• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan McCaffrey on Unlocked: There is nothing here (XSX launch lineup) that says I need to spend $500 dollars on XSX. Launch games

Do you find the Xbox Series S|X launch lineup disappointing?

• Total voters

zaitsu

Banned
'Remaster'.

ibywRCs.gif

Some of you guys really are so very, very sad.
One of them just posted Halo 3 as proof of xbox games looking better than this xD XBOTS ARE DUMB BITCHES

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
whats your poin't ? It looks bad

I know DS looks way better because it's a true remaster. But it's still an old game with gameplay mechanics that hasn't aged well.

But you also pay 80 euro for an old game with new graphics.

Look. I don't want to derail the thread further. I've made my statement and personally I don't want to waste the next ten pages on my opinion.

Night.Ninja

Banned
He's right, normally at a console launch your getting new games to show off your new console.

Microsoft are basically saying you get a new graphics card and the third party devs will look after you for now.

The idea is that Microsoft's acquisitions will pay off- only this time for real lol. Patience!

It will mostly be mainstream stuff made for (American) normals. PlayStation at least has Japan to make some interesting games.

He's right, normally at a console launch your getting new games to show off your new console.

Microsoft are basically saying you get a new graphics card and the third party devs will look after you for now.

Ok and? Nvidia just said the same thing with their 3080 and 3090 cards. Didnt see anyone complain about that.

Arkam

I haven’t had much interest in getting an XSX honestly, so the lack of games is surprisingly.... but not impactful... to me. However two of my die hard Xbox friends have both said essentially what the IGN said. “Very little to justify a launch purchase”. and that when games show up they will start considering an upgrade.

The idea is that Microsoft's acquisitions will pay off- only this time for real lol. Patience!

It will mostly be mainstream stuff made for (American) normals. PlayStation at least has Japan to make some interesting games.

American normals...

Japan is one of the most reserved countries on earth. I guess D&D and western nerd type shit is normal now. Cyberpunk is the most interesting have we've had in a while.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Why do people in this thread keep saying things like God of War (who knows when) and ratchet and clank (launch "window" doesn't count for crap) are launch titles? If your going to argue that ps5 has great launch titles, it would be better served with games that actually launch with the system, eh?

AJUMP23

Neither console has an exciting launch lineup. I am getting a Series X because I can just pay $35 a month for 2 years. The PS5 has nothing that is even remotely interesting. I am getting Miles Morales for my son on the ps4.

Codes 208

Agreed about PS5, not much excites me. Couldn’t care less about Demon Souls but that’s just personal taste.

However it’s obvious Sony has more of the hype given the generation they’ve just had and with it brings good will, excitement for the future and momentum for PS5.

Xbox has more to prove and they haven’t really nailed it for me. The criticism they got for first party particularly the last three or four years, I was hoping they would come out almost guns blazing.

IMO if the Coalition had two teams for example we could have had a new game IP or reboot of something after Gears 5 launched last September, already to go for XSX launch to compliment Halo Infinite the following months after launch.

Infinite has been delayed so the new Coalition game could of took its place showing off the hardware, it’s a new IP and with that brings excitement and freshness to the portfolio in the AAA space. Whilst in the background 343 can improve infinite for Spring next year and the new studios can start showing off their stuff soon after. Momentum.

Just my thoughts anyway.
I feel like they could’ve done more, agreed. With infinite’s delay it would’ve been nice to get something in its stead. Though it’s nice theyve confirmed they’re giving MCC the 120fps treatment but that alone isn’t enough to sell me.

Njocky

Banned
I have to agree with him. Damn you Bonnie Ross. No Infinite at launch hurts. But nobody could have prevented Covid and chances are it would have been rushed anyway.
Game pass still makes a purchase today worth it. At least they've shed the "no games" image. That Zenimax purchase is the best thing that could have happened to xbox after the Halo delay/reveal fiasco. Great exclusives and in quantity are just a matter of when and not if.

I haven’t had much interest in getting an XSX honestly, so the lack of games is surprisingly.... but not impactful... to me. However two of my die hard Xbox friends have both said essentially what the IGN said. “Very little to justify a launch purchase”. and that when games show up they will start considering an upgrade.
I feel this way with both consoles. Not being a Dark Souls fan and having a PS4 Pro/PC, neither console screams buy to me.

