• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred Symbols |OT| PS, I Still Love You

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Guess someone's salty about the Vita devkit situation....

I like Colin, but the guy is, and always has been, clueless about the business.

As Nintendo has proven repeatedly over the years: You don't need all the games all the time. You just need system sellers that you can't get anywhere else.

MS scattergun approach is because they need a constant churn of product to GP. They've already burned through their back catalog and so have to keep buying stuff in order to maintain momentum. The problem is they can't take their foot of the gas!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You mean that same site that clickbaited almost daily for years about the Xbox One's ESRAM asking about it to pretty much any studio janitor they could find?

Gamingbolt has only one focus, and it's whatever gives them clicks, literally at any cost. 😂
dont remember their past, but lately they get mocked by xbox fans every time they clips are posted by here ps fans. from my time being recommended their videos, they have a big hard on for sony exclusives.

Keihart

again you wish. you guys are just being petty at this point
What do you mean by "you guys" ?
mad people GIF

Last edited:

Markio128

Well when he says he turns on his PS5 and doesn't know what to play, that's accurate. I'm just playing Days Gone at 60fps right now because there really isn't anything worth playing right now on the PS5.
That just sounds like a jaded gamer because there are a shit-ton of great PS4 and PS5 games to play. You can view anything from a different perspective. Just because you have a problem with something doesn’t mean everybody does.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Jim Ryan's background is marketing too so he must think that being quiet and let this blow over is a good strategy. And maybe it is, but it's old school thinking that simply doesnt fly in the age of social media.
Playstation has a social media presence. They are always advertising on my Instagram, Facebook, and even on some streaming platforms that I have been using. The problem may be that it's just not that effective.

Playstation announces new games/trailers/features in a very clean video on YouTube - ethomaz ethomaz and thelastword thelastword cream their pants.

VS

Xbox announces literally nothing - Half of Youtube game channels lose their minds, lots of talk on podcasts and forums like here.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I think he is a bit overly dramatic but he does have a good point about Sony’s marketing. XB is doing a much better job creating excitement and news.

I also think this year will be pretty slow for games in general. Games take longer to make, covid, etc. He also makes a good point that you don’t really need a next gen console yet. The only next gen game that I have bought that is next gen only is Demon Souls. I bought that in November six months ago. And if you consider it’s on PS3 also it’s not really next gen only.

I remember last gen not having much to play for awhile so I have a lot of patience this year. I think all three companies will be good once the games start rolling in...probably next year.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ask yourself this. Did MS pulled it because they were nice or because they were grilled to the ground for wanting to have this?

And no. DRM wasn't the only negative point of MS back in those days
No doubt they pulled it due to gamers.

The big difference is by the tie the system launched, it was gone. So there's no need for bringing it up. It never happened.

Sony's issues the past few months actually all happened with active systems.

decisions

Colin has been around long time and is very well connected. He used to work at IGN. Sacred Symbols is one of the biggest if not the biggest PlayStation podcast. He also part owner of a game development studio.

Not sure why some people are saying he's a nobody. It's not just "another random" podcast.
Yeah there's a lot of people making stupid drive-by posts without even knowing who Colin is. His opinions are very well put and I'm pretty sure you can verify that Sacred Symbols is the biggest Playstation podcast. Doesn't mean you have to agree with him, just that it's interesting that someone who is very knowledgable about Playstation and has a prominent voice within the community of hardcore PS fans, also thinks that recent news regarding Sony is very troubling.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Those saying MS have better marketing? All I can say is that empty vessels make the loudest noise.
This is the reverse of 2013.

This time, all MS is doing is sitting back promoting GP, games and system features.

Sony on the other hand is getting grilled by the gaming public and YT videos. Jim Ryan and gang get nailed with Q&A where they or PR has to respond. Kind of like Mattrick, Spencer and whomever back then always getting second guessed.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think he is a bit overly dramatic but he does have a good point about Sony’s marketing. XB is doing a much better job creating excitement and news.

I also think this year will be pretty slow for games in general. Games take longer to make, covid, etc. He also makes a good point that you don’t really need a next gen console yet. The only next gen game that I have bought that is next gen only is Demon Souls. I bought that in November six months ago. And if you consider it’s on PS3 also it’s not really next gen only.

I remember last gen not having much to play for awhile so I have a lot of patience this year. I think all three companies will be good once the games start rolling in...probably next year.
So basically MS is better at talking the talk...

Meanwhile Sony is providing games in the upcoming weeks, months.

....one of them is now multiplatform.....

And this somehow equals PS5's future is grim...

