topic. You are talking about human rights for gay people. In Islamic countries gay person is beheaded or whatever way of method they use to execute someone. And you say human rights ? Human rights to you in USA isn't the same as human rights for someone else in different countries. Same as wild animals support. If you killed a dog in USA you are going to jail probably when other countries eat them for dinner.

What you and your country believe in and support is not the same world wide. Which goes to my original post. When you travel to some other countries try to learn a thing or two about them . It might save your life.

Russia isn't keen on gay . Regardless if you are a pro gay marriage or actvisit or support or think it's normal to be gay or not. So respect their rules if you want to visit them. It's not like you are going there by force.

I know i am sounding Harsh or toxic to you or to whoever thought my post is disgusting ( lol ) . But honestly I am far from it.

It's just the way it's around the world.

Your choice of words is so extremely shitty.

Mohonky

This is unfortunately something everyone was concerned about at the Olympics too.

Completely fucked that this happen. They really shouldnt let countries with horrific records of treatment of minorities hold these events.

Gun Animal

Just came to America and have been assaulted by yankee bigots only for keeping my multiple trash-bag wearing brides on leashes. Intolerance is everywhere!

When they have World Cup in South Africa, to please FIFA they had insanely quick court trials against tourists whom were victims.
Lot of Zimbabwe crimals throw in jail in 2 days after the time for long 10+ sentences for stabbing a and such

Shamylov

Just came to America and have been assaulted by yankee bigots only for keeping my multiple trash-bag wearing brides on leashes. Intolerance is everywhere!

This post made me laugh.

So the country has to be pro gay for them to have a standard ? Otherwise to you they don't have a standards lol. Newsflash for you then. 70% of the world isn't pro gay. I guess they all low class and cowards right ? Lol .

Ok, let's just stop with this ridiculous argument. I will set aside your blatant support of a homophobic attack and focus on the most basic point that is being presented to you trolls: Russia (or any country, really) doesn't have to be pro-gay; they just have to be able to ensure the safety and well-being of the attendees if they are going to host an event like this. People from all over the world are expected to attend so if Russians can't handle one of most harmless kinds without causing them brain damage then Russia isn't a suitable country.

It's that simple.

Gun Animal

Ok, let's just stop with this ridiculous argument. I will set aside your blatant support of a homophobic attack and focus on the most basic point that is being presented to you trolls: Russia (or any country, really) doesn't have to be pro-gay; they just have to be able to ensure the safety and well-being of the attendees if they are going to host an event like this. People from all over the world are expected to attend so if Russians can't handle one of most harmless kinds without causing them brain damage then Russia isn't a suitable country.

It's that simple.

What practical steps could they take to ensure the safety of every attendee?

edit: also, I don't think FIFA cares what NeoGAF user Shamylov thinks.

Last edited:

Gun Animal

Seriously? Not my problem to figure that out for them. It's as simple as "can't ensure the attendees safety? No World Cup for you".
it is impossible to ensure the total safety of tens of thousands of freely moving people.

edit: Shamylov, are you from the U.K.? That would explain a lot... Sorry, but the rest of us aren't willing to give up our butter knives.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shamylov

you're a moron. it is impossible to ensure the total safety of tens of thousands of freely moving people.

I would imagine it's best to avoid personal attacks or rather exit the discussion if you can't keep it civil, but do as you will.

Spare me the strawman. I never said anything about "the total safety of" etc. The context of my statements is very clear.

If a country can't ensure the safety of attendees on something as harmless, common, and basic as showing "gayness" then that country doesn't deserve to host an event that will attract a worldwide audience.

EDIT: cleaned the post up a bit

Last edited:

Gun Animal

Can the U.S. assure that safety? I'm told by activists that Americans are subject to an endless onslaught of hate-crimes, after all. And globally I think most people would disagree that Sodomy is harmless, normal, etc.

Gay people need to get out of Russia because I personally feel this hatred is only going to get worse in that country. Russia has never been accepting of Gay people and I don't think the majority are gonna change now. I hope these LGBT folks gather enough resources together and make a mass exodus out of that country.

Shamylov

Can the U.S. assure that safety? I'm told by activists that Americans are subject to an endless onslaught of hate-crimes, after all. And globally I think most people would disagree that Sodomy is harmless, normal, etc. That's just your western degeneracy showing.

I am not here to argue against your disgusting homophobia so spare those comments too. It's not helping you blame the victim either because the point is not that Russia isn't pro-gay but that they aren't keeping people safe.

