• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung's QD-OLED, QLED and yes, MicroLED Tvs at CES!

YOU PC BRO?!

Gold Member

Wow, Vincent is seeing 2100+ nits with this new MLA OLED panel. That’s a huge increase up from 1360 nits of the current Ex LG OLED panels (3% window).

This is a much bigger boost than what we saw with Samsungs QD-OLED.

b0uncyfr0

When will the race of nits stop? What is this fucking shit? I feel this is a stupid gimmick. So far off the references of like half a century of film making.
Ive got a CX and to say its decent in HDR is giving it high praise. Its only acceptable because i live in a country where there isnt any sun for 4-6 months :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I wouldnt even think of using it in a sunny room. There isnt much of a difference btwn the latest OLED's and my CX.

They do need to get brighter. There is a point of diminishing returns though.

vpance

Wow, Vincent is seeing 2100+ nits with this new MLA OLED panel. That’s a huge increase up from 1360 nits of the current Ex LG OLED panels (3% window).

This is a much bigger boost than what we saw with Samsungs QD-OLED.

But not at a calibrated D65 white point. Vincent said he estimated it would be 1500 nits.

The new lens layer is interesting. Billions of tiny lenses to boost light output, very neat tech.

Last edited:

Elios83

It seems Microled will finally make crts obsolete
It's good they have prototypes as small as 50" this year (although the resolution is not clear...could be lower than 4k on that screen size).
The issue is that it will still take an other few years until they're consumer viable.
When they announced the tech back in 2018 they probably thought they could reach the consumer market in 2022 but there have been a lot of issues in shrinking down the led size.
Hopefully there is an acceleration in the next couple of years.

cortadew

To my knowledge, MicroLED will have the strengths of QLED and OLED without risk of burn-in or bloom. I don't think it will eliminate the flaws of sample-and-hold tech.
I think it definately can if they work on making bfi or some new solution better. I think it can be as good as a crt in motion, and considering the response time of this technology I don't think it will be hard to implement.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it's coming! Video from Samsung themselves

I am super impressed with mini LED already and can't wait for micro

Give me all the bells and whistles

Paying Make It Rain GIF by Travis

Top Bottom