• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces new micro sd card faster than ssd

Zannegan

It is said that Samsung collaberated with a customer to produce these cards, and that customer may be Nintendo for Switch 2 for bigger games and faster loading.
I don't believe that for a second, but I'd like to.

EDIT: Can we get a link to the Nintendo/Switch 2 rumor? I don't want to call BS, but I didn't see it in my cursory sweep of the Reddit thread or the attached article.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
The random I/O response performance will be more meaningful than theoretical maximum transfer speed presumably. Even on PC with nvme drives games often don't even manage 800MB/sec in loading because the limiter is the CPU performance anyway. This is why SATA SSD is often little or no slower.

Last edited:

Zannegan

It was hinted that Nintendo showed BotW without loading.
But there's nothing in the thread or the article indicating any link to Nintendo... at least not that I saw. Wouldn't be the first time I missed the obvious though.

JordiENP

EDIT: Can we get a link to the Nintendo/Switch 2 rumor? I don't want to call BS, but I didn't see it in my cursory sweep of the Reddit thread or the attached article.
I would believe it considering they showed that breath of the wild demo without loadings and the matrix demo and you can't do that on a current SD card. Samsung phones don't accept micro sd card and the handheld pcs are too niche for mass production. So Nintendo is the answer.

Tigerlord

I had also got a google news feed from another source about this, but don't have the link, unfortunately.
Also, Samsung maybe keeping a lid on Nintendo's involvement because of Nintendo liking to keep secrets.

Last edited:
Nintendo normally goes for older technology that is lower-cost but they apply it in unique ways.

This would be quite uncharacteristic for them, unless they were able to agree on lower pricing for it. I feel like faster-than-SSD speed microSD cards would be prohibitively expensive for some time.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

I wonder if the trade off is that the card has a shorter life cycle? I imagine something has to give.

I always found it odd that Samsung never offered more than 512gb for their Sd cards.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

If Nintendo was smart they'd use an M.2 2230, much faster than this and cheaper.

Probably won't happen for the simple reason it will up the cost of the switch 2 as u need a bigger start amount and expanding storage is a pain for consumers and it also likely means that games made for that SSD speed can no longer run on a SD card so consumers can't easily expand storage.

Last edited:
This is cutting edge tech , 100 percent sure won't be used in switch 2 , knowing Nintendo they used tech 1 gen behind even Xbox and ps.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if switch 2 is as powerful as a PS4 pro or a Xbox one x

Xyphie

Can't wait for threads about people struggling to figure out why their microSD cards won't work with their Switch 2 games.

If Nintendo was smart they'd use an M.2 2230, much faster than this and cheaper.

Uses too much power, most SSD controller are in the 3-5W range during reads and often pretty high idle draws aswell. What you want a mobile-first power optimized storage solution like SD Express or UFS. When you have a device which will be like ~15W every watt matters.

This is cutting edge tech , 100 percent sure won't be used in switch 2 , knowing Nintendo they used tech 1 gen behind even Xbox and ps.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if switch 2 is as powerful as a PS4 pro or a Xbox one x

There's nothing really new here. The SD Express specification which this uses has been around for like 5 years or so. What's new here is implementing it in a microSD card rather than standard-sized SD card. In the end it's just an interface for bog-standard PCI Express.

Last edited:

CamHostage

SSD-fast I/O for Switch 2 is vital; the speed of modern consoles and PCs is game-changing and tough to go back from.

Unfortunately, this is just talking about the SD Express format, which is nothing new. (I talked about the format back in 2020.)

SD Express is out to buy already, and has not worked out as promised. Its theoretical bandwidth is transfer speeds up to 4GB/sec for standard cards and 2GB/s for Micro SD, but real-world performance typically isn't close and then there's still seek and write to deal with. There are compromises to the format in its efforts to maintain backward-compatibility with standard SD cards, and heat and file format and other issues throttle performance. I'd love to see it actually live up to the potential, and a big manufacturer like Samsung finally bringing out its own cards might come with some answers for a few of its issues (Samsung is focusing on the minimum with their first SD Express cards, which is smart to divert from the bogus max,) but so far, it's been a frustrating disappointment.

Screenshot-2020-05-21-at-18.55.29.jpg

Still, there's a lot of potential in these storage devices which might be a tweak or two away from unlocking. Nintendo might have to go proprietary on pin config or file system to actually get those throughput boosts (but pricing would be severe, plus heat is still a concern, although this first gen of Samsung cards specifically address heat concerns so maybe they do have something worked out?) but anything to actually have the loading speed advantage and the potential engine improvements of instant mass-data access is good for gaming if they can find the right solution in performance and price.

Last edited:

Hudo

I can believe it because there were quite a few third parties complaining about the game cartridges used for Switch in terms of size (and also speed, to a lesser degree). And maybe that's Nintendo going ahead. But there was also another rumor suggesting Nintendo going ahead with next-gen of Macronix cartridges for the next Switch. So who knows.

Last edited:

JordiENP

Switch was cutting edge when it came out, you can't have high tech, affordability and form factor all at once, same for PS5, or was cutting edge when it came out but for the price and form factor out had, not in general
Yeah for some reason people struggle to understand you can't have a switch in 2017 with the power of a ps4 and a silent fan with 7 watts. I bought the steam deck at launch and the fan was literally a vacuum cleaner, and that's years after the switch.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Regarding the Nintendo rumour. On a cost basis I'd expect them just to have an internal SSD with a reserved partition to act as a buffer for physical games and then use a uhs-ii/iii-like spec for their game cards and sd add-on storage. With decent prioritisation and streaming systems it'd still be very fast.

Last edited:

tkscz

Remember who Nintendo sells to the most, an average audience. You think the average Joe and Jane know how to take a gaming console apart to replace an NVMe? Working in IT, even younger people don't know how to do that on a laptop. However, popping out an SD card to pop in another? Much easier. Plus using flash memory lowers the cost.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

Xyphie

I wonder if Switch 2 games are going to need to be installed onto these SD cards to play.

Having to install games to internal/expandable storage seems like the only option to me (and likely you'll have to download a decent chunk of the game aswell). Shipping games on SSD-class carts will be prohibitively expensive, and pretty wasteful in the age of on-going updates etc as you'll have to install decently big chunks of the game to internal storage anyway. The cart will just be a physical token that acts like a license for the game.

Jesb

I hate how companies will say it does this much speed without any real world examples. Most of the time it doesn’t equal to the numbers they market.

JordiENP

Lol I can assure you that customer is not nintendo.
then who is it? Apple and Samsung doesn't support Micro sd cards and gaming pcs are still niche. Nintendo showed a Demo of BOTW with no loading screens and the matrix demo... now explain to me how are they going to do that without a new kind of micro sd card.

Beechos

then who is it? Apple and Samsung doesn't support Micro sd cards and gaming pcs are still niche. Nintendo showed a Demo of BOTW with no loading screens and the matrix demo... now explain to me how are they going to do that without a new kind of micro sd card.
How about digital camers/camcorders. Even though Apple and Samsung has no SD card slot what do you think is inside of them?

Last edited:

JordiENP

How about digital camers/camcorders. Even though Apple and Samsung has no SD card slot what do you think is inside of them?
Samsung specifically said it's a partnership with a customer. The reader needs to be specifically for this, for example the steamdeck only reads up to 100mb/s and Samsung is not going to mass produce for "cameras/camcorders" that aren't going to be able to utilize it.

Top Bottom