Your attempt to argue that the US is somehow equivalent to Russia when it comes to anti-gay hate crimes is foolish since the US is clearly far more ahead of Russia when it comes to LGBTQ+ acceptance. Russia has an issue with virulent and aggressive homophobia and it resulted in fan getting brain injury. This homophobia is well-known and if it had prevented Russia from being host of the World Cup then this attack wouldn't have happened.

Shamylov

Gay people need to get out of Russia because I personally feel this hatred is only going to get worse in that country. Russia has never been accepting of Gay people and I don't think the majority are gonna change now. I hope these LGBT folks gather enough resources together and make a mass exodus out of that country.

What do you think would be easier: for Russia to become accepting of gays or for them to kick all the current ones out and keep kicking out all the new ones that'll be born? I think it would be the former. Besides, the road towards acceptance might be difficult and long but it's definitely the most worthy one.

EDIT: cleaned up the post a bit

Last edited:

Gun Animal

Shamylov, maybe FIFA just doesn't care about the maligned gays as much as you do? Maybe you should write them a letter? :)

Mod edit: dialog opened subsequent to these posts regarding tone and content

Shamylov

Shamylov, maybe FIFA just doesn't care about the maligned gays as much as you do? Maybe you should write them a letter? :)

Forget "caring about the gays", what about just caring about the safety of the fans? What about worthy countries hosting the World Cup?

What do you think would be easier: for Russia to become accepting of gays or for them to kick all the current ones out and keep kicking out all the new ones that'll be born? I think it would be the former. Besides, the road towards acceptance might be difficult and long but it's definitely the most worthy one.

EDIT: cleaned up the post a bit

I didn't say Russia should kick em out, I said they should leave of their own accord.

Also, I don't share your optimism on Russia ever becoming accepting of LGBT folks. Russia is a country that has held onto almost every aspect of it's culture for hundreds of years. Most Russians have an absolute hatred towards any change of the status quo. I believe it is more dangerous and foolish to try and get these people to accept, because I don't see Russia ever changing.

SOURCE: I have a Russian friend (living in the US) who has described to me what many Russians feel about LGBT folk. According to him, from his time in school, the consensus among his Russian classmates and certain relatives was that LGBT folk weren't people, they were animals who needed to be hunted because they "tainted" Russia and it's culture. How the fuck do you reason with shit like this? Especially when it is a majority viewpoint?

This is just ridiculous. FIFA will try to sweep every stance of thing happening under the rug and in the end pat itself in the back for a "great event". Such a pathetic organization.

Shamylov

I didn't say Russia should kick em out, I said they should leave of their own accord.

Also, I don't share your optimism on Russia ever becoming accepting of LGBT folks. Russia is a country that has held onto almost every aspect of it's culture for hundreds of years. Most Russians have an absolute hatred towards any change of the status quo. I believe it is more dangerous and foolish to try and get these people to accept, because I don't see Russia ever changing.

SOURCE: I have a Russian friend (living in the US) who has described to me what many Russians feel about LGBT folk. According to him, from his time in school, the consensus among his Russian classmates and certain relatives was that LGBT folk weren't people, they were animals who needed to be hunted because they "tainted" Russia and it's culture. How the fuck do you reason with shit like this? Especially when it is a majority viewpoint?

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood what you said and that's my bad.

I don't know if mass exodus is possible which is another reason to push for acceptance. Russia might be far from that goal now but I don't think it's impossible.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood what you said and that's my bad.

I don't know if mass exodus is possible which is another reason to push for acceptance. Russia might be far from that goal now but I don't think it's impossible.
I pray that your opinion is the true solution.

I may feel that Russia is too far gone, but I sincerely hope I am wrong.

Gander

Banned
It’s a shame people can’t live how they want without dealing with others hatred. Humans can’t seem to treat each other kindly.

Since the beginning of time. I'm not saying that in a throw up my hands kinda way. It's more like it applies to so many aspects of life race, class, gender...can we even do anything about it at this. I'm mean Jesus there is modern day slavery in Libya.

camelCase

As much as I love the East they have an outdated approach to lgbtq politics. It's almost as if all those disgruntled at the current political situation in the states have gone and settled in eastern countries. Shame because hardbass, cheeki breeki and slav squat memes are some of my favorite.

So this is what happens to a forum when its owner is exposed as a sexual predator.

You mean discussions without everyone getting banned because thought police are on the prowl like jaguars, pouncing on opinions that doesn't sit well with totalitarian type moderation?

I know. Damndest thing, eh?
Posts like yours derail discussions and make it that much more difficult to go back to a normalcy that everyone could at least agree on.

I keep seeing this shit from people that haven't posted in months because there are topics popping up that probably interest you enough to log back in and shit-by post. Why even bother?

Last edited:
Top Bottom