• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan McCaffrey on Unlocked: There is nothing here (XSX launch lineup) that says I need to spend $500 dollars on XSX. Launch games

Do you find the Xbox Series S|X launch lineup disappointing?

• Total voters

Pug

This is first generation I won't be getting either console at launch. Don't get me wrong I think both have great potential, but in terms of launch titles both are lacking from my perspective. Yes what MS is doing with regards to backward compatibility is all very clever and for sure I will use it, but with X1X and PS4 pro is see no reason to jump in to the next gen until there are more compelling titles making use of these machines.

MiguelItUp

I have a feeling that that "Yes" is bloated with all kinds of nonsense votes, lol.

That being said, for me, both consoles don't really scream "BUY ME NOW!" at all.

FrankWza

S|X is pretty much a BC machine at its current state. PS5 also isn’t bringing much to the table. I actually think that the PS5 launch is in a worse condition than the S|X. Ok, Demons Souls looks nice and all but if you think that most of the early adopters are coming from PS4, there isn’t really much left to play +70USD to pick new releases.

3 next gen spec featuring exclusives in 2020 and possibly more during launch window 2021. Plus smaller exclusives and the only DMCV edition to include ray tracing at launch. Plus:
-The Special Edition will also take advantage of the PS5’s DualSense controller and its 3D audio features. “Just wait until you get into a situation where you’re surrounded by a bunch of Hellbats — you’ll be able to pinpoint specifically where they all are in relation to the camera based on their cries,” said Capcom.
“As DMC5SE has been developed as a separate next-gen launch title, there are no plans for upgrades from DMC5.”

Same difference. Remaster, remake. call it what you want, i just won't call it "new". It looks pretty, but the gameplay looks ok to meh imo.

I’m sure everyone, at one point or another, has mistakenly mixed up remake and remaster. But you’re knowingly undermining remake here. We all know the difference and it is SIGNIFICANT.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
its hilarious how some of then want to spin that lineup launch as someting positive..they even added fornite XD

He's correct but this criticism also extends to the PS5 lineup. Both console launches are one of the weakest I have seen.
nah,this "both are bad" bullshit its not landing anymore,but good luck with that

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Yeap let's compare with PS2 launch lineup.

• A-TRAIN 6/A6: A-RESSHA DE IKOU 6
  • DRUMMANIA
  • ETERNAL RING
  • KAKINOKI SHOGI IV
  • MAHJONG TAIKAI III
  • MORITA SHOGI
  • RIDGE RACER V
  • STEPPING SELECTION
  • STREET FIGHTER EX3
  • KESSEN
  • FANTAVISION
  • I.Q. REMIX+: INTELLIGENT QUBE
  • SWING AWAY GOLF/GOLF PARADISE
  • Q-BALL BILLIARDS MASTER/POOL MASTER/DOUKYU BILLIARD MASTER 2
  • TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT
  • DEAD OR ALIVE 2/DEAD OR ALIVE 2: HARDCORE
  • DRIVING EMOTION TYPE-S
PS4 launch lineup was better... PS5 launch lineup is way better.

PS2 only started to delivery megatons in the holidays with one of them being the best of all gaming history.

Mate please dont step.
  • Armored Core 2
  • Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore
  • Dynasty Warriors 2
  • ESPN International Track and Field
  • ESPN X-Games Snowboarding
  • Eternal Ring
  • Evergrace
  • FantaVision
  • GunGriffon Blaze
  • Kessen
  • Madden NFL 2001
  • Midnight Club
  • Moto GP
  • NHL 2001
  • Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
  • Q-Ball Billiards Master
  • Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
  • Ridge Racer V
  • Silent Scope
  • Smuggler's Run
  • SSX
  • Street Fighter EX3
  • Summoner
  • Swing Away
  • Tekken Tag Tournament
  • TimeSplitters
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Wild Wild Racing
  • X-Squad

Fucking bangers....where are all the bangers on PS5.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Miles morales, Demons souls are primary reasons people are preorderding PS5's. I guess the real proof in the pudding will be game sales this fall. If Miles Morales and Demons souls are not the top performers Ill do an avatar bet with you.

Or get a account ban for a month.

the attach rate on these games will be insane. They both will go out of stock(physical)at some point before Christmas for a few days I bet

Romulus

Easily the worst console launch I can remember. Especially considering the console is actually powerful. It would have been nice to see it come out swinging.

Technology moves fast, and by this time next year, and especially following year, its power won't be as prevalent because we'll have already seen alot of ps5 and PC games that are next gen, and before xbox can even show a flagship title. Then, mid gen consoles will be around the corner.

Its really a shame, you only get a truly beastly console every couple of decades, and this one squandered waiting for games that show it off. You have to come out in the launch window.

Last edited:

Self

Gears Tactics and the Medium will be there at start - on gamepass. I think that's cool.

But yes, MS still managed to fuck up, especially on a technical level. A power console without power games is just, meh.

Last edited:

Xenon

Xobx series X is a day one no brainer for me. There is just too much value Im getting with BC and the future looks amazing. That said...

Not having a few new showcase games at launch is a pretty big fuck up in my opinion. Seems like there is a disconnect between the hardware and software teams. The former has been killing it for years. The latter seems lost and completely out of sync with the hardware side of the house. They have been building the Series X for close to 4 years and launch titles should have been being developed right along side it. Seems like a no brainer since both teams would be testing and using feedback to help their own product's developement. Sadly this can all be traced back to MS decision to outsource to third parties for exclusives and corrected too late. It looks like they were trying to do this with Halo Infinate but switching gears (pi) from XB1 to XB1/XBSS/X was done later than it should have been and had its own management issues. Not to mention the fact that they were trying to build the game engine from the ground up. There's just too much weight to that title to be held to the development side of the hardware. This was one thing that Sony did well. There was set group of titles being developed to be ready for launch that showcased the hardware.

This also highlights the fatal flaw of not considering hard generations. Sure they're going to sell all of them this holiday. But unless they have something coming in the next few months after release oh, it's going to be a lot harder to push units without a title that makes the system tempting to those who are already committed to a competitor's platform. They are not playing to their current position.

Overall due to the fact that their competitor is going to be limited by the number of consoles they can manufacture oh, I don't think this is going to hurt them that much. But if they don't bring out games that showcase the hardware next year, I think they're in for a another rough generation.

Last edited:

Hudo

Miles morales, Demons souls are primary reasons people are preorderding PS5's. I guess the real proof in the pudding will be game sales this fall. If Miles Morales and Demons souls are not the top performers Ill do an avatar bet with you.

Or get a account ban for a month.
Yeah, you might be right with both titles. I can totally see people getting both games, they probably end up being really solid for people who are into those. But is it enough? For me, I can answer that with a strong "No.". But I guess we will see what the general public thinks.

For me, I see Miles Morals more as a cash grab, not really as a full blown sequel but I love to be wrong on this. But I am not a big comic book guy anyway... And with Demon's Souls, this will sell for sure. From what I have seen, BluePoint aren't really getting the atmosphere right, IMHO. Feels different than the original Demon's Souls. They also changed the art direction to a more "comicy"/generic gothic style. And the gameplay footage lacked that "tactile" visual feedback. Combat looked a bit disjointed. But again, that's probably just me.

Papacheeks

Banned
the attach rate on these games will be insane. They both will go out of stock(physical)at some point before Christmas for a few days I bet

B-B-BUT people are not interested in this lineup....it's not a good lineup of games?

The mental gymnastics is literally giving me a headache.

2021 is not going to help these people who live in a their own bubble. Ratchet, GT7 are coming soon and I mean really soon.

gspat

I think that, given the direction they are going, MS should treat xbox the same as Google was treating their nexus and pixel phone lines.

"This is our vision of the experience you should be having in the PC/Windows environment"

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Executive editor at IGN and Xbox guru Ryan McCaffrey said that he is dissapointed and letdown by Xbox Series X|S launch line up, when this was brought into discussion in the latest Unlocked podcast.

Link to streamable:

Edit: linking to source instead of twitter.

Edit 2: added a poll, as someone requested.

You don't even need a brain to acknowledge that, but glad he said the obvious.

Reactions: MrS

FrankWza

B-B-BUT people are not interested in this lineup....it's not a good lineup of games?

The mental gymnastics is literally giving me a headache.

2021 is not going to help these people who live in a their own bubble. Ratchet, GT7 are coming soon and I mean really soon.

As I’ve said...best launch lineup in 3 generations. 20 years is Half the time the home console has been around. And it’s maybe the best when it comes to showcasing new gen improvements

sircaw

Banned
You don't even need a brain to acknowledge that, but glad he said the obvious.

Like you pointed out, he has too.

I wonder if he will be forced to apologize again? Remember that tweet he sent out years ago with the Xbox has no games, a blank screen. He retracted it and said sorry to Microsoft.

Sad state of the industry that game Jornos need to apologize to a company for having no games.

Oh that Gravy train

Not true. PS5 launch ain’t the best but it’s still decent. Demons Soul, Godfall, Sackboy Adventures, Destruction All Stars, Ratchet & Clank and Spider-Man are good launch games . XSX has nothing
PS5 launch games are the best out of all Playstation generations. They have Demon's Souls and Spider-Man MM. They also have very good launch window games such as R&C

dorkimoe

PS5 launch games are the best out of all Playstation generations. They have Demon's Souls and Spider-Man MM. They also have very good launch window games such as R&C
You people are insane.