I dont get it, despite the valid criticisms.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
That was a video full of logical observations of the current situation

I'll say this if you actually like the sony of 2016-2021 in terms of game output and policy? I think you have shit taste personally but you have nothing to worry about sony is here for you and only YOU and will continue to be

Alright

Banned
Yeah there's a lot of people making stupid drive-by posts without even knowing who Colin is. His opinions are very well put and I'm pretty sure you can verify that Sacred Symbols is the biggest Playstation podcast. Doesn't mean you have to agree with him, just that it's interesting that someone who is very knowledgable about Playstation and has a prominent voice within the community of hardcore PS fans, also thinks that recent news regarding Sony is very troubling.
🤷‍♂️

Releasing this podcast while loads of similar videos/articles are knocking about is either really poor judgement or jumping on the bandwagon.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I'll say this if you actually like the sony of 2016-2021 in terms of game output and policy? I think you have shit taste personally but you have nothing to worry about sony is here for you and only YOU and will continue to be
Thats one hell of an opinion, lol.

Policy I can get, but games from that time frame?

Redlancet

Banned
as much i like colin he is so wrong in this one...ms interesting personalities who go to podcasts? who ? jeff grub?dont make me laugh,hyperbole as usual,i expected better from him

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So basically MS is better at talking the talk...

Meanwhile Sony is providing games in the upcoming weeks, months.

....one of them is now multiplatform.....

And this somehow equals PS5's future is grim...

I dont get it, despite the valid criticisms.
Depends on what someone's definition of grim is.

Unless something nuclear happens, the sales and profits will still be sky high. So it's not that.

But for some, the image and brand are tarnished as the walled garden is coming down and they focus on big budget western games. And that pisses off hardcore PS gamers who want their eco-system and Japanese studio games.

This has been evident for years. But only came full throttle last bunch of years. But you could already see it at the beginning of PS4 with big FIFA and COD partnerships. And once they transitioned E3s to first party only, and then skipped it entirely last few years, they are focusing on their AAA games.

Everything else from smaller first party games, third party games on stage and indie montages all thrown out the window.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned

by using your same logic,you have shit taste just at life,gtfo with these stupid hot takes

I thought no gaf can’t be that retarded to post another Sony doom and gloom thread on the same day. So I legit thought the future is grim was possibly a new game.

Nope more fud. #sonygaf

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
"future is grim."

Totally not clickbait 😂

The overreaction and hyperbole are real nowadays.

"you can't announce something like PS3 and PS Vita outage through a forum post and an email"

You mean that same site that clickbaited almost daily for years about the Xbox One's ESRAM asking about it to pretty much any studio janitor they could find?

Gamingbolt has only one focus, and it's whatever gives them clicks, literally at any cost. 😂
There comes a point when the defense against hyperbole becomes hyperbole itself, as illustrated here. And you don't have to be a "System fanboy" to observe that one business/PR strategy in contrast to a competitors seem illogical, poorly considered, and arrogant. To me, Sony is behaving and has planned to behave like their competitors are still the floundering, anti-consumer, Kinect/NFL driven, Don Mattrick led embarrassment of 8 years ago.

Things change. Xbox has momentum, and is making exciting and interesting moves on a regular basis, and is changing the industry with GamePass. We can hand wave and dismiss even measured and sincere discussion that may not be perfectly 50/50 balanced in harmony of equality between the companies right now, but that's even more childish and immature than pledging blind allegiance to the shiny plastic box of your choice and willfully ignoring evidence that contradicts those beliefs.

Trust me - it's okay to criticize Sony. It doesn't make you a fanboy. They deserve some criticism right now. Maybe in time they'll prove everyone wrong with 10/10 games (that will come out once every 5 years), but maybe they won't. Maybe they're complacent and have no idea how to formulate a long-term strategy that can compete against an ever approaching monolithic behemoth.

ShirAhava

Thats one hell of an opinion, lol.

Policy I can get, but games from that time frame?

I have almost zero interest in the types of games sony first party puts out

PlayStation = Japan for me

I sold my PS4 in 2017 because I noticed all the games I wanted to play were on PC

I need a high end PC for work anyway so PS4/5 would be redundant

The last PS exclusive I truly enjoyed was Motorstorm Apocalypse ten years ago

Sony has chosen to cater to a certain type of gamer and if you don't fit that profile you are SOL

Last edited:
Fundamental issue is that what will happen if MS makes a critically acclaimed game that wins GOTY?
Just like with Days Gone or even (arguably) Death Stranding, Sony is not infallible.

