• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorn Pre-Alpha 2014 Demo vs Retail 2022 Graphics Comparison

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

Drizzlehell

Banned
There's still going to be a horde of nerds coming out of the woodwork to bitch about how the potato version from 2014 looked better than the final product.

Like, of course the retail release looks far better than anything that we've seen before it. Go out and touch grass.

Last edited:

Comandr

Started playing this last night. Visually stunning and a great soundscape. Lustmord was a great pick for this project. There’s a dark, haunting beauty to all of it.

Tarin02543

Anyone who is still waiting on their cdkeys key? I ordered yesterday but nothing, no paypal confirmation nor cdkeys receipt.

Banned
Wait, 2014? How long has this game been in development?

it was a Kickstarter project, and they first wanted to launch it episodically, the first Episode was supposed to be called Scorn Part 1: Dasein

("Dasein" is german, in this context would translate to something like "Existence")

they also sponsored the Easy Allies Podcast 6 years ago lol

Last edited:

GenericUser

it was a Kickstarter project, and they first wanted to launch it episodically, the first Episode was supposed to be called Scorn Part 1: Dasein

("Dasein" is german, in this context would translate to something like "Existence")

lol, I didn't know that. Nice.

Akuji

Existence doesnt translate it perfectly but i also dont know how to translate it correctly.
But i would say its more like conscious.

Haemi

Existence doesnt translate it perfectly but i also dont know how to translate it correctly.
But i would say its more like conscious.
You could take it apart:
“da sein“ => “being there“
I would translate it to „presence“, „being“ or „existence“

Stuart360

this has been in development since 2014? it took them 8 years to make this!?
Only 10 devs, and they had money problems throughout development, with MS giving them money to finish the game a couple of years ago.

Plus regardless of its length, its a beautiful game, one of the most atmospheric games ever made imo. It takes time to make graphics like this, especially for a handful of devs. There are zero prebought assets being used here.

Last edited:
Started playing this last night. Visually stunning and a great soundscape. Lustmord was a great pick for this project. There’s a dark, haunting beauty to all of it.
The sound..I feel like it should be getting more respect because of how terrifyingly creepy it sounds. Its the game where if i need to put the controller down for a minute I have to turn it off, I can't run to the bathroom with that scary shit on lol

The final version is more dry and crusty.
Looks more like old ruins rather than fleshy corridors in some spots
Dry and Crusty is the best description of this game yet.

I'll finish it up sometime this weekend. I still feel as though the Microsoft should never have promoted this game and just surprised released it.
I think people would have been more forgiving and word of dry mouth would have been enough.

Comandr

The sound..I feel like it should be getting more respect because of how terrifyingly creepy it sounds. Its the game where if i need to put the controller down for a minute I have to turn it off, I can't run to the bathroom with that scary shit on lol
Haha. Absolutely. Your post reminded me of this comic. The last game I can think of that had such unnerving atmospheric ambiance was coincidentally Alien Isolation.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There's still going to be a horde of nerds coming out of the woodwork to bitch about how the potato version from 2014 looked better than the final product.

Like, of course the retail release looks far better than anything that we've seen before it. Go out and touch grass.

What if I'm allergic to grass and it fucks my eyes and nose up?

benno

so they pulled a "dark souls 2", turned off all the lighting/shadow effects and speculars, made everything flat and added better textures and fog to compensate for it.

Last edited:
this has been in development since 2014? it took them 8 years to make this!?

Here is a small history lesson in regards to Scorn's development from our review cor Scorn for those are curious.

"Scorn has quite the roller coaster of a development history. The game was originally announced back in 2014 that showcased pre-alpha footage for a Kickstarter campaign that was not successful.

Even though the Kickstarter didn't go as planned, the developer continued to work hard on the game. Ebb Software was planning to release Scorn in two-parts, but then in January of 2015, the company received private funding for their title and went into full production in February of 2015. In 2017, Ebb Software launched another Kickstarter with a goal of €150,000 (euros) that was reached in September of that same year.

Then in August of 2018 Ebb Software announced that Scorn would release as a full single packaged product instead of the original two-part release. Fast forward to May of 2020 the developer announced that the game would be published on PC and as a timed exclusive for only the Xbox Series X and Series S running at 4K resolution and 60 FPS. Ebb Software has also stated that they didn't want to optimize or release the game on previous generations platforms because it would hurt the overall experience and be a waste of development time. Yes, Scorn is a game that is only available on the new generation hardware. "

This should shed light a bit more.

Last edited:

Cattlyst

Definitely prefer the art style of the final release. Looks like somewhere along the line they leaned hard into the Giger aesthetic and it really paid off. Shit looks and feels more like an Alien game than any actual Alien game IMO. These guys should be snapped up to make a proper Aliens FPS.

Last edited:

Cryio

The game is so small scale, so simple in it's elements (it's mostly static geometry with a few movable objects). It's just your typical Unreal 4 game, no RT.

It's also extremely post-process heavy and it's using TAA. This could've had FSR2 or FSR1 on consoles and you CAN NOT TELL a difference in resolution.

The game's optimization is excellent btw. It doesn't have any fancy particles, tons of shadows, no crazy tessellation and even the texture are just ok.

This would've run at 1080p30 on both Xbox One and PS4 on Day 1.

I'm getting like 1440p120 on a 5700 XT, without FSR2 enabled. The FSR2 implementation in this game is superb btw. Both for visuals and performance.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Here is a small history lesson in regards to Scorn's development from our review cor Scorn for those are curious.

"Scorn has quite the roller coaster of a development history. The game was originally announced back in 2014 that showcased pre-alpha footage for a Kickstarter campaign that was not successful.

Even though the Kickstarter didn't go as planned, the developer continued to work hard on the game. Ebb Software was planning to release Scorn in two-parts, but then in January of 2015, the company received private funding for their title and went into full production in February of 2015. In 2017, Ebb Software launched another Kickstarter with a goal of €150,000 (euros) that was reached in September of that same year.

Then in August of 2018 Ebb Software announced that Scorn would release as a full single packaged product instead of the original two-part release. Fast forward to May of 2020 the developer announced that the game would be published on PC and as a timed exclusive for only the Xbox Series X and Series S running at 4K resolution and 60 FPS. Ebb Software has also stated that they didn't want to optimize or release the game on previous generations platforms because it would hurt the overall experience and be a waste of development time. Yes, Scorn is a game that is only available on the new generation hardware. "

This should shed light a bit more.

I forgot about tthat two-part thing lol.

Top Bottom