The best of all time? A remaster; and a ps4 game? Seriously...come on. While the xbox launch sucks; lets not go crazy acting like the ps5 is the best...I mean good lord.

Last edited:
Yeap let's compare with PS2 launch lineup.

• A-TRAIN 6/A6: A-RESSHA DE IKOU 6
  • DRUMMANIA
  • ETERNAL RING
  • KAKINOKI SHOGI IV
  • MAHJONG TAIKAI III
  • MORITA SHOGI
  • RIDGE RACER V
  • STEPPING SELECTION
  • STREET FIGHTER EX3
  • KESSEN
  • FANTAVISION
  • I.Q. REMIX+: INTELLIGENT QUBE
  • SWING AWAY GOLF/GOLF PARADISE
  • Q-BALL BILLIARDS MASTER/POOL MASTER/DOUKYU BILLIARD MASTER 2
  • TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT
  • DEAD OR ALIVE 2/DEAD OR ALIVE 2: HARDCORE
  • DRIVING EMOTION TYPE-S
PS4 launch lineup was better... PS5 launch lineup is way better.

PS2 only started to delivery megatons in the holidays with one of them being the best of all gaming history.
PS2 was one of two consoles (not counting the failed Dreamcast and the yet to release Xbox), of course it had a strong lineup. Stop referencing this launch in 2020.

The more options for platforms that exist, the less likely you'll see companies seek to only release with one of them. Would Devil May Cry 5 be more alluring to you if it were only on Xbox or PS? Or is it another phenomenal game that is available on both? Some of you lack perspective and it hurts.

FritzJ92

What next-gen only experience is he looking for?

On PS5- you have Demon Souls, Destruction All-Stars, Godfall, and Astros Playroom, everything else is coming to the PS4 also
on XSX- you have Gears Tactics, Enlisted, Bright Memory, The Falconeer... everything else is on XB1

Overall none of the launch line-ups are good, but I also know what forum I'm on so one brand gets a pass

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I agree that Series X doesn't have any exclusive content that would get me to buy one at launch, if that's what I was looking for. I pre-ordered a series x to play my 300+ games and 3rd party in the highest fidelity. The exclusives will come.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
It's true that Microsoft has an extremely poor/non-existent launch lineup. The Bethesda acquisition and Sony's "we believe in generations" lies have really done wonders for making everyone forget that.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I agree that Series X doesn't have any exclusive content that would get me to buy one at launch, if that's what I was looking for. I pre-ordered a series x to play my 300+ games and 3rd party in the highest fidelity. The exclusives will come.
That's definitely the appeal of Xbox Series X right now. You also know Microsoft's team will work hard to double framerates on some BC games, breathing some new life into them as well. Hell, it's the reason I want (and will eventually get one) at this point.

Romulus

I feel like they were resting everything on Halo, and even if it looked incredible the launch wouldn't have been great.
The original xbox launch was. Halo was brand new and unique, and it really showed what the Xbox could do above the other consoles. XSX needed that.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Mate please dont step.
  • Armored Core 2
  • Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore
  • Dynasty Warriors 2
  • ESPN International Track and Field
  • ESPN X-Games Snowboarding
  • Eternal Ring
  • Evergrace
  • FantaVision
  • GunGriffon Blaze
  • Kessen
  • Madden NFL 2001
  • Midnight Club
  • Moto GP
  • NHL 2001
  • Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
  • Q-Ball Billiards Master
  • Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
  • Ridge Racer V
  • Silent Scope
  • Smuggler's Run
  • SSX
  • Street Fighter EX3
  • Summoner
  • Swing Away
  • Tekken Tag Tournament
  • TimeSplitters
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Wild Wild Racing
  • X-Squad

Fucking bangers....where are all the bangers on PS5.
These were first year games not launch.
I listed all launch titles.

We can compare your list with PS5 games released up to May 2021 in the future.

Last edited:

whitesugar

Banned
neither are amazing, but MS's launch is particularly bad. could be more forgiving if they had had some releases recently, but there hasn't been much last couple of years. at least Sony was supporting PS4 to the end, and just had two AAA's this summer.

MS don't have an excuse for a launch this bad. whether that's in terms of mismanaging Halo, or all these studios they bought two and a half years ago having not one game ready between them

You people are insane.

The best of all time? A remaster; and a ps4 game? Seriously...come on. While the xbox launch sucks; lets not go crazy acting like the ps5 is the best...I mean good lord.