ShirAhava

by using your same logic,you have shit taste just at life,gtfo with these stupid hot takes
"Sony to close ps3 web store, cancel patches, increase prices of their games, release mlb on gamepass, tell everyone how they believe in generations and then announce Lots of cross gen titles, ignore ps1-ps3 legacy, don’t support 1440 resolution, don’t offer storage expansion 6 months after release, kill japan studio, cancel days gone 2, release weaker hardware (TFlops)"

Are you seriously defending this? keep up the good fight brave console warrior!

Last edited:

Nvzman

This wont go well, 90% of GAF are upset by anything that knocks Sony.
If this was 2013 you wouldn't be absurdly wrong.
The fact that since the PS5 has been announced Ive seen nothing on this forum but constant concern-trolling and bitching at Sony (only for Sony to prove them wrong literally every time - see the pricing speculation and that PS4 backwards compat was gonna suck) is getting really annoying. And then you see users like this, calling GAF "90% Sony defenders" even though most of the time its more obviously anti-Sony users just either concern-trolling or using extremely shaky sources to put the company down and level-headed users are being highly skeptical of it. I'm not a "Sony pony", for fucks sake I own a One X (and gamepass!) and a Switch as well and I primarily play games on PC. Sony has been consistently doing well for themselves since the PS1, and they certainly know not to do a repeat of the PS3's launch. Even though I will admit Sony's exclusives are slowly losing my interest (only ones that really grabbed me in recent years was Spider-Man, Sackboy, and Demon Souls funny enough) and I think TLoU2 should have made Sony completely restructure Naughty Dog (or at least fire Druckmann) after how much of an immature "fuck you" that was, they are doing just fine for themselves and they will continue to.
Literally all of you who are praising Microsoft's efforts while demonizing Sony are literally falling right into MS's hands. This is why they've been actively doing everything they can to appear pro-consumer; its literally how competition works in this industry. I really do appreciate some of these efforts (like the BC on Xbox is fantastic, gamepass on console is genuinely cool, mod support, etc), yall really gotta realize the second MS is top dog, they are just going to stop caring and fuck you over for every last $$. Look no further than the doubling of Xbox subscriptions, the only reason they walked that back was because they knew it was going to turn more people off than they thought. I'm not exactly targeting MS, this is just standard practice in business. You have to be realistic about this. This is exactly why the Xbox One launched the way it did, because MS seriously thought their shit didnt stink because they were neck and neck with Sony last gen and they could get away with actively fucking over the customer at every turn. I don't see Sony doing anything like this, the CMOS battery on the PS4 does sound shitty (but it only would suck if one day PS4 servers would turn off) but its not even comparable to "oh yea so you can't share discs with anyone without paying for the license and we are charging our underpowered-even-for-2013 console for $500. Got a problem? Buy a 360 then.". The PS3 store situation does suck as well, but the PS3 store was a complete mess prior to this announcement so I'm not surprised, its really not worth fixing the broken as hell storefront for the minimal revenue it would produce. The PS3 was a remnant of a messy era for Sony, I'm not really surprised they want to just move on and forget about it. But this doesn't mean Sony is just being an arrogant asshole, its more that Microsoft just has better infrastructure to support BC and their older consoles, which makes sense given they were the pioneers of online console storefronts (dating back to the OG Xbox).
It feels like in this age you can't have a rational opinion anymore, everything has to be Twitter-level-emotionally-fueled drivel with zero nuance to it. I personally hope MS brings a genuinely unique variety of games to the table that forces Sony to compete again (PS2/PS3 era has an insane variety of exclusives, imo that was the peak for Sony exclusives just due to the sheer quality and amount of genres), but I'm holding my breath, considering the one thing MS has been consistently screwing up is the actual games they are producing. Great services are nice and all, but who the hell cares when you have absolutely no interesting exclusives to set you apart?

Markio128

If Microsoft starts to produce critically acclaimed games, shit gets interesting
Isn’t that the whole point, or am I missing something? Whether they turn out good or bad, Sony have Returnal and R&C releasing in the next couple of months. As a PS5 owner, I have something to look forward to in the short term. That is the simple reason why I was attracted to the PS5 over the Series X.

Why shit taste? What games should I be playing?

Sony had plenty of decent exclusive games during the period you mentioned plus the multi-platform stuff.

Its not clear to me what I'm missing out on with the other consoles?

Xbox, Wii U and Switch have been offering something much better than Sony over the same time period?

reksveks

Isn’t that the whole point, or am I missing something? Whether they turn out good or bad, Sony have Returnal and R&C releasing in the next couple of months. As a PS5 owner, I have something to look forward to in the short term. That is the simple reason why I was attracted to the PS5 over the Series X.
Think Colin is thinking longer term but yeah based on announced first party games you might have a better time on a ps5. Xbox is relying on gamepass value to bring people currently into the platform but I don't know if that always will be case.

Top Bottom