• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S-Town |OT| a new podcast from the producers of Serial and This American Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Y7s50NP.png

S-Town is about a man named John who hates his Alabama town and decides to do something about it. He asks Brian to investigate the son of a wealthy family who’s allegedly been bragging that he got away with murder. But then someone else ends up dead, and the story Brian thought he was reporting shifts underneath him. He discovers a nasty feud, a hunt for hidden treasure, and wades into the mysteries of John’s town and one man’s life.

Brian started reporting this story more than three years ago, before we’d even launched Serial. We knew right away it was something special. I (Sarah Koenig) was a story advisor, as was Ira Glass and a few others. Each episode takes a turn you don’t see coming. I’m confident S-Town is unlike any show you’ve heard before.

All episodes of S-Town will be released simultaneously on March 28, so if you subscribe now, you’ll get all seven episodes the moment they drop.​

https://stownpodcast.org

https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=1212558767

Just got the email announcing this. As a fan of TAL and Serial (both seasons) I'll definitely check this out.

Nothus

Wow no replies to this? Come on GAF!

The subject matter appeals to me a hell of a lot more than season 2 of Serial did, so I'm definitely going to check it out.

I wonder why they made the decision to release all 7 episodes at once though? Part of the fun of Serial season1 was discussing theories in between each episode - that will be completely lost releasing them this way.
Also danger of spoilers because a lot of people will just binge the whole thing in one sitting.

Dalek

HyCyoKBd-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

Official Page
iTunes Link

Release Date March 28 - All 8 episodes releasing at once

S-Town is the first official Serial spin-off series, from the newly-formed Serial Productions. From the site's description: "John despises his Alabama town and decides to do something about it. He asks a reporter to investigate the son of a wealthy family who's allegedly been bragging that he got away with murder. But then someone else ends up dead, sparking a nasty feud, a hunt for hidden treasure, and an unearthing of the mysteries of one man's life."

Currently there is only a preview of the first episode available:

Two weeks ago, the Serial Productions team released a teaser which featured host Brian Reed describing the maddening difficulty in fixing an antique clock. The system of cogs, levers and pulleys can be a complex one, with clock restorers relying on “witness marks” – dents, holes and impressions – to learn about the clock’s history.

It turns out Brian has been approached by antique clock restorer John, who wants him to investigate the son of a wealthy family who has allegedly been bragging that he got away with murder.

Arkeband

Banned
That synopsis sounds like fiction. I'm not as interested in fiction than I am in true crime and real stories, which is what Serial and TAL are.

Yeah I don't know what about that makes you think it's fiction. The teaser sounds like documentary like TAL/Serial

the summary paragraph sounds super-dramatized and like the sales pitch for a thriller. i totally thought they were trying their hand at fiction at first too.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
They used the word "reporting" and Sarah references herself in the story so unless they're doing some dumb meta fiction shit that will jeopardize the Serial/TLA brand I'm pretty sure this is billed as nonfiction.

Arkeband

Banned
They used the word "reporting" and Sarah references herself in the story so unless they're doing some dumb meta fiction shit that will jeopardize the Serial/TLA brand I'm pretty sure this is billed as nonfiction.

Pretty sure Serial Season 2 already jeopardized that brand, lol.

Risible

Pretty sure Serial Season 2 already jeopardized that brand, lol.

Such an amazing drop-off in terms of holding my interest. Season one mesmerized me, two or three episodes into season two and I lost every shred of interest in it. You're right, season two did (at least in my eyes) a ton of damage to the Serial brand.

border

They very frequently kill the community and fun week-to-week discussion surrounding the show. They put spoilers into the wild immediately, and kinda prevent word-of-mouth expansion of an audience. Dumping all the episodes at once gives your program one shot to stay in the popular consciousness, whereas weekly delivery allows a slow building of momentum.

There's a reason why Walking Dead and Game of Thrones have threads that are hundreds of pages long, while discussion of the Netflix Marvel shows is relatively short.

If every episode of Serial or The Jinx had been dumped all at once, I highly doubt they would have become the sensations that they were.