"Demon's Souls is just a remaster"

XFW04P1.jpg

FrankWza

That's definitely the appeal of Xbox Series X right now. You also know Microsoft's team will work hard to double framerates on some BC games, breathing some new life into them as well. Hell, it's the reason I want (and will eventually get one) at this point.

we don’t know that yet. Watchdogs has the same specs on both and dmc only has ray tracing available on PS5 at launch. And BC? How is that bump ok but a Remake of a fromsoftware game done by bluepoint not trump BC? I realize it’s one vs a few but come on. A remake jumping 2 generations is the world heavyweight champion of BC

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Yeah, you might be right with both titles. I can totally see people getting both games, they probably end up being really solid for people who are into those. But is it enough? For me, I can answer that with a strong "No.". But I guess we will see what the general public thinks.

For me, I see Miles Morals more as a cash grab, not really as a full blown sequel but I love to be wrong on this. But I am not a big comic book guy anyway... And with Demon's Souls, this will sell for sure. From what I have seen, BluePoint aren't really getting the atmosphere right, IMHO. Feels different than the original Demon's Souls. They also changed the art direction to a more "comicy"/generic gothic style. And the gameplay footage lacked that "tactile" visual feedback. Combat looked a bit disjointed. But again, that's probably just me.

How is it a cash grab? They didn't have to do anything, but they started another game right after 2018 spiderman, and also sometime in 2019 started development of a new ratchet.(or at leas thats when rumors hit, could have started much earlier)

They are literally making two games? One is smaller in scale and seems to serve as a big chapter to go into a much bigger story arc with possibilities leaning towards a spiderverse type of game series with different characters.
It may seem like a cash grab because it's smaller, but I think making a stand alone miles story was always in the cards. If you didn't get that from playing spiderman then you never played it, or dont know how to pay attention.
Playstation makes money for Sony, like a lot. And they know their game division is their biggest money maker. SO they invest in tons of projects, exclusive deals, VR to serve that whole division to make the most money they can.
How can you not look at the last 2 years of playstation and see their investment? 2018 God of war, spiderman, 2019 days gone and timed exclusives from third party, 2020 had Last of us part 2, Ghost, FF7:R.

Microsoft's last two big games were Ori will of the whisps, and Gears 5. gears tactics did all but dick and was only available for PC soon to be console.
Next year is stacked with first party and third party exclusive content. And 2022 looks like it's going to be a banger as well if rumors are true.

Last edited:

TimFL

The Series X|S only has Gears Tactics as a nextgen launch title.
Everything else is crossgen making it very hard convince me/anyone to put out that cash.

That‘s false. There is an official Xbox news blog article outlining launch titles, prominently mentioning a Tetris spinoff for the launch period.

Last edited:

FrankWza

How is it a cash grab? They didn't have to do anything, but they started another game right after 2018 spiderman, and also sometime in 2019 started development of a new ratchet.(or at leas thats when rumors hit, could have started much earlier)

They are literally making two games? One is smaller in scale and seems to serve as a big chapter to go into a much bigger story arc with possibilities leaning towards a spiderverse type of game series with different characters.
It may seem like a cash grab because it's smaller, but I think making a stand alone miles story was always in the cards. If you didn't get that from playing spiderman then you never played it, or dont know how to pay attention.
Playstation makes money for Sony, like a lot. And they know their game division is their biggest money maker. SO they invest in tons of projects, exclusive deals, VR to serve that whole division to make the most money they can.
How can you not look at the last 2 years of playstation and see their investment? 2018 God of war, spiderman, 2019 days gone and timed exclusives from third party, 2020 had Last of us part 2, Ghost, FF7:R.

Microsoft's last two big games were Ori will of the whisps, and Gears 5. gears tactics did all but dick and was only available for PC soon to be console.
Next year is stacked with first party and third party exclusive content. And 2022 looks like it's going to be a banger as well if rumors are true.

not to mention, with all the BC talk, you had GoT holdouts that have the game boost update coming. Pretty much like another exclusive launch title. I’m glad I held off playing it. Wasn’t easy.

Pallas

It’s not great at all but it’s really not that much better on the PS5 side as well considering most of the launch games are cross generational as well. I’m guessing Sony is banking on Demon Souls remake to move launch consoles.

Aside from DS, this is arguably one of the weakest launch line ups, if not the weakest for Sony and the worst for Xbox.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
not to mention, with all the BC talk, you had GoT holdouts that have the game boost update coming. Pretty much like another exclusive launch title. I’m glad I held off playing it. Wasn’t easy.

I bet. I own it, it's by far the best IP sucker punch has ever put out. And a better for satisfying game than last of us part 2 in my opinion. Best game since god of war for sony as far as I'm concerned.

iHaunter

It's fucking atrocious. It's no wonder they were trying to rush out Halo: Infinite and try to patch it over time. Ended up not panning out though.

Top Bottom