Blond

Banned
I know DS looks way better because it's a true remaster. But it's still an old game with gameplay mechanics that hasn't aged well.

But you also pay 80 euro for an old game with new graphics.

Look. I don't want to derail the thread further. I've made my statement and personally I don't want to waste the next ten pages on my opinion.

Hasn’t aged well? As opposed to an FPS who’s mechanics haven’t changed in 20 years in the slightest and have arguably gotten worse with each entry? I say this as someone who pretty much only has X1X for Halo collection online which I stick with Halo 2 lol

bitbydeath

If by one of the best you mean.
Best >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PS5.
Yeah sure.

Because a bunch of crossgen games and a remake isnt exactly a lineup id be praising.

• Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
  • Astro's Playroom
  • Demon's Souls Remake
  • Destruction All Stars
  • Dirt 5
  • DmC 5: Special Edition
  • Godfall
  • Madden NFL 21
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • Watch Dogs: Legion

Now go look up the PS2 lineup.

Note. That the only real system seller in that line up is Demon Souls, for the people that arent into Souls games.....well.

Nonsense. All the exclusives are system sellers and you having to go back to PS2 launch lineup proves how it is “one of” the best.

Now if we were to extend it to launch year then it trumps everything, even the PS2.

dolabla

He's not wrong. I'm still getting the Series X at launch cause I want dat new hardware. But, that launch lineup in atrocious. Only game I'll be getting is COD Cold War.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
If by one of the best you mean.
Best >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PS5.
Yeah sure.

Because a bunch of crossgen games and a remake isnt exactly a lineup id be praising.

• Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
  • Astro's Playroom
  • Demon's Souls Remake
  • Destruction All Stars
  • Dirt 5
  • DmC 5: Special Edition
  • Godfall
  • Madden NFL 21
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • Watch Dogs: Legion

Now go look up the PS2 lineup.

Note. That the only real system seller in that line up is Demon Souls, for the people that arent into Souls games.....well.
Yeap let's compare with PS2 launch lineup.

• A-TRAIN 6/A6: A-RESSHA DE IKOU 6
  • DRUMMANIA
  • ETERNAL RING
  • KAKINOKI SHOGI IV
  • MAHJONG TAIKAI III
  • MORITA SHOGI
  • RIDGE RACER V
  • STEPPING SELECTION
  • STREET FIGHTER EX3
  • KESSEN
  • FANTAVISION
  • I.Q. REMIX+: INTELLIGENT QUBE
  • SWING AWAY GOLF/GOLF PARADISE
  • Q-BALL BILLIARDS MASTER/POOL MASTER/DOUKYU BILLIARD MASTER 2
  • TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT
  • DEAD OR ALIVE 2/DEAD OR ALIVE 2: HARDCORE
  • DRIVING EMOTION TYPE-S
PS4 launch lineup was better... PS5 launch lineup is way better.

PS2 only started to delivery megatons in the holidays with one of them being the best of all gaming history.

Last edited:

Murdoch

I have to say I'm sat here with my XSX pre order and I'm wondering why I need to keep it...

I was genuinely hyped to play the new Halo, I got myself a one s with the hope to relive the memories of Halo 1,2, 3 and the later entries.

I feel completely deflated by the launch and can't get excited about playing games I'm currently playing on my one s....I mean I guess forza horizon 4 will look nice but its 500 that I could commit to PS5 launch games.

Cant decide. Maybe I just keep it? Tide me over until the PS5 arrives.

Best looking versions of your old library and a massive chunk of upcoming titles on Gamespass. It's easily the cheapest way into next gen; you'll just miss out on the Sony first party exclusives if you previously enjoyed them.

ethomaz

Banned
Nonsense. All the exclusives are system sellers and you having to go back to PS2 launch lineup proves how it is “one of” the best.

Now if we were to extend it to launch year then it trumps everything, even the PS2.
He did not even looked at PS2 launch titles that were very weak.
He is using the PS2 titles released after 6 months of the console on the market as being launch titles lol

PS2 released in March 2000 not October 2000.

October 2000 was the second wave of releases... PS2 already had over 30 titles released.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
It sure is disappointing, but I trust them to grow a library fast enough.