TalonJH

Been subbed since the announcement and patiently waiting. Are we going to use this as the OT thread?

Dump release formats are the worst.

They very frequently kill the community and fun week-to-week discussion surrounding the show. They put spoilers into the wild immediately, and kinda prevent word-of-mouth expansion of an audience. Dumping all the episodes at once gives your program one shot to stay in the popular consciousness, whereas weekly delivery allows a slow building of momentum.

There's a reason why Walking Dead and Game of Thrones have threads that are hundreds of pages long, while discussion of the Netflix Marvel shows is relatively short.

If every episode of Serial or The Jinx had been dumped all at once, I highly doubt they would have become the sensations that they were.

I kind of agree. You end up with a community only talking about the conclusion rather than the ride to the conclusion. That limits the thread enjoyment for people that haven't made it to the end and by the time that they so, many have moved on.

Arkeband

Banned

On the other hand, raising interest and tension with true crime leads to situations like Serial S1 where these super rabid communities are made and end up harassing real life individuals to continue the case.

So maybe this is what led them to dump it all at once. It was part of why Koenig went a different way with Serial S2.

Brakke

Banned
There's no such thing as "spoilers" for the lives of real humans, get it together.

Dunno if I care about this. Serial 1 ended up bring bad, and 2 was ok but kind of boring.

border

There's no such thing as "spoilers" for the lives of real humans, get it together.

If all of Serial had been released at once, and word spread that the final 3-4 episodes were just pointless wheel-spinning with no interesting revelations I think it would have killed listenership. I don't know if you would call something like that "spoilers", but it's a decent enough word to use for lack of a better term.

https://stownpodcast.org

Podcast by This American Life/Serial about an alleged murder in Alabama that was covered up. All 7 episodes are up now.

Still on the first episode but the guy who brought up this murder is quite a character and I feel this podcast will be more about him.

PillarEN

Good heads up. Hoping for a some more concrete conclusion compared to Serial. I wonder if Said ever got a retrial from season 1 of Serial.

Spoiler:
On the second episode it's revealed that no one was murdered but that someone will die in the course of the podcast.

Jakoo

I have a five hour flight today and thinking about downloading all of these. What are the early reviews here? Is this worth getting into?

I was hyped to see it got released so early in the day. I got about 20 minutes in on my drive to work. I'm not going to ingest this podcast all in one day, delegating it only to my commute. I want the slow burn. It'll be interesting to see how this story plays out.

Atrophis

This guy sure is something. Starting episode 2 now.

Well I see where this is going.
John is going to turn up dead and the series will be about investigating his life and death

Wasn't interested in this until I saw they were releasing it all at once, which is a good sign. Means they already have an ending in mind.

Only listened to the first ep but I'm digging it. Although it's giving off a real fictitious vibe to me, maybe it's just over-produced.

Yes I think this is a byproduct of how this show and Serial are edited; it can come off as story-like instead of authentic.

I'm partway through episode 1 and this guy is a trip. Arrogant, dramatic, and just as gossipy as the rest of the town. As someone who grew up in a small Georgia town this is all very familiar so far.

Rootbeer

Banned
Downloaded all episodes. Will start working through it later today.

Would love for this to become a trend for this kind of content... release it all netflix style

Serial season 2 doesn't get enough credit, it's as strong as season 1 in its own way. Hope this can compare.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
and Andycapps told me about this.

I'm working about 5 miles from this area, and live in the nearest resemblance of civilization 15 miles away.

Where I've worked have done business with this "K3/KyKenKee" thing.

Well, guess I need to listen to it.

Yes, it's literally a bunch of shit towns with a giant Mercedes Plant in the middle.

KarmaCow

I have only listened to the first episode but this dude is amazing. I enjoy listening him rant but I do kinda feel bad for that lawyer if they are his only outlet.

Sulla1980

On episode III now.

Its interesting. I am going to put a spoiler tag over a comparison to a different podcast.
Its more like this American Life than Serial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom