• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Say Nintendo announces the next Link to be a woman of color. Does she have the same personality as Link?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Is this inspired by the REE thread I got banned in about making Princess Zelda black? Why a woman and why black? Zelda is based on a trite rescue the princess theme which has evolved, but still always has a Link that is recognizable. Changing that for the sake of meeting some representation quota makes no sense. It puts the brand at risk of some alienation and doesn't capitalize on the 35years of Links being an elfish looking dude with yellow/dirty blonde hair. Representation doesn't need to take over fictional franchises with cartoon characters of made up races in worlds that only have a handful of towns that magically have genetic diversity in populations in the 10s.

Why not introduce Maria as the black half-sister of Mario who has the hots for Bowser and make a game out of that?

mxbison

BotW was my first Zelda game and Link was one of the most forgettable characters I've ever played, so not sure what personality there is to copy.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This pearl clutching about games that don't exist is just as fucking dumb as the diversity quotas you're arguing against.

Every so often you see a random reply to a thread that goes along the lines of "yeah, but the next game in this series is probably going to have a gay disabled woman of colour as the protagonist!" when the OP has absolutely nothing to do with it.

If that's the first thing that comes to your mind, you've let them get to you. Your well's been poisoned and you're now more interested in being super anti-woke than you are in the actual video games. It's just as annoying. Anything that doesn't star Grizzled McActionHero as the lead is immediately dismissed as muh essjawdubya agenda, it's so boring. People REE'ing at fucking Ratchet & Clank for having a female action hero lombax, even though if these people were actually old enough, they would remember that Ratchet & Clank 2 had one in 2003.

The horseshoe is real, even when it's poorly veiled satire.
Attention

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Why not just make a Zelda game whose protagonist is Zelda?

I fail to see the allure of gender bending pre-established characters just for the sake of it.

Ten_Fold

Doubt it, they would make Zelda the main playable character before that. I can see BOTW2 having some playable Zelda sections, maybe split from levels where Link can’t get to, kinda like when you play other characters in wind waker.

Mato

Not this again. This discussion has been exhausted pre-BOTW and no, I don't need to see Link have an arbitrary extreme makeover.

nkarafo

ohhh.png
What if Zelda turns out a dude?
Careful there. We don't accept this path. The correct one is changing males to females. And white to black. We have spoken.

burst

can you image the articles and thread from social justice warriors when Nintendo creates a female black link who doesn't have a voice...

Birdo

Banned
Link has no less personality than Mario, Samus, Master Chief, Sonic, and countless other big game characters. Why the obsession over Link's gender? It's odd. Leave him alone.

M

Mr.Vodoo

Unconfirmed Member
I do not understand American politics. It just comes off as a bunch of silly people according to Bill Maher. Why is it politically correct to say Persons of Color instead of black or brown? I've seen enough white people to know their skin tone is also a color, unless I missed something when I went to school.

Maybe I need to enroll in Michigan State University to study Surviving the Coming Zombie Apocalypse, or Indiana State University, where I can do a course in the Philosophy of Star Trek in order to make sense of this :messenger_pensive:

clem84

Gold Member
Link. Hopefully Nintendo blesses us and finally listens to the very loud majority of Zelda fans who love the games but hate playing as Link.
I've been playing Zelda games since the very first one and I have literally never heard that before.

Why is Resetera like that
Yeah, these threads have been popping up here recently and it confuses the hell out of me.

I do not understand American politics. It just comes off as a bunch of silly people according to Bill Maher. Why is it politically correct to say Persons of Color instead of black or brown? I've seen enough white people to know their skin tone is also a color, unless I missed something when I went to school.

Maybe I need to enroll in Michigan State University to study Surviving the Coming Zombie Apocalypse, or Indiana State University, where I can do a course in the Philosophy of Star Trek in order to make sense of this :messenger_pensive:
Just be yourself. Don't beat yourself up, share your viewpoint and that's honestly all anyone is looking for.

I'm American and these threads are embarassing to me, so if you're trying to "fit in" with nonsense, then who benefits from that? Sounds like your head is in the right place already. Chin up!

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What made BOTW great were the champions (urbosa) don’t worry about changing the main character links design is so great.
356b0713694e9d0bea011ec33b62d4ce.gif

AJUMP23

If you want a variety of main characters just have a Zelda game where you play as the champions. Then you cover the spectrum of play styles and Hyrule inhabitants.

1b5.jpg

Last edited:

royox

Link is the Hero chosen by the goddess to be reborn every time Evil (ganon in some of his shapes) is unleashed on Hyrule. Zelda is that godess, that fell in love with Link and is reborn with him every time.

Link can NOT be a woman and can NOT be "poc" cause we literally know how the first Hero was. So a "black woman Link" is not Link and would be a no buy for me and I don't skip a zelda game since SNES.

I absolutely would play a Zelda game with Zelda as MC. Would be so badass.

fart town usa

Gold Member
BotW was my first Zelda game and Link was one of the most forgettable characters I've ever played, so not sure what personality there is to copy.
The game actually does a good job (probably for the first time in a Zelda game) with explaining why Link is silent. The game doesn't go out of it's way to give you certain plot details but a lot of stuff is there if you stumble on it. BOTW is actually Zelda's story arc rather than Link's. Not trying to white knight the game, I think it's overhyped myself, but just wanted to toss that out in case you missed certain journals or didn't get all the memories.

Gp1

*open the topic tab

How's about a character creation for link in the new Zelda??

* quickly shut the tab and turnoff the pc.

wvnative

In seriousness, it baffles me how people have time to sit around and dream up stuff like "what if link was a black woman" and get all excited in the process...

Thankfully Nintendo will simply keep making games they want to make.

MiguelItUp

Eh, Link doesn't really have a personality, but he DOES have a specific look that people have become attached to. So suddenly just changing him completely only to just continue to call him Link doesn't seem just. Just make a different game, lol.

Maybe a Zelda spin-off with a different character if anything. The Mario universe has seen plenty of those.

Saber

Gold Member
In seriousness, it baffles me how people have time to sit around and dream up stuff like "what if link was a black woman" and get all excited in the process...

Thankfully Nintendo will simply keep making games they want to make.

We have examples here in this very thread, its a reflex of social media. People don't care if it makes sense or gonna change the game in any way, they just want to "trigger" people or win social points.

They don't even stop to think that the very act of changing Link sex is problematic. By doing this, they pretty much admit that Zelda games has no good/worth female characters and they have to rely on sex change of the male protagonist.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
They don't even stop to think that the very act of changing Link sex is problematic. By doing this, they pretty much admit that Zelda games has no good/worth female characters and they have to rely on sex change of the male protagonist.
Or....they're just having fun with what-if/rule 63 scenarios.

theHFIC

I don't give a shit what Link or Zelda looks like in a game.

The fact that the weapons all break makes Breath of the Wild a worse Zelda game than that CD-i one.

This whole thread is trying to start edgelord controversy that doesn't even exist. How creepy.

Top Bottom