• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Say Nintendo announces the next Link to be a woman of color. Does she have the same personality as Link?

TheContact

the damsel in distress trope is overused but that's a foundation of zelda. it would be dumb to change link into a woman, but nintendo could do something cool with the zelda franchise with a female lead--just not link

8bitpill

Only if we can get the "Chad" version of Link we've all been waiting for since the late 80's. This version of Link would be crushing Moblins and chasing fairy pun while Zelda plays it cool and gives him the cold shoulder.

zeldacartoon-640x396.jpg

Link has NO personality, intentionally. His aesthetic is the only thing going for him.

In fact if I was Nintendo I would lean deeper into him have a feminised look. His gender is so unimportant that you might as well make him as appealing as you can across both genders. Zelda is very popular with women so it makes sense.

That was me just answering the title. Obv OP got pretty extreme pretty fast lol.

Mabdia

If they want another character as the protagonist, they should have the decency of call it with another name. Link has to be the exact way he is.

If they want to do a game with a woman of any ethnicity, there is no problem and that would be really nice, i guess.

But they need to change ethnicity and the gender of a character that already exist? Why not do something totally new? I mean, i really think that if they do something new is really inclusive and respectful to people that belongs to any ethnicity or gender.

But hey, why not just virtue signaling changing the ethnicity and a gender of a over 30 years old established character just because?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's kinda interesting to me that these conversations always revolve around Zelda more than Mario.

If we're talking representation then making adjustments to the Mario series would have a greater impact culturally speaking.

Instead the fixation is always on the Zelda series which is substantially more popular with the "core gamer" and wouldn't have as broad of an impact.

This leads me to believe that this is partially or even mostly about changing and attacking nerd spaces to conform to the latest social justice trends than anything else.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
That wouldn’t be Link. I would try it, but I want to play as Link. Link is a nobody that allows me to enjoy the world. If they suddenly turn the main character of Zelda into someone else, they will add background story and a lot of other shit I don’t care for.

Last edited:
Oh god, this reminds me of some of the recent articles from Zeldadungeon...

GeorgPrime

Banned
Y'all, I've been thinking of ways we could spice up (but not too spicy amirite?) Link. Hopefully Nintendo blesses us and finally listens to the very loud majority of Zelda fans who love the games but hate playing as Link.

Imagine BOTW but boom, immediately you see a carmel skinned boriqua QUEEN with dyed natural styled hair, a septum piercing and hand on her hip. she immediately breaks the fourth wall, winks at the camera and lets out a tiny tina esque non sequitur that might scare Ganon to do better! (I'd give you an example of something funny but I've been called snarky)

So Neogaf what would you like your new and improved Link to look and sound like?

I dont care as long as they dont repeat the bad Breath of the wild design xD

BabyYoda

Banned
We are all people of colour, I've yet to meet a person completely white or black, even albinos that are devoid of melanin have a kind of pink glow about them :p Do you mean a person with some African ancestry? I'd say keep Link Asian looking, last time I checked, all Asian people have melanin as well!

Gamerguy84

Everyone but Paul from RGT has melanin.

I'm joking Paul. You've probably just never stepped outside and activated it yet.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Maybe someone can check whether Link's gender was every mentioned in another game. Just claim Link is a transwoman in Zelda 2 and re-release it on Switch for $60. Everyone's a winner... especially Nintendo without having to do any work and charge full whack.

Top Bottom