• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Save scumming!

Do you save scum?

• Total voters

zeorhymer

Who of y'alls save scum? I admit, I do in order to get the no kill achieves. As I grow older, I'm not caring about not killing everyone, but it's a hard habit to break.

Used it all the time years ago. It's an easy technique to progress through a roguelike with permadeath, but that was on PC.

Now I just play. Technically consoles let you back up saves and then restore, but what's the point? So much effort. I don't even bother restarting when I lose a character in Fire Emblem.

I save scum all the time if the game is being unfair or just plain hard. I don't know, it's something you get used to pretty easily.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I save scum a lot with horror games and grind/repeat stuff on JRPGs.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I broke Baldur’s Gate by saving too quickly and too often. But, it’s BG, so that’s a given.

Grinchy

Banned
I was terrible in XCom. Move. Save. Shoot. Save. Die. Reload.

It’s the only game that I can remember doing that But I hated losing my troops.
It doesn't help that there can be 5 aliens in some fog 10 feet away and the second your turn ends they all gang rape 3 of your members and you never could have predicted it or planned for it in any way. I love and hate that fucking game.

I was doing this tonight.
It's been too long since I played Ultima VI, so I had forgotten what all the different color potions did. Save game, try them out, write down what each color did, load game to get the potions back. But that's just one example for saving and reloading that I do with this game. Resources are scarce, bro!

It doesn't help that there can be 5 aliens in some fog 10 feet away and the second your turn ends they all gang rape 3 of your members and you never could have predicted it or planned for it in any way. I love and hate that fucking game.

Yeah. I’ve made some devastating moves and got smashed into nothing. And Xcom2 is even worse. I still have to go back and finish that because I said enough probably half way through. I hated the whole emotions crap. Had this pansy ass sniper that I had to keep alive because I didn’t have a replacement and he would freak out and panic all the time.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I did it today with Lord Saddler in RE4. Inside the barn. I try to keep my death count low. I sometimes do it just to redo a fight. Taking too many healing items too soon in the fight or using an item I could have saved.

Not something I'm usually in the habit of doing but Divinity Original Sin 2 and Pathfinder Kingmaker made me a believer in the save scum.

I'm guilty of this. Did it in xcom and valkyria chronicles. I tried abstaining from doing it in valkyria chronicles but a man can only take losing an hour long battle so many times before he succumbs to save scum.

I'd say it was a necessity in older games. Try playing through the original Max Payne without quick saving after every small skirmish. Those later levels are a nightmare.

Nowadays I let what happens, happen. I started playing Metro Exodus a few days ago and in one of the earlier levels got caught and instinctively went for that reload only to force myself to play it out and deal with spent ammo and whatnot. Now of course I realize the real problem isn't save scumming, it's that fps stealth sections need to die.

Stuart360

Well its weird these days because there are so many games that dont even give you the option to save your game anymore. But yeah it depends on the game. If i'm playing a open world game or something, and me dying would mean having to do 15mins of content again, you can bet your arse i will be saving (if i even have that option lol).

Depends on the game. Stealth games? Yes but I'm not sure I want to call it save scumming in that case but rather game over if I get detected because thats what old games would be instead of forcing me down the action path which is stupid.

masterkajo

Why would you do that? Defeats the purpose of a game if you just reload every time something bad happens. I love games that allow you to make choices and change depending on what you do. Learn to live with your decisions and consequences. Makes you appreciate every positive outcome much more.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Only when I want to give myself some checkpoints, but very rarely. Most recent example is Zelda 2. I'm never gonna fucking do that game without savestates, I'd just get bored and quit.

Airola

I was terrible in XCom. Move. Save. Shoot. Save. Die. Reload.

It’s the only game that I can remember doing that But I hated losing my troops.

I did that in Fallout 2.
For some reason I never had the guts to make a character committed to certain strength but I always ended up make the points even out so that the character wouldn't be strong in anything. And then even in the first cave there wasn't no way to stay alive unless I was horribly abusing the save system.

GymWolf

Last game where i did that was elex, but in my defence combat in that game is so shitty and unpredictable that you are kinda forced to do that.

Also in dishonored saga when i was doing my ghost run.

Banned
yo I grew up playing stuff like Max Payne on PC... and believe me I molested those F5 and F9 keys so hard that they called me Priest

Birdo

Banned
I save scum every few minutes when I'm using Retroarch. It's almost become a muscle memory thing.

Life is too short to backtrack every five minutes. I only movie forward.

Top Bottom