Besides Zelda, there was nothing good on switch at launch.

xray49er

I voted yes because there aren't any exclusive games but there are games I want to play and I have the system pre ordered. I feel the same for the ps5 but for some reason Godfall has my attention more than any other game but I couldn't get a pre order in for the ps5.

diffusionx

Gold Member
He did not even looked at PS2 launch titles that were very weak.
He is using the PS2 titles released after 6 months of the console on the market as being launch titles lol

PS2 released in March 2000 not October 2000.

October 2000 was the second wave of releases... PS2 already had over 30 titles released.

Well, I got it the day it came out in the US, which was in October, and the launch was pretty solid. I can't speak for how Japanese people felt about it but I don't see why it matters.

Important to note that if a system has a good run, the launch will almost always look bad in retrospect, but it should at least give you compelling reasons to invest in the system right away. I don't remember what was on PS4 as I didn't get one, but PS5, I dunno, Demon Souls seems like a really really good launch game, and I think people who dismiss it as "just a remake" are not being fair as we know what this studio can do.

Last edited:

BigLee74

MS screwed up. Quite simply, Halo should have been ready. A good Halo is a system seller.

Heads must have rolled for that. A monumental fuck up.

Having said that, whilst the PS5 has a few exclusives ready for launch, none of them tickle MY fancy, so I certainly don't feel like I'm missing a trick there.

I will rely on the new multiplats keeping me entertained (COD, don't let me down), and some enhanced last gen stuff. A year or two down the line, we will all be drowning in stuff to play.

S|X is pretty much a BC machine at its current state. PS5 also isn’t bringing much to the table. I actually think that the PS5 launch is in a worse condition than the S|X. Ok, Demons Souls looks nice and all but if you think that most of the early adopters are coming from PS4, there isn’t really much left to play +70USD to pick new releases.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Handling a launch without Halo is what it is, call of duty, assassins creed etc. will have to represent this launch.

II_JumPeR_I

Not true. PS5 launch ain’t the best but it’s still decent. Demons Soul, Godfall, Sackboy Adventures, Destruction All Stars, Ratchet & Clank and Spider-Man are good launch games . XSX has nothing
Demon Souls is a remaster/remake and not a new game.
Godfall is also on PC and just a timed exclusive, Sackboy and Spiderman are also on PS4.
Ratchet is 2021 and will probably have a ps4 version too. Destruction whatever looks meh

NullZ3r0

Banned
This launch is different because of GamePass. Xbox owners will have access to over 100 titles on day one, many of which will look and play better than on the previous Gen. This is unprecedented. When the new games start to drop from MS Studios, they won't stop.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am glad Ryan has been speaking out. I have been getting recommended a bunch of videos from youtubers fawning over this being a next gen console, and im like you've just been playing last gen games on it and will continue to play them for the next few years.

Good to see that at least some journalists have some integrity left.

I think Microsoft missed a big trick here by not launching with next gen games. They should've at least done something like Spiderman where you got some ray tracing, better looking texture models or something that sets the game apart from its last gen brethren. Demon Souls is also an easy one. You take the same game and put a new coat of paint. Quick 2 year ports with all bells and whistles. Spiderman and Demon Souls wont win gotys, they are not the best launch games ever, but they are good enough. They will tie you until the heavy hitters arrive next year. Waiting for Horizon, GoW, Ratchet, and GT7 next year becomes that much more easier because Spiderman and Demon Souls are out at launch.

This is the kind of forward thinking i expect from console makers. This is all on Phil Spencer. he announced Project Scarlett back at e3 2018. 2.5 years and and no launch games that show off this amazing console his team built for him? A failure. Not just at launch but for 2-3 years after launch? A failure of leadership here. This is not on the dev teams or the fantastic hardware and features team who have knocked it out of the park.

tryDEATH

Lets be real, the launch for both companies could be delayed to next year and no one would miss out on anything this holiday season when it comes to exclusives. Demon Soul's is the only remotely next gen game and it too is a remaster, I genuinely think these console came too early as crazy as that sounds, as the games and engines simply aren't ready to take advantage of the hardware properly add COViD to the equation and you got a perfect shit storm for a launch period.

To me CP2077 is still going to be the king and will be the most played game, none of the exclusives have a sliver of a chance against it so to a certain extend not releasing anything major versus that game is the smart thing, just wish it had that next gen patch.

Top Bottom