• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Say Nintendo announces the next Link to be a woman of color. Does she have the same personality as Link?

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Y'all, I've been thinking of ways we could spice up (but not too spicy amirite?) Link. Hopefully Nintendo blesses us and finally listens to the very loud majority of Zelda fans who love the games but hate playing as Link.

Imagine BOTW but boom, immediately you see a carmel skinned boriqua QUEEN with dyed natural styled hair, a septum piercing and hand on her hip. she immediately breaks the fourth wall, winks at the camera and lets out a tiny tina esque non sequitur that might scare Ganon to do better! (I'd give you an example of something funny but I've been called snarky)

So Neogaf what would you like your new and improved Link to look and sound like?

How about this one?

dbbvw0f-ddc82e4d-3c0d-4655-91eb-f9b6b5bc1fe6.jpg

I could live with that

ShadowLag

Had no idea people actually hate playing as link. But to make Link a female.... Why not just give sheik a game of her own or The Gerudo if Nintendo wanted to please fans wanting a female protagonist
P7E8mpc.png

Pretty much this, the franchise is absolutely filled with awesome female characters, just give one of them a damn game Nintendo, or make them playable in the mainline. People have been wanting to play as Zelda for years.

Sejan

Link is intended to be a mostly blank canvas that serves as a stand in for the player. It’s the entire reason he is a silent protagonist. His only real defined personality trait is his courage, considering that he is the bearer of the triforce of courage. With that understanding, they could make him a 4000 pound green, space donkey and he’d have the same personality—whatever the player decides to attribute to him.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
they could make him a 4000 pound green, space donkey and he’d have the same personality—whatever the player decides to attribute to him.
They did something really close to this and it changed nothing(aside from gameplay):

images

Shaqazooloo

I assume the OP is joking since nobody really dislikes Link and not many care to have him changed in such a way.

I don't care for the wokes diversity quota crap but I would like a game starring Zelda, the 3D games have already established that Zelda can handle herself for the most part, so they wouldn't have to do anything radically different to to her to justify it.

Last edited:

sn0man

The number of lazy low-quality threads I’ve had to put on ignore lately is sad. People need to start losing their thread-posting privileges. smdh
At the very least a direct move to OT if the plan is to play edge-humor. This is the best one though; so at least they’re getting better.

I assume the OP is joking since nobody really dislikes Link and not many care to have him changed in such a way.

I don't care for the wokes diversity quota crap but I would like a game starring Zelda, the 3D games have already established that Zelda can handle herself for the most part, so they wouldn't have to do anything radically different to to her to justify it.

I also think the OP is joking, as it's such an on-the-nose post.

Zelda has inherited mystic power beyond Link's, and I'd love to see the kind of new gameplay mechanics playing as her would bring to the series. In BotW she's also kind of a tech genius. Isn't it kinda assumed/rumored she will be playable in BotW 2?

I always thought she would be because in the trailer Link is taken over by some glowing force, and she has her hair in a tight bun (or is it cut short? can't tell) which would be easier than flowing hair to render for the Switch. Just assumed she would be playable.

Shaqazooloo

I also think the OP is joking, as it's such an on-the-nose post.

Zelda has inherited mystic power beyond Link's, and I'd love to see the kind of new gameplay mechanics playing as her would bring to the series. In BotW she's also kind of a tech genius. Isn't it kinda assumed/rumored she will be playable in BotW 2?

I always thought she would be because in the trailer Link is taken over by some glowing force, and she has her hair in a tight bun (or is it cut short? can't tell) which would be easier than flowing hair to render for the Switch. Just assumed she would be playable.
No rumors on her being playable but you make an interesting point about her changed look.

Aldric

All shitposting aside I don't get why for these people it's always Link that's on the chopping block because of his supposed "lack of personality". What is Mario's personality supposed to be except yelling wahoo? Or Kirby's? It's obvious Nintendo characters are popular because of their design and their association with the franchise they represent. Nobody cares about the intricacies of their psychological profiles.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don’t know how they’d do it seeing as Majora’s Mask has been and gone, but a game where you can play as the different races again would be awesome in the future. Especially with the Ruto. I hope Japan never become woke though.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This pearl clutching about games that don't exist is just as fucking dumb as the diversity quotas you're arguing against.

Every so often you see a random reply to a thread that goes along the lines of "yeah, but the next game in this series is probably going to have a gay disabled woman of colour as the protagonist!" when the OP has absolutely nothing to do with it.

If that's the first thing that comes to your mind, you've let them get to you. Your well's been poisoned and you're now more interested in being super anti-woke than you are in the actual video games. It's just as annoying. Anything that doesn't star Grizzled McActionHero as the lead is immediately dismissed as muh essjaydubya agenda, it's so boring. People REE'ing at fucking Ratchet & Clank for having a female action hero lombax, even though if these people were actually old enough, they would remember that Ratchet & Clank 2 had one in 2003.

The horseshoe is real, even when it's poorly veiled satire.

Last edited:
Top